X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spoilers for s8's threads & moebius

Originally posted by golfbooy

(snip)

For me personally, I'd have liked to see SG-1 continue as it was originally conceived and successful. If that meant that the show had to stop, and that I'd only get a miniseries now and then or a movie every so often, well, then that's what I'd have preferred. Going on in this fashion has robbed the show of that self-contained uniqueness which set it apart from other TV fare. And stopping at Moebius allowed a sense of closure for the characters that I don't think they'll ever be able to acheive again.
    i agree. the fishing scene at the end of moebius (repeating the same ending of threads) was to show that these heroes had finally fought all the bad guys and were ready to move on (to better things). and rightfully so.

continuing the show feels empty. or, i should say, the way the show's continued feels empty.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      spoilers for s8's threads & moebius

i agree. the fishing scene at the end of moebius (repeating the same ending of threads) was to show that these heroes had finally fought all the bad guys and were ready to move on (to better things). and rightfully so.
      Yes I agree

continuing the show feels empty. or, i should say, the way the show's continued feels empty.
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
        Perhaps, but having the ship out in the open would irrevocably change the on-screen dynamic between Sam and Jack. However they resolved it, their relationship would be different; the implications of their actions would be different; their interactions would be interpreted differently by the audience; and it would affect the team dynamic, because they would rightfully be perceived as "a couple" whereas whoever was with them would not be a part of their "couplehood." Shippers might love it; non-shippers might hate it. All I'm saying is that TPTB might prefer ambiguity to having to manage, with certainty, that new dynamic in a future two-hour movie or mini-series. Just a thought.
        for ppl that watched farscape and firefly, did 'it' ruin the team dynamics? even though i'm guessing the answer , i haven't watched either show. so, really, i'd like someone to answer.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

for ppl that watched farscape and firefly, did 'it' ruin the team dynamics? even though i'm guessing the answer , i haven't watched either show. so, really, i'd like someone to answer.

sally
          From what I have seen of FS( 3 seasons ), I don't think the romantic aspects has ruined the team dynamics, but the dynamics of the characters seem to be very different than Stargate. In both Farscape and Firefly, the people on the ship( Serenity and Moya ) were basically outcasts, thieves and ex-prisoners if you will. They were alone, relying on each other to survive. They lived by their own rules and there was really nothing preventing any of them from being together other than their own hearts/minds.

Whereas the situation between the members of SG-1 was completely different. They were a team of four members working for the USAF. It takes place on Earth and they must all adhere to the codes and regulations set forth by the military establish for which they work. Realistically Sam and Jack couldn't have both remained a part of SG-1 and been involved with one another ( unless they did so secretively, and I don't think they would have kept their USAF support if they had choose to go that route ). So inorder to allow Sam and Jack to be together, one of them would have had to quit the military or been transferred to another team and I do think that would have changed the dynamic of the team.

Would Jack stop caring for Daniel and Teal'c just because he openly shared his affection for Sam? No, I don't believe so. However, it leaves one to question if Jack did allow himself to become involved with Sam and he were suddenly put into a position where he had to choose between Daniel or Sam's life, would he be able to so? The way I look at it now, Daniel, Sam and Teal'c are all like children. Jack loves them all and choosing one over the others would be impossible to do, because one does not love one child more than the other; but if he allowed himself to become involved with Sam he would be destroying this balance. Would he immediately choose Sam now because he was in love with her? Or would he choose Daniel because he wouldn't want anyone to believe his decision to save Sam was due to his relationship with her? Personally, I think as a CO, Jack probably became more deeply involved with all three members of his team that he truly should have, but it was this great dynamic that made so many of us enjoy the show in the first place.
          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 10 February 2006, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
            Would Jack stop caring for Daniel and Teal'c just because he openly shared affection for Sam? No, I don't believe so. However, it leaves one to question if Jack did allow himself to become involved with Sam and he were suddenly put into a position where he had to choose between Daniel or Sam's life, would he be able to choose? Would he immediately choose Sam because he was in love with her? Or would he choose Daniel because he wouldn't want anyone to believe his decision to save Sam was due to his feelings for her? Personally, I think as a CO, Jack probably became more deeply involved with all three members of his team that he truly should have, but it was this great dynamic that made so many of us enjoy the show in the first place.
            the questions you're asking would make a wonderful scenario to work through in an ep and/or movie, actually.

