Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    it's very possible.

humor is incredibly subjective and PdL is a scream on stage at a con.

i do sometimes question his judgement when it comes to directing. They seem to lack someone that has the ability to rein him in and force him to play like a big boy

someone has pointed out that in 2 of the 3 eps she considers bad for cam, prototype, strong hold and OtG, PdL has directed 2 of the 3 and all 3 were written by the same person

perhaps what we have is a writer that has a distinctly different interpretation of cam and a director that lacks the vision to make cam look 'better' and simply lets him look fun
    If it's really this, isn't it sad ? It would mean that they started writing and directing the episodes without even knowing who Cam really is, without giving him a definite personality. Maybe they were going for giving him some character traits as the season was going on.
    I don't remember what time of the year it was when we learned that SG1's fourth was going to be Lieutenant colonel Mitchell. Do you think there's a slight possibility that Cam was written first as Major Mitchell (that's how he behaves most of the time) and that they made some last minute changes in the scripts to make him act accordingly to the new status ? Is there a possibility that they could change some lines, even some scenes but not all the plot hence Cam being the idiot of the week sometimes ? I really wonder.
    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
      For those interested this is the final in the Shades of Sam series... now what am I doin for my next series [ponders...]

This is beautiful Myrth, and coming from a non shipper, it means something.
      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Hi guys. I've been away for a few days, so have a bit of catching up to do, but just wanted to drop by tonight before I go to bed. It's good to see a couple of faces who I haven't seen in a while... Astro, MajorSam and SG1fanintn. And I also see a new creation in the Shades of Sam series from Myrth.
        So it looks like I'm going to have a lot of fun.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

NEEDS BUMPING UP A LITTLE!!

Myrth - lovely pic

Deepspace - Great to see you!

Astro - thanks for another fanfic link!

fanint - great photo of RDA!!

Comment

Myrth, you've excelled yourself! That's amazing. Now.... purple or yellow. Purple or Yellow....
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by gatenv
              Having listened to a couple of season 8 DVD commentaries with PDL and Gary Jones, I wouldn't be surprised if they think the character is just really funny. Their "humor" through the commentary is a bit juvenile for me. Ok, a lot, but humor is a subjective thing. I think the grownups have left the show.
              Couldn't agree more about the potty humor and flatulence jokes which just pander to the lowest common denominator again. Whatever happened to quality control and stretching yourself to new levels of creativity?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                Whatever happened to quality control and stretching yourself to new levels of creativity?
                Well both CJ and MS wrote stories that went to air and AT did a wonderful job directing. Oh do you mean amongst TPTB? Well that just may be a lost cause
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I suggest we sack TPTB, and let the cast write and direct things themselves. Errrr..... with BB on moderation for the first few eps, of course.
                  Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                    Oh all this talk about height, 5'9, 6'1,6'3 and even 5'5
                    I'm feeling a little lacking in the department at 5'1 1/2
                    If anyone needs me I'll be in the infirmary with the big honking needles
                    OK Mandy. You got MacKay, sorry for you, but I'm an inch shorter than you, and not even good in the infirmary
                    sigpic
                    There are only two things to worry about: either you are well or you are sick.
                    If you are well, then there is nothing to worry about: but if you are sick; there are two things for you to worry about: either you get well, or you die.
                    If you get well, then there is nothing to worry about. If you die: then there are two things to worry about: either you go up or down.
                    If you go up, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you go down, you will be so busy shaking hands with old friends you wont have time to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                      For those interested this is the final in the Shades of Sam series... now what am I doin for my next series [ponders...]

NICE :-D My favorite. Non-shippers, close your eyes LOL

On edit, no, don't look away, its too beautiful
                      Last edited by Historian; 12 February 2006, 07:09 AM.
                      sigpic
                      There are only two things to worry about: either you are well or you are sick.
                      If you are well, then there is nothing to worry about: but if you are sick; there are two things for you to worry about: either you get well, or you die.
                      If you get well, then there is nothing to worry about. If you die: then there are two things to worry about: either you go up or down.
                      If you go up, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you go down, you will be so busy shaking hands with old friends you wont have time to worry.

Comment

Can anyone tell me where to find some really good Amanda screen caps for Off the Grid???
                        Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian
                          OK Mandy. You got MacKay, sorry for you, but I'm an inch shorter than you, and not even good in the infirmary
                          Well Historian, just put the heels on and we can both pose as Janet
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by starprops
                            I'm new - So Hi... I just wanted to comment on the lack of "showing" Sam get whumped... A friend of mine , in school, was telling me his mom is one of the ones who "censor" US TV programs and told him there are very strict protocols they have to follow, for example - aman can only be filmed hitting a woman if his hand is open - they wil not allow TV shows to show a woman with a fist, ironically they do allow them to show a mand pistol whipping a woman or hitting her with a rifle but, [but not in the face, with the rifle butt, but they can be shown pistol whipping a woman ib the face]... They can show the aftermath of a close fissted beating and "creative dorectors can show the man on the verge of puncing her, [like within inches, but have to cut away and have the actress react with a groan or whatever]..
                            The thing that get's me is that they are allowed to show a woman getting raped or an on-screen husband physically abusing his on-screen wife, even with fists...
                            So I think they were following censorship rules... I've heard Amanda at conventions talk about these sort of scenes and she has no problem with thoses scenes, in fact she said during "Death Knell" she kept on asking for more blood and dirt - she said it helps her to stay in the scene and she did reveal that she does most of her own stunts and learned how to take a "punch/backhand" way back when she started doing Theatre...

starprops
                            Hey Starprops,

Welcome to Samanda.

Interesting post, and normally I would say that's what's going on, except for the fact that on Battlestar Galactica, when Lee/Kara got into a fight, it was a fistfight, and Lee literally punched Kara (and it was shown on US TV).

Maybe it's not the US TV factor, as much as the time the show airs. After all SG-1 airs in the supposed "family" time slot, whereas BSG airs in the "adult" time slot.
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes i am shiper but is SAM
                              Last edited by dexterav; 12 February 2006, 07:49 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                maybe dani has a point. maybe cam's assassination is more the victim of

a) a writer that doesn't quite have a handle on him
                                b) a director whose idea of 'good' and 'fun' is potty humor and adolescent jokes

don't get me wrong, PdL is a good guy...but he's got the mentality of a teenager over dosed on testosterone. He probably thinks american pie is the epitomy of fantastic entertainment (for the record, i hate movies that rely solely on sex and potty humor to be called entertaining)

deliberately or not, Cam is getting 'killed' by members of the crew. and given that we have a writer and director in common during two of the 'worst' occasions, it could very well be nothing 'organized' but simply a lack of abilty on behalf of a writer and director
                                I have to agree on PDL's humor. All you have to do is listen to the episode commentaries he does to pick up on that.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X