Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deejay435
    Sigh. I saw those commercials. I have such an unbridaled hatred for this show, simply because of how it came on the air. The only soap I ever watched was Another World, and Passions replaced it. Which, okay, things go off the air, and I can deal. Heck, I count myself lucky if a show I like lasts more than a few seasons, I'm usually the kiss of death.

But the reason for replacing AW? The actual stated reason? Because that show's target demographic was women 35-45, and we were too old! They didn't want us!

Rejected by a tv show because of my age. Boy that ticked me off!
    Hey Deejay I loved AW too, was very sad when it was cancelled
    Ah don't the women aged 35-45 have more money than the young ones they are targeting
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally Posted by ParadoxRealities
      lol. sci-fi is so weird. people always ask me if I like sci-fi and I say not I like Stargate. It amazes me how big the difference between Stargate/Trek and stuff like Boa verses Python. No offence to anyone that likes that stuff , but i like my gate just fine.
      Hmm? Didn't someone with the initials MS(I won't say who it is) do a recent movie called Swarmed (couldn't bring myself to watch, the commercial was bad enough) Any way did anyone in here actually like the movie????
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

Having said all that the very fact they have a newcomer stepping in taking the lead really just beggars belief. They have got his back story all wrong to my mind and their attempt to introduce him to the team as leader has totally failed in my eyes - primarily because int he first 5 eps the whole storyline focused on Daniel and Vala - a totally unnecessary distraction which has added nothing monumental at all to the season storyline - from the eps I have seen. Since when the writers have failed to give him anything to work with.

i have to wonder now if this wasn't done on purpose.

i never questioned the ptb saying that they 'couldn't' do the usual opening credits (showing the stars of the show) because of (insert their reason), but as soon as i finally saw the credits... i knew why they waited. and i think it's tied in to 'waiting' to really show mitchell as leader too. here they (ptb) are bringing in a completely new character and giving him leading man statis... he takes the team. he takes the lead of the show. he takes a 'literal' name above the titles...

i think it's all tied in together. they wanted to 'slowly' introduce his statis. for this fan, it didn't work.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
          Hmm? Didn't someone with the initials MS(I won't say who it is) do a recent movie called Swarmed (couldn't bring myself to watch, the commercial was bad enough) Any way did anyone in here actually like the movie????
          They aired it here on TMN (The Movie Network), and I caught part of it completely by accident while channel surfing. Wow. It was... well, you know, I only saw about ten minutes or so of it, so really... I mean, it was... d'oh, sorry, is that the phone ringing? Better go answer it.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            With some creative and fancy writing you could pull it off pretty easy imo.... oh wait... yeah...

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              With some creative and fancy writing you could pull it off pretty easy imo.... oh wait... yeah...
              There's a joke in there somewhere...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                They aired it here on TMN (The Movie Network), and I caught part of it completely by accident while channel surfing. Wow. It was... well, you know, I only saw about ten minutes or so of it, so really... I mean, it was... d'oh, sorry, is that the phone ringing? Better go answer it.
                Hmmm? Mini you aren't by any chance avoiding the question
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  spoilers for s9's 'the scourge'

used properly? not by a long shot.

i think sam's (and daniel's and teal'c's) jobs are being shuffled around to fit for the new LEAD of the show.

sam should have been leading the team. sam should have been the one (along with teal'c) going after the plane thingies (can't remember their names ) to fly the diplomats out. daniel could have stayed with the diplomats and calmed them down. and what to do with mitchell? he's not needed on *this* team, so he wouldn't be there. sam, daniel, and teal'c (*the* BIG3) are just fine without him.

i'm sorry i sound like a broken record, but my resentment towards the ptb for *doing this to begin with* is increasing. and then add into the mix that the writers can't write new characters anymore... (name one NEW character that hasn't flopped in some way)

sally
                  Yea, but if Daniel stayed with the diplomats, then you couldn't see the sparks flying btw Sam and the French guy I mean isn't it another shipper case

/turns on force shield to avoid rotten tomatoes
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435

It would be very difficult for Carter to not be the de-facto leader of the team, even if Mitchell was clearly stated as leader. The others are going to look to her, because she's been the one to get their butts out of the fire more times than not. Even if Mitchell hadn't been shown to be a bumbler, they'd still do this. This is SG1, frontline team. It's not the place for someone to "learn" how to lead an SG team. Carter being second to someone who is trying to learn puts Carter in a difficult position. She has to be both leader, and the leader's "right hand", and that's just not acceptable when their lives are on the line every day.

you hit the mark!

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      I know not everyone here shares my irkdom regarding the whole leadership issue. Here's a question to consider though.

What if Sam was promoted to full bird and the rest stayed the same? Would that change or affect your feelings on this issue?

I don't know. I find the current scenario highly insulting to the Sam character and to Amanda. But if they promoted her to full bird, for me at least it would definitely be a move in the right direction...what do you think?

The more I think about it...the more I love the idea btw.
                      it would make a difference, yes. now do i think they'll do it? no. she's already been promoted not long ago.

i also wouldn't mind her being the official second in command of the base, though. yes, it's back to being 2IC of something, but it's a *bigger* something.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Sam/Cam leadership issue, promotions, crossovers, etc...

First, they made Cam leader because they were afraid to pitch a show that didn't have a LEADING MAN. BB is their LEADING MAN. Now, their desire to have a LEADING MAN is not going to change in season 10 or any season thereafter (if it survives past 10). Therefore, Cam will be their LEADING MAN next season, too, and they aren't about to lose face by demoting their LEADING MAN to a MAN WHO IS FOLLOWING A WOMAN. Bottom line: they need their LEADING MAN to LEAD. You can argue context all you like, but BB was hired to be the LEADING MAN in the business as well as in the show, and wishful thinking and all the logic in the world is not going to change that simple fact.

