Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan
    Sadly no. The Stars of stargate have been relegated to background characters and the new characters that should have been background have been propped up as the 'new stars'. And by propped I mean literally forcibly held up because they cannot keep themselves up by the level of characterization they have been given.

Stargate SG-1 was about SG-1. After RDA left they should have focused on Carter, Daniel and Teal'c slowly bringing the new guy in, learning about him and accepting him and such. It should have been from their point of view. Instead we get new guy and the world that revolves around him. I much rather see the world that revolves around Carter, Daniel and Teal'c as those characters have earned my love over a long period of time. I really could give 2cents about the new guys.

EDIT: And next year with the SG universe revolving around 2 new people I dont care anything about, well, no there is just no hope anymore. If not for the other 3 still being present and a good ep with them from time to time, and the fact I am taping the show for someone else, I would have already stopped watching.
    Thanks for repeating what many of us have expressed also.

To build or remodel a home, there should be a strong foundation laid. The firm foundation of Stargate SG-1 is the team itself as portrayed by the veterans of eight previous seasons: Sam, Daniel and Teal'c. These guys have done a heckuva job and deserve to be in the forefront.

Then, bring on the new characters and situations and set them within the context of the original team. Loyal fans will watch as the original team reacts to the changes going on around them. We care because the focus is on our stars and we have history with them. We are curious and interested in seeing how Sam, Daniel and Teal'c respond to all the changes in their lives and at the base. As we watch the new characters absorbed into the Stargate mythology/arcs, we start to care about them too because Sam, Daniel and Teal'c are involved with them. Bingo! Synergy and sympathy start to develop.

This was the direction needed when Jack was written out and S9 began. Instead (and I know some take offense at my metaphor) the baby (concept of original team as still consisting of Sam, D and T with Sam as leader) was thrown out with the bathwater (Jack gone). The writers disbanded the group and sent them off in other directions so they could bring in a quasi-leader. Change is hard; it's a fact of life. Fans did not need the double whammy of Jack leaving and team gone too in the first episode back. We were looking for a constant, not a confounding variable!

Rather than Sam giving up her leadership status for R&D at Area 51, how much more intriguing it would have been if they had Sam somehow captured or injured off-world the first five episodes, maybe declared MIA. This arc would have understandably added an extra member to their team (Mitchell as interim leader) and then provided a reason for off-world adventures the first five episodes: the search for the missing leader, Sam. These adventures sans Sam would have introduced them to Vala, other aliens and the Priors ... finally, finding Sam and bringing her back, perhaps injured at first and not so active (so that AT had some initial time to get back on camera after her maternity leave and get in shape and stronger towards end of S9). Point is: Sam would have been welcomed back as the respected leader of her team and promptly reinstated after her recuperation. By now, we would be feeling good about Mitchell too because he held the team together and helped in finding Sam.

How I would have loved to have seen this kind of plot development at beginning of S9. Yes, you could make the argument that maybe AT would change her mind and not fully commit to the new season. Who knows? Just sayin' ... in the best of all worlds, Sam Carter would have been written as the fallen, missing hero lost somewhere in another galaxy. The stuff of myth, eh?! And don't tell me that would not have kept the fans tuning in, riding out the suspense each week. I am getting carried away but I so hoped for "the quest for Carter". Instead, I'll have to read some Samfic and hope that Amanda is given due respect and adequate screen time in S10.

I just feel so bad for Amanda that it went down the way it did. She is a trooper and one classy lady and is riding it all out with style and grace. And I enjoy every scene with her in it just because she's still hanging in. Amanda lights up the screen and adds so much because she is not a prima donna and carefully stays in character even when the focus is not on her. She works so well within an ensemble cast; yet she can stand alone on her acting merits. I think some of TPTB don't know what a gem they have.

This is the part that bothers me the most: Sam Carter was seen as a role model for what women could become, rising to the top of their professions. Taking command away from Carter was a slap in the face for all the Sam Carters who have felt the sting of injustice in their own lives.

Amen.
    Last edited by ChopinGal; 18 February 2006, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

To build or remodel a home, there should be a strong foundation laid. The firm foundation of Stargate SG-1 is the team itself as portrayed by the veterans of eight previous seasons: Sam, Daniel and Teal'c. These guys have done a heckuva job and deserve to be in the forefront.

