Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    I know not everyone here shares my irkdom regarding the whole leadership issue. Here's a question to consider though.

What if Sam was promoted to full bird and the rest stayed the same? Would that change or affect your feelings on this issue?

I don't know. I find the current scenario highly insulting to the Sam character and to Amanda. But if they promoted her to full bird, for me at least it would definitely be a move in the right direction...what do you think?

The more I think about it...the more I love the idea btw.
    I would love to see Sam promoted to full Colonel.

But if the rest stayed the same, I think the leadership issue would annoy me even more. Because then Sam would either be sharing command, or second in command to Mitchell who not only has less off world experience, less competence, but then also would be of a lower rank.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
      If Sam got promoted and Mitchell didn't, then wouldn't Sam automatically lead SG-1 unless, like I said, they have her do something else besides being on the team? I don't know if I could stand her not being on the team. If she is taken off the team, then I would rather she be on Atlantis full time.
      You can have someone of a lesser rank be the leader of a team. I've seen scenarios listed elsewhere about this very thing.

I'm saying it would definitely take a bit of the edge off of this issue for me at least. I know Myrth said she had an idea about this too...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hey everyone, I'm finally back on line Had to take the computer in and get rid of that annoying spyware and virus , so now I have some catching up to do
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

You can have someone of a lesser rank be the leader of a team. I've seen scenarios listed elsewhere about this very thing.

I'm saying it would definitely take a bit of the edge off of this issue for me at least. I know Myrth said she had an idea about this too...

I see what you are saying. I think I might feel like Deejay435. I think I would be annoyed even more. The whole idea of Mitchell leading right now is so unbelievable to me. This would just add one more thing to a situation that lacks so much credibility.

How would it take the edge off of the leadership issue for you? I would like to have something that would take a bit of the edge off!! Would this make it seem more clear than Sam is really training Mitchell?

Comment

I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint that they aren't going to do anything about the leadership issue at all. Mitchell is the defacto team leader of record whether it makes sense or not whether it takes away from the most logical Carter arc or not.

So I'm looking at it from the standpoint of what could help make things more bearable. Sam being promoted would help me here.

And if they promoted Mitchell to a full colonel, I think that'd be my last straw.
            You know, I think that the writers are in the exact same place. Well, I think that they were in the same place a few months ago. I think that the writers too want to make things more bearable overall. At the very least I believe they realize that the current situation is a problem for many people for many different reasons.

The sad part, for me, is that in an effort to ameliorate the problem they were/are considering removing Carter from the show. Carter's experience and competence is a problem for Mitchell and a problem for the current course of the show. Period. To remove that obstacle they are obviously willing to chuck Carter to Atlantis for as big a stint as they could have/can get away with. I know a lot of people here aren't opposed to the idea of Carter going to Atlantis. But I am. I think it's a cheap, insulting way to get around the command issues. I think it's a crappy way to treat AT. I think that TPTB hope that fans don't get too angry, that they can maybe convince enough people that Carter is still a vital part of the Stargate universe, all the while making sure that she doesn't become too vital a part of SG-1 and that she doesn't undermine Mitchell's supposed command and Vala's new presence. And, yes, part of my opinion is colored by the fact that I find Atlantis to be a vastly inferior show. But the larger part of my opinion is colored by AT's own reluctance to quietly consent to this course of action. She's clearly made an effort to express her dissatisfaction with the idea, and she's made it clear that she does not want to leave SG-1. I guess we'll all just wait and see how amendable TPTB really were/are regarding this issue as I don't think fans, in general, could express themselves any louder or more effectively than they did when this splitting time idea was first floated.

