Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    Sam/Cam leadership issue, promotions, crossovers, etc...

First, they made Cam leader because they were afraid to pitch a show that didn't have a LEADING MAN. BB is their LEADING MAN. Now, their desire to have a LEADING MAN is not going to change in season 10 or any season thereafter (if it survives past 10). Therefore, Cam will be their LEADING MAN next season, too, and they aren't about to lose face by demoting their LEADING MAN to a MAN WHO IS FOLLOWING A WOMAN. Bottom line: they need their LEADING MAN to LEAD. You can argue context all you like, but BB was hired to be the LEADING MAN in the business as well as in the show, and wishful thinking and all the logic in the world is not going to change that simple fact.

It's a harsh reality, but we also have to consider that TPTB have egos, and they have pitched and pimped Mitchell to high heaven, so no matter how much sense it does or does not make, they are not easily going to do a collective and abrupt about-face and admit they screwed up an entire season of their show by placing Cam in command. They may continue to give lip service to the co-leadership (wink-wink-nod-nod) arrangement in order to appease Sam fans. But I think the chances of them demoting Mitchell from his leadership role are about as likely as the earth being demolished by a giant flying interstellar cupcake. They will kill/maim/Tokra-fy/Ori-fy/have Mitchell kidnapped by a rabid chipmunks before they stick him directly and obviously under Sam's command, if only to save their pride.

Following this line of reasoning, if Sam gets promoted, they'll promote Mitchell, too, but I think it is much more likely they will promote Mitchell first to clarify the command issue... if they decide to clarify the command issue at all. Frankly, I hope they start writing him as a believable leader, because it kills me when they don't. It screws up the entire show.

I'd rather see Sam win a Nobel prize than get promoted at this point.

I would like to see Sam crossed-over to Atlantis. Lots of legitimate arguments against it which I won't rehash now, but I think SG-1 is dead (even if it isn't) after next season, and I'd like her character to continue on TV in a (more or less) healthy show. So, it's a purely selfish desire on my part.

Perhaps TPTB will come through and prove me wrong on my less-than- cheerful predictions. It would be so simple to promote Sam before Cam and put her clearly in command. But I'm not holding my breath. Before they could do that, too many real-life people would have to admit they made a mistake by putting him in command in the first place, and I just don't see that happening.
    This is a great post and a great reality check. Soory can't green you!

I hope some of your laid back balanced view will rub off on me when we meet.

However seeing as I will have left testosterone city in ego hell by mid April - maybe I will return to a state of balance all by myself!!

Comment

"Just Looking."

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        Naw, it was a great post, golfbooy, and I think you are telling it like it is, unfortunately. Carter is too experienced and too good for the show. She outshines Mitchell at every turn. But TPTB want to keep Mitchell as leader and in the limelight. So, what to do with Carter---the female lead/scientist/soldier of the show for nine seasons.
        Why you give her own show and oops looks like MS an CJ would follow her.
        Baal's Angelsanyone?
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
          Though didn't she say in the latest interview that she would be doing at least up to the 200th ep and then after that who knows. Is that when they will be expecting CB to return from maternity leave.?
          Here is what AT said:
          Originally posted by NearlyCircular
          I don’t know what the line up is going to be next year – who will be here and who won’t be here. But we’re looking at going to 200 episodes, and I want to be here for that! It’s worked this year with Olivia, and it’ll be easier next year because I won’t be breastfeeding.
          I wouldn't worry too much about it. First of all, it seems as if they did these interviews when the last S9 episodes where filmed, so that's quite some time ago. More importantly, at that time AT had not been offered a contract yet, so she did not know what was going to happen.
          And even if these interviews are more recent than I think they are, I read her comment simply as meaning that they will be filming the 200th episode, which is a big deal and she wants to be part of it. I did not read it as meaning she'll only be there until the 200th episode, but that's just my understanding of what she said.

