Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    Let's pick an episode from the beginning. Children of the Gods

What's your favorite Sam scene from that episode and why?

and if something was 'wrong' what would you have changed and why?
    My favorite scene is the one where she and Jack are walking up the ramp to go through the gate. Her eagerness and excitment at the wonder of it all was so fun.

But I also liked Sam in Apophosis' dungeon. She took the whole thing so calmly, it really showed her mettle, I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
      SNIP

2) the following snippet. It's just one word from Carter, but I love it.

KAWALSKY: I think what the Colonel is saying is... have you ever pulled out of a simulated bombing run in an F-16 at 8-plus Gs?

CARTER: Yes.

KAWALSKY: Well... it's way worse than that.
      Oh, I'd forgotten that exchange! That was priceless. The delivery was magnificent. Okay, now I have three favorite moments from that episode.

How are we going to keep ourselves to just one?

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
        Oh, I'd forgotten that exchange! That was priceless. The delivery was magnificent. Okay, now I have three favorite moments from that episode.

I agree with you there Deejay, there are so many great moments in that show, you can't just have 1 fav part.

I loved all the parts already mentioned, and I think if you put a lot of it together it may come down to how Sam came out of that episode being treated as an equal to the "guys" as a competant soldier
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          I think once they bring her back, they're going to have to tone her down a bit - I know that'll make me unpopular with Vala fans, but I think it's just the truth. I also know not everyone agrees with me, but Vala in early season nine was a little too over the top, and yes, if she stays that way, she'll end up dominating scenes in a way that won't necessarily be positive. OTOH, I think the writers are aware of that, and the actors are too. As a guest star, she could be a little burlesque, but as a regular, she'll have to find her niche without upstaging the others in every scene. I think she can do that. I choose to hope it'll work out that way. If it doesn't, then I think the integrity (and the plausibility) of the show as a whole will go down. She can't play a flouncy intergalactic sex-kitten forever, and she does have a deeper story than that, so unless the writers forgo that story entirely in favor of kitsch, I think we simply have to see a more balanced version of Vala begin to emerge as season ten progresses.

geek

Haven't the writers already aknowledged that they're going to have to tone her down? I'm certain I read that somewhere.

Originally posted by Strix varia
          Unfortunately, I think Vala is the hot-button battlefield topic for a lot of people on the thread (more so than any other topic), and all it takes is one passing shot ("I don't understand how you can't like Vala") and BAM! Coley (cranky, no doubt, from packing) comes out of hiding with guns blazing. It's a sight to behold, a thing of glorious beauty for all who share her opinion, but pretty soon other people are firing back... There are explosions everywhere; the smoke is terrible; people get hurt; AD bemoans the negativity of warfare as he trips off the anti-negativity landmines; Strix starts waving a white flag and telling people to point their guns elsewhere in a whopping display of personal hypocrisy; and Hic Comitas Regit gets blown to bits in the time it takes for the Cupcake of Doom to smash into Paris (sorry, Lys) destroying all life on earth as we know it.

All I'm saying is: Vala=hot button. I don't think there's a single person on this thread who doesn't care about other peoples' feelings, so we just need to keep this in mind and try to avoid inflammatory language when discussing Vala in relation to Sam. Pro or con, when you talk about Vala, you're probably pressing someone's hot button.
          Damn! I'm glad I had just swallowed when I read this, or else I'd be asking you to buy me a new keyboard! Very nice way to insert some levity into a hot-button issue. Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435

Do we really have to?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
              Do we really have to?
              I hope not! I know there's not a single episode where I could limit myself to just one.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                Let's pick an episode from the beginning. Children of the Gods

What's your favorite Sam scene from that episode and why?

and if something was 'wrong' what would you have changed and why?
                I love the scene in the gate room right before they're going through the gate. But more than this one, there's a very nice scene in the chamber where Daniel found the cartouche. Sam and Daniel are going all technobabble and excitment over planetary drift and the huge implications of hundreds and hundreds gate addresses and Jack is just eyeing Kawalsky with a look that's saying "geeks!" all along. Imagine Teal'c in lieu of Kawalsky and it's the first SG1 classic moment with Jack rolling his eyes, Daniel giving a lecture off world and Sam's eyes sparkling with excitment over new technology. What can I say ? I'm in love with this scene.
                Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                  LOL! Um... no. But I do like Sunkrux, AD, dancer, Ooooober and the other Vala fans who like Sam also, or are Sam fans who are at least willing to give Vala a chance. And I also like Coley, Sal, Mandy and the other people who have strong anti-Vala opinions. I love this thread, and the people on it.

Unfortunately, I think Vala is the hot-button battlefield topic for a lot of people on the thread (more so than any other topic), and all it takes is one passing shot ("I don't understand how you can't like Vala") and BAM! Coley (cranky, no doubt, from packing) comes out of hiding with guns blazing. It's a sight to behold, a thing of glorious beauty for all who share her opinion, but pretty soon other people are firing back... There are explosions everywhere; the smoke is terrible; people get hurt; AD bemoans the negativity of warfare as he trips off the anti-negativity landmines; Strix starts waving a white flag and telling people to point their guns elsewhere in a whopping display of personal hypocrisy; and Hic Comitas Regit gets blown to bits in the time it takes for the Cupcake of Doom to smash into Paris (sorry, Lys) destroying all life on earth as we know it.

