Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    You know, something interesting I realized today in conversing over at the "Who Should Lead SG-1" thread... it really has been Carter who's ended up taking the lead on the large-scale tactical assault type scenarios this season. She's briefed the troops before heading out, she's been coordinating and strategizing. She's been the one to come up with the "answer" a lot of the time as well, but in general, her character has really been doing some leading this year, despite the ongoing issues I know are still present. More so as the episodes go by, and you know what? I think that's why they've been growing slightly better as well. It's almost as though there's an unspoken understanding there now, that Sam knows what to do, and Cameron (in between bouts of wanderlust and great guns blazing) does defer to her experience and expertise.

With Brad coming back next season, I'm hoping we see these small seeds germinate into something much more profound. It's a hope I'm going to cling to, I think!

you know, you're right. it's like i *knew* this, but off on the corner of my subconscious or something. but when you said it, it clicked together. thanks!

now speaking of brad wright... without me having to go back and find out what he contributed to make him so great; what did he contribute to stargate sg1 to make him so great? and this is a real question, because i want to know if he can fix the faults running through this show now.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
      I attributed that to AT keeping the premise of the ep firmly in mind: That is, she pitched her voice low pretty much throughout the ep once they'd realised the bugs could follow them.
      And that's a terrific acting choice. I wish the others had done the same thing as well.
      Originally posted by DEM
      Yup. In an email to a friend I called this "leading subversively". I'm wondering whether that's all AT.
      Well said. I'd betcha it is. She seems to really think through her decisions (artistically and otherwise). I can't imagine she hasn't made this kind of choice on purpose. Especially if we're seeing it more and more.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Or possibly.... if you don't shutup I'll shoot you... phrasing by influence

Originally posted by SunKrux
        I was envisioning that as well, but she was saying "You stupid bleepin' moron!!!"
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          I've already suggested this: AU Janet returns to her home planet to find that all those she holds near and dear (Sam, Cassie, Daniel and Teal'c) have succumbed to the plague while she was gone. Good old doc bravely goes on and utilizes the vaccine she got from Landry and saves the rest of her race. Janet is then emotionally and physically wiped out and decides that she wants to leave her homeland and seek a new beginning. She asks to return to Earth and the SGC. Landry brings her back and allows her to practice in the infirmary (especially since Lam/Doig is on maternity leave anyhow). From there, all possibilities are wide open.
          What a great idea!!!!! Too bad they're going a different direction.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
            I was envisioning that as well, but she was saying "You stupid bleepin' moron!!!"
            And I was rattling off Myrth's sig line in my head when she said that. Believe it or not!

Comment

Yes, essentially moving Samanda away from this thread... that's sort of what I meant.

It would have to be.

I think trying to keep unbendable stricture on topic never works. While, in theory, it looks good and organized on paper (so does Communism), in reality people are people, we form communities, we chatter, we aren't robots and we don't fall into neat little patterns the way forums are structured. That's why there are moderators in place.

Even so, given we're not discussing world-altering seriousness here, I'd vote to either move Samanda to a new thread and leave the Sam Carter Character thread as a Sam Carter Character thread OR... I'd vote to keep it all here and just let it be. We fall off topic, we're nudged back on, either by Skydiver or by some other vigilant soul, no one ever minds that (at least I haven't seen it happen).

The more fragments we break off from the whole, the more we'll notice a fracturing of the community. That's inevitable, which is why I'd be reticent to jump into this, unless there was a really big rift in idealism that necessitated two seperate forum discussion groups.

This thread has been home to the SaGC thread *and* Samanda, quite happily, for a very long time. I apologize if I'm a bit dense in this, but I don't really understand what the problem is now that's
              any worse than it ever was before? Or maybe I just don't get it?
              The biggest issue for me is I didn't use to have to read three and four pages to read something about Sam or Amanda. I'm not trying to be rude to anyone, but part of the reason I stopped reading the shipper thread at all was because I had to go through 10 pages of OT subject just to read one comment about S&J. For me, it wasn't a huge issue because I was only a lurker, but it was still annoying and made me eventually stop reading all together. I just know I've heard regular posters of the thread say on many occassions that they can't keep up with the thread anymore and they get tired of weeding through the OT stuff so they normally just read the last page or so from the last time they read.

Which is a bit sad if you think about it because if we had a really good discussion going about Sam and suddenly someone makes a comment about a Rob Cooper interview and then for 10 pages people complain about RC, then in most cases people would just skip over the good Sam stuff simply to bypass the OT information.

I know people want to just chat and have fun, but honestly, with stuff like MSN, Trillian, IRC ect, is there really a need to go into a 5-10 page discussion? I mean couldn't it just as easily move off the thread? Personally I'd much rather have a real time conversation with someone than sit and wait 2-5 mins in between posts to find out what someone else has to say.

This is just my opinions, its not meant to belittle anyone. It's only meant to offer a differing viewpoint.

Kat

Comment

Lol... I don't let just any geek share my brain thankyouverymuch!!

Whoa. Hey, elegance? I think you've got the wrong geek!

