No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hic Comitas Regit, that's cool. Is it Latin?...No wait that's here she rules. (or actually this [comitas] she rules). isn't it?

and I'm talking about OT ...its not TOTALLY OT

EDIT-::looks it up like the geek she is:: "this train s/he rules" huh. is it greek?
    sigpic
    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities

and I'm talking about OT ...its not TOTALLY OT
      LOL, well we could do topic for the sake of topic..

How about that Sam Carter? What a great character!

**Ooober's crickets chirp**

So... yeah.

Or... hey, we could also assume that since we're all here because we all love Carter's character anyway, that in itself makes EVERYTHING we say on topic! Tee hee...

What? It's a valid correlation!

MG
      (Hey cool, I found Sam Carter's biography! http://www.josaka.com/Content/2001/S...CarterBiog.htm)

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
        A while back our Royal Page suggested we pick an episode each week to discuss. What about picking one that is on the Sci Fi Monday line up so that those w/out DVDs (who have US cable anyway) can participate?
        Tonight it looks like, "Tin Man," "There but for the Grace of God" and "In the Line of Duty" according to the GW main page.

Great idea. When are we going to post discussion? I'm usually busy mon and tues nights?! Tin Man is a great ep to discuss!!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          Or... hey, we could also assume that since we're all here because we all love Carter's character anyway, that in itself makes EVERYTHING we say on topic! Tee hee...
          that's the way I see it. We talk about SAmanda stuff (stuff about Sam, stuff about Amanda, stuff about the thread, stuff about us, stuff about stuff). if someone wants to come in and ask how we think Sam did in the latest ep, then we can talk about that. If someone finds a great pic of Amanda, we can talk about that. and if we somehow start talking about crickets, well, that's ok too.

so what language IS Hic Comitas Regit in?
          sigpic
          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
            Yes, essentially moving Samanda away from this thread... that's sort of what I meant.

It would have to be.

I think trying to keep unbendable stricture on topic never works. While, in theory, it looks good and organized on paper (so does Communism), in reality people are people, we form communities, we chatter, we aren't robots and we don't fall into neat little patterns the way forums are structured. That's why there are moderators in place.

Even so, given we're not discussing world-altering seriousness here, I'd vote to either move Samanda to a new thread and leave the Sam Carter Character thread as a Sam Carter Character thread OR... I'd vote to keep it all here and just let it be. We fall off topic, we're nudged back on, either by Skydiver or by some other vigilant soul, no one ever minds that (at least I haven't seen it happen).

The more fragments we break off from the whole, the more we'll notice a fracturing of the community. That's inevitable, which is why I'd be reticent to jump into this, unless there was a really big rift in idealism that necessitated two seperate forum discussion groups.

This thread has been home to the SaGC thread *and* Samanda, quite happily, for a very long time. I apologize if I'm a bit dense in this, but I don't really understand what the problem is now that's any worse than it ever was before? Or maybe I just don't get it?
            I vote to just keep it all here. But, I have a fairly high tolerance for OT chatter, so...

Splitting threads between Amanda and Sam would be a really bad idea, I think. And I'm afraid if we take "Samanda" off to another thread, the SaGC thread will stagnate.

I guess I'd be okay with a chat thread, and I can see its purpose, but if we must have it, let's make it clear that it's a chat thread... noboby is going to know what Hic Comitas Regit means, and do we really want to have to explain it everytime somebody new comes to check the thread out?

But, when push comes to shove, I don't want to have jump between multiple threads to find the people/topics that interest me... which are neatly bundled right here at the moment.

My LJ

Comment

I'm totally in agreement about starting another thread.

This thread despite being SAGC has always discussed anything Amanda and everyone seems happy with that. A bit of off topic chatter and humour have always been part of the mix, but certainly over the last few months it has been getting out of hand.

I haven't got loads of free time and I find I'm not able to read all the posts as too many pages have been posted since the last time I entered. However the posts I do read are quite substantially off topic and I feel I'm missing out on all the great Sam chatter that used to exist here. I have nothing to respond to and I'm usually stumped for a topic to open on. However I bet I have missed some Sam topics in the pages I have been unable to read due to lack of time.

I have no problem with people being off topic and friendly - but it is now outweighing all the great Sam stuff that the thread is primarily about.

I still would use this as my main thread but would still want to talk about Amanda - she is Sam Carter after all.

