No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting the serious impression that they are focusing so much on incorporating new characters that they aren't putting much effort into fleshing out the characters that we already have. This is nothing against new characters, it's just an observation that while they are pouring everything that they've got into the newcomers, the other characters are suffering for it.
    I can only imagine that this would be disappointing for an actor who has been playing a role for so many years, to suddenly find that their character doesn't have much, well... character anymore. It could become kind of dull for them after a while. One of the challenges, and I assume also one of the joys, of acting is to have new challenges. Amanda especially is such a wonderful actress that her ability shouldn't be wasted on something mediocre. And yet at the same time I can see how it would be for an actress to want to stick with and be loyal to something that she's invested so many years of her life into.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      Happy Birthday Strix
      Here's a little something for you
      http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/2...eads4353ag.jpg
      Sorry that's as far as he would go, even with Jack's prompting
      I dunno, but I think Strix would prefer one of Amanda's flag pics

Have a good one Strix

Comment

You know the saying, "Methinks thou doth protest too much"? (side thought: actually that's Miss Piggy's twisting of Shakespeare's "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" from Hamlet. side-side thought: Miss PIGgy? Misquoting HAMlet? BAHAHAHAHAHA)

Oh whoops. Lost my original thought. /me ponders

Oh right! I remember now; the quote. Hey...I'll start again just for clarity's sake and leave off the Miss Piggy/Hamlet stuff, mmmkay??? *snurkles again at play on words*

You know the saying, "Methinks thou doth protest too much"?

It seems that the opposite is true here. Methinks they doth praise and rave too much regarding the whole Mitchell's leadership issue. And anyone that knows me knows this is a VERY irksome issue for me. If you don't believe me, check out any of the past or current leadership threads here on GW.

But it seems as though the whole thing is being shoved down our throats. Repeatedly and forcefully. And as a fan of the show that used to be so clever and the characters of old, I resent the living daylights out of it.

I hope they do something next year to end this whole CO-leadership debacle...because it's a serious mess. Either make Cam a real leader or give the command fully to Sam, who deserves it, has trained for it for a decade and actually knows what she's doing.

When Mitch screws up, it's the result of a stupid idea to begin with culminating to its logical most cliched conclusion. Doesn't take much thought there to write I imagine.

When Sam screws up, it was after a well thought out plan had a wrench thrown in it. Of course this means really thinking about the plot and potential gaffes and plot holes and the science and the details of that episode. Meh...too much work I guess. Why go to the trouble when you have a walking-talking-cliched plot device at your disposal?

Yes...this issue bothers me and frankly is starting to make the series unwatchable. Hmm...perhaps it's time to wander to the anti-thread to whine a bit there.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Happy birthday Strix!!!

I just wanted to throw in a - what I would like to see next for Sam type thing.

Personally I'd like to see Sam promoted to full bird colonel and be regarded as the 2IC of the base. We know Sam wouldn't power trip, so I'm thinking that would work in the sense that she'd let Cam try to get them killed, but ultimately would outrank him. Not that she'd pull rank unless absolutely necessary.

Given the backstories we've been given Sam was a part of the team who put the then X-302s together. She's been there dealing with this stuff far longer and likely before Cam even knew there was a Stargate program. Cam ended up being in an F-302 squadron. Surely experience with the program has to count here. Those squadrons could only have been created after the successful completion of the experimental program.

To use an analogy, I see Sam as the Stable Manager and Cam as a jockey basically.

To me it would be more interesting to see the character growth and experience honored and Sam in a more senior role, and take the traditional mindset of team leader out of the picture, rather than what's being done now. In season 8 she was Jack's second, in the very least her superior experience should be acknowleged. But last I checked I wasn't on the writing staff
          sigpic

Comment

NC, would there be a way of you scanning the actual article (like you scanned the pages to show the pictures) so we could read the 'entire' interview?

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday Strix!

Comment

Happy Birthday
                Strix

(In Place of the traditional birthday cake!!!)

Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Ummm, nevermind. I didn't realize how many pages were posted since I was last here. I'll catch up before I comment...

