Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    Listen, we've been through this before, and I thought we'd come to an understanding of sorts that we weren't going to turn the SaGC thread into a Vala-bashing or a Vala-love fest forum. Vala is a lightning rod for opinions, and we have people who love her and people who hate her on this thread. Let's not turn the SaGC into a battle ground over another character.

I haven't helped that with my comments, I'm sure, but I intend to take my anti-rantings elsewhere from now on. May I implore others to do the same?

The Anti-Season 9 Thread:
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=5708

And The Anti-Season 10 Thread:
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=20048

Go, rant, get it out of your systems!

Good point, Strix.

Here's a tidbit from Beau Bridges in the Stargate Magazine for those interested:

"I think Amanda Tapping's character is probably one that I've met before. I've run across her. I would have, I think, just in terms of what our careers are. I recognize how important she is to the team, so I think the relationship there is pretty much trying to be supportive of her. I think, way down deep, Landry is a bit of a joker and a teaser too. He likes to mess with people, and anyone who seems to be very serious minded like her is a target! So I'm pushing for more of that humor coming from Landry towards Amanda's character. But we'll see what happens with that."

That was kind of interesting. In this season, the relationship between Sam and Landry is not really explored at all. I think they have mutual respect for one another, but Sam was very close to Hammond, and is not to Landry. I think Landry is starting to really show how much he cares about SG-1. Anyway, Landry teasing Sam could be an interesting twist. Hammond really didn't do that with Sam. But I'm trying to picture Landry being funny toward Sam or teasing her. It might work---I just don't know Landry well enough at this point. It would have to be done in the right context.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
      Listen, we've been through this before, and I thought we'd come to an understanding of sorts that we weren't going to turn the SaGC thread into a Vala-bashing or a Vala-love fest forum. Vala is a lightning rod for opinions, and we have people who love her and people who hate her on this thread. Let's not turn the SaGC into a battle ground over another character.

I haven't helped that with my comments, I'm sure, but I intend to take my anti-rantings elsewhere from now on. May I implore others to do the same?

The Anti-Season 9 Thread:
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=5708

And The Anti-Season 10 Thread:
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=20048

Go, rant, get it out of your systems!
      while i agree with your reasonings, what happens when these new characters 'effect' sam? are we supposed to just go talk somewhere else because we can't say anything negative about them here?

i find the longer a thread lasts, the more 'demands' start popping up. 'there's too much fluff!', 'there's too much negative talk!', 'there's too much off topic!', 'there's too many pictures and!'... it's the nature of threads i guess.

i think, like with the off topic issue, if we just moderate ourselves, we'll be alright. there's no black and white with this, must grey.

just my opinion of course.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
        well in light of the 2 posts I put above this I will say this regarding the season 10 premiere:

apparently
        Spoiler:
        v jumps in to save D when sprog tries to kill him and gets hurt but isn't completely healed
        . My guess on this is that somehow they write in Carter using the
        Spoiler:
        healing device to heal v
        and thus begins the bonding between Carter and v and maybe, just maybe TPTB can salvage some semblence of decent episodes with this type of storyline, especially with Daniel being absent for 4 episodes because of MS' contract.
        Ah darn
        Spoiler:
        You mean Sam is actually going to save V? Now that's a strong character
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
          well in light of the 2 posts I put above this I will say this regarding the season 10 premiere:

apparently
          Spoiler:
          v jumps in to save D when sprog tries to kill him and gets hurt but isn't completely healed
          . My guess on this is that somehow they write in Carter using the
          Spoiler:
          healing device to heal v
          and thus begins the bonding between Carter and v and maybe, just maybe TPTB can salvage some semblence of decent episodes with this type of storyline, especially with Daniel being absent for 4 episodes because of MS' contract.

