No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for my taste? if future eps continue like the scourge was then i'll be ok with it.

mitch was tolerable and relatively competant. the joking was kept to a minmum and there were no stupid 'what does this button do' mistakes

adn sam was quietly competant and in charge. she was doing her job and being a bridge between the boys and their guests
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
      This is just a fantastic post Golfbooy and I feel exactly the same

I am so offended by the situation that i really don't want to watch the show any more. It is a matter of principal. Whoever has made these knee jerk decisions has failed on so many counts to honour the fantastic sucess of the show over the last 8 years and the hard work of everyone involved in it.

The current offering seems to have less to do with conveying the importace of loyaly, truth, honour and respect as vital human qualities and more to do with spin and sex. Now you can hook some of the young and inexperienced with a plate full of dressed up piffle, but not the older and wiser.

The way the 3 long term actors have been treated has been appalling. And no one dare say to me "well that's how it is in show business". It is only like that as long as disgraceful individuals are prepared to act in this manner.

In particular I'm totally disgusted at the way Amanda has been treated especially not being told what was happening regarding the renewal of her contract. It was just a totally disgraceful way to behave.

Amanda has invested so much in the show, she must take a lot of the credit for making Carter such a wonderful and interesting character. And I think a lot of the show's sucess is down to the sucess of this character. If the writers feel like they are done with Carter - well I'm the viewer - not them - I demand new writers clear and simple. The writers are getting just a little bit too big for their boots and low on creative thinking if you ask me.

And lastly I have to mention it again. Having Vala in the limelight whilst a fantastic female role model like Sam Carter is brushed aside it a total insult to me as a hard working prefesional female. The Vala's of this world just make it harder for women to be taken serioulsy and treated as equals. It has nothing to do with CB, nothing at all. I just cringe at the thought of young women thinking Vala is cool. Sam is cool, Vala is a male fantasy. I see lines of young women queing to give back the vote, well and truly suckered!

AND IF ANY OF TPTB ARE WATCHING I HAVEN'T BEEN BOTHERED TO WATCH 3 EPS I HAVE WAITING - EVEN THOUGH AMANDA IS IN THEM!!
      Golfbooy and Coley have just summed it up almost completely for me - these are two great posts. Well thought out and very well said.

Comment

snip, snip

Ben Browder leading SG1 into season 10
        what a crock o' crap -- sorry to be so negative but I agree with Coley on this dopey headline:

on the cover of a magazine just totally offended me. All the other cast members have worked their socks off for 8 season, but BB somehow gets the "lead" role treatment. It would be laughable if it wasn't so disrespectful to the other actors - all of whom would be equally as capable as BB as leading the show.

Even if TPTB wanted to attract BB fans - I'm sure they would have come on board if Ben was made the new member under the command of Sam Carter.

I'm afraid the only way I'm reading it is TPTB didn't want a female leading SG1 and potentially being tagged as being the lead actor. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but the niggle is there.

There is a motto "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

snip, snip
        Looking at S8 ratings in comparison to 9 - that is first run airings because in S8 they did not post second showing ratings because first run did fine on its own, now all of a sudden in S9 it has become, well if you take first run PLUS second run ratings the show is doing okay - broken, I think so and not in S8 but in S9 with golden boy - to me it is clear there is a problem and not just because the ratings are showing their vulnerability so quickly with their new "star" but just look around at many of the forums in general - many unhappy campers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
          As I said, Kat, it was a personal thing, and I eventually said, well, she deserves it after saving the planet. Plus Sam Carter was always meant to be a high flyer on the fast track, you know?
          exactly. and that's why it was total BS that sam would *not* care that she rejoined sg1 as second in command again! all the writers had to do was have a scene between sam and mitchell where mitchell offered her the position back, so that she could turn him down for whatever her reasons were (i'd love her wanting to be with jack ).

sam loves science, yep. but sam also loves being in the military. she's ambitious!

please excuse the b*tchiness, but i just read the newest VALA RETURNS TO SG1 headline crap on gateworld's home page. skydiver saw it coming... the new season is already being hyped as the VALA/MITCHELL show. (they don't have a smiley that has eyes rolling so far that they pop out)

