No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing about Grace, it was a show that was well written It would be nice to see that kind of writing this season. (and I don't mean on SGA, because GUP was a superb show)
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      i alwayss thought that grace was...that little part of sam that wants to slap jackc when he's being a smart ass. or the part that wants to play hookey, or to skip down the halls, or paint her fingernails blue...her inner rebel that wants to have fun but is always overridden by her responsibility adn duty
      Grace was the part of her who helped her think of things differently...who helped her wrap her mind around the idea her conscious self couldn't grasp.

I agree to what you said above too, but would add further that she's the side of Sam that doesn't CARE how things work. Just that they do. She didn't care about surface tension...she cared about how pretty the bubbles were...Sam's innocence and less rigid self. The core that just enjoyed what is without the need to define it. The little kid who loved to play and had no need for rules or regulations.

Her inner Cyndi Lauper (the girl who wanted to have fun).

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        Grace was the part of her who helped her think of things differently...who helped her wrap her mind around the idea her conscious self couldn't grasp.

I agree to what you said above too, but would add further that she's the side of Sam that doesn't CARE how things work. Just that they do. She didn't care about surface tension...she cared about how pretty the bubbles were...Sam's innocence and less rigid self. The core that just enjoyed what is without the need to define it. The little kid who loved to play and had no need for rules or regulations.

Her inner Cyndi Lauper (the girl who wanted to have fun).

Darn now I can't get that song out of my head Now I'll be humming it while I'm thinking of Mel and Patrick
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Belated Congrats on 3,100 Oooober!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
            Interesting poll here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=25040

"If you were dying and could only meet one character, who would it be?"
            Not many votes yet, but so far Sam's clearly in the lead.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
              Ok, so I watched New Order last night, and boy was it good. I sat there enthralled in part one and thought, "For the life of me, I can't figure out why they didn't stick with the three man team. This friggin' rocks."

On top of that, there's that scene on board the cargo ship between Sam and Teal'c. Not once in season nine have those two characters shared even a hint of a conversation. NOT ONCE. They sat and talked for that entire scene, so I ask, "Where the hell has that been this year???" New Order, Changeling, Threshold, Paradise Lost, etc., etc. How can you have an entire season without two of the main characters on the show talking to one another??? Is this just me? Am I being unreasonable? NOT ONCE! I sat there trying to find one instance in season nine that was of the same vein, but to avail. Disappointed doesn't even begin to describe the way I'm feeling.

And, for Sam's character, the episode really delivered with so many moments of substance. Not to mention the fact that the shot of her in the Replicator stocks is one of the coolest images ever on the show. I miss the replicators; I miss their menace. (Pardon the pun.)

So, I watched New Order last night, and I walked away both happy and sad. Just thought I'd share.

Melancholic ranting over. Move along, nothing to see here.
              I'm left with feeling rather bittersweet about all of Season Eight. I saw Moebius a few weeks ago - bad idea. It's just one of those things, where we couldn't have possibly imagined how S9 would turn out, so Moebius was just a great ending to a great season (imo). Looking back, I don't think I realized how good we had it... Now that we DO know, watching such great eps like Moebius, Reckoning, Threads, It's Good To Be King and New Order are kinda painful. The bar was set too high by these guys, I guess.

Comment

We need more of the Big3. Without question. They're why the show's been around so long and the lack of them is the reason some episodes fail when they didn't need to.

I rewatched Grace tonight and was struck yet again by how brilliant Amanda really is. Her mannerisms in how she brought out what Sam was feeling. Her irritation. Her sweetness with Grace. Her smarts. Her pain, both emotional and physical.

I also think I figured out who Grace is. I never subscribed to the notion that Grace was the cloud, or Sam and Jack's future child or whatever. My instinct as of tonight was that,
                Spoiler:
                just like in Grace Under Pressure where Sam was the manifestation of McKay's subconscious wisdom,
                I think that Grace was the manifestation of Sam's less sophisticated side, meaning the part of her that looks at things and sees them at their simplest and most innocent. Grace provided a tiny spark, like from the poem she recited, that helped Sam's mind formulate a new strategy.