As for command in season nine, I don't think they could skirt the issue any better if they tried.
            Spoiler:
            There's been some Scourge discussion here over the past few days about why Carter was left in the cave while Mitchell went out on recon. And, while I'd like to believe it's because they wanted Carter to protect the delegates, the cyincal part of me (which is just about my entire being) realizes that it was simply another way to keep Carter and Mitchell separate but equal. Near as I can tell, they're planning on a similar course of action next week in Arthur's Mantle. The writers have gone to great lengths to keep them apart in Ex Deus Machina, Babylon, The Fourth Horseman, Stronghold, and Ethon. Given their apparent reticence to commit one way or the other, I see no reason why this pattern won't continue in season 10. And contrary to what Joe Mallozzi has teased, I'll believe that they'll clarify the command structure when I see it on screen.

Apologies for the cynical outlook, but, despite all other appearances, that is who I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
              I certainly don't want to break down Samanda and more than anything else, I don't want to change the mood of the thread into a policed one. Deepspace, your post made me realize I didn't make myself very clear. What I was thinking with this OT thread was for us to have a fail safe. The SaGC is and will always be our main thread. The other one is meant only for those who want to follow discussions who began there but are going off topic after a while, such as the "how tall are you ?" thing. It began with a picture from Off the Grid and went away very quickly. Why don't we used this other space to move such discussions ? I don't know how many of you are on dial-up, but I know it takes a while to load a page. Can you imagine how frustrating it is for those who want to read only Sam or AT related infos to load pages of posts which have no interest for them (I'm not they're of no interest, just that maybe they should be elsewhere) ? That's what I had in mind. All my apologies if I caused some misunderstanding and concern.
              Well, frankly, I thought the unrest started when the SAGC thread started to become the "Wow! Won't Sam and Vala be great together?" thread. I really felt that was unfair to the character of Sam...and that such discussion should go to a different thread. I stated that at the time. I know there were others who shared that concern.

But although we've always gone off topic with each other, and found out more about each other as people, we have never been about totally unrelated chatter. I missed the, "How tall are you?" discussion several of you have referenced. But that sounds very uncharacteristic of this thread.

What has always made this thread special is our shared love of Sam & AT, and the fact that fans from 16 to 61 are bound together by that love. I feel this has always been the most special thread at GW. We've had many wonderful discussions, "what ifs", etc. about both the character and the actress. And I also feel that some of that has gotten lost in the clutter lately.

I want everyone to be happy. Is there a way we can do that without splitting the thread? Cause I don't think that's going to make everyone happy either.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                You know, I think that the writers are in the exact same place. Well, I think that they were in the same place a few months ago. I think that the writers too want to make things more bearable overall. At the very least I believe they realize that the current situation is a problem for many people for many different reasons.

The sad part, for me, is that in an effort to ameliorate the problem they were/are considering removing Carter from the show. Carter's experience and competence is a problem for Mitchell and a problem for the current course of the show. Period. To remove that obstacle they are obviously willing to chuck Carter to Atlantis for as big a stint as they could have/can get away with. I know a lot of people here aren't opposed to the idea of Carter going to Atlantis. But I am. I think it's a cheap, insulting way to get around the command issues. I think it's a crappy way to treat AT. I think that TPTB hope that fans don't get too angry, that they can maybe convince enough people that Carter is still a vital part of the Stargate universe, all the while making sure that she doesn't become too vital a part of SG-1 and that she doesn't undermine Mitchell's supposed command and Vala's new presence. And, yes, part of my opinion is colored by the fact that I find Atlantis to be a vastly inferior show. But the larger part of my opinion is colored by AT's own reluctance to quietly consent to this course of action. She's clearly made an effort to express her dissatisfaction with the idea, and she's made it clear that she does not want to leave SG-1. I guess we'll all just wait and see how amendable TPTB really were/are regarding this issue as I don't think fans, in general, could express themselves any louder or more effectively than they did when this splitting time idea was first floated.

As for command in season nine, I don't think they could skirt the issue any better if they tried.
                Spoiler:
                There's been some Scourge discussion here over the past few days about why Carter was left in the cave while Mitchell went out on recon. And, while I'd like to believe it's because they wanted Carter to protect the delegates, the cyincal part of me (which is just about my entire being) realizes that it was simply another way to keep Carter and Mitchell separate but equal. Near as I can tell, they're planning on a similar course of action next week in Arthur's Mantle. The writers have gone to great lengths to keep them apart in Ex Deus Machina, Babylon, The Fourth Horseman, Stronghold, and Ethon. Given their apparent reticence to commit one way or the other, I see no reason why this pattern won't continue in season 10. And contrary to what Joe Mallozzi has teased, I'll believe that they'll clarify the command structure when I see it on screen.

