No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Camelot Episode tag above ^ isn't working for me. Does anyone else have another link?
    http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/land...nchan2&s=59146
    Shop through Big Crumbs for your online purchases to receive a little bit of your money back.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      I know. Sadly, I'm not holding my breath on Jack either. And I fear there may be quite a few fans who asphyxiate before Season Ten's (or series) finale. If they could grab RDA for even the briefest of cameos, that would be great!

And I understand what you mean about Mitchell, and by extension, Vala. I know many here may disagree with me, so I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I have never wanted Sam to be the main focus of the show to the level of anything even remotely close to Jack. To me, Richard Dean Anderson is the only one who had that opportunity, and actually deserved it. Still, towards the end of The Original SG-1's run, they were all more like equals than anything else, which was great. Richard Dean Anderson had the behind-the-scenes leverage, but when it came to the fans, I don't think he was really any more popular than the other three.

When Jack/RDA left, while I liked the concept of Sam leading SG-1 with Daniel and Teal'c, I never really wanted her to overshadow them in any respect. All three of them have played an important role over the years, and they deserve their time to shine.

It's quite different now, though. The fact that the three original characters rarely interact with each other says a lot about how much it's changed. Sam, Teal'c and Daniel are no longer the focuses of the show, and their individual struggles and their complex relationship don't matter anymore.

Really, I don't want Cameron or Vala to go away. I think it's possible for this show to thrive with such a powerhouse of actors at its disposal. It's all a matter of utilization. Sam, Daniel and Teal'c have seniority and should be treated like they do, imo. When it comes to deciding who should be wallpapered, it shouldn't be the typically silent one, or the one who's not as easy to write. It may have something to do with preference, but I'd really like to think that these five actors/characters can gain some kind of equal ground on the show from now on. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they're used in the season premiere. That'll tell us where the show is headed.
      I see what you mean. I never wanted the show to become all about Sam either, I don't think any of us really did. It was first and foremost the team dynamics that made it such a great show. And don't get me wrong, I'd give anything, anything to have Jack back, but I don't think that's gonna happen. The thing is, I don't feel like Sam's leadership in season8 was overshadowing anyone. It certainly didn't feel like it was dominating the show. Some people think that if Sam were to lead, then she would become the primary focus of the show. I don't think that would necisarily be the case.
      I don't want the characters of Vala and Cam to leave either. They are good actors. What I would like is for their characters to be handled better, and therefore their acting skills to be utilised better. And also, while I understand that they're introducing new characters and therfore have to spend a certain amount of time incorporating them, I don't think their roles should overshadow the rest of the original team. And as far as I can tell without having seen for myself, that seems to be what's happened.
      I'm not saying that the new characters should take a backseat anymore than I want the original characters to take a back seat, I just think they need to, as you say so well, gain some equal ground. There should be more balance.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        yep, actually the last chapter is more of an epilogue and hopefully i'll be putting it up later on this week.
        See, I *knew* this would happpen! I started reading it, and I'm on chapter 3 now, and it's so dang good I can't STOP reading it, and now I'm gonna finish it, and then I'm gonna whine and whinge all week until you post the epilogue! But it's your own fault, isn't it? Posting such an awesome Sam-centric story and then making me read it. If only it was *bad* I could stop now and cut my losses; save myself four days of whining. But ohhh no, it had to be frickin' *fantastic*... d'oh.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435

... Also, I don't need to see Jack to fulfill #10-just the other characters talking about him would do me. The man still exists, and had been a very important part of their lives for eight years. You'd think they'd mention him, and how he might be reacting to what's going on with them and the war with the Ori now.

Plus-I still think he and Sam are secretly married, so I'd like to see her mention him now and again.
          Ya think?! Tell me how the new Washington-based Director of HomeWORLD Security would not be a player in this whole "the Orii are building a fleet and coming to town" scenario. Even some of the last episodes' "meetings", with the Russians and that whole Woolsey team of delegates off-world, seemed to be screaming out the obvious: Where's Jack?!

Yes, we know RDA is gone but a couple telephone conferences in the briefing room would have gotten the important points across and helped to integrate S9 arcs.