I have to say I neither want to lose ALL of the off topic banter. It is a matter of degrees, but for me the mark is very much overstepped at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities

so what language IS Hic Comitas Regit in?
                Latin

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                  I love this one !

Obviously, Samandans don't lack imagination. There's about one propostion from each poster and different ones. I hope we won't have to ask for a poll to determine the name of our OT thread.
                  Lys, if you're going to create a chat thread, just do it and pick a name. Tell us what it is. Take control, woman!

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    Kindness Reigns Here. It's the Samandan Motto. And I love the idea.

However, do we really need an OT thread? It's nice being able to stray occasionally. I mean, the J/S Ship thread do it all the time. When they tried to set up an OT thread, they were told no.
                    The Sam/Jack ship thread tried an off topic thread a good while back, but it just fizzled out. It's there in the depths of OT if you look. Nobody can stop you starting a new thread, unless it's a duplicate of another one. I don't know what you're talking about when you say that they were told no, re starting a thread.

There are many great (and not so great) threads in OT, and I think it's a good idea if people here want a place to chat and get to know each other in a more personal way.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                      I vote to just keep it all here. But, I have a fairly high tolerance for OT chatter, so...

Splitting threads between Amanda and Sam would be a really bad idea, I think. And I'm afraid if we take "Samanda" off to another thread, the SaGC thread will stagnate.

I guess I'd be okay with a chat thread, and I can see its purpose, but if we must have it, let's make it clear that it's a chat thread... noboby is going to know what Hic Comitas Regit means, and do we really want to have to explain it everytime somebody new comes to check the thread out?

But, when push comes to shove, I don't want to have jump between multiple threads to find the people/topics that interest me... which are neatly bundled right here at the moment.
                      It's never been about separating Samanda from this thread. It's been about separated the chatter (like the how tall are you ? discussion there was here a few days ago) from all the Sam and Amanda discussion. As far as I'm concerned, Samanda belongs to this thread. What I really want to separate is the casual chatter between friends who happen to be Samandans from the topic of this thread which is anything related to Sam and Amanda.
                      In my opinion, discussions about conventions where Amanda is such as GABIT, plans to send letters to Amanda, anything about her or Sam belong to this thread.
                      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Lys, if you're going to create a chat thread, just do it and pick a name. Tell us what it is. Take control, woman!
                        That's what I'm about to do. And althought I loved the name "Hic Comitas Regit" because of its ties to this thread, I won't pick this one. Obviously, it wasn't a good choice because some of you thought that it was about separating Samanda from the SaGC which it isn't.

Here's the new thread : The Blue Jello Corner

You're all welcome to use it and ask your non samandan friends to join you. And I want to stress again that it is not about Samanda but about anything else.
                        Last edited by Lys; 20 February 2006, 02:16 PM.
                        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

I guess I'd be okay with a chat thread, and I can see its purpose, but if we musthave it, let's make it clear that it's a chat thread... noboby is going to know what Hic Comitas Regit means, and do we really want to have to explain it everytime somebody new comes to check the thread out?
                          hehe whoops. [though i do find it interesting that if you add 2 letters it could traslate as Sam/AT rules this thread. very cute.]
                          i know what you mean. we currently have 2 SJ threads, and while i like both, i wish they were just in the same one. and then there's the people who use both (including me) who have to post the same reply in both.
                          sigpic

Comment

I respectfully and humbly agree with Strix here.

We are a community bound by our love for the fictional character Samantha Carter and our respect and adoration for the very real, gracious and delightful Amanda Tapping.

I come HERE. When I've had a crappy set of days where works falling in on me, this is my happy place. This is Samanda in all its glory...with its wide variety of people with their different backgrounds, interests, careers and personalities. This is where I come to be amongst friends and family.

So sure there is the occasional this or that. Heck I mentioned Passions airing on SciFi for crying out loud. It is moderately related though if you think about it since it's further indication into the mindset that makes the decisions on the network level. But as long as we don't spend pages talking about the latest contestants on American Idol or wonder if Donald Trump's hair can remain completely still for yet another season, I don't mind a bit of off topic chatter.

So again, I respectfully agree with Strix and let's keep it here!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Ditto! Very lovely!
                              Likewise - very nice touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                                What I really want to separate is the casual chatter between friends who happen to be Samandans from the topic of this thread which is anything related to Sam and Amanda.
                                In my opinion, discussions about conventions where Amanda is such as GABIT, plans to send letters to Amanda, anything about her or Sam belong to this thread.
                                Not that it matters, but I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X