No hurries. Very cool though ... thank you!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                  Or possibly.... if you don't shutup I'll shoot you... phrasing by influence
                  That's possible, as is "If you don't shut up I'll kick your a$$"
                  sigpic
                  I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    you know, you're right. it's like i *knew* this, but off on the corner of my subconscious or something. but when you said it, it clicked together. thanks!

now speaking of brad wright... without me having to go back and find out what he contributed to make him so great; what did he contribute to stargate sg1 to make him so great? and this is a real question, because i want to know if he can fix the faults running through this show now.

sally
                    well, brad created sam and teal'c for starters.

brad, imho, is a master at those little looks, glances and character moments taht make the show so much richer and fuller.

he enjoys his sfx certainly....but never forgets that if people aren't interested in teh story, it don't matter how fancy the effects are, they'll get bored and turn away
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                      It's never been about separating Samanda from this thread. It's been about separated the chatter (like the how tall are you ? discussion there was here a few days ago) from all the Sam and Amanda discussion. As far as I'm concerned, Samanda belongs to this thread. What I really want to separate is the casual chatter between friends who happen to be Samandans from the topic of this thread which is anything related to Sam and Amanda.

In my opinion, discussions about conventions where Amanda is such as GABIT, plans to send letters to Amanda, anything about her or Sam belong to this thread.
                      Exactly! You said it so well! And now, I must leave for the evening, but I wish you all a happy Tuesday.

Comment

Brad Wright & Jonathon Glassner were the pair that originally created the series as I understand it. I remember reading somewhere that Rick wasn't an EP in the first series, so back when Cooper was just a writer, Wright and Glassner were running the show. So I guess Brad was a part of the team that gave us season 1. He's been around ever since, no idea what's happened to Glassner.

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        well, brad created sam and teal'c for starters.

brad, imho, is a master at those little looks, glances and character moments taht make the show so much richer and fuller.

he enjoys his sfx certainly....but never forgets that if people aren't interested in teh story, it don't matter how fancy the effects are, they'll get bored and turn away
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          The biggest issue for me is I didn't use to have to read three and four pages to read something about Sam or Amanda. I'm not trying to be rude to anyone, but part of the reason I stopped reading the shipper thread at all was because I had to go through 10 pages of OT subject just to read one comment about S&J. For me, it wasn't a huge issue because I was only a lurker, but it was still annoying and made me eventually stop reading all together. I just know I've heard regular posters of the thread say on many occassions that they can't keep up with the thread anymore and they get tired of weeding through the OT stuff so they normally just read the last page or so from the last time they read.

Which is a bit sad if you think about it because if we had a really good discussion going about Sam and suddenly someone makes a comment about a Rob Cooper interview and then for 10 pages people complain about RC, then in most cases people would just skip over the good Sam stuff simply to bypass the OT information.

I know people want to just chat and have fun, but honestly, with stuff like MSN, Trillian, IRC ect, is there really a need to go into a 5-10 page discussion? I mean couldn't it just as easily move off the thread? Personally I'd much rather have a real time conversation with someone than sit and wait 2-5 mins in between posts to find out what someone else has to say.

This is just my opinions, its not meant to belittle anyone elses opinions, or OT subjects. It's only meant to offer a differing opinion.

Kat
                          I dunno, Kat. I respect what you're saying, and CG as well. I really do. But I think it's difficult to have this conversation without splitting hairs all together. Lets face it, Amanda's career isn't a "Sam's A Great Character" topic either. Nor is conversation regarding other characters (the very instant we take the Sam context out of those). While most of us would think it obvious that we can discuss those things in addition to (and along side of) the SaGC topic, some might not, and if we start a topic war, we'll have to police everything, not just some things here and some things there.

Emus and Sam Carter may be "obviously" unrelated (or they may not be), my point is - I think we can keep the thread as is and just gently steer people back on track, rather than saying "lets take everything OT elsewhere".

I think what's happening here is that the community got bigger, and we're seeing the normal social ramifications of that. But I still think we can stick together and keep the topic reasonably in-tact.

Respectfully, there's not a single vocal person on this thread who hasn't once dropped an "off topic" tidbit into the pot. It's an ideal utopia to believe we can all have the same idea(s) about what's on topic and what isn't. But the reality is - every once in a while, we might have to wade through a few posts to get to the cream.

On Edit--> Having said that - I went and deleted a post or two of mine from the past couple of days which was off topic, so hopefully it won't add to the reams of pages to wade through, in the interim while decisions are made.

MG
                          Last edited by minigeek; 20 February 2006, 06:09 PM.

Comment

glassner bailed a few years ago. right now he's doing some eps of csi

brad, to me, has a handle on the characters and the show, a much better one than rob has. rob can write....but he gets too distracted by boobs and bombs and the flash in the pan

sigpic

Comment

i know the poll doesn't close until tomorrow, but i think it's just a formality....mg sweetie, make sure you bring your nice shirt to gabit, cause you're gonna be giving your picture to amanda personally

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=24199

congrats sweetie!

sigpic

Comment

Agreed. Plus he clearly has a poor understanding of the audience attachment and emotional entanglements that go with a long standing series. Saying it's newer and better don't make that true. Respect needs to be shown to the characters and the stories that have brought them to where they are, because a lack of respect for them ultimately translates to a lack of respect for the audience.

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                glassner bailed a few years ago. right now he's doing some eps of csi

brad, to me, has a handle on the characters and the show, a much better one than rob has. rob can write....but he gets too distracted by boobs and bombs and the flash in the pan
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X