No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of Sci-Fi's wonderful weekend offerings, here's an article from TV Guide that just about sums it up, using next week's movie as evidence.

Recipe for Disaster

Nearly every one of the Sci Fi Channel's deliciously goofy disaster epics follows a standard recipe. Need proof? Check out tonight's DISASTER ZONE : VOLCANO IN NEW YORK which includes all the ingredients of Sci Fi's cheesy
    gumbo:

1) The hero is a down-on-his-luck hunk caught in a surreal calamity. Costas Mandylor stars as a tunnel worker who spies magma beneath the Big Apple.

2) Fate reunites said hero with a fetching, but estranged, spouse. Alexandra Paul (Baywatch) plays Mandylor's geologist ex-wife.

3) Together they face either a natural disaster (or a ravenous creature) linked to a mad science project. Michael Ironside gnaws the screen as a loony seeking to drain energy from Earth's core.

4) The dialogue is above-and-beyond-the-call of camp. Mandylor's female coworker barks, "Lady? I’m a Sandhog!"-a line that's sure to survive as a slogan of female empowerment.

5) The film is gore-ier than Tipper and Al's mansion. One dude's face is scalded while another's hands melt off

6) The F/X are only as good as anything generated by a home computer (dig Mandylor's stone face during a "lava flow") and probably cost only as much. At least that's how it looks. And we wouldn't have it any other way. -G J Donnelly

NC

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      NOOOOOO!

... We get to watch Passions daily now!!! ...
      Sigh. I saw those commercials. I have such an unbridaled hatred for this show, simply because of how it came on the air. The only soap I ever watched was Another World, and Passions replaced it. Which, okay, things go off the air, and I can deal. Heck, I count myself lucky if a show I like lasts more than a few seasons, I'm usually the kiss of death.

But the reason for replacing AW? The actual stated reason? Because that show's target demographic was women 35-45, and we were too old! They didn't want us!

Rejected by a tv show because of my age. Boy that ticked me off!

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
        lol. sci-fi is so weird. people always ask me if I like sci-fi and I say not I like Stargate. It amazes me how big the difference between Stargate/Trek and stuff like Boa verses Python. No offence to anyone that likes that stuff , but i like my gate just fine.
        Hee. I saw Boa vs Python. That was just... horrible.

Of course, David Hewlett looked really hot in that movie. I almost watched it a second time just for that reason. But fortunately my higher brain functions took over and spared me.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
          Sigh. I saw those commercials. I have such an unbridaled hatred for this show, simply because of how it came on the air. The only soap I ever watched was Another World, and Passions replaced it. Which, okay, things go off the air, and I can deal. Heck, I count myself lucky if a show I like lasts more than a few seasons, I'm usually the kiss of death.

But the reason for replacing AW? The actual stated reason? Because that show's target demographic was women 35-45, and we were too old! They didn't want us!

Rejected by a tv show because of my age. Boy that ticked me off!
          I feel ya...I loved Another world too but just so you know, you are factually incorrect.

Another World (where Jake and Vicky still live happily ever after...I'm SOOOO ignoring them being shifted over to As the World Turns where they both were killed off) was replaced by Sunset Beach.

Sunset Beach, which I then thought to be the campiest show on television, was cancelled to be replaced by Passions...which clarified how brilliant Sunset Beach really was comparatively speaking as it truly is the campiest show on television.

And it's now on SciFi.

Whoopie.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            is it the scanniing part that spooks ya?

cause, totally speaking for MG here, you could write out your words and send it to her and she could scan it it.

I could too, but if mg doesn't mind doing it, that eliminates a middle person
            i think the moment i started reading the instructions... i went jack and spaced out.

maybe the instructions weren't as detailed as i thought, but i 'thought' we were 'supposed' to type up our words with some fancy font on the computer, print it off, take it to some scanning place, scan it, then??? i forgot by the end of the instructions. and i don't even know IF those were the instructions!

everything's cool now, though. i've talked with mini and it's alright. (((min)))

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
              I feel ya...I loved Another world too but just so you know, you are factually incorrect.

Another World (where Jake and Vicky still live happily ever after...I'm SOOOO ignoring them being shifted over to As the World Turns where they both were killed off) was replaced by Sunset Beach.

Sunset Beach, which I then thought to be the campiest show on television, was cancelled to be replaced by Passions...which clarified how brilliant Sunset Beach really was comparatively speaking as it truly is the campiest show on television.

And it's now on SciFi.

Whoopie.
              Jake and Vickie. And Cass. I LOVED Cass. I still love Cass. I still want Cass. I....should really stop now.

I'm going to have to ask my best friend what she remembers about this, she was the Florida President of the Save Another World campaign. I was sure it was Passions. I don't even remember Sunset Beach, surely it couldn't be different in different parts of the country?

Speaking of stoping...someone...anyone...make me stop posting in the Who Should Lead thread. Please. My head is in so much pain from all the slamming into a brick wall. It's an addiction, I think. I need help!

Comment

i wonder why the ratings for 'off the grid' never came out?

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Mmm ok.. is this the bizzarro alternate reality Samanda where we talk about anything but Sam or Amanda, or did I miss somethin

*yawn* of course I may also be slightly delerious which is no doubt aiding me right now
                  sigpic

Comment

Today is the day Amanda goes back to the studios for season 10 of SG1. This is a huge milestone both for her and the show. Why don't we celebrate it ? Samanda should be proud of 10 years of the great and wonderful Sam Carter brought to life by the great and wonderful Amanda Tapping. Let's remember. It was not so long ago, a new show was born and we were introduced to Sam :

Sam and her fascination for the wormhole. Sam who wanted so badly to see the other side of the gate.