'would' jack have more probs? would sam resent it? would both over compensate and screw it up even more?

with the way these two characters (and the actors choice in portrayal) have been portrayed, i think sam and jack could easily push the 'he/she's my significant other' aside and do their jobs. now would the attempt be successful is another thing. but i truly believe that both are military minded enough to know that duty comes first.

if you want a good example of how sam and jack would react under 'that' kind of pressure, look at season 4's 'divide and conquer'. jack wouldn't leave sam behind and sam didn't want jack to die because of her. BUT, daniel and teal'c didn't want to leave sam and jack behind... is that because they're 'in love' with sam and jack? no, it's because they 'love' them and didn't want to leave them to their deaths. they chose to die with them.

sam and jack's feelings haven't compromised the team, sam-jack-daniel-teal'c already did this years ago.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Hi everyone!
              2. page

of course thnx for greeny
              S&J TOGETHER
              sigpic

Comment

sally
                As a FS fan, I'd like to answer this one. When John and Aeryn got together on FS, the writers were very careful to keep the UST (unresolved sexual tension) up. The first time John and Aeryn got together, there was a second, "twinned," John waiting in the wings, biting his nails, and wondering how things were going with the other John and Aeryn while they were away on another ship. These are spoilers of course, but I don't tell you how there ends up being just one John again. But due to the trauma of what Aeryn went through, the writers were able to delay getting John and AEryn back together again until the end of the series.

So, the short answer to your question is that getting the romantic couple together didn't ruin the show because the couple never really got together until the end of the show.

And no it didn't ruin the team dynamics, though the time spent on the relationship did get more and more screentime as the series wore on, which sometimes gave the supporting characters less to do. Fans of the supporting characters were not happy, that's for sure. But FS wasn't written as an ensemble. It was the story of John Crichton, which means whoever his love interest is is going to get a lot of attention. Same thing with his enemy and best friend. On FS, there really wasn't a team anyway, it was an anarchy for the most part. I hope I'm making sense.

Comment

Originally Posted by ForeverSg1
                  Would Jack stop caring for Daniel and Teal'c just because he openly shared affection for Sam? No, I don't believe so. However, it leaves one to question if Jack did allow himself to become involved with Sam and he were suddenly put into a position where he had to choose between Daniel or Sam's life, would he be able to choose? Would he immediately choose Sam because he was in love with her? Or would he choose Daniel because he wouldn't want anyone to believe his decision to save Sam was due to his feelings for her? Personally, I think as a CO, Jack probably became more deeply involved with all three members of his team that he truly should have, but it was this great dynamic that made so many of us enjoy the show in the first place.
                  I think this situation has been touched upon, if you remember the episode Entity (and who doesn't) Jack was put in the most difficult position of his life, having to shoot Sam twice with a zat and killing her. He made the difficult chioce between Sam's life and the security of the base. (sniff, sniff) So yes given the choice between 2 members of the team I think Jack would make the correct one, depending on the circumstances
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Realistically Sam and Jack couldn't have both remained a part of SG-1 and been involved with one another
                    Well, yeah, but "realistically" as soon as they both realized they were in love (whether or not they did anything about it) they shouldn't have served together, either.

However, it leaves one to question if Jack did allow himself to become involved with Sam and he were suddenly put into a position where he had to choose between Daniel or Sam's life, would he be able to so?
                    I never bought into that logic. And here's why.

It's true that becoming physically intimate with someone definitely strengthens one's feelings for that person, but I still have to stick by my original thought - even if they never became intimate - if they felt more for eachother than friendship, if they were in love, then those questions would be there regardless, even if they never physically acted on them.

I really think all four of them love one another intensely - perhaps even more than your average very close family, given their experience(s) together. There's an indescribable bond. I don't think Jack would have any harder a decision trying to decide whether to save Sam or Daniel if he was sleeping with Sam, then he would have if he wasn't. He loves them both (differently) even now. He's held(hugged) and comforted probably both of them more than once over the years after something terrible happened.

Physical intimacy is an act of passion, but not the definition of it. If you catch my meaning.

minigeek
                    Last edited by minigeek; 10 February 2006, 06:46 AM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                      Well, yeah, but "realistically" as soon as they both realized they were in love (whether or not they did anything about it) they shouldn't have served together, either.