I suspect the worst as all my suspicions over the last year have ALLL come true!!
          Coley, I see where you're coming from and I am with you, but I haven't given up hope just yet. I try to find the positive in everything, and as it stands right now for SG-1, the 'positive' for me is that I get to watch AT perform. And even though I too am disappointed with S9, there have been some great performances by AT. I admit, she's not been given that many opportunities to shine this year, but when she did, she was terrific. That alone is worth watching in my book.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
            Here is what AT said:
            I wouldn't worry too much about it. First of all, it seems as if they did these interviews when the last S9 episodes where filmed, so that's quite some time ago. More importantly, at that time AT had not been offered a contract yet, so she did not know what was going to happen.
            And even if these interviews are more recent than I think they are, I read her comment simply as meaning that they will be filming the 200th episode, which is a big deal and she wants to be part of it. I did not read it as meaning she'll only be there until the 200th episode, but that's just my understanding of what she said.

Coley, I see where you're coming from and I am with you, but I haven't given up hope just yet. I try to find the positive in everything, and as it stands right now for SG-1, the 'positive' for me is that I get to watch AT perform. And even though I too am disappointed with S9, there have been some great performances by AT. I admit, she's not been given that many opportunities to shine this year, but when she did, she was terrific. That alone is worth watching in my book.
            Thanks so much for that Dani

I think you have a little bit of Amanda in you!!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
              Before this season I wouldn't have thought it was possible either. But then Jack went from Colonel to a Major General in less than a season and a half...so now I'm of the "anything's possible" school of thought or rather the "they'll do whatever they dang well please regardless of how little it makes sense" school of thought, but that's more cynical (albeit more accurately portrays my sentiment).
              So my guess is they fired the military advisor, or maybe she had a heart attack
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Though didn't she say in the latest interview that she would be doing at least up to the 200th ep and then after that who knows. Is that when they will be expecting CB to return from maternity leave.?

I suspect the worst as all my suspicions over the last year have ALLL come true!!
                according to tv guide, claudia had a son in december. so i would imagine that she's off maternity leave and ready to start taping even as we speak
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                  <<snippety doo da>>
                  It's a harsh reality, but we also have to consider that TPTB have egos, and they have pitched and pimped Mitchell to high heaven, so no matter how much sense it does or does not make, they are not easily going to do a collective and abrupt about-face and admit they screwed up an entire season of their show by placing Cam in command. They may continue to give lip service to the co-leadership (wink-wink-nod-nod) arrangement in order to appease Sam fans. But I think the chances of them demoting Mitchell from his leadership role are about as likely as the earth being demolished by a giant flying interstellar cupcake. They will kill/maim/Tokra-fy/Ori-fy/have Mitchell kidnapped by a rabid chipmunks before they stick him directly and obviously under Sam's command, if only to save their pride.
                  <<snippety ay>>

What?

Like I was really going to let that comment...erm...FLY without doing something? Please.

And Strix you really should know better than to give out spoilers for Season 10 plots like this.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Good carter with the fashion sense of evil carter

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
                      Good carter with the fashion sense of evil carter
                      Yeah Replicarter in her skin tight threads. Thats the best for me.

Comment

Personally, I would have loved to have locked myself in that room full of Carters from "Ripple Effect". Now that would have been priceless.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                          I actually have one of her in front of a Canadian flag. She's naked: it's a pretty good quality fake but obviously can't be posted here.
                          If you can upload it on an FTP server, and IM/email me the link, I wouldn't mind it at all
                          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Geeky, i'm a sucker for chicks with glasses. Maybe evil.

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover12
                              Geeky, i'm a sucker for chicks with glasses. Maybe evil.
                              Ughhh...people like Paris Hilton and the wonderful blondes from Law and Order (doesn't matter which show) can pull of the glasses look awesome, but it doesn't apply to all glasses wearing females.
                              http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                                Here is what AT said:
                                It would have been nice if AT was offered another show while TPTB were taking their time offering her a contract
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X