Sam who was ready to fight for her rights, who demonstrated a huge fighting spirit.

Sam, who loved children and wasn't afraid of showing her maternal side.

Sam, the official McGyver of the team and the gate expert of the SGC.

Sam, a true soldier who saved the base from Hathor.

Sam, the compassionate woman who refused to abandon a scared little girl and listened to her instincts.

Sam who was a geek enough to call her cat Schrödinger.

Sam who always fought and never let go.

Sam who, alternate reality or not, was always a brilliant scientist.

And Sam who had a huge love for C4.

For this amazing character, we should thank all of them who at one moment or another of the show were involved in bringing her to life, and especially the talented Amanda Tapping who portrays her with such intelligence, talent and charm. Sam was a great character from the beginning and has always being one. She was and will stay a role model in our minds and hearts.
                    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      thanks, nc, for c/ping the interview.

so what did i think of it? that i'm out of touch with this show and what amanda is thinking/feeling about it. i'm super glad she's enjoying this show, but i'm not. it's empty to me.

this quote below, though, worries me:

'grace under pressure' wasn't even REAL sam!

and... sam's going to atlantis next season, right? how much you want to bet we're going to get sam/mckay ship next season?

i'm thinking i need to step away from the computer a bit and read some fics or something. anything other than be here right now.

sally
                      I've been catching up on posts tonight, and have resisted the urge to post because several days have gone by since you all had several interesting discussions. But I couldn't stop myself from weighing in on this one. Ladies, once again, this is PR, clear and simple. Amanda is being a team player, and she's delivering the message the press people and/or the producers are asking her to deliver.

The show is down in the ratings, and this official mag is something they control. This is messaging, pure and simple, and each actor will deliver the same message in one place or another. They want you to think that they're satisfied with it, to encourage you to be satisfied with it. Actually, the producers are running scared, and that's why they're having to resort to these tactics. It's propaganda! Please don't take this too seriously, or think ill of Amanda for it. It's part of the job. minigeek, where are you? Please back me up on this!

I hate this kind of stuff, and I'd bet you that Amanda does too! And if she could really tell you how she feels, it would probably be more like this:

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                        Today is the day Amanda goes back to the studios for season 10 of SG1. This is a huge milestone both for her and the show. Why don't we celebrate it ? Samanda should be proud of 10 years of the great and wonderful Sam Carter brought to life by the great and wonderful Amanda Tapping. Let's remember. It was not so long ago, a new show was born and we were introduced to Sam :

Sam and her fascination for the wormhole. Sam who wanted so badly to see the other side of the gate.

Sam who was ready to fight for her rights, who demonstrated a huge fighting spirit.

Sam, the compassionate woman who refused to abandon a scared little girl and listened to her instincts.

For this amazing character, we should thank all of them who at one moment or another of the show were involved in bringing her to life, and especially the talented Amanda Tapping who portrays her with such intelligence, talent and charm. Sam was a great character from the beginning and has always being one. She was and will stay a role model in our minds and hearts.
                        Well said... I love the shots of Sam you chose too...

starprops

Comment

Amen Lys.... and in honor of Amanda's return for a record breaking 10th year as Carter... let's celebrate the 9 years of Samantha Carter!!

Originally posted by Lys

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                            Amen Lys.... and in honor of Amanda's return for a record breaking 10th year as Carter... let's celebrate the 9 years of Samantha Carter!!

Thank you Myrth. ( Grr ! I nearly messed again with your name. Do you realise how difficult it is to write it for me ? )

Now, who wants to celebrate season 2 Sam Carter ? Come on, it's a huge year for her : Dad, Jolinar, first time in charge of the team... Or shall I go on and flood you with caps ?
                            Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Lys and Myrth, thank you so much for getting us back on track. I am about to step up on my trusty soapbox, it's a bit rickety but what the heck ...

I have noticed that we are having the tendency lately to go OT much more than the usual ... Now OTs are certainly normal when on a busy thread like this, to be expected from all of us as we get a related idea or want to share something newsworthy, personal or funny with our fellow Samandans. However, after a point, when they reach critical mass, it gets a bit frustrating trying to find the real content.

Here it comes, the royal whine: in the days of yore (Samanda's early history), there was more due diligence to staying on task. We would wander a bit and LOL and then steer back into Samanda waters.

I guess what I'm saying is that, when a fellow Samandan wants to know more in depth about an OT remark, can that be taken up by a PM or rep or email to the person who peaked your interest?! By this little courtesy, we are freeing up the thread space to the important Sam moments and discussions that may be going on and, thus, making it so much more convenient for our regulars and guests and lurkers to follow a train of thought and stay on topic.

Does this make sense? Or am I coming across as the Terminator?! (Go away, Jester, and let me play in my sandbox!) Yes, it may be my age - I grew up without instant communication and PCs and cell phones. And I still tremble when I'm in public and am forced to listen to someone's very private conversations within a couple feet of my own space.

I love this thread, it is, in fact, the only part of the forum that I live in. And I love all you guys. I just think there is a common courtesy that we should all be mindful of in "open space" even if it's "cyberspace". And that is, what is the purpose of my communication? Does it need to be said "out loud" or can I better say this in private to the one or two other posters who are interested?

Okay, this is an OT post on the subject of OT posts. So I've already violated my own request, eh?! And I certainly do not want any one of you to take this personally as this is a common behavior that everyone engages in. No guilt trips intended, just enlightenment ... think of me as Oma this morning. Or, if you think I'm really preaching too hard, than banish me to the realm of the Priors.

Respectully, Jester Whose mind wanders as much as any other Samandan. Good Lord, just ask Coley or Strix or 1speed about that one!! Psst, it's probably better to PM them if you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys

Hear hear!

Comment

Working...
                                X