I never bought into that logic. And here's why.

It's true that becoming physically intimate with someone definitely strengthens one's feelings for that person, but I still have to stick by my original thought - even if they never became intimate - if they felt more for eachother than friendship, if they were in love, then those questions would be there regardless, even if they never physically acted on them.

I really think all four of them love one another intensely - perhaps even more than your average very close family, given their experience(s) together. There's an indescribable bond. I don't think Jack would have any harder a decision trying to decide whether to save Sam or Daniel if he was sleeping with Sam, then he would have if he wasn't. He loves them both (differently) even now. He's held(hugged) and comforted probably both of them more than once over the years after something terrible happened.

Physical intimacy is an act of passion, but not the definition of it. If you catch my meaning.

minigeek
                      Mini... phrased perfectly as usual. Sam and Jack couldn't love each other any more even if they were sleeping together, that's just a display of their love, not creation of it. It doesn't alter their feelings.

I also agree on your idea of the bonding, especially with Jack. They are an incredibly tight knit group, it's something that in most military situations is frowned upon, because the feelings can affect decisions, but here it is the key strength, what separates them from the rest. Jack has a relationship with each member of his team that is so strong, he could never make a choice like that. In fact, I can quite see him refusing to make that choice.
                      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                        So... anyone here from Phoenix? I'm heading that way for a business trip in March...

That would be a, "Yes."

How long will you be here???

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                          I think this situation has been touched upon, if you remember the episode Entity (and who doesn't) Jack was put in the most difficult position of his life, having to shoot Sam twice with a zat and killing her. He made the difficult chioce between Sam's life and the security of the base. (sniff, sniff) So yes given the choice between 2 members of the team I think Jack would make the correct one, depending on the circumstances
                          And S8 dealt with Jack having to make those choices, albeit as base commander versus team commander...

From the end of Endgame S8: After waffling for a bit on the decision to blow up the ship because Sam was in it and then Daniel too, he hesitates, the ship gets away, but the Prommie beamed them out before the ship left...
                          JACKSON (to Jack): In retrospect, maybe you should have destroyed the ship when you had the chance.
                          O'NEILL: Yeah. Tough choice. (He turns and walks away.)

S8 for all the irritations it held writing-wise for me, did show Jack as absolutely uncomfortable and hating that he was forced to make choices that moved him beyond his original scope in protecting the team to protecting the world which would involve decisions that would killing his team (i.e. his 'loved ones' or 'adopted' family).
                          Originally posted by minigeek
                          And that's a good point if you think about it. Given two people infused with as much integrity, honor and dedication to their principles as these two seemed to be, it's true. *grins* But they did, and it made for some wonderful angst along the way.
                          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

A little change of topic here, I am just wondering (and hoping) that tonights episode Off the Grid will be tape worthy Let's hope we get to see some more kick a$$ Sam
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar

S8 for all the irritations it held writing-wise for me, did show Jack as absolutely uncomfortable and hating that he was forced to make choices that moved him beyond his original scope in protecting the team to protecting the world which would involve decisions that would killing his team (i.e. his 'loved ones' or 'adopted' family).
                              Which is why I am still confused as to why he would accept a promotion to where he is. If he couldn't handle leading the base, how is it that he is
                              Spoiler:
                              handling being Head of Homeworld Security
                              ? I dunno, all RDA asked was that Jack be kept alive. That could've meant that he retired. Instead, TPTB wrote what they wrote (crappy, IMO) about Jack and have now begun to forget he ever existed.

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                              And that's a good point if you think about it. Given two people infused with as much integrity, honor and dedication to their principles as these two seemed to be, it's true. *grins* But they did, and it made for some wonderful angst along the way.
                              I agree. Amanda acted the heck out of those scenes - so did RDA. But there comes a time where it really needs to be addressed. Threads did that in a way. But that whole
                              Spoiler:
                              Martouf/Sam near kiss
                              was really unnecessary. If the whole point was to address Sam as SoldierSam, they really dropped the ball on that one. I, for one, am tired of all of this chain-yanking by TPTB.
                              sigpic

Comment

I'm glad these guys hesitate to do anything that may result in the others' death. I'm sorry, but if they were all business, all the time, I don't think I'd be able to buy into the fact that these four characters are like family, with a bond that no one but them can truly understand.

Comment

Working...
                                X