Comment

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday Strix

may you have a fantastic day and....ok, don't tire her out too much. Olivia's gonna want her mommy back
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i think with cam they are, well first of all i think they are subject to someone at scifi interfering with a 'he's the star, you WILL focus on him'...then contracticting themselves with a 'vala's our new 'star' you WILL focus on her'

which kinda doomed mitch during his first few precious weeks of introduction

and i also think that they haven't sat down and said 'ok, this is mitch. this is his strengths, his weaknesses and this is how to write him' and have just let the writers go

because of this, we get some that write mitch as a relatively competant officer who's a bit giddy to be livinig his dream...and we get the writers that are marty sueing him something awful and so mitch is so incredibly 'unstable' that you never know if you're gonna get the officer or the goof

and then throw in to the mix the various directors. some of which are trying to make mitch his own man, others that are living through him and turning him into a goof in the pursuit of a cheap laugh and quick joke

so what do we get? a character that's as changable as the kansas weather, and just as reliable

and i do agree, in their love affaire with vala and then with the focus on mitch they've totally forgotten the chick, the black guy and that other dude that used to be on the show. sam, daniel and teal'c have been pushed to the background in favor of hte new and shiny toys

i look back at how jonas was brought in. yes, there was a vital difference, jonas was never meant to be more thana part of the whole not the leader, yet jonas' intro was handled relatively well given the short notice they had about shanks' departure

however, even though cam is a leader and not a part of the team...he's still a PART of the team. the issue is, they seem determined to forget and ignore that team stuff

what i'm afraid of is next season when i have a bad feeling it'll be the cam and vala hour with the other three pushed even further into the background.

sigpic

Comment

little big
                        Last edited by dexterav; 17 February 2006, 03:54 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

you know, i just thought of an upside to the potential for sam, daniel and teal'c being sidelined for cam and vala

AT will have more time to spend with olivia and enjoy more of those fun pre-terrible 2's toddler years

and it also could open up more time for her and the boys to experiment with other projects, thus giving them the opportunity to do something posiitive for thier career while bb and cb are chained to the slowly dying show

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            you know, i just thought of an upside to the potential for sam, daniel and teal'c being sidelined for cam and vala

AT will have more time to spend with olivia and enjoy more of those fun pre-terrible 2's toddler years

and it also could open up more time for her and the boys to experiment with other projects, thus giving them the opportunity to do something posiitive for thier career while bb and cb are chained to the slowly dying show
                            For me, simple, it's time ENDING THIS SHOW (without shame for this show)
                            sigpic

Comment

not until skiffy can break that record and have bragging rights

my not so fun prediction is that s10 will be the last of sg1 but that there stands a good chance of being a spin-off

cam and vala going off in a stolen ori ship to kill the ori/deal wtih that plot device that is introduced in camalot

i have the feeling that scifi wants to recreate farscape and since they can't do it in name, they will do it with actors and a ship and probably figure out that fans are so stupid they'll never know the difference

but, what i do find encouraging....let skiffy recreate farscape. i dont' care, i won't watch. It'll finally give AT a chance to expand her career a bit and maybe give directing a try.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                not until skiffy can break that record and have bragging rights

my not so fun prediction is that s10 will be the last of sg1 but that there stands a good chance of being a spin-off

cam and vala going off in a stolen ori ship to kill the ori/deal wtih that plot device that is introduced in camalot

i have the feeling that scifi wants to recreate farscape and since they can't do it in name, they will do it with actors and a ship and probably figure out that fans are so stupid they'll never know the difference

but, what i do find encouraging....let skiffy recreate farscape. i dont' care, i won't watch. It'll finally give AT a chance to expand her career a bit and maybe give directing a try.

My view is that SG-1 won't have the solid ratings it needs to go with a spinoff if they continue in the direction they are going. The ratings are significantly lower than last year at this time (and somewhat lower than compared to season 7 at this time). I know there are other factors going on, but this trend of falling ratings in the second half has only happened in season 9 while on Scifi. Seasons 6,7, and 8 second halves have all done consistently better than the first halves.

JM mentioned awhile ago that 2.0 is solid and that is what they hoped for. This is not happening, although maybe the ratings will climb back up for these last five episodes.

To get a spinoff or continue with SG-1 in season 11, the ratings have to get better again. IMO, the only way to do this is to bring back the original three of Carter, Daniel and Teal'c to the forefront in season 10. I don't think TPTB get that, nor do they care, but I think if they don't do this in season 10, it's over for good. Clearly, I could be completely wrong!

Comment

Working...
                                X