Apologies for the cynical outlook, but, despite all other appearances, that is who I am.
                Good old golfbooy! Wow! This is the kind of substantive discussion you can't find anywhere else on Gateworld!

Comment

and speaking of off topic....

MY JELLO GLOWS!!!!! is it radioactive? is it pregnant? what is it!?!

(thanks to everyone who repped me to make it glow. look at it, its all shiny!)

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                    Good old golfbooy!
                    Yup, that guy is just a blowhard. Needs to learn to shut his mouth is what he needs to do.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                      Yup, that guy is just a blowhard. Needs to learn to shut his mouth is what he needs to do.

Naw, it was a great post, golfbooy, and I think you are telling it like it is, unfortunately. Carter is too experienced and too good for the show. She outshines Mitchell at every turn. But TPTB want to keep Mitchell as leader and in the limelight. So, what to do with Carter---the female lead/scientist/soldier of the show for nine seasons.

Comment

Harping in on the full bird issue. That's something I've been throwing about in various discussions for a while now.

I think the value in promoting Carter to full bird is there on a few levels.

Firstly it would resolve the Cam/Sam same rank issue... which honestly... is a ridiculous cop out. But ignoring the politics behind the scenes that created it, it's something that is making the entire fan base squirm from the looks of it. Imagine the general confusion amongst the silent majority who don't follow the show as closely as we do. Can't be a good thing.

Secondly I think that having Sam be a full bird would lead into then having her be the 2IC of the base. Which Jack was when he was a Colonel. That would open the door for tying in the impending Atlantis visits.

Thirdly, knowing what we know of Sam, I think she'd allow Mitchell to run about being hero boy and basically just doing what he does now, but she'd have the ability to pull rank when necessary.

Personally I'd love to see them do it. It'd be a great circle for Carter looking at the entire show. From Captain to Colonel.

I don't have time to expound on it more than that right now, but in story, character and respect to the arc and the fans terms, I think it's a great solution to a really dodgy mess of creative bumbling and mishandling.

sigpic

Comment

i wonder are TPTB confusing the murmers of dissatisfaction with certain aspects of the show with dislike of the new formula of the 3 person team with carter in charge. maybe they thought that by restoring the formula of smartass in command of a four person team, that it will solve their problems.

its just a thought that popped into my fron, but i wonder.... hhmmmm.
                          unfortunately the show evolved beyond that, and even when they had the smartass man in command he knew what he was doing.

i'm not sure that they realise that some of the issues people had had nothing to do with carter leading. that was one of the things most people were happy with as far as i know. (obviously excluding the occassional jackass, who had no valid reasons for not wanting carter in command IMO)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            hey, if ya ain't gonna pimp yourself who will??????

and think of it this way, if you pimp yourself, you get to keep all the money
                            Geez I'm off line for a few days then I come back and find out the room is full of PIMPS
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                              Personally I'd love to see them do it. It'd be a great circle for Carter looking at the entire show. From Captain to Colonel.

ordinarily, i'd say it couldn't happen since officers must serve time in grade before they're even eligible for promotion

but given that the show is handing out CMOH's like they're candy and allowing neoptism with father and daughter in a direct line of command (she may not be military but the cmo still answers to teh base commander) and the co-leaders.....well i'd say anything is possible

ain't holding my breath cause i don't think scifi will allow a woman to be in charge and take away from the hero, but it would be nice and given how they're tending to ignore those pesky regs, its' at least possible
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
                                CHEVRON SEVEN!!!!!

Sam: I was sure Samanda would leave me a piece of Chevron Seven's birthday cake.....

Comment

Working...
                                X