This is my guess based on a few things Mallozzi said before he left one thing especially -- that Carter and v
          Spoiler:
          would be working together very soon
          so this is my guess on how they start working together and forming some sort of relationship. I really am trying to be optimistic for Carter for S10 so I will share -- because of the uproar over how bad mitchell is written, the vulnerability the ratings are showing with their new "lead", the uproar regarding AT and Carter in late 2005 regardinng that whole SG1/SGA nonsense, the almost universal negativity, that is growing, with regard to mitchell's character in general, the dissatisfaction that mithcell is leading (and that is all over the pace not just on this thread and not just at GW, even the folks at OS and SDJ are expressing extreme dislikeof mitchell and his leadership qualities - many there do not like him at all), the fact that MS will not appear in 4 episodes at all, I hope that TPTB have re-evaluated their direction and they make Carter a larger presence in different capacities (co-leader to continue as I do not see them taking that away from mitchell but one can have that pie-in-the-sky hope that she be given back her rightful positionb as sole leader) including the relationship aspect with v. We'll see but I am trying to be a little optimistic in the face of all that is v&m.
          it'd be nice to see that happening. but then they'd have to *gasp* acknowledge that sam had a goauld too.

and that is a horribly underdeveloped aspect of her character for that past few years. in fact, it only seems to come up when they need a plot device.

let's see, well we know that sam is in crusade, so we have at least two more episodes with her in it (i know spoiler pics aren't representative of the show, but it looks like she's personna non grata in the vala eps)

which means we have two more opportunities to see our girl in action and have a few sam moments to tide us over until s10
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

Here's a tidbit from Beau Bridges in the Stargate Magazine for those interested:

"I think Amanda Tapping's character is probably one that I've met before. I've run across her. I would have, I think, just in terms of what our careers are. I recognize how important she is to the team, so I think the relationship there is pretty much trying to be supportive of her. I think, way down deep, Landry is a bit of a joker and a teaser too. He likes to mess with people, and anyone who seems to be very serious minded like her is a target! So I'm pushing for more of that humor coming from Landry towards Amanda's character. But we'll see what happens with that."

That was kind of interesting. In this season, the relationship between Sam and Landry is not really explored at all. I think they have mutual respect for one another, but Sam was very close to Hammond, and is not to Landry. I think Landry is starting to really show how much he cares about SG-1. Anyway, Landry teasing Sam could be an interesting twist. Hammond really didn't do that with Sam. But I'm trying to picture Landry being funny toward Sam or teasing her. It might work---I just don't know Landry well enough at this point. It would have to be done in the right context.
            now *that* sounds interesting! i really like beau bridges, and i like what he's done with landry. he seems to be the *only* new actor to take his role serious enough to do research and such. (okay, now much research goes into being a hooker? but learning to hold a gun correctly and such... mitchell

*there's* something to look forward too!

heck, maybe while sam, daniel, and teal'c are stuck in the corner, they can go on mini adventures in their little area. sam will run tests on the angles of the corner, daniel will try to 'communicate' with the corner, and teal'c will shoot the dust that dares to exist in their corner!

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              it'd be nice to see that happening. but then they'd have to *gasp* acknowledge that sam had a goauld too.

and that is a horribly underdeveloped aspect of her character for that past few years. in fact, it only seems to come up when they need a plot device.

let's see, well we know that sam is in crusade, so we have at least two more episodes with her in it (i know spoiler pics aren't representative of the show, but it looks like she's personna non grata in the vala eps)

which means we have two more opportunities to see our girl in action and have a few sam moments to tide us over until s10
              you know, folks do have a point. and i'm certainly just as guilty of it as others.

i'm not saying that s10 topics are off limits, but let's be sensitive to the vala fans that do play here

they're likely going to have fun for the next season so let's not ruin it for them

we can take solace that at least someone is going to enjoy the upcoming season even if it's not looking like sam's going to have much to do with it

sigpic

Comment

you know, folks do have a point. and i'm certainly just as guilty of it as others.

i'm not saying that s10 topics are off limits, but let's be sensitive to the vala fans that do play here

they're likely going to have fun for the next season so let's not ruin it for them

we can take solace that at least someone is going to enjoy the upcoming season even if it's not looking like sam's going to have much to do with it
                i don't think you meant to reply to yourself, sky.

i don't know how to state this without it coming off harsh.. my number one priority here is my love of sam carter. yes, i'm an s/j shipper. yes, i'm an rda/jack fan, but i'm here *for sam/amanda* above anything else.

we've been ripping mitchell just as much as vala, and while we might go over the top sometimes... i'm not here to make sure that fans that are *also* fans of vala and mitchell aren't going to be hurt by just my opinions. as long as i'm nice and gentle in my approach, i want to exercise my right to speak my mind, even if that includes not liking vala and mitchell.

this isn't the samandmitchell thread, or the samandvala thread, it's the sam thread. i'll just pay attention to not being rude to said vala and mitchell fans, just like i'll pay attention to not going overboard in my s/j shippiness here.