It's a harsh reality, but we also have to consider that TPTB have egos, and they have pitched and pimped Mitchell to high heaven, so no matter how much sense it does or does not make, they are not easily going to do a collective and abrupt about-face and admit they screwed up an entire season of their show by placing Cam in command. They may continue to give lip service to the co-leadership (wink-wink-nod-nod) arrangement in order to appease Sam fans. But I think the chances of them demoting Mitchell from his leadership role are about as likely as the earth being demolished by a giant flying interstellar cupcake. They will kill/maim/Tokra-fy/Ori-fy/have Mitchell kidnapped by a rabid chipmunks before they stick him directly and obviously under Sam's command, if only to save their pride.

Following this line of reasoning, if Sam gets promoted, they'll promote Mitchell, too, but I think it is much more likely they will promote Mitchell first to clarify the command issue... if they decide to clarify the command issue at all. Frankly, I hope they start writing him as a believable leader, because it kills me when they don't. It screws up the entire show.

I'd rather see Sam win a Nobel prize than get promoted at this point.

I would like to see Sam crossed-over to Atlantis. Lots of legitimate arguments against it which I won't rehash now, but I think SG-1 is dead (even if it isn't) after next season, and I'd like her character to continue on TV in a (more or less) healthy show. So, it's a purely selfish desire on my part.

Perhaps TPTB will come through and prove me wrong on my less-than- cheerful predictions. It would be so simple to promote Sam before Cam and put her clearly in command. But I'm not holding my breath. Before they could do that, too many real-life people would have to admit they made a mistake by putting him in command in the first place, and I just don't see that happening.
                        Last edited by Strix varia; 21 February 2006, 09:13 PM.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                          i wonder are TPTB confusing the murmers of dissatisfaction with certain aspects of the show with dislike of the new formula of the 3 person team with carter in charge. maybe they thought that by restoring the formula of smartass in command of a four person team, that it will solve their problems.

its just a thought that popped into my fron, but i wonder.... hhmmmm.
                          unfortunately the show evolved beyond that, and even when they had the smartass man in command he knew what he was doing.

i'm not sure that they realise that some of the issues people had had nothing to do with carter leading. that was one of the things most people were happy with as far as i know. (obviously excluding the occassional jackass, who had no valid reasons for not wanting carter in command IMO)
                          that's how i see them sometimes viewing the s/j issue. there were probs and some fans grumbled about it. so, it's obviously the 'issue' of s/j; it couldn't be the less than stellar writing that made fans b*tch and moan about it.

it *always* comes down to the writing, not just the subject.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Hope y'all don't mind a brief change of the subject from the leadership talk but I just finished reading the Feb "Cult Times" interview with Martin Wood and have a couple of things to share from the article.

First let me say I really really really like Martin Wood. The commentaries with Martin and AT are some of the best ones ever done for Stargate.

"This year, my work on Stargate has been mainly acting pieces with the occasional fight. Camelot, however has
                            Spoiler:
                            lots more action. You have swordfights and these big spaceships on fire and being destroyed. It's just a bigger episode. Also there are tons of visual effects in it, so another interesting challenge for me was doing the storyboards. For example, there's a scene where Carter (Amanda Tapping) puts on a spacesuit and goes out to the Space gate. Imagine standing literally beside the gate when it activates and Ori ships come flying through it. We had to figure out the scale of all that and how we were going to show it to viewers."
                            This is something I'm looking forward to seeing in a couple weeks.

He also goes on to talk about directing Grace Under Pressure "It ranks right up there as one of my four all-time favourite Stargate stories to have worked on."
                            My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

LadyJeep: I have to say that I do share your feelings about leadership. I'm liking Mitchell less and less cause he hasn't really earned the role as leader. How do you pick the person with the least amount of experience to run a group that know each other so well, at times they don't even need to speak to know what comes next.
                              I was pondering about this quite a bit last night while I rewatched the season7 episode Homecoming.
                              The first time I saw season6, when they brought in the character of Jonas, it took me a while to adjust. At first I was so upset about losing Daniel that I knew I didn’t want another character to take his place. As season6 progressed, I grew to really appreciate Jonas as a character, and to enjoy him as a part of the team. I liked how they incorporated him, and I feel that he earned his position on SG1 by slowly gaining everyone’s trust and respect. By the start of season7 I was almost reluctant to give him up for a returned Daniel. (Though of course, I was pleased to have Daniel back too). If anything, I would have liked it if both Daniel and Jonas could have stayed on the team. Watching this episode again I was thoroughly enjoying the interaction between Daniel and Jonas. I think they were really good with each other, and worked off each other as actors very well.
                              Now, compare this to the method used to add the new character of Colonel Mitchell.

As far as I can tell, there has been no slow incorporation or gaining of trust. Instead of earning a place in SG1, the new character has been handed full reins of the team. Suddenly, not only are the audience confronted with a new character, but hey, he’s leading the team that we’ve had for the last eight seasons.

And what’s more is, the team already had a competent, experienced, perfectly capable Lt Colonel leading.

So I would say that the current method used to incorporate a new character is proving far less successful than that used in the past.
                              Last edited by deepspace; 21 February 2006, 09:50 PM.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                                Hey everyone, I'm finally back on line Had to take the computer in and get rid of that annoying spyware and virus , so now I have some catching up to do
                                Aww, Mandy. *hugs*
                                viruses and spyware
                                Have you got good antivirus software and spyware protection? There are a number of free spyware protection software available for download off the net. Have you tried 'ad-aware', 'spybot search and destroy', or 'spyware doctor'?

/end off topic
                                (I'm posting off topic here because until she catches up Mandy won't actually know that there is an OT thread)

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X