Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
    It's part of the general dumbing-down (maybe so Mitchell won't stand out so much?<<g>>). I couldn't believe in "Ethon", for example, that they went along with that idiotic "deal" what Daniel "worked out" (I guess, to avoid getting shot)--and then they all, Sam included, seemed shocked, shocked, that Rand reneged. Was anyone here surprised at that??

They no longer are bothering to come with intelligent solutions to problems--heck, they aren't even coming up with *any* solutions, sometimes. Mitchell escaped how?--so let's just distract everyone with skin.

Feh!
    At least in the early days (oh yeah the good old days ) when they showed skin, like the infamous locker room scene, at least they had a good story and a good reason for it.
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
      Anybody still planning on sending a card or letter to Amanda? Today is the 12th, so that leaves 8 days!
      Do we have an address to send to?

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
        Did I read somewhere once that Amanda Tapping really admires Carol Burnett?
        Does anyone else remember reading this? It may have been in a chat transcript or something.
        One time she got the opporunity to meet Carol on location of something because AT's friend was working on it... but at the last second Amanda chickened out because she was too afriad to go through with it Can you imagine Amanda being so star!struck!? Aww, lol. Sounds like something I would do, not her! (((Amanda)))
        The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
        |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
          One time she got the opporunity to meet Carol on location of something because AT's friend was working on it... but at the last second Amanda chickened out because she was too afriad to go through with it Can you imagine Amanda being so star!struck!? Aww, lol. Sounds like something I would do, not her! (((Amanda)))
          I guess that goes to show you how down to earth Amanda really is
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            ben's the same height as ms, but ms comes off 'bigger' because of his muscles/build.

i really wouldn't be surprised if the camera work is done to purposely make mitchell come off 'larger', but it's not really fair when his co-stars are already a larger than average cast.

sally [/whine]
            Sorry, I find this incredibly hard to believe. If the camerawork is set up to make Mitchell look bigger, why does he often look smaller than the other guys? And this kind of cracks me up because I've heard Daniel fans talk about how TPTB block a scene with Daniel in front of Mitchell to hide the fact that Ben is smaller. (Which is absurd, of course, because the farther away you are, the smaller you'll look.) But I truly can't believe they think about this when setting up a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              oh, yes, she does!

(i'd like to know what she thought of 'noises off' and 'the four seasons', both with carol burnett?)

sally
              I actually think that Amanda, herself, got to play a part in Noises Off as a stage production during her live-theatre days. I think it's listed as one of her performances, don't know which part though.

At GABIT we found out that she had the chance to go on site and meet Carol Burnett at a recent event near Vancouver, but became so nervous about the whole thing that she turned down the offer! Oops, sorry ... I should catch up on the posts before replying ... as MajorSam already talked about this.

AT seems quite humble and unpretentious, definitely not a prima-donna type. When the GABIT directors surprised her with her very own private visit to the set of Coronation Street in Manchester, she did not call attention to herself and her entourage and did not even want to go and mingle with the cast. She was just thrilled to take it all in like any other fan.

Sally, sorry you have to go to work ... but if you lived on the east coast, you probably would have gotten the afternoon off today! We had over a foot of snow in Philadelphia area and NYC had a record-breaking 27+ inches of the white stuff. This storm was so weird that I awoke in middle of the night because of lightning and thunder! And yet we were at below-freezing temps!

Boston is bearing the brunt tonight! Lots of shoveling going on from Virginia to Maine!
              Last edited by ChopinGal; 12 February 2006, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                actually its bad continuity, and they have someone whose job it is to specifically take care of this. the director has a lot more to do than just make sure the make up is exactly as it was in another scene, that may have been shot before or may be shot after the one being shot, if that makes sense.

its up to the make up dept and the continuity people to make sure every detail is right. at least thats my understanding of it. the director has ( or at least should have) way more than just this on his mind.

keep in mind that this is the guy who made sure the fruit loops matched in WoO, by making the props guys glue them together!
                Don't get me started on continuity, Barbie. When I wrote my Ripple Effect Fic I had to study the scenes closely, as I was trying to explain all the gestures and facial expressions etc. But the scene in the commissary had so many continuity errors, I couldn't do it. One minute Sam's hands were stretched out, the next her arms were folded. It was so annoying!
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                  Sorry, I find this incredibly hard to believe. If the camerawork is set up to make Mitchell look bigger, why does he often look smaller than the other guys? And this kind of cracks me up because I've heard Daniel fans talk about how TPTB block a scene with Daniel in front of Mitchell to hide the fact that Ben is smaller. (Which is absurd, of course, because the farther away you are, the smaller you'll look.) But I truly can't believe they think about this when setting up a shot.
                  I obviously don't know what specifically goes through the minds of the Stargate directors and camera crews, but the practice of making a shot look a certain way, down to who stands where in order to produce whatever effect is desired - including making one character appear to be taller - is both common and widespread in motion picture and television production. It's part of the director's vision and creative control, and one means by which a director conveys ideas and information to the audience without resorting to dialogue from the actors. Making someone look taller is a valid psychological technique to convey the idea that that person is more powerful or more commanding (taller people are consistently perceived as more intelligent, more powerful, and more commanding, better leaders, better looking, stronger, etc., in every survey that psychologists make), and composing the shot that way allows a director to convey all that to an audience without having to waste dialogue in the process.