She needed that part of her to communicate that she was going about her rescue the wrong way and her mind knew the answer was in there somewhere...but was in such a foggy haze from the concussion and her frustration at not being able to fix this, the solution just wouldn't come to the surface. So Grace was there...that part of her mind that looked at things a little differently, allowing her to consider alternate possibilities.

What do you think? Am I close?
                I seem to recall Amanda stating that she believed Grace was a part of Sam as well.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                  I'm left with feeling rather bittersweet about all of Season Eight. I saw Moebius a few weeks ago - bad idea. It's just one of those things, where we couldn't have possibly imagined how S9 would turn out, so Moebius was just a great ending to a great season (imo). Looking back, I don't think I realized how good we had it... Now that we DO know, watching such great eps like Moebius, Reckoning, Threads, It's Good To Be King and New Order are kinda painful. The bar was set too high by these guys, I guess.
                  Just think of it this way, S9 is just really Daniel having a very bad dream (Dallas), he shouldn't have had that Jaffa food Teal'c offered him. Sam will wake him up and the 3 of them (SG1) will continue their adventures under Gen. Jack O'Neill

There, now you're all ready for bed
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

or you just sit back, try to draw what enjoyment you can out of Farcegate and consider that your show ended....well whenever you want it to end.

for me, well moebius is a perfect ending for the show. the rest? well the rest is just some really good fanfic i happened to come across and it was just so realistic that i could see it
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                      Everyone seems to gush over Johnny Depp Torri's always talking about how she wants him on Atlantis. I'm very confused. Why have Depp when you can have Rothery back?
                      Haha, damn straight Tracy Jane

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        or you just sit back, try to draw what enjoyment you can out of Farcegate and consider that your show ended....well whenever you want it to end.

for me, well moebius is a perfect ending for the show. the rest? well the rest is just some really good fanfic i happened to come across and it was just so realistic that i could see it
                        I'm with ya, Sky. My team is happily fishing at Jack's cabin...well, Daniel and T have already left, leaving Jack and Sam to..."fish"
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                          Those are great! Can I steal the Bad day one? I really, really need it today. And if I can, what's your LJ name so I can credit?
                          Yes, of course you can steal! My LJ name is Gunhilda.

My LJ

Comment

I'm tellin' you guys.... nerdy Carter > all.

/edit:

Actually.... horny Carter > all.

Last edited by Bragi; 01 March 2006, 07:23 PM.

Comment

We need more of the Big3. Without question. They're why the show's been around so long and the lack of them is the reason some episodes fail when they didn't need to.

I rewatched Grace tonight and was struck yet again by how brilliant Amanda really is. Her mannerisms in how she brought out what Sam was feeling. Her irritation. Her sweetness with Grace. Her smarts. Her pain, both emotional and physical.

I also think I figured out who Grace is. I never subscribed to the notion that Grace was the cloud, or Sam and Jack's future child or whatever. My instinct as of tonight was that,
                              Spoiler:
                              just like in Grace Under Pressure where Sam was the manifestation of McKay's subconscious wisdom,
                              I think that Grace was the manifestation of Sam's less sophisticated side, meaning the part of her that looks at things and sees them at their simplest and most innocent. Grace provided a tiny spark, like from the poem she recited, that helped Sam's mind formulate a new strategy.

She needed that part of her to communicate that she was going about her rescue the wrong way and her mind knew the answer was in there somewhere...but was in such a foggy haze from the concussion and her frustration at not being able to fix this, the solution just wouldn't come to the surface. So Grace was there...that part of her mind that looked at things a little differently, allowing her to consider alternate possibilities.

What do you think? Am I close?
                              I think you hit the nail on the head! It's what I had believed when I saw this the first time.
                              In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
                              so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
                              Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
                              Hic Comitas Regit
                              Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
                              Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

For those venturing to the Who Should Lead SG1 Thread don't forget to take your First Aid Kit
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X