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
            what a crock o' crap -- sorry to be so negative but I agree with Coley on this dopey headline:

Looking at S8 ratings in comparison to 9 - that is first run airings because in S8 they did not post second showing ratings because first run did fine on its own, now all of a sudden in S9 it has become, well if you take first run PLUS second run ratings the show is doing okay - broken, I think so and not in S8 but in S9 with golden boy - to me it is clear there is a problem and not just because the ratings are showing their vulnerability so quickly with their new "star" but just look around at many of the forums in general - many unhappy campers.
            yep. gotta love the spin.

they will twist and tweak the facts to say what they want them to say....which is that cam and vala are the bestest things since sliced bread

you think it was bad this season, wait until Valagate starts.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
              Harping in on the full bird issue. That's something I've been throwing about in various discussions for a while now.

I think the value in promoting Carter to full bird is there on a few levels.

Firstly it would resolve the Cam/Sam same rank issue... which honestly... is a ridiculous cop out. But ignoring the politics behind the scenes that created it, it's something that is making the entire fan base squirm from the looks of it. Imagine the general confusion amongst the silent majority who don't follow the show as closely as we do. Can't be a good thing.

Secondly I think that having Sam be a full bird would lead into then having her be the 2IC of the base. Which Jack was when he was a Colonel. That would open the door for tying in the impending Atlantis visits.

Thirdly, knowing what we know of Sam, I think she'd allow Mitchell to run about being hero boy and basically just doing what he does now, but she'd have the ability to pull rank when necessary.

Personally I'd love to see them do it. It'd be a great circle for Carter looking at the entire show. From Captain to Colonel.

I don't have time to expound on it more than that right now, but in story, character and respect to the arc and the fans terms, I think it's a great solution to a really dodgy mess of creative bumbling and mishandling.

I love your reasons for Sam to become a full Colonel!
              In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
              so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
              Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
              Hic Comitas Regit
              Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
              Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Here's a snippet from the new Stargate Magazine--what David Hewlett says about Amanda:

"I love the Amanda stuff in Grace Under Pressure. It's great. I was really hoping something like that would happen this year. I had heard rumors that there would be a crossover, and in a dream world you'd say, 'Well, I'd get to do some more irritating of Sam Carter,' and that's happened."

"A quick aside about Amanda -- that woman has been working on this show for nine years, yet she comes in and she knows all of her lines perfectly, she's so happy, and everything is so fresh. Her approach is amazing, I don't know how she does it. I hope in nine years' time, if I am in the fortunate position of still doing this, I can be that enthusiastic about something for that long, because it's amazing. She just gets such glee out of doing this stuff. It's a great role and she's doing it beautifully. It's so nice [to see] -- it was like 'hey! You really can do this forever!"

Adding this: Grace Under Pressure was one of Brad Wright's favorite episodes this year. He said he was a bit jealous that he didn't write this one!

Comment

whew, it seems to have calmed down a bit on the who should lead thread. going OT and a little crazy (my fault i think. there was talk of monkeys what can i say, i like monkeys )

it was fun though. i'll never be the same. and i think i've made a new friend! LS isn't as bad as he's made out to be as far as i can tell.

but as far as i'm concerned i win! sam should lead. or trevor. (don't ask)

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                    Here's a snippet from the new Stargate Magazine--what David Hewlett says about Amanda:

"I love the Amanda stuff in Grace Under Pressure. It's great. I was really hoping something like that would happen this year. I had heard rumors that there would be a crossover, and in a dream world you'd say, 'Well, I'd get to do some more irritating of Sam Carter,' and that's happened."

"A quick aside about Amanda -- that woman has been working on this show for nine years, yet she comes in and she knows all of her lines perfectly, she's so happy, and everything is so fresh. Her approach is amazing, I don't know how she does it. I hope in nine years' time, if I am in the fortunate position of still doing this, I can be that enthusiastic about something for that long, because it's amazing. She just gets such glee out of doing this stuff. It's a great role and she's doing it beautifully. It's so nice [to see] -- it was like 'hey! You really can do this forever!"

