Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
    He was one of the fireman (or maybe the only one) that slid down the pole and then ran toward the camera. You only get a glimps of him as he runs past.
    Thank you! I had always wondered if that was him.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

i want to see it, and i'm not ashamed to admit that. i know the writers have trouble writing the simplist of scenes, but 9 years is a loooooooong time to wait for the pay off. so if marriage is the pay off, i'd prefer to *see* it. but... if i had to choose between having it happen but off screen vrs having it not happen because they don't want to show it, i'll choose the former.

i loved the way the romance scenes between sam and pete were written in the first half of chimera (even though my heart broke to the tenth degree), and that's what i want for sam and jack. yeah, *romance*.

sally
      I dunno, Sal, I don't think Sam and Jack can do "romance". IMHO, it's just not... them. Hearts and flowers, wedding dresses and vows... I just don't see it with those two. Their relationship would be quirky and understated; intense, with a wry sense of humor and just enough galactic mishap to make things awkwardly endearing. The payoff (for me) would be in the moments surrounding their acknowledgement, not the acknowledgement itself, which is why I think a wedding on the show would be OTT (again, just mho). I'm all for a hot little make-out scene at some point, hey, that could be fun. And I agree, they crossed a line in Chimera, so an eye for an eye! But... as a general rule, understatement and innuendo, with a liberal dose of humor - that's how I'd want to see my Sam and Jack canon-ized.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
        I absolutely think that it depends upon the audience. The shippers vs non-shippers is the biggest rivalry in television - no matter what medium. I also think that sometimes interviewers are *only* interested in asking those types of questions and not any questions about the character of Sam itself. Sam Carter came onto the scene as Sam, not half of a couple. Along the way, they gave her a backstory - family, former fiance. A smart interviewer would ask all about Sam herself and perhaps not about the Sam/Jack story.

I am an unashamed Sam/Jack shipper. However, I never ever want to see a wedding on screen. Would I like to see a kiss between our Sam and Jack? Absolutely. And since we saw a morning after between Sam and Pete, I would like to get a glimpse, just a glimpse, of Sam and Jack. Otherwise, let's just see something like a shot of the inside of her locker - a picture of the two of them or his ball cap hanging on a hook.

Sam Carter is identifiable as Sam - scientist, soldier, hero - not just as half of a coupling. That's what we love about her in the first place.
        one of the things i notice on tv shows (ALL tv shows) that have the One True Love couple is that they will find every reason under the sun to keep them apart, including hooking them up with other characters. i understand the idea - keep throwing out the crumbs to the starving fans - but when they keep depriving the OTL pairing and give a lot to the romance with the 'other'... what do the fans of the OTL get at the end? do they get to see the romance?

this affliction isn't only happening on stargate, it's rampant on tv. any fans of the jordan/woody pairing on 'crossing jordan' know what i'm talking about. it's old, it's cliche', and it's frustrating as hell. *that's* why i want *more* for the sam/jack relationship pay off.

use some imagination for crying out loud

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
          well it is spelled pro-cess
          I say pro-cess, too. Having grown up here in Toronto, I say all my O's and ow-oo-ts... <g>

From what I can hear in my American friends (and from when they tease me), the difference between the Ontarian "about" and the mid-western USA "about" in pronunciation is this:

ONT: Ah-Bow-oo-t
          US: Ah-Bahw-t

And yup, I'm guilty of the TOR version.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

i want to see it, and i'm not ashamed to admit that. i know the writers have trouble writing the simplist of scenes, but 9 years is a loooooooong time to wait for the pay off. so if marriage is the pay off, i'd prefer to *see* it. but... if i had to choose between having it happen but off screen vrs having it not happen because they don't want to show it, i'll choose the former.

i loved the way the romance scenes between sam and pete were written in the first half of chimera (even though my heart broke to the tenth degree), and that's what i want for sam and jack. yeah, *romance*.

sally
            I definitely want a resolution on SG. What that entails is a little different for each shipper. I watched JAG through all of Harm’s side kicks until tptb decided on the Mac character. After many many years of watching and the resolution was left semi-resolved kinda like “Threads” for SG. I loved Treads, of course there were some very sad parts (which I didn't like), but the episode left things open for more conversation, more resolution between J/S in my mind. So I’m hoping RDA will have more guest appearance in s10. I hope they do better than they did this year with his time. I would love for a resolution between him and Sam. I would also like to see his friendship/banter with Daniel & Teal’c. I know wishful thinking, but hey it's my wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
              That elevator scene did it for me. I still love Jack with a passion , but AT so sold Sam in that scene that she became my favorite.
              sam became my fave in 'emancipation'. kick butt sam! soldier sam! female -BUT not having it make her 'less' because of it- sam! i loved that scene at the end, when she beats the crap out of the mongol leader. that's when sam became my fave.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                I say pro-cess, too. Having grown up here in Toronto, I say all my O's and ow-oo-ts... <g>

