Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55
    It may be too late, but take an anti-nausea pill or at least don't watch the PU commentary on a full stomach. The fawning over CB is nauseating. (IMHO)
    its not too late, i've only watched the first disc, but i did notice that they tend to fawn over the guest actresses more now then they used to. i think they've just gotten used to amanda being so wonderful. there's still the occasional "wow, would ya look at her" moment, but for the most part i think they've just gotten used to her brilliance.
    Spoiler:

which i'm slightly surprised at considering they had to do without her for a few weeks. but there is a little less 'wow look at amanda' and a little more 'wow look at random guest star'. season 4-6 or 7, contained large quantities of 'oh my god, how perfect is amanda in every way' from TPTB. you can also tell how difficult the strain of RDA's schedule was on everyone. but thats just based on the first disc.

great moment on the director's series for avatar though, when she's asked what "TBA" stands for and she responds with "The Brilliant Amanda". so very true.

Comment

Oooooh... Barbie! I really want to buy these discs, arrrrrrgh. Well, hopefully my mum won't be able to hold out much longer. Usually if I don't buy them within 3 weeks of them being released, she gets too impatient and buys them for me. Fingers crossed, eh?
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

the latest chapter of trinkets
        http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...isjointed.html

set in and around Death Knell...oh, and Pete alert.

i refuse to demonize the guy, so be warned and get over it
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          the latest chapter of trinkets
          http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...isjointed.html

set in and around Death Knell...oh, and Pete alert.

i refuse to demonize the guy, so be warned and get over it
          I agree, Skydiver. He can't be that bad a guy or Sam would never have been engaged to him. I think we just happened to see a slightly over protective side on screen. Actually, I really hate it when Pete is portrayed as this really evil guy, in fact, he's pretty much the victim in all of this.

And if they have a problem with you.... wait til I get to the final chapter of Shattered. I have my draft ready, and well, Pete is probably the hero of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
            I agree, Skydiver. He can't be that bad a guy or Sam would never have been engaged to him. I think we just happened to see a slightly over protective side on screen. Actually, I really hate it when Pete is portrayed as this really evil guy, in fact, he's pretty much the victim in all of this.

And if they have a problem with you.... wait til I get to the final chapter of Shattered. I have my draft ready, and well, Pete is probably the hero of the story.
            personally i think pete was the victim of poor writing. one of the few incidents of this i have seen in stargate, so its unfortunate. i actually thought i would like him during the first 20 minutes of chimera. that episode was probably the only time i was disappointed with sam's character ever, as far as i can recall.

(she doesn't end up with pete in your story, does she TJ? )

Comment

i can't wait to read it. i'm a weenie and waiting until it's done

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                personally i think pete was the victim of poor writing. one of the few incidents of this i have seen in stargate, so its unfortunate. i actually thought i would like him during the first 20 minutes of chimera. that episode was probably the only time i was disappointed with sam's character ever, as far as i can recall.

(she doesn't end up with pete in your story, does she TJ? )
                pete fell in the plot hole of 'how did he get to the stakeout' and never clawed his way out.

to many, calling the fbi was a bit much, but i tell you, if a person has connections, they usually use them, so i really can't blame him for that given that, when farrady called back, he said 'only the pertinent' parts or something like that.

however, getting to the stakeout was the breaking point for many. it was a plot hole that could have been cured had they just either inserted a line of pete calling teh colorado pd and asking about something or, my personal idea and preference, had daniel introduce them instead of mark which gives pete a reason to drop by daniel's place, see the van, recognize the sign of a stakeout and get suspicious

sigpic

Comment

i can't wait to read it. i'm a weenie and waiting until it's done
                  It'll be a while, Sky, cos it's slated at 40 chapters, and I'm currently writing number seven. I hope it's worth the wait for you and the others.

Barbie, yes, kinda. Sorry to say it, but the main bulk of the story is set in season four/five ish, with a kind of epilogue set in season 7. So yes, the story ends with her and Pete together, and there is going to be no ship at all.

In a scenario like this, no man can come and kiss it all better, not Pete, not Jack, not even Teal'c - before you suggest it, Sky (although Teal'c plays his role ). Sorry, I'm very firm about this. No ship. Not this time.

Comment

pic. basically for the background.
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

pete fell in the plot hole of 'how did he get to the stakeout' and never clawed his way out.

to many, calling the fbi was a bit much, but i tell you, if a person has connections, they usually use them, so i really can't blame him for that given that, when farrady called back, he said 'only the pertinent' parts or something like that.

however, getting to the stakeout was the breaking point for many. it was a plot hole that could have been cured had they just either inserted a line of pete calling teh colorado pd and asking about something or, my personal idea and preference, had daniel introduce them instead of mark which gives pete a reason to drop by daniel's place, see the van, recognize the sign of a stakeout and get suspicious
                      I seem to remember that Pete was meant to be a journalist originally. That would make more sense with him checking her out and having the contacts etc. The way he did it made it seem like an abuse of his power as a police officer, and phoning the FBI was just a little weird, as you say.

