Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myrth
    Harping in on the full bird issue. That's something I've been throwing about in various discussions for a while now.

I think the value in promoting Carter to full bird is there on a few levels.

Firstly it would resolve the Cam/Sam same rank issue... which honestly... is a ridiculous cop out. But ignoring the politics behind the scenes that created it, it's something that is making the entire fan base squirm from the looks of it. Imagine the general confusion amongst the silent majority who don't follow the show as closely as we do. Can't be a good thing.

Secondly I think that having Sam be a full bird would lead into then having her be the 2IC of the base. Which Jack was when he was a Colonel. That would open the door for tying in the impending Atlantis visits.

Thirdly, knowing what we know of Sam, I think she'd allow Mitchell to run about being hero boy and basically just doing what he does now, but she'd have the ability to pull rank when necessary.

Personally I'd love to see them do it. It'd be a great circle for Carter looking at the entire show. From Captain to Colonel.

I don't have time to expound on it more than that right now, but in story, character and respect to the arc and the fans terms, I think it's a great solution to a really dodgy mess of creative bumbling and mishandling.

Chocdoc...this is why I'd feel better about it.

Thanks Myrth for communicating my feelings better than I ever could.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
      I know a lot of people here aren't opposed to the idea of Carter going to Atlantis. But I am. I think it's a cheap, insulting way to get around the command issues. I think it's a crappy way to treat AT.
      Couldn't agree more even if I cloned myself. Thank you.

Comment

mmmhm, caaakkkkeeeee

dishes out ice cream

happy birthday Chevron Seven
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          ordinarily, i'd say it couldn't happen since officers must serve time in grade before they're even eligible for promotion

but given that the show is handing out CMOH's like they're candy and allowing neoptism with father and daughter in a direct line of command (she may not be military but the cmo still answers to teh base commander) and the co-leaders.....well i'd say anything is possible

ain't holding my breath cause i don't think scifi will allow a woman to be in charge and take away from the hero, but it would be nice and given how they're tending to ignore those pesky regs, its' at least possible
          Before this season I wouldn't have thought it was possible either. But then Jack went from Colonel to a Major General in less than a season and a half...so now I'm of the "anything's possible" school of thought or rather the "they'll do whatever they dang well please regardless of how little it makes sense" school of thought, but that's more cynical (albeit more accurately portrays my sentiment).

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

i'm torn on atlantis

+ hey, it'll make it more enjoyable for me to see her there. in many ways, atlantis is a better show and haveing sam there will only boost it for me

- it will take some time away from an already established and large cast

+ if SG ends with s10, being established on atlantis will give AT a fairly reliable part time gig if they choose to explore that angle

- but what if she wants to do something else? if they're gonna take her for granted like they have been, it might be good for her to explore elsewhere

+ i can't help but think that TPTB are trying to help her out by giving her something more than sg1, especially if the cam/vala focus develops like i think it will

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
              HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
              CHEVRON SEVEN!!!!!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...ess/sam--4.jpg

Sam: I was sure Samanda would leave me a piece of Chevron Seven's birthday cake.....
              Yay! Thank you. I didn't get any cake today. I got a birthday sundae and some chocolate covered strawberries.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                Couldn't agree more even if I cloned myself. Thank you.
                Cloning...shared brains...you're a busy guy, golfbooy...

Comment

Happy Birthday ChevronSeven!

I apologize for being so lax on the Birthday greenage...so anyone who's had a birthday in the last, oh say 12 months, let me know so I can wish you a happy birthday accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                    Harping in on the full bird issue. That's something I've been throwing about in various discussions for a while now.

I think the value in promoting Carter to full bird is there on a few levels.

Firstly it would resolve the Cam/Sam same rank issue... which honestly... is a ridiculous cop out. But ignoring the politics behind the scenes that created it, it's something that is making the entire fan base squirm from the looks of it. Imagine the general confusion amongst the silent majority who don't follow the show as closely as we do. Can't be a good thing.

Secondly I think that having Sam be a full bird would lead into then having her be the 2IC of the base. Which Jack was when he was a Colonel. That would open the door for tying in the impending Atlantis visits.

Thirdly, knowing what we know of Sam, I think she'd allow Mitchell to run about being hero boy and basically just doing what he does now, but she'd have the ability to pull rank when necessary.

Personally I'd love to see them do it. It'd be a great circle for Carter looking at the entire show. From Captain to Colonel.

I don't have time to expound on it more than that right now, but in story, character and respect to the arc and the fans terms, I think it's a great solution to a really dodgy mess of creative bumbling and mishandling.

I see. Maybe it would help the situation. Right now, I'll admit, I'm just so disappointed in the whole thing really. I might be getting to the point of not being able to watch the show (though I probably will continue).

I'll be honest. I don't think I can watch SG-1 with Mitchell and Vala if they are prominent on the show next season. It might be too painful. It honestly is difficult to watch old SG-1 episodes, only because it was so much better than it is now for me.

