Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Qasim

well the bbc ran an iq test on tv a few years ago and I got a 100
    So I am average and going to be in one of these professions: Machine Operators; Shopkeepers; Butchers; Welders; Sheet Metal Workers; Warehousemen; Carpenters; Cooks and Bakers; Small Farmers; Truck and Van Drivers - not quite what I had planned [/QUOTE]

I'd love to be a carpenter.

I wanted to take woodwork in years 2 to 3 at secondary school but wasn't allowed because I was a girl. I had to do cooking and needlework

I'd swap accountancy for joinery any day!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
      Well at a convention I'm sure she's clowning around a lot to entertain the crowd. I'm sure she did the dog tag thing to get a reaction from the audience. I'm not a S/J shipper (no, really? you say ) but even *I* thought that was great when I read about it.

Amanda can work the crowd like no one else I have ever seen. She's a very intelligent lass and total entertainment. She clowned around big style not in an overdone/OTT way but in a way that made the whole event fun. After all life's just too short to be too serious eh!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

I wanted to take woodwork in years 2 to 3 at secondary school but wasn't allowed because I was a girl. I had to do cooking and needlework

LOL

*makes grab for Coley's job*

gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
          well the bbc ran an iq test on tv a few years ago and I got a 100
          So I am average and going to be in one of these professions: Machine Operators; Shopkeepers; Butchers; Welders; Sheet Metal Workers; Warehousemen; Carpenters; Cooks and Bakers; Small Farmers; Truck and Van Drivers - not quite what I had planned
          It's just a number. And it only measures one kind of intelligence. When it all comes down to it, there's more involved, including your personality and your interests. I don't think people should be pegged into a certain category, just because of a number. Instead they should be allowed to experiment and find what fits them the best.

Although I'm sure that Sam is off the charts as far as IQ test go, probably a member of Mensa. But then this is TV we're talking about, not real life. At least I don't think it is.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
            It's just a number. And it only measures one kind of intelligence. When it all comes down to it, there's more involved, including your personality and your interests. I don't think people should be pegged into a certain category, just because of a number. Instead they should be allowed to experiment and find what fits them the best.

Although I'm sure that Sam is off the charts as far as IQ test go, probably a member of Mensa. But then this is TV we're talking about, not real life. At least I don't think it is.
            Unless it's like Wormhole Xtreme... they hit the nail on the head and the Air Force let it run so it would provide a good cover up story.....

As for groups, I got the above average one on that, the teacher one, which I thought was quite apt for me.
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by KatG

teh last iq type test i saw tends to measure logic skills. which really don't hold much water to real life survival skills.

i played around wtih a mensa test book and those were all logic puzzles. well, sussing out which shape would be next in sequence isn't quite a necessary everyday skill.

i mean, i work with guys that build roads and bridges for a living....and who can't bring up a power point presentation or figure out how to turn a mic on.

intelligence is relative
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                teh last iq type test i saw tends to measure logic skills. which really don't hold much water to real life survival skills.

i played around wtih a mensa test book and those were all logic puzzles. well, sussing out which shape would be next in sequence isn't quite a necessary everyday skill.

i mean, i work with guys that build roads and bridges for a living....and who can't bring up a power point presentation or figure out how to turn a mic on.

intelligence is relative
                I agree, I think the best test of intelligence is how much common sense a person has. Believe me I have seen enough people who are lacking it, and believe it is sad.
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                  I don't know, I always thought if Sam got married she would keep her maiden name. After all Sam Carter worked to build up her name and reputation, changing it to O'Neill would take away from that. But that's just MHO
                  I agree, but I also think that in some ways she is very traditional. That's why I think she'd probably use Lt Colonel Samantha Carter O'Neill in formal situations, and just use Sam Carter everyday and Dr Samantha Carter when publishing.

Comment

LOL, so would I! My dad was a carpenter by avocation and some of my happiest memories are of helping him with his projects. Holding the wood steady for the saw, the smell of sawdust, the feel of the grain of wood before and after planing it ... mitering edges so they made a perfect fit!

Now about those floating IQ numbers and all you guys trying to fit yourselves into the correctly-numbered box! My warning as a college advisor and teacher: DON'T GO BY THE NUMBERS!! This is OT, but too many students have been discouraged and discounted by what one little number has implied. IQ tests are designed to reflect logic and math proficiencies and the testing instruments themselves are not without criticism.