i don't think i'm being unfair, but if i am, email me, sky, and we'll talk.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

well, sally, i'm thinking this way.

sunny loves vala, so i doubt she's too crazy about coming in here and reading our issues with the character. strix likes both the ladies, so dies AD (and hell i even liked vala for that 10 minutes in tptb where she stopped being the rogue and started acting like a human )

No, i don't think we need to lose sleep over every single fan agreeing with us, but i am saying that we should be sensitive to those of our group that do like the new kids

after all, do we really want to descend to the level of danny ranters?????

sigpic

Comment

Here's a scenario I would have liked to see played out by the fab 4

Sam is talking to Jack in the cafeteria, she tells him that she had a really weird dream. She thinks it might be a premonition like Jonas had last year.

Jack is very concerned and tells Sam to tell him about it, maybe it might help.

Sam tells him that in this dream she, Daniel, Teal'c and O'Neill were in this big room, standing on an elevated platform surrounded by jaffa. On the same platform seated at a table were Yu, Anise (yes Tok'ra spice) and Baal. (Wearing his usual black outfit). Then they were told if they wanted to get out of there alive they would have to sing and then face the judges
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Good point, Strix.

Oh thats an interesting (and pretty cool) quote from Bridges there chocdoc. I remember Amanda talking about how she and Beau sat down at the start of the season and had a big long talk about how they were going to play Carter and Landry's interaction with each other in light of the Carter and Hammond angle. I think they were a bit short changed in terms of the writing though, so they haven't really had a chance to put it into practice. The only moment I can think of off the top of my head is in the breifing at the start of Prototype. Hopefully the writers will give us a better chance to see the dynamic in s10

Comment

Tagging off of Bink, maybe Sam will have more to do in season 10 than we think. As Bink said, Sam and Vala are going to be working together---the potential there is great, but I don't know if TPTB will explore this gold mine with these two actors. I hope so. Also, to be fair to CB, I don't see TPTB giving tons and tons of screen time to her character, given that she will be very tired with her new baby for this first year, just like AT was. AT describes lack of sleep and being exhausted. I don't think they want to work CB too hard at this time---TPTB seem to be sensitive to family needs.

Then we do have Daniel out for four episodes--two of those in the first half. Surely they will use Teal'c, but rarely is Teal'c a front and center character (particularly for a stretch of episodes). We do have Mitchell who will be there full time, but I can't help but think Sam would be integral to the show like she was in seasons 1-8 (and I think season 9 is just a different situation for AT/Sam and her schedule). So it may be that Sam comes back to the fore in season 10. She will have a link to Vala---she already has a link to Mitchell, and both Beau Bridges and AT have mentioned how they hope to get more Sam/Landry interaction. How's that for optimism!

Comment

sunny loves vala, so i doubt she's too crazy about coming in here and reading our issues with the character. strix likes both the ladies, so dies AD (and hell i even liked vala for that 10 minutes in tptb where she stopped being the rogue and started acting like a human )

No, i don't think we need to lose sleep over every single fan agreeing with us, but i am saying that we should be sensitive to those of our group that do like the new kids

I guess my point was that it was getting to the stage where we had posts wishing that Mitchell and Vala would fail, wishing that fans would get sick and rebel, wishing that ratings would go down for Mitchell and Vala etc... That is not what a Pro Sam thread is. Like I said, I have no problems with those opinions, it's just that they probably aren't that appropriate to this thread.
                          And like you said Sky - there are other fans of particular characters who like to do exactly that. I'd hate to see this thread follow their example...

Comment

well, i don't know what to say, then. i don't like vala and mitchell because of how they effect sam and amanda. all i can do is be gentle in talking about it, but i'm still going to say what i want. sorry strix, ad, and sun, but unless vala and mitchell stop *blanking* over my fave character, i'll keep feeling this way.

i'll go find another thread to play on for a bit to reflect, but i'm a sam/amanda supporter first and foremost.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

How's that for optimism!
                              good optimism!

sigpic

Comment

Hey , I like Daniel
                                I mostly lurk here so probably shouldn't butt in, but I think that self censorship can go so far that there won't be any discussion anymore. This is a Sam thread and anything relating to her should be discussed here, including how she relates with the other characters and they relate to her . There is no reason why inteligent discussions between people from diferent points of view regarding the other characters (as we assume everyone posting here is a fan of Sam so have that in common) should offend anyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X