BTW, anyone notice the absence of "the red phone" this past season? Landry didn't seem to have much recourse to the White House. Well, the red phone could now be linked directly to Jack's position as DHWS. I'd love to see a scene with Sam actually picking up the red phone and getting in some time with Jack too!

Well, it's over and done with. Will we see the return of the red phone in S10? Will we see Jack intervening (finally) and living up to his title? Will Sam find a way to shut down the Supergate and save the day?

And what about Naomi?!
          Last edited by ChopinGal; 13 March 2006, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I joke about naming the show SG-Carter and getting it over with, but I of course agree with you all.

The truth is, we want LOTS of Carter but in context with what made the show great. The team. The team dynamic. Her interactions with Daniel and Teal'c and Jack. That was magic.

It's funny looking back at Matter of Time which one could easily label a "Carter centric" ep. But was it really? Jack had the secondary story with Cromwell that fit in quite nicely with the tone and tenor of the show. With the exception of Daniel (who was offworld for this ep), everyone had something important they needed to do or were involved in.

And the solution?

It had nothing to do with contacting our allies or looking for a magical cure from some super duper doohickie. We didn't whisk out to the planet on a big ol' honkin' earth ship to beam a nuke down to the gate (and also beam up Hank's team).

It was a totally frustrated Carter completely irritated at her leadership's decision to simply blow up the SGC because they didn't know what to do. And those beats with Teal'c were so great too:
            SAM: You know, they're proceeding with a plan that makes assumptions about gravity and space-time with absolutely no regard for the fact that it completely contradicts our observations.

TEAL'C: I see.

SAM: In other words, Teal'c, they don't really know what the hell's going on, so they're just going to blow it up. There doesn't seem to be a damn thing I can do about it.
            And she got to use food to explain her train o' thought too. Sweeeeeeeeeet.

But no...we don't want all Sam/all the time...that being said, do we want more Sam? HECK YEAH!...but we want the Sam who had to use her mind and her ingenuity to Carter!Rig a solution with the limited resources of earth while still being the the Sam who was imperfect but dilligent, honorable, brave and funny.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Deepspace: And Über, your new avatar is... intriguing.
              ÜberSG-1Fan: Indeed.
              Hmm, Tracy Jane now also has an interesting avatar.

Methinks me might like this final episode of season9..............

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                See, I *knew* this would happpen! I started reading it, and I'm on chapter 3 now, and it's so dang good I can't STOP reading it, and now I'm gonna finish it, and then I'm gonna whine and whinge all week until you post the epilogue! But it's your own fault, isn't it? Posting such an awesome Sam-centric story and then making me read it. If only it was *bad* I could stop now and cut my losses; save myself four days of whining. But ohhh no, it had to be frickin' *fantastic*... d'oh.
                There should be a warning label on all Sky's stories. This may become addictive, proceed at your own risk.

I love when a story is so well-written that it does keep you totally hooked. There are some great storytellers here in Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  Ya think?! Tell me how the new Washington-based Director of HomeWORLD Security would not be a player in this whole "the Orii are building a fleet and coming to town" scenario.

Even some of the last episodes' "meetings", with the Russians and that whole Woolsey team of delegates off-world, seemed to be screaming out the obvious: Where's Jack?!

Yes, we know RDA is gone but a couple telephone conferences in the briefing room would have gotten the important points across and helped to integrate S9 arcs.

BTW, anyone notice the absence of "the red phone" this past season? Landry didn't seem to have much recourse to the White House. Well, the red phone could now be linked directly to Jack's position as DHWS. I'd love to see a scene with Sam actually picking up the red phone and getting in some time with Jack too!

Well, it's over and done with. Will we see the return of the red phone in S10? Will we see Jack intervening (finally) and living up to his title? Will Sam find a way to shut down the Supergate and save the day?

And what about Naomi?!

I love the idea of Sam picking up the red phone and talking to JAck!!

Spoiler:
                  Regarding the suprgate wasn't the wormhole vala fell into an incoming wormhole during "Beachhead"?? So this means the Ori can come and go and dial only once?? *argh I wish tptb would stop rewriting the rules for how things work on the show*

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                    :

But no...we don't want all Sam/all the time...that being said, do we want more Sam? HECK YEAH!...but we want the Sam who had to use her mind and her ingenuity to Carter!Rig a solution with the limited resources of earth while still being the the Sam who was imperfect but dilligent, honorable, brave and funny.