All I'm saying is: Vala=hot button. I don't think there's a single person on this thread who doesn't care about other peoples' feelings, so we just need to keep this in mind and try to avoid inflammatory language when discussing Vala in relation to Sam. Pro or con, when you talk about Vala, you're probably pressing someone's hot button.

And now I'll go crawl under a rock for awhile.
                  Strix ! I thought I'd die of laughing ! And not from a giant cupcake hitting Paris. Yes, I've seen that movie. And now you all know the real reason why I moved away of Paris. .
                  And there goes "Hic Comitas Regit" in the Samandans versus Samandans wars.
                  Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Agreed mini and
                    Spoiler:
                    that's what I think the demon baby plot will acheive (besides the large amount of eye rolling from the fans). In theory it should darken her and tone her down a little. Life changing experience and all that... assuming of course we don't end up with eye injuries from all the rolling. Of course they might just pull that plot line off.. who knows.

I think once they bring her back, they're going to have to tone her down a bit - I know that'll make me unpopular with Vala fans, but I think it's just the truth. I also know not everyone agrees with me, but Vala in early season nine was a little too over the top, and yes, if she stays that way, she'll end up dominating scenes in a way that won't necessarily be positive. OTOH, I think the writers are aware of that, and the actors are too. As a guest star, she could be a little burlesque, but as a regular, she'll have to find her niche without upstaging the others in every scene. I think she can do that. I choose to hope it'll work out that way. If it doesn't, then I think the integrity (and the plausibility) of the show as a whole will go down. She can't play a flouncy intergalactic sex-kitten forever, and she does have a deeper story than that, so unless the writers forgo that story entirely in favor of kitsch, I think we simply have to see a more balanced version of Vala begin to emerge as season ten progresses.

geek
                    sigpic

Comment

A sign of things to come
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                        Agreed mini and
                        Spoiler:
                        that's what I think the demon baby plot will acheive (besides the large amount of eye rolling from the fans). In theory it should darken her and tone her down a little. Life changing experience and all that... assuming of course we don't end up with eye injuries from all the rolling. Of course they might just pull that plot line off.. who knows.

I guess you should put a warning
                        Last edited by Mandysg1; 24 February 2006, 01:57 PM.
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

And again... exactly how I feel about it Mini. I'm in the looking forward to it category too for the same reasons. My fingers are crossed that it plays out that way... they really really are. I have no doubt Amanda & Claudia will be a strong complimentary combination. In my mind Sam & Vala are almost like Yin & Yang.. remembering there's always that little dot of like in the middle

The closer it gets, the more I've been looking forward to the (potential) interaction between the Carter and Vala characters. They're so UNalike in most surface-related ways, it would be (relatively) impossible for the writing team not to have their characters interact in a sassy, head-on-head way - which bodes well for a lot of fun scenes. I don't mean fighting, either, I mean, they have such fundamentally different POVs on the universe, they'd be bound to disagree, and in as close quarters as they're going to end up being the next while, I know those two actresses are going to play off that a lot.

I was very pleased to see that the latest few batches of Vala photos contained her wearing SG BDUs more often than not and/or other clothing that was feminine and sexy, yet not "bondage-esque". Ironic that the reason for that is what it is, but I don't care. I'm just happen it IS.

I see Vala as a potentially very cool character, I have since PU aired and I was irked when she didn't meet my expectations in the beginning of season nine, but I think we did see glimpses of more just before she left, and definitely in those new photos. So I'm stoked about that.

Sam and Vala may end up respecting one another far more quickly than we'd even anticipate, given that each of them have such powerful strengths in their own right (as different as those respective strengths may be from one another), they compliment eachother well.

I've read a lot of folks (including Amanda) say that Sam needs a new female friend at the SGC, and Lam's name was thrown out, etc., but I see Vala as being even better a choice for that. Because it'll take them a while to develop that friendship (for one thing) and because they have a lot to teach one another.

Also, Claudia is such a strong actor in her own right, her chemistry with Amanda (who we all know is equally strong) is probably going to make their scenes together very fun to watch. If they get scenes together, which I'm guessing they will - the writers did such a Vala/Daniel dynamic this last round, they're going to want to tone that down a bit and allow Vala to emerge in her own right now that she's a main character (if they're smart, which I think they can be ). That means she'll have more scenes with Sam, and with Cameron, and who knows - with Teal'c.

Here's hoping. It could bring out some of the best traits we already know of in Sam Carter to have a strong interpersonal dynamic with another character to play off of once again.

geek
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1

A sign of things to come
                            Besides the briefing room scene this has got to be one of my favorites from COTG.

Sam-"Right, now with this map as a base that should be easy. All we have to do is correct for Doppler's Shift, then I should be able to arrive at a computer model that can predict the adjustments necessary to get the Gate working again.
                            Kawalski-Okay, so what did we just figure out?"

probably when they figured out she’s way smarter than they are .
                            the looks, music, and they just played of each other very well in that scene.

Comment

Some one ,Sally I think, was asking about caps from "The Scourge". Well I posted a few on my MSN space. They are not the best caps they were done very quickly. You will find them in the photo section of the site.

http://spaces.msn.com/tsaxlady/
                              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                                Teasing the thread upward with a Sam koan...

The mind is the universe.

(We want Sam's universe )
                                sorry for the OT, but simhavaktra, clear out some space in your private message inbox.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X