Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LaCroix
    I remember taking "The Offical" test as a kid. My score was 125. I've never lived up to that potential.
    I remeber this obnoxious guy from high shcool who bragged that he had a genius IQ. He was in my history class and our teacher gave tests back in order of highest to lowest mark. Well whenever my friend and I beat him (which was often) the rest of the class would kinda cheer for us
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
      May I go OT and add my own warning to this?

IQ scores are not the only, nor most important, way of measuring intelligence. And the pigeonholing that comes from them can often be quite detrimental. I work in the field of MR/DD (mental retardation and developmental disabilities) and have seen people turned away for services because their IQ score is 'too high'. As if someone with a 71 IQ needs less assistance than someone whose IQ is 70.

Add to that a warning that Online IQ tests are notoriously unreliable, and often bolstered for whatever reasons. (Most likely, in my experience, to get you to buy their 'full IQ report. Those are the ones that I've seen give the most over-inflated scores.) I've scored anywhere from 125 to 165 on online tests, which shows 1) that online tests are not true measures of IQ, and 2) No test really is. Whose to say I wasn't sick, or distracted, or just tired when I scored on the lower end? As to those scores in the 150-165 range, I still maintain they were trying to get me to buy their report.

(I take a lot of online tests, I find test-taking relaxing. Yes, I'm odd.)
      Great post, Deejay!

And I see that your intrapersonal intelligence was operating when you got those high scores online!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
        I remember this obnoxious guy from high school who bragged that he had a genius IQ. He was in my history class and our teacher gave tests back in order of highest to lowest mark. Well whenever my friend and I beat him (which was often) the rest of the class would kinda cheer for us
        You went to school with Rodney McKay??!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          You went to school with Rodney McKay??!!
          Well we are both Canadian eh
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
            Me too...I think being a carpenter would be cool. I love watching all the home shows that teach you how to do all the woodwork. Sadly, you typically need to spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, for all the cool gizmos and gadgets they use to make it and I'm just not ready to spend that kind of money on something that's just a hobby at the moment.

In College I was expected to spend a lot of time in the wood shop and metal shop to build models. This was the first time I had ever done anything like that in the wood shop and loved it!! The metal shop (not so much). I just wish I had all those cools tools now so I could continue making things. I sketched up a coffee table I would love to do. Sadly no tools.

Comment

Well we are both Canadian eh
              I love that you ended your sentence with the traditional "eh" which confirms your Canadianity! Whoo, I just made up a word!!

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                In College I was expected to spend a lot of time in the wood shop and metal shop to build models. This was the first time I had ever done anything like that in the wood shop and loved it!! The metal shop (not so much). I just wish I had all those cools tools now so I could continue making things. I sketched up a coffee table I would love to do. Sadly no tools.
                When I was a kid my dad was laid off work, and on his down time he built a pool table. Unfortuneately he bulit it so it can't fit through any doors, if they sell house I guess the pool table goes with it
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I love that you ended your sentence with the traditional "eh" which confirms your Canadianity! Whoo, I just made up a word!!
                  You must have a high IQ in the languages then
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                    I absolutely think that it depends upon the audience. The shippers vs non-shippers is the biggest rivalry in television - no matter what medium. I also think that sometimes interviewers are *only* interested in asking those types of questions and not any questions about the character of Sam itself. Sam Carter came onto the scene as Sam, not half of a couple. Along the way, they gave her a backstory - family, former fiance. A smart interviewer would ask all about Sam herself and perhaps not about the Sam/Jack story.

I am an unashamed Sam/Jack shipper. However, I never ever want to see a wedding on screen. Would I like to see a kiss between our Sam and Jack? Absolutely. And since we saw a morning after between Sam and Pete, I would like to get a glimpse, just a glimpse, of Sam and Jack. Otherwise, let's just see something like a shot of the inside of her locker - a picture of the two of them or his ball cap hanging on a hook.

Sam Carter is identifiable as Sam - scientist, soldier, hero - not just as half of a coupling. That's what we love about her in the first place.

Yeah I agree. I'm a shipper as well, but I love both characters (Sam and JAck) on their own. I would love a resolution after Threads, but not really a wedding. I agree with ChevronSeven I just want a glimpse of Jack and Sam in our time where they both remember. A kiss on screen and maybe subtle hints along the way.

Comment

Unfortunately, with anglophone Canadians I have absolutely no hope of distinguishing them from Americans (sorry people). One of the guys at uni insists it's easy, that all Canadians say things like aboot instead of about, and that MS does it. Well, I've never noticed MS do that. And to me, aboot sounds Scottish.

However, I can distinguish a francophone Canadian (Quebecois) from someone from l'Hexagonie (France) very easily.
                      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I remeber this obnoxious guy from high shcool who bragged that he had a genius IQ. He was in my history class and our teacher gave tests back in order of highest to lowest mark. Well whenever my friend and I beat him (which was often) the rest of the class would kinda cheer for us

I remember those types (even though I went to a Catholic H.S.), all bravdo, no substance.

ETA: My Father is full Italian, hence 12 yrs of a south-side Chicago Catholic education.

Comment

When I was a kid my dad was laid off work, and on his down time he built a pool table. Unfortuneately he bulit it so it can't fit through any doors, if they sell house I guess the pool table goes with it
                          oh no. Maybe they won't sell the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            Unfortunately, with anglophone Canadians I have absolutely no hope of distinguishing them from Americans (sorry people). One of the guys at uni insists it's easy, that all Canadians say things like aboot instead of about, and that MS does it. Well, I've never noticed MS do that. And to me, aboot sounds Scottish.

However, I can distinguish a francophone Canadian (Quebecois) from someone from l'Hexagonie (France) very easily.
                            to distinguishe between Americans and Canadians is easy, we spell differently. Americans: color, Canadians: colour.

And we only say aboot when we are looking for our other boot
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

to distinguishe between Americans and Canadians is easy, we spell differently. Americans: color, Canadians: colour.

And we only say aboot when we are looking for our other boot
                              I know that it written English you spell more like the British, I actually meant in oral form!!

It's pathetic really. I study accents and dialects, yet can't tell the difference between Canadian and American. Well, I guess I'm a French and German student, not studying the anglophone world.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                                I remember those types (even though I went to a Catholic H.S.), all bravdo, no substance.

ETA: My Father is full Italian, hence 12 yrs of a south-side Chicago Catholic education.
                                Oh I know how you feel, my father came over from Italy and my mom came over from Poland. (Talk about tempers) But I got out of going to Catholic school after grade school. (They were too mean)
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X