Adding this: Grace Under Pressure was one of Brad Wright's favorite episodes this year. He said he was a bit jealous that he didn't write this one!
                    Yes those are some of the many reasons why I love Amanda. Stargate SG-1 needs her. They would still in be filming Season 5 if it wasn’t for her.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                      i think that's why i like stuff that brad does. his tastes are close to mine.

gup was a bit of a bottle show, sure. but we learned so much about rod in it. we got a glimpse into his issues and worries and we learned something about him.

the episode was about the character, but didn't get all caught up IN the character. we also got to see how the other folks at atlantis feel about him and, even though rod can be a pita, they were willing to fight to get him back

it was the first one that i rewound and watched again as soon as i could

rod and sam play so well together and i can't wait for the sam crossovers simply becausei want to see the interactions between her and the atlantis crew. interactions that we were cheated out of earlier

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cassie
                        Yes those are some of the many reasons why I love Amanda. Stargate SG-1 needs her. They would still in be filming Season 5 if it wasn’t for her.
                        LOL

yep.

actually, if it wasn't for her stepping in to help fill rda's shoes when he lessened his time, we may not have a s9 to talk about. as rda cut back his time, she worked harder to help fill in and support all the others

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          <<snippage>>

please excuse the b*tchiness, but i just read the newest VALA RETURNS TO SG1 headline crap on gateworld's home page. skydiver saw it coming... the new season is already being hyped as the VALA/MITCHELL show. (they don't have a smiley that has eyes rolling so far that they pop out)

sally
                          Skydiver's been in a habit of being right about these things lately.

Been thinking about dinging her on GP just to make the bad news stop its inevitable course.

Is there a bittersweet smiley?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Another note: CB states that she had been asked to guest star over the years, but she didn't have the time. Then she did and filmed Prometheus Unbound. Then she says, "I knew that they had expressed all along that they would love to have me full time if it was possible somehow."

It seems like indeed the producers have known for a long time that they wanted CB full time. It makes me wonder if and when the other actors knew that the producers were planning this. It's not a bad thing, it's just the press sounds like Vala was so successful that she is now a regular, when they actually have planned this for a very long time (before even season nine even aired). I think the producers do alot of long-term planning that fans know nothing about. So perhaps the producers have known for a long time that they have wanted Carter to crossover for several episodes, but perhaps never told Amanda about it until contract time (and not even then because the producers would not tell her exactly how many SGA episodes she would do). I shouldn't be surprised. Producers run the show, not the actors. The actors have to go with what the producers/writers give them.

IMO, if they think that the ratings can survive with Mitchell and Vala in the forefront and the Big 3 in the background (and particularly AT) of this new show, I think they are mistaken.

Also, CJ says that the show's ratings are as good or even better than they were last year. I think he spoke too soon. Season 8 had an average of 2.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              LOL

yep.

actually, if it wasn't for her stepping in to help fill rda's shoes when he lessened his time, we may not have a s9 to talk about. as rda cut back his time, she worked harder to help fill in and support all the others

I completely agree. And you know, the ratings were very good in the second half of season 7, and really good throughout season 8. (I think the only thing that TPTB and Scifi will listen to is the ratings--not the fans).

In my very biased view, they need more Sam again in season 10 (a well written Sam of course) to boost the ratings!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                i think that's why i like stuff that brad does. his tastes are close to mine.

gup was a bit of a bottle show, sure. but we learned so much about rod in it. we got a glimpse into his issues and worries and we learned something about him.

the episode was about the character, but didn't get all caught up IN the character. we also got to see how the other folks at atlantis feel about him and, even though rod can be a pita, they were willing to fight to get him back

it was the first one that i rewound and watched again as soon as i could

rod and sam play so well together and i can't wait for the sam crossovers simply becausei want to see the interactions between her and the atlantis crew. interactions that we were cheated out of earlier

Me too. I would rather that she be over in Atlantis in a few episodes in most likely more compelling stories interacting with Weir, Sheppard, Caldwell and Mckay rather than being sidelined by characters in SG-1. And hopefully, when she is in SG-1 she is there with substantial things to do. You would think so, given that Daniel will be out of four episodes.

Comment

Working...
                                X