Then, bring on the new characters and situations and set them within the context of the original team. Loyal fans will watch as the original team reacts to the changes going on around them. We care because the focus is on our stars and we have history with them. We are curious and interested in seeing how Sam, Daniel and Teal'c respond to all the changes in their lives and at the base. As we watch the new characters absorbed into the Stargate mythology/arcs, we start to care about them too because Sam, Daniel and Teal'c are involved with them. Bingo! Synergy and sympathy start to develop.

This was the direction needed when Jack was written out and S9 began. Instead (and I know some take offense at my metaphor) the baby (concept of original team as still consisting of Sam, D and T with Sam as leader) was thrown out with the bathwater (Jack gone). The writers disbanded the group and sent them off in other directions so they could bring in a quasi-leader. Change is hard; it's a fact of life. Fans did not need the double whammy of Jack leaving and team gone too in the first episode back. We were looking for a constant, not a confounding variable!

Rather than Sam giving up her leadership status for R&D at Area 51, how much more intriguing it would have been if they had Sam somehow captured or injured off-world the first five episodes, maybe declared MIA. This arc would have understandably added an extra member to their team (Mitchell as interim leader) and then provided a reason for off-world adventures the first five episodes: the search for the missing leader, Sam. These adventures sans Sam would have introduced them to Vala, other aliens and the Priors ... finally, finding Sam and bringing her back, perhaps injured at first and not so active (so that AT had some initial time to get back on camera after her maternity leave and get in shape and stronger towards end of S9). Point is: Sam would have been welcomed back as the respected leader of her team and promptly reinstated after her recuperation. By now, we would be feeling good about Mitchell too because he held the team together and helped in finding Sam.

How I would have loved to have seen this kind of plot development at beginning of S9. Yes, you could make the argument that maybe AT would change her mind and not fully commit to the new season. Who knows? Just sayin' ... in the best of all worlds, Sam Carter would have been written as the fallen, missing hero lost somewhere in another galaxy. The stuff of myth, eh?! And don't tell me that would not have kept the fans tuning in, riding out the suspense each week. I am getting carried away but I so hoped for "the quest for Carter"! Instead, I'll have to read some Samfic and hope that Amanda is given due respect and adequate screen time in S10.

I just feel so bad for Amanda that it went down the way it did. She is a trooper and one classy lady and is riding it all out with style and grace. And I enjoy every scene with her in it just because she's still hanging in. Amanda lights up the screen and adds so much because she is not a prima donna and carefully stays in character even when the focus is not on her. She works so well within an ensemble cast; yet she can stand alone on her acting merits. I think some of TPTB don't know what a gem they have.

This is the part that bothers me the most: Sam Carter was seen as a role model for what women could become, rising to the top of their professions. Taking command away from Carter was a slap in the face for all the Sam Carters who have felt the sting of injustice in their own lives.

Amen.
      Hear Hear!

Wish I coud green ya, but I need to spread it around a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
        You cannot reach Warp 10. Fundamental law of Trek. And they broke it.
        I use to love the Kirk-McCoy-Spock tension. But you are right Trek just had the WORST continuity. Enterprise was the last straw. I really think babylon 5 was the first Sci Fi show to have the kind of high continuity that Stargate has...

Loved Sam last night. Woolsey FINALLY gets it......... (understands)

Comment

How I would have loved to have seen this kind of plot development at beginning of S9. Yes, you could make the argument that maybe AT would change her mind and not fully commit to the new season. Who knows? Just sayin' ... in the best of all worlds, Sam Carter would have been written as the fallen, missing hero lost somewhere in another galaxy. The stuff of myth, eh?! And don't tell me that would not have kept the fans tuning in, riding out the suspense each week. I am getting carried away but I so hoped for "the quest for Carter"! Instead, I'll have to read some Samfic and hope that Amanda is given due respect and adequate screen time in S10.

Amen.
          So well said. I, too, was hoping for a quest for Carter opening to the season. Or even a scenario where if they insist on including V, they still make Carter important.

