Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    Hmmmm. Because insinuating that Vala is ...
    something socially reprehensible cannot be accomplished in a sufficiently inoffensive manner to safeguard the sensibilities of all those present...

Oh, dear.

I must take up the silent search for a means of expression that carries meaning to all and the possibility of offense to none, again, I see. :deep sigh:

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    What happened to this great plan for in depth analysis of old episodes, by the way?
    The vast displeasure with the current episodes/season proved greater still?
    ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm not saying that we can't discuss our opinions, and I realise that whatever is said will be offensive to some. However, there are limits, and claiming you are being nice and gentle whilst making comments like that (and that was an extreme comment, there) is obviously not nice and gentle, in my opinion.

I'm gonna be totally honest with you now. This thread has turned into a whinge fest, and I know this post isn't really helping matters. We're not talking about Sam in the slightest and it's really frustrating. By bashing other characters, and not just voicing opinions, I really mean bashing, you are alienating regular and new members. It's a really sad turn of events for a thread that used to be full of insight and depth.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

In this time, Sam is best character in SG , yes because show continuing without O'Neill
        But writers? little destroy her character in this time, for me, is not good, i hope this situation better in 10. season

sigpic

Comment

Let's pick an episode from the beginning. Children of the Gods

What's your favorite Sam scene from that episode and why?

and if something was 'wrong' what would you have changed and why?
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

Favorite Sam scene - the entire briefing room scene when we first meet Sam. Naturally, I'd change the whole "reproductive organs" comment. You could still use that analogy if you wanted to, but in a different way.
            sigpic

Comment

i really doubt that there will be a s11.
              LOL I still have that ongoing bet with Strix that says if there is a season eleven, Sam will be a full time character on it. I vote yes, she votes no - and we're exchanging "art" regardless.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                [URLhttp://www.uberamandafan.com/assets/screencaps/abspower1.jpg[/URL]
                Jack: Carter set this up for you?
                Daniel: Yup. Can you believe it?
                Jack: Not really. I thought when she said she'd help you with your new home entertainment system, she meant she'd stop your VCR from blinking 12:00 all the time.
                Daniel: Well, actually it still blinks 12:00...but now it does it in 17 different languages.
                Oooberness, that's awesome! LOL

Comment

My favorite Sam scene from COTG is right before she goes through the gate for the first time. When she's standing there, talking about "actually seeing the fluctuations", you can see the wonder in her eyes, the sheer joy in the science of what they're about to do. It's scientist Sam at her best.
                  sigpic

Comment

The closer it gets, the more I've been looking forward to the (potential) interaction between the Carter and Vala characters. They're so UNalike in most surface-related ways, it would be (relatively) impossible for the writing team not to have their characters interact in a sassy, head-on-head way - which bodes well for a lot of fun scenes. I don't mean fighting, either, I mean, they have such fundamentally different POVs on the universe, they'd be bound to disagree, and in as close quarters as they're going to end up being the next while, I know those two actresses are going to play off that a lot.

I was very pleased to see that the latest few batches of Vala photos contained her wearing SG BDUs more often than not and/or other clothing that was feminine and sexy, yet not "bondage-esque". Ironic that the reason for that is what it is, but I don't care. I'm just happen it IS.

I see Vala as a potentially very cool character, I have since PU aired and I was irked when she didn't meet my expectations in the beginning of season nine, but I think we did see glimpses of more just before she left, and definitely in those new photos. So I'm stoked about that.

Sam and Vala may end up respecting one another far more quickly than we'd even anticipate, given that each of them have such powerful strengths in their own right (as different as those respective strengths may be from one another), they compliment eachother well.

I've read a lot of folks (including Amanda) say that Sam needs a new female friend at the SGC, and Lam's name was thrown out, etc., but I see Vala as being even better a choice for that. Because it'll take them a while to develop that friendship (for one thing) and because they have a lot to teach one another.

Also, Claudia is such a strong actor in her own right, her chemistry with Amanda (who we all know is equally strong) is probably going to make their scenes together very fun to watch. If they get scenes together, which I'm guessing they will - the writers did such a Vala/Daniel dynamic this last round, they're going to want to tone that down a bit and allow Vala to emerge in her own right now that she's a main character (if they're smart, which I think they can be ). That means she'll have more scenes with Sam, and with Cameron, and who knows - with Teal'c.