Whether that was the idea with Mitchell and Carter is another question entirely, but the use of camera angles and focus, color, detail, shot composition and framing, et cetera - including playing with perspective and depth of field to make one actor look taller or emphasize his/her presence - in order to convey impressions and information to the audience is part and parcel of what any film or television director actually does.
                  ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                    Hey ChopinGal... the Samanda motto has jumped into history in the modern middle ages. Check out the writing on the pavillion in the third picture.

http://homepage.mac.com/wolfpaws/axe...toAlbum45.html

(I love it when my hobbies all come together. )
                    This is so cool and to think that Samandans can visit you and you'll put us up in this tent in your backyard, right?!

Still LOL at Coley's astute observations. Oh, if you share a brewsky together at end of day, then I think you should invite fellow Samandan security guard, 1speed, too. The man has just returned from a weekend beerfest!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      We had over a foot of snow in Philadelphia area and NYC had a record-breaking 27+ inches of the white stuff. This storm was so weird that I awoke in middle of the night because of lightning and thunder! And yet we were at below-freezing temps!
                      Channelling Sam here: most large snow storms actually contain a great deal of cloud to cloud lightning, and, hence, of course, thunder. The snow content of the clouds actually aids them in developing and holding a charge in the cold, dry winter air. It's just rare that the lightning and thunder occurs at an altitude that makes it perceptible to observers on the ground. It's often much more perceptible from aircraft aloft near, or in the storm.

Channelling Daniel here: traditionally / superstitiously, "Winter's thunder brings summer's wonder" and a winter storm with thunder and lightning portends a year/summer of strange occurrences, upsets, unexpected events, reverses of fortune, et cetera. This tradition dates back to the Roman era, at least, when lightning strikes - and what they struck - were routinely taken as omens, and, therefore, a storm out of season was an even more meaningful omen. (I wonder if the Ancients taught the Romans that, too...) Since this is the second thunder snow this winter, it'll be interesting to see what the year actually holds.
                      ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

So... way cool news. When I reserved my AT2 ticket, they were already sold out of the cocktail party tickets (the same day they went on sale!?) - but tonight I got a note saying I could buy one since I was on the waiting list (yay me!) - I'm sending my cheque out tomorrow morning. Is there a way to know where you're sitting though? Could I, like, sit with some of you guys? Or do they just put you wherever? I'm goin' solo to this thing, so I won't even have a buddy!!! Geek needs help! Er.. friends?

mini(thetallish)geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                          So... way cool news. When I reserved my AT2 ticket, they were already sold out of the cocktail party tickets (the same day they went on sale!?) - but tonight I got a note saying I could buy one since I was on the waiting list (yay me!) - I'm sending my cheque out tomorrow morning. Is there a way to know where you're sitting though? Could I, like, sit with some of you guys? Or do they just put you wherever? I'm goin' solo to this thing, so I won't even have a buddy!!! Geek needs help! Er.. friends?

mini(thetallish)geek
                          That's soooo cool! I'm on the waiting list too. But I reckon I'm miles down it. Doubt I'll ever get one.

Go to the Gabit thread in the fandom sub forum. Kliggins is keeping track of people to organise GW tables.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            That's soooo cool! I'm on the waiting list too. But I reckon I'm miles down it. Doubt I'll ever get one.

Go to the Gabit thread in the fandom sub forum. Kliggins is keeping track of people to organise GW tables.
                            Ok coolness. Thanks hun!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                              Making someone look taller is a valid psychological technique to convey the idea that that person is more powerful or more commanding (taller people are consistently perceived as more intelligent, more powerful, and more commanding, better leaders, better looking, stronger, etc., in every survey that psychologists make), and composing the shot that way allows a director to convey all that to an audience without having to waste dialogue in the process.
                              Well obviously they haven't met my 5'0" Polish mother. She could make the strongest marine wimper
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                Ok coolness. Thanks hun!
                                Just checked my email! I got an offer too. Looks like it was a pair of tickets that got cancelled! WHoooooooot!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X