Maybe they call in Mitchell b/c they need their best pilot to fly recon over an area they suspect Carter is being held.
          She's found, but badly wounded and it takes a few weeks for her to be back on full duty. We get a glimpse of her in the infirmary (easy day for AT, lying in bed); lots of worried looks by the team. Daniel & Teal'c demand reassurance that the new doc knows what she's doing. Teal'c implies it would be dangerous to fail in the task of healing Col. Carter.

In the meantime, Mitchell is temporarily assigned to SG1 b/c they appreciate the work he did on the Carter mission. They do a few odd missions with Cam & V and make references to Carter's rehab. & missing her ) Carter comes back in Beachhead?; still limping, but they need her expertise, so she fights the pain & saves the day. Then Carter comes back full time, (having gotten a clean bill of health) resumes command and Mitchell is left on as 2IC to her. They address the fact that he's still learning but has potential.

Comment

On the "who should lead SG-1?" poll, Carter is up to 70%!

Comment

Hey MG

guess what i just did?

scanned in my little signature thingie and mailed it to you

so.....it's in the mail

whee!!!
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Just figured I'd throw in here and say that I really enjoyed the Sam/Woolsey stuff in The Scourge too. Amanda Tapping played it great; she wasn't too snarky, she wasn't too conciliatory. Great stuff from Sam.

I mentioned in the episode thread that I got a serious O'neill vibe from Carter during that scene. Her whole response to the situation reminded me of how Jack would have dealt with it, particularly when it came to the delegates. It was just a little thing, but I liked that sort of tie in. I got the impression that Carter has learned alot from O'neill, that she is very capable of handling these situations. I've posted earlier that this season Carter seems to exude a resigned sense that, yes, she is the most qualified to handle these situations. It does fall to her. I think Amanda Tapping is playing it spot on. There is a hint of cynicism, and an overall sense that responsibility for the well being of the program rests on her. I'm getting that from Daniel as well. And it works for me. It's one of the few things this season that does.

Comment

Sky - awesome! I shall check on those emails shortly and let ya know how they came out. Only have a couple signatures so far, but there are a lot of months to go and I'll get pestery with reminders as we get closer to my deadlines. What I do have so far look great - it's really going to be cool !

Originally posted by golfbooy
                  I mentioned in the episode thread that I got a serious O'neill vibe from Carter during that scene. Her whole response to the situation reminded me of how Jack would have dealt with it, particularly when it came to the delegates. It was just a little thing, but I liked that sort of tie in. I got the impression that Carter has learned alot from O'neill, that she is very capable of handling these situations. I've posted earlier that this season Carter seems to exude a resigned sense that, yes, she is the most qualified to handle these situations. It does fall to her. I think Amanda Tapping is playing it spot on. There is a hint of cynicism, and an overall sense that responsibility for the well being of the program rests on her. I'm getting that from Daniel as well. And it works for me. It's one of the few things this season that does.
                  I've noticed quite a few O'Neill-isms in Carter's character this season as well. As a 'shipper, I choose to also tie those into her new (relationship) with Jack, similar to the way that AU Carter said: "For Cryin' Out Loud" in that one episode that made both Jack and Sam blink a little awkwardly in surprise across the table from her. So those sorts of little things, make my shipper heart glad. And make me believe the writers are adding them on purpose.

Apart from that, I love the way Sam's grown beyond the ultra-serious scientist, and as Amanda already pointed out in her most recent magazine interview, become more confident, established more of a sense of humor in life. That character evolution is one I really agree with for Carter. The wry cynicism is really appropriate in that regard. I really enjoy it watching it.

minigeek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

There's one thing that I've noticed in the past few episodes. I don't know if it's AT/SC that's doing it, so I'll throw out a question to this group.

I've noticed that in some scenes, she is biting her upper and lower lips together. I've saw it about 3 weeks ago and passed it off. Then last weeks episode, I saw it again and again last night's episode.

Is it AT that's doing it or is it Sam?

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                      Just figured I'd throw in here and say that I really enjoyed the Sam/Woolsey stuff in The Scourge too. Amanda Tapping played it great; she wasn't too snarky, she wasn't too conciliatory. Great stuff from Sam.