There are multiple kinds of intelligences! Google Howard Gardner's Frames of Mind and take a peek! We are all so wonderfully unique and "smart" in our own ways! Gardner is a well respected professor who suggests that we all operate from our own frame of knowing/internal language and ability. He claims that how we learn and how we behave can be broken down into seven distinct intelligences: linguistic, musical, logical-mathematical, spatial, body-kinesthetic, intrapersonal (insight, intuition) and interpersonal (social skills).

Some of the so-called "geniuses" in the realm of high IQ may be very deficient in other forms of intelligence. Case in point: Rodney McKay ... more than likely over 140/150 in the standard testing, but totally a washout in interpersonal intelligence. As Sam reminds him in GUP!!

So, good Samandans, know that, if you can climb mountains or dance well, you have been blessed with body-kinesthetic intelligence; if you are a good debater and have many friends, you are high on linguistic and interpersonal intelligence; and, wow, Sam Carter? She'd be high in logic-math, spatial, intrapersonal (science is an art as well as a science), and interpersonal intelligences, at the least.

I just don't want any of you to see yourselves as a hard cold IQ number! You all have your own style of learning and your own talents!

Peace, CG

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                      *anti-die device finally kicks in*well the bbc ran an iq test on tv a few years ago and I got a 100
                      So I am average and going to be in one of these professions: Machine Operators; Shopkeepers; Butchers; Welders; Sheet Metal Workers; Warehousemen; Carpenters; Cooks and Bakers; Small Farmers; Truck and Van Drivers - not quite what I had planned
                      Yeah, I took a IQ test years ago and I guess if I go by my non-official title of Domestic Engineer I suppose I'm living up to the so-called test standards. ROFLMAO.

Comment

Me too...I think being a carpenter would be cool. I love watching all the home shows that teach you how to do all the woodwork. Sadly, you typically need to spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, for all the cool gizmos and gadgets they use to make it and I'm just not ready to spend that kind of money on something that's just a hobby at the moment.

Comment

yeah, my mom does carpentry as a hobby, it amazing how much everything costs
                          sigpic
                          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                          Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Ooober recommended this fic to me, Myrth recommended it to her. It's really amazing. They passed it on via MSN, but a friend of mine managed to find a link to it.

It's a bit of a whopper: 209 pages long, but it's amazing. It's set in an AU where Charlie survived, Sara died and Jack can't stand Sam.

I was in floods of tears at certain points. Yes, it is slightly shippy, but it's quite Sam heavy. I really recommend it.

The Choices We Make

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

Now about those floating IQ numbers and all you guys trying to fit yourselves into the correctly-numbered box! My warning as a college advisor and teacher: DON'T GO BY THE NUMBERS!! This is OT, but too many students have been discouraged and discounted by what one little number has implied. IQ tests are designed to reflect logic and math proficiencies and the testing instruments themselves are not without criticism.

There are multiple kinds of intelligences! Google Howard Gardner's Frames of Mind and take a peek! We are all so wonderfully unique and "smart" in our own ways! Gardner is a well respected professor who suggests that we all operate from our own frame of knowing/internal language and ability. He claims that how we learn and how we behave can be broken down into seven distinct intelligences: linguistic, musical, logical-mathematical, spatial, body-kinesthetic, intrapersonal (insight, intuition) and interpersonal (social skills).
                              May I go OT and add my own warning to this?

IQ scores are not the only, nor most important, way of measuring intelligence. And the pigeonholing that comes from them can often be quite detrimental. I work in the field of MR/DD (mental retardation and developmental disabilities) and have seen people turned away for services because their IQ score is 'too high'. As if someone with a 71 IQ needs less assistance than someone whose IQ is 70.

Add to that a warning that Online IQ tests are notoriously unreliable, and often bolstered for whatever reasons. (Most likely, in my experience, to get you to buy their 'full IQ report. Those are the ones that I've seen give the most over-inflated scores.) I've scored anywhere from 125 to 165 on online tests, which shows 1) that online tests are not true measures of IQ, and 2) No test really is. Whose to say I wasn't sick, or distracted, or just tired when I scored on the lower end? As to those scores in the 150-165 range, I still maintain they were trying to get me to buy their report.

(I take a lot of online tests, I find test-taking relaxing. Yes, I'm odd.)

Comment

I remember taking "The Offical" test as a kid. My score was 125. I've never lived up to that potential.

Comment

Working...
                                X