Maybe that is why I wish Sam would just go to Atlantis. For some reason, that seems better to me than having to remain in SG-1 as a sidelined character after ALL these years of being a main character. Now maybe they won't sideline her, I don't know. Maybe TPTB heard the uproar several months ago. I also don't think the ratings will get better if they highlight Mitchell and Vala, but TPTB probably think the opposite. Actually, maybe I wish AT was in a completely different series now, and I'll view season 8 as the end of the SG-1 saga.

But, trying to stay optimistic, maybe promoting Carter in season 10 would help the situation as you say.

I hope AT is glad to be back on the set and is having a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                      If Sam got promoted and Mitchell didn't, then wouldn't Sam automatically lead SG-1 unless, like I said, they have her do something else besides being on the team? I don't know if I could stand her not being on the team. If she is taken off the team, then I would rather she be on Atlantis full time.
                      I've been concerned ever since they said they were going to split her time between the two shows that she'd be leaving the team, and become some sort of intergalactic troubleshooter.....gating back and forth between the Pegasus and Milky Way galaxies.

Comment

yeah, but now, last i heard anyway, her time on atlantis will be minimal. whichi s a good/bad thing

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                          I see. Maybe it would help the situation. Right now, I'll admit, I'm just so disappointed in the whole thing really. I might be getting to the point of not being able to watch the show (though I probably will continue).

I'll be honest. I don't think I can watch SG-1 with Mitchell and Vala if they are prominent on the show next season. It might be too painful. It honestly is difficult to watch old SG-1 episodes, only because it was so much better than it is now for me.

Maybe that is why I wish Sam would just go to Atlantis. For some reason, that seems better to me than having to remain in SG-1 as a sidelined character after ALL these years of being a main character. Now maybe they won't sideline her, I don't know. Maybe TPTB heard the uproar several months ago. I also don't think the ratings will get better if they highlight Mitchell and Vala, but TPTB probably think the opposite. Actually, maybe I wish AT was in a completely different series now, and I'll view season 8 as the end of the SG-1 saga.

But, trying to stay optimistic, maybe promoting Carter in season 10 would help the situation as you say.

I hope AT is glad to be back on the set and is having a good time.
                          I feel the same about being so disappointed about the leadership thing.

I seriously never thought it was going to be an issue. I looked forward to seeing her take the reigns and whip the new guy in shape under her command. It never once occurred to me they'd disrespect her this way.

And ask poor tsaxlady...I drove her nuts begging her to reassure me that they'd get it right and Carter would be leading the team.

As for Atlantis, I'm all for the occasional drop by...but I don't want her to be put into the position of squeezing someone out over there either nor do I want her position on SG-1 threatened anymore in any way.

BTW...do you all realize we are over 30,000 posts long and still goin' strong?

GO SAMANDA! All hail her majesty!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                            Yup, that guy is just a blowhard. Needs to learn to shut his mouth is what he needs to do.
                            I don't think so!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                              i wonder are TPTB confusing the murmers of dissatisfaction with certain aspects of the show with dislike of the new formula of the 3 person team with carter in charge. maybe they thought that by restoring the formula of smartass in command of a four person team, that it will solve their problems.

its just a thought that popped into my fron, but i wonder.... hhmmmm.
                              unfortunately the show evolved beyond that, and even when they had the smartass man in command he knew what he was doing.

i'm not sure that they realise that some of the issues people had had nothing to do with carter leading. that was one of the things most people were happy with as far as i know. (obviously excluding the occassional jackass, who had no valid reasons for not wanting carter in command IMO)
                              Not only was the original smartass male a competent leader, he also was smart enough to fully appreciate the skills Carter brought to the table, and he depended on them. Mitchell just seems to be headstrong and is doing his own thing.

Comment

i watched 'the scourge' again last night. and something hit me in one particular scene that i wanted to share with you guys.

Spoiler:
                                first off, the scene between sam and woolsey rocked!! (i replayed it many times to see amanda's snark )

but the scene that hit me was when sam was in the research station and was just walking out. the french guy stopped her and asked her something about if they could hold off the bugs or something (sam gave him a cold look), and then (and this is the part) sam walked out to stand with her team. now check out the blocking of this scene. sam walks out and there's already a place cleared for her. she walks to her place between daniel and mitchell, and then walks to stand *in front* of their line. i'm talking about mitchell, sam, daniel, and teal'c lined up, but sam stood a couple of feet *ahead* of that line. the way it was blocked made it look like SAM was *leading* the team!! it was done on purpose, and the only reason i can come up with was to show sam's domination (in that scene). i squeed!!

k, just wanted to share that lovely tidbit.

oh, another thing... after sam had come out to stand with them, the meaty bugs started setting off the motion sensors and explosions. when the first one goes off, sam not only flinches (they all do), but she whimpers. i loved it!

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X