I agree!!! More Sam doing all the things she does the best no more wallpaper or behind the scenes gal. And a mention of JAck ever now and again will be fine ... By Sam, Daniel or Teal'c. THey people that know him the best. His team and once upon a time "family"

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      I joke about naming the show SG-Carter and getting it over with, but I of course agree with you all.

The truth is, we want LOTS of Carter but in context with what made the show great. The team. The team dynamic. Her interactions with Daniel and Teal'c and Jack. That was magic.

It's funny looking back at Matter of Time which one could easily label a "Carter centric" ep. But was it really? Jack had the secondary story with Cromwell that fit in quite nicely with the tone and tenor of the show. With the exception of Daniel (who was offworld for this ep), everyone had something important they needed to do or were involved in.

And the solution?

It had nothing to do with contacting our allies or looking for a magical cure from some super duper doohickie. We didn't whisk out to the planet on a big ol' honkin' earth ship to beam a nuke down to the gate (and also beam up Hank's team).

It was a totally frustrated Carter completely irritated at her leadership's decision to simply blow up the SGC because they didn't know what to do. And those beats with Teal'c were so great too:
                      SAM: You know, they're proceeding with a plan that makes assumptions about gravity and space-time with absolutely no regard for the fact that it completely contradicts our observations.

TEAL'C: I see.

SAM: In other words, Teal'c, they don't really know what the hell's going on, so they're just going to blow it up. There doesn't seem to be a damn thing I can do about it.
                      And she got to use food to explain her train o' thought too. Sweeeeeeeeeet.

Exactly! Very well put Über.
                      Heck Yeah, indeed.
                      And thankyou for using Matter of Time as an example (my fave ep). Definitely a team ep, but it had brilliant Sam moments, and good interaction between the rest of the team.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                        Ah, but it will be all the sweeter when you get that final chapter!
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

deepspace: Hehehe, I like this pic. She does look kind of.... exasperated, like she's tried to explain something to someone a dozen times and they still don't understand it.
                          AD: Haha, well if you'll watch the episode you'll find out that she is indeed doing the exact thing you've described How's that for acting?
                          You mean I got it right? yay!

And wow, isn't it great that Amanda is such a brilliant actor that it's possible to tell what kind of emotion she's acting just from a still picture? I think that's way cool.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Ooooooooh, piccies
                            Spacesuit Sam piccies!

*grins*

They're gooooooood.

deepspace is seriously starting to like the look of this ep.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Yeah, the last one looks really cool. I liked that scene in the episode. I was also really worried for Sam, but the scene looked great.
                              http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/land...nchan2&s=59146
                              Shop through Big Crumbs for your online purchases to receive a little bit of your money back.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                                And how do you get to the point of being ready for those intense moments?--especially when there are a gazillion crew etc around. That's one of the things I really admire about actors. I remember from one commentary (I think Entity for the deathbed scene) they talked about clearing the set of everyone but the actors and necessary camera people and that this was a very rare thing to do. I don't remember if they did that for New Order. I may have to go back and watch. I've seen that New Order scene several times now and it is still gut wrenching.
                                i've not noticed a response to this, so i'm sorry if i missed it somehow.
                                i can tell you that for the scene at the end where fifth reveals replicarter, some of the shots were a body double (the one of the legs), and the ones that were from the back in which she was actually naked from the waist up, was actually AT. the commentary says that there were like, about 3 people on set for the shooting of that. i think for the crying scenes, there was probably a fairly full crew there, because the shot is slightly more complicated. if i was to guess, i'd say AT went off to a quiet area by herself and made herself think about sad things... like puppies fighting each other to the death in a cage match, for example.

i'd say she lets it all build up, and then goes to the set and lets it accumulate, and just throws out a belter of a scene. but that is just really speculation. i don't recall hearing this discussed in any great detail, as in how the actors prepare for the intense emotional scenes. except for apparently in an intense moment, AT and RDA sometimes had difficulty looking at each other because they would make each other crack up laughing.

Comment

Working...
                                X