Here's hoping. It could bring out some of the best traits we already know of in Sam Carter to have a strong interpersonal dynamic with another character to play off of once again.

geek

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                      My favorite Sam scene from COTG is right before she goes through the gate for the first time. When she's standing there, talking about "actually seeing the fluctuations", you can see the wonder in her eyes, the sheer joy in the science of what they're about to do. It's scientist Sam at her best.
                      I think that moment where Sam is standing in front of the event horizon of the gate, with such wonder on her face - it's a moment that still sticks with me...[It shows what a consumate artist AT is, to convey such emotion, joy and wonder, while talking about "flucuations in the event horizon..] And the other momernt is when she's just finishing up with the claymores, that little bit between her, Jack and Kawolsky...

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                        ...Here's hoping. It could bring out some of the best traits we already know of in Sam Carter to have a strong interpersonal dynamic with another character to play off of once again.

geek
                        I too am looking forward to Sam and Vala scenes. This and
                        Spoiler:
                        the possible Daniel-going-Shol'va story
                        have me more intrigued for season 10 than for the rest of current season.
                        scarimor

Comment

New eps. for me tonight. I'll have stuff to talk about. I am adamantly refraining from talking about season 10 or any season 9 eps. I haven't seen. Believe me it is hard! Truth is I get too worked up and stressed over possible bad stuff otherwise

Ok, well I have 2 fave parts in COTG. One is when Sam is talking about how amazing the event horizon is and then Jack just pushes her through the wormhole. It shows not only Sam's love of science, but Jack's annoyance at her going on about it from the beginning. Also, I just think it is a cute scene.

The other part I like is when Daniel is talking about why they can't get the gate to connect anywhere else and Sam says "I knew I'd like you". She is just like, yes, another scientist who understands me!
                          Last edited by Forestia; 25 February 2006, 11:11 PM.
                          Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
                          Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

if they remember the chick and the black guy and daniel, then i do think s10 could be interesting.

i'm just kinda spoked by vala-gate that we had for the first 5.5 episodes of this season. yes, i know that sam wasn't even there but, well if you weren't a daniel fan or vala fan or pair fan, there really wasn't much left in the show for you to watch. cameron and teal'c were mostly forgotten in deference to vala and daniel

that's what's got me concerned. that in their zest and zeal and adoration of vala they forget the other characters. and since vala doesn't appeal to me, doesn't give me much incentive to turn on the set.

if i want to see a female rogue quipping off, there's no shortage of shows i can find elsewhere. there's not much original about that character and, to me, without a preference for the actress, nothing that interests me

it's a lot like what happened on Voyager, when they introduced 7 of 9 and all of a sudden, the other characters were forgotten and shoved to the background to make room for the preferred one. That's one reason i stopped watching voyager. i didn't like 7, didn't care for jeri ryan and so, since most of the show was about her, there was nothing to pique my interest.

with voyager, i didn't care, i wasn't involved in that show. but i do care about stargate. it's been a portion of my life for several years and the possibility of losing it is rather depressing

on the upside, if it follows the way of Voyager and turns into Valagate, then i'll just get to watch ghost whisperer 'live' instead of taping it. Or maybe Las Vegas. that's moving to fridays.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Now, this is more like it!!! CotG!!! Whooot!

I have to say, there are several bits I like, I love her look of wonder and awe at the fluctuations, I loved (note the past tense) the reproductive organs comment, though now I find it a little too coarse, and I love the whole briefing room scene.

My favourite two bits (sorry, I know I'm not playing fair, but I love this ep so much, I can't choose one) are

1) the bit about Matt Mason the astronaut doll

and

2) the following snippet. It's just one word from Carter, but I love it.

KAWALSKY: I think what the Colonel is saying is... have you ever pulled out of a simulated bombing run in an F-16 at 8-plus Gs?

CARTER: Yes.

KAWALSKY: Well... it's way worse than that.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I love Vala as well, and think that she and Sam will play well off each other. I do have a fear that she, along with Mitchell, will take over the show, though. I'd love to see more of Vala, she has a great perspective, I just don't think she's a character set up to be centerstage in Stargate, and sincerely hope she doesn't end up overshadowing Sam.

Since no one's mentioned this yet for COTG, I love the scene between Jack, Sam, and Charlie where Sam says they can set a claymores up along the hill and then Charlie agrees. I just love seeing her get accepted by those 2 as a soldier. And then of course the battle scene for the same reason. It always amazes me when I watch COTG and then something in s6-s8, she's grown so much.
                                sigpic
                                "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                                Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Working...
                                X