I never considered the possibility of Daniel introducing them, it does sound a lot more plausible, given that Sam wasn't that close to Mark, as I recall.

But I still maintain that Pete wasn't a bad guy. I always rationalise this by saying that she stayed with him for over a year (could be two depending on time gaps between episodes, and the "3 year" line from Ripple Effect). She must have had reasons for being with him and she would have grilled him for why he was there at the stakeout.

Yeah, the writers made a huge mistake with Pete, but he's not a bad guy. I'm always very appreciative of fic writers who see that, because too many fics for my liking have him down as the evil-rapist-homicidal-maniac. I was actually asked if Pete was the rapist in my fic and I was shocked. It seems that if you are a shipper and write any sort of violent fic, Pete has to be the villain.

Comment

personally it was the fact that he couldn't take no for an answer. that he actually followed her (the how doesn't really matter to me), and the fact that he stormed off the morning after he slept with sam (IMO for a very stupid reason, i.e. can't take no for an answer). he was told that she couldn't tell him what she did, i.e. classified, he was told by his FBI buddy to leave it alone too, and he didn't. and i don't think his reasons were either believeable enough or good enough. so he came across to me as being a controlling jerk faced jerk. and the sudden turn around and joking about it in affinity just made it worse to me. (although there literally wasn't anything in that episode that i found either believeble or entertaining).

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                          In a scenario like this, no man can come and kiss it all better, not Pete, not Jack, not even Teal'c - before you suggest it, Sky (although Teal'c plays his role ). Sorry, I'm very firm about this. No ship. Not this time.
                          which is fine by me. don't get me wrong, i liek a good ship fic but...hey i love a good gen sam fic too. adn they're all too rare these days

sigpic

Comment

personally it was the fact that he couldn't take no for an answer. that he actually followed her (the how doesn't really matter to me), and the fact that he stormed off the morning after he slept with sam (IMO for a very stupid reason, i.e. can't take no for an answer). he was told that she couldn't tell him what she did, i.e. classified, he was told by his FBI buddy to leave it alone too, and he didn't. and i don't think his reasons were either believeable enough or good enough. so he came across to me as being a controlling jerk faced jerk. and the sudden turn around and joking about it in affinity just made it worse to me. (although there literally wasn't anything in that episode that i found either believeble or entertaining).
                            i do think he was a bit of a crumb. and he did act like a jerk. but, like many other characters, he was sacrificed for the plot. he was reduced to a cliche because that's how these writers see things. they don't take the time to make it rational or believable, they take the easy way out.

and the easy way out ws to make pete a plot device

i do wish we'd have seen sam taking him down a peg or three...but given the attitude of the show folks about women (ie writing sam how they WANT her to be, not how the character would act) it was never going to happen.

more than once i've had the suspicion that Pete is their marty sue. he was fulfilling the fantasy of the geek that gets the princess

sigpic

Comment

i do think he was a bit of a crumb. and he did act like a jerk. but, like many other characters, he was sacrificed for the plot. he was reduced to a cliche because that's how these writers see things. they don't take the time to make it rational or believable, they take the easy way out.

and the easy way out ws to make pete a plot device

i do wish we'd have seen sam taking him down a peg or three...but given the attitude of the show folks about women (ie writing sam how they WANT her to be, not how the character would act) it was never going to happen.

more than once i've had the suspicion that Pete is their marty sue. he was fulfilling the fantasy of the geek that gets the princess
                              i understood from the introduction of even the idea of his character that he was always going to be a plot device in the s/j relationship. but i don't think they should have taken it as far as they did, and i don't think he was a well written plot device (replicarter or fifth = excellent plot device IMO, pete = bad plot device IMO).

and even though i understand the reasons behind having him discover the truth about sams work, but they definitely could have had him discover it in a much better way that didn't make him a jerk. and if they had to go the way they did with it, i really think that sam should have dumped him at the end of the episode. it made her seem weaker than she really is to me, and i think it lead to me believing she has a lot more personal issues than i did before. which could have been great character development had they gone into it further, but they didn't.

i'm gonna stop now before i end up writing a thesis on character vs plot development in stargate. oh me and my wacky rambling...

Comment

You see, and I know this sounds bad, there's part of me that identifies with Pete. He's got this amazing girlfriend, really amazing and way out of his league. It must make him incredibly insecure... why on Earth would she want to be with him? Anyway, he's opened himself up to her, something that, as a hardened police officer, he probably doesn't do all that often, and then she blocks him out. He must be wondering what's going on, why it's such a big secret... maybe she doesn't really work and "work" is a synonym for he other guy she's got on the side. Especially when she works such long hours.

You can see the insecurity there, how he must feel. The thing is that we always see these things from Sam's point of view. Yes, he left her feeling insecure and vulnerable, but that's how she made him feel in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X