Great points and well expressed as I have felt this too about Carter lately but was not really sure how to say it -

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        My views about The Scourge:

Spoiler:

As much as I thoroughly enjoyed the scene between Sam and Woolsey, I have to say that I was totally floored that when Mitchell and Teal'c went to go get the F-302's they once again left Sam behind with the IAO members.
                        you're right, that was totally wrong.
                        Spoiler:
                        Daniel should have been the one to stay with the IOA. Not only is he the best one to keep them calm (not that the Sam scene wasn't great!), if his military skills aren't enough to leave him alone like that at this point, he shouldn't be on the team. Sure, there's the factor that the IOA members would rather have an officer (or Teal'c) watching out for them, I think they'd rather have 3 piolets to get them out of there faster! Sam definatly should have switched with Daniel. That was a bad call from the TPTB (and Mitchell, but I refuse to acknowledge he makes the calls).

Sam was lovely with her SCENE, shooting, and day saving. Teal'c's one liners against Mitchell were wonderful, but I can still feel Mitchell being pushed to the front. Its stupid, he doesn't belong there.
                        Last edited by ParadoxRealities; 18 February 2006, 01:45 PM.
                        sigpic
                        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                          you're right, that was totally wrong.
                          Spoiler:
                          Daniel should have been the one to stay with the IOA. Not only is he the best one to keep them calm (not that the Sam scene wasn't great!), if his military skills aren't enough to leave him alone like that at this point, he shouldn't be on the team. Sure, there's the factor that the IOA members would rather have an officer (or Teal'c) watching out for them, I think they'd rather have 3 piolets to get them out of there faster! Sam definatly should have switched with Daniel. That was a bad call from the TPTB (and Mitchell, but I refuse to acknowledge he makes the calls).

You know, I wasn't bothered by it. You know why?
                          Spoiler:
                          Because if I had been in Sam's position, I would have SENT Mitchell on some errand just to get him out of my hair. Can you imagine being stuck for hours in a cave with the guy? He would have been whining the whole time, and he would have been bouncing off the walls in minutes. Sam was the best person to stay with IOA people simply because she was the most competent person to keep them alive. And that was the mission objective.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            Har. I only wish I looked that good. Maybe in my next life. Cute though!

Oh something neat happened to me last night, though. I was out with an actor-friend last night (completely unrelated to Stargate), and she had this cool car pick us up; an Audi A8, black with tinted everything and all the toys inside (there was a magazine in the backseat pocket that had stuff in it I couldn't afford if I was dreaming *cough* but it was nice to look at). And the driver was this great big tall dude in a long black car coat with a black hat on, who looked a lot like he was (and may well have been!) trained to kill people. He was very sweet and nice though, otherwise. We went all over downtown like that, and he pulled us up right in front of the theatre and later the club, right on the sidewalk, we weren't even allowed to open our own doors. It felt like I was a SUMbody I tell ya. LOL - very cool. If only for a night!

minigeek
                            Gee mini. Sounds like it was kind of fancy eh. Do you meet a lot of actors in your job? You do CG visual effects don't you?
                            And I'm curious, as a 3D modeler, do you know anything about 3D modeling for compuer games? Or do you only do film/television? And do you do post production effects or do you get to do any of the pre-vis stuff with animatics?

Sorry for the OT. I'm just curious.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
                              Thank you ChopinGal for the compliments! Here is another one for ya. Not neccessarily a Sam episode....but Sam is always featured in the ones I do lol.

I beg to differ, A Matter of Time is most cetainly considered a Sam ep. in fact, it's my favourite Sam ep!

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

How I would have loved to have seen this kind of plot development at beginning of S9. Yes, you could make the argument that maybe AT would change her mind and not fully commit to the new season. Who knows? Just sayin' ... in the best of all worlds, Sam Carter would have been written as the fallen, missing hero lost somewhere in another galaxy. The stuff of myth, eh?! And don't tell me that would not have kept the fans tuning in, riding out the suspense each week. I am getting carried away but I so hoped for "the quest for Carter". Instead, I'll have to read some Samfic and hope that Amanda is given due respect and adequate screen time in S10.

Amen.
                                Brilliant post! I haven't really got anything to add that you haven't already said, but I just wanted to say that.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X