From what I can hear in my American friends (and from when they tease me), the difference between the Ontarian "about" and the mid-western USA "about" in pronunciation is this:

ONT: Ah-Bow-oo-t
                US: Ah-Bahw-t

And yup, I'm guilty of the TOR version.

mini
                I don't know mini, it's just all so confusing sometimes. I think we sound the same as most American newscasters myself (maybe they are using a Canadian accent ) Anyway hoping everything is going well in Tarrana
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

he's the one with dark hair, thinning just a bit. he's kinda short (relatively speaking) and with a darker skin, more olive toned.

he kinda reminds me of a lumberjack type of person. just under 6 feet, kinda stocky, but not chunky. a 'i know how to fix-it around the house' type. someone who's no stranger to a hammer and nails and is just at home in the garage as he is in some ritzy restaurant. (bear in mind i'm basing this off 'meeting' the guy for a whole 4.5 seconds at gatecon 04)
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    he's the one with dark hair, thinning just a bit. he's kinda short (relatively speaking) and with a darker skin, more olive toned.

he kinda reminds me of a lumberjack type of person. just under 6 feet, kinda stocky, but not chunky. a 'i know how to fix-it around the house' type. someone who's no stranger to a hammer and nails and is just at home in the garage as he is in some ritzy restaurant. (bear in mind i'm basing this off 'meeting' the guy for a whole 4.5 seconds at gatecon 04)
                    Well he is a carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                      I agree, but I also think that in some ways she is very traditional. That's why I think she'd probably use Lt Colonel Samantha Carter O'Neill in formal situations, and just use Sam Carter everyday and Dr Samantha Carter when publishing.
                      so her married name would be samantha c.o.?

i like the ring to that.

sally, who thinks sam should be in total and complete charge of sg1!
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

so her married name would be samantha c.o.?

i like the ring to that.

sally, who thinks sam should be in total and complete charge of sg1!
                        No doubt about that here
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          Well he is a carpenter
                          I love a man who's good with his hands!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            I love a man who's good with his hands!!
                            And knows how to use his tools
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              canadian and american can be easy, unless you're talking to an american from the wisconsin/minnesota area

canadians do the nasaly long ooooo on things. like vancoooovvveerr

americans do can-cuver

you can hear AT's canadian when she goes 'helloooo' she gets that slightly nasal thing going
                              Hmm, I lived in Seattle for over twenty years and I have always called it 'Vancoover'. I honestly have never heard it spoken any other way. I have heard a few times when Amanda's accent has slipped through, but in most cases the only time I think her accent is truly noticeable is when she's in England and speaking with more of an English accent.

'Body' is one of the words that I can clearly hear an accent, but I have to admit that I think I noticed the accents of the people in Boston more than I ever noticed from the people who lived north of me in BC, Canada.
                              I'm sure the cities that are near the US/Canadian borders probably have a alot of cross-overs so the accents begin to become indistinguishable.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                I dunno, Sal, I don't think Sam and Jack can do "romance". IMHO, it's just not... them. Hearts and flowers, wedding dresses and vows... I just don't see it with those two. Their relationship would be quirky and understated; intense, with a wry sense of humor and just enough galactic mishap to make things awkwardly endearing. The payoff (for me) would be in the moments surrounding their acknowledgement, not the acknowledgement itself, which is why I think a wedding on the show would be OTT (again, just mho). I'm all for a hot little make-out scene at some point, hey, that could be fun. And I agree, they crossed a line in Chimera, so an eye for an eye! But... as a general rule, understatement and innuendo, with a liberal dose of humor - that's how I'd want to see my Sam and Jack canon-ized.

mini
                                i just want to *see* them in a romantic relationship, even if it's one ep of them kissing/making out and making googly eyes at one another. it doesn't have to be sugary sweet (which i really don't know what that means?), but i don't want to have waited for almost ten years to have the entire thing be handled 'off screen'.

but i'm reasonable. i'm not expecting the sam/jack show (ie the daniel/vala first five eps show), just a *visual* acknowledgement of the *romantic* relationship.

there, now i feel better.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X