No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Solitudes again for the umpteenth time last night. I really like this ep.

The show is totally focused on the Stargate and travelling through it in season 1. I'm missing that in the current season. The Stargte is what makes the show so unique and cool in my opinion. Spaceships are so old hat!! Having said that I do like them coming into the plot now and again.

I would love the writers to develop and arc of episodes that focus once more on the stargate - perhaps another malfunction stranding the team offworld. I think there is still a way to go in developing storylines. It doesn't have to be all enemy focused. Lets have some creative writing injected in now and again. Some adventure/angst about the team being stranded lost and having to work the stargate system to get home. It would be a great way to make the team gel as well - a few eps totally concentrating on them.

Anyways I loved solitudes. I loved the way both Teal'c and Daniel struggled in their own ways to find Carter and O'Neill. One of my fave clips was Teal'c coming back through the stargate with the injured soldier wrapped round his shoulders - and telling Hammond (ahhh I so miss Hammond) he was ready to go again.

Amanda portrayed some wonderful expressions - despair, guilt, worry, determination, sadness etc.

I just loved that they got her climbing up out of the crevasse - although I would have preferred the director's to use their noddles a bit more. Sam would have used her and O'Neills combat knives in each hand to dig into the ice and pull up on. I think Amanda was just awesome to do those scenes and I bet the producers realised in season 1 that they had struck gold casting Amanda. She is such an inspiration - ready to try anything physical and as Strix was questioning earlier on, you can see Amanda seeping into Sam right there in front of your eyes. There is no doubt in my mind Amanda has made Sam what she is. I doubt if anyone else could have given Sam the believability of being an intelligent, compassionate scientist and totally capable soldier.

Amanda is such an awesome role model. Women can do!!!

Comment

did you find out what if anything happened Sal?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
        I guess I have to rewatch the movie, I can't remember Grace but I do remember the blind girl.

***SPOILERS FOR THE VOID*******

I rewatched the Void (after a couple of years) on Friday when off sick from work. There wasn't a sister in it, just her blind friend. There were other women in it but no one in a very prominent role that I can remember.

Watching it made me remember how Amanda outperformed everyone in it. Personally I found the other actors' performances wooden whereas she (as usual) threw everything into the role. It's always nice to see her in something else for a change. Even though she played a scientist the role was very different to Sam Carter, especially in the emotional reactions to finding a dead body and being hunted down by a killer etc. Although to an extent she had what would be similar to Sam's resolve to achieve her aim, she didn't have her toughness, which comes from the military aspect of the character. Although she toughened up a little (because she had to) she always stayed true to the fact that she was an ordinary person with no training pushed into an extraordinary position, and her reactions stayed true to that.

Just my musings over lemsip and a tissue box.

Julia
        To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR

I rewatched the Void (after a couple of years) on Friday when off sick from work. There wasn't a sister in it, just her blind friend. There were other women in it but no one in a very prominent role that I can remember.

Watching it made me remember how Amanda outperformed everyone in it. Personally I found the other actors' performances wooden whereas she (as usual) threw everything into the role. It's always nice to see her in something else for a change. Even though she played a scientist the role was very different to Sam Carter, especially in the emotional reactions to finding a dead body and being hunted down by a killer etc. Although to an extent she had what would be similar to Sam's resolve to achieve her aim, she didn't have her toughness, which comes from the military aspect of the character. Although she toughened up a little (because she had to) she always stayed true to the fact that she was an ordinary person with no training pushed into an extraordinary position, and her reactions stayed true to that.

Julia
          Hi Julia, hope you feel better soon! Yes, the movie itself was sub-standard but Amanda's performance was A plus! I did enjoy the romance - I thought she played those scenes with Adrian Paul quite well and it was so much fun to see her in that kind of role, more vulnerable than Sam.

Would love to see her on the big screen one day in a first-rate Hollywood or Indie production! I still think of her as Canada's or Stargate's hidden treasure!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
            I watched Solitudes again for the umpteenth time last night. I really like this ep.

The show is totally focused on the Stargate and travelling through it in season 1. I'm missing that in the current season. The Stargte is what makes the show so unique and cool in my opinion. Spaceships are so old hat!! Having said that I do like them coming into the plot now and again.

I would love the writers to develop and arc of episodes that focus once more on the stargate - perhaps another malfunction stranding the team offworld. I think there is still a way to go in developing storylines. It doesn't have to be all enemy focused. Lets have some creative writing injected in now and again. Some adventure/angst about the team being stranded lost and having to work the stargate system to get home. It would be a great way to make the team gel as well - a few eps totally concentrating on them.

Anyways I loved solitudes. I loved the way both Teal'c and Daniel struggled in their own ways to find Carter and O'Neill. One of my fave clips was Teal'c coming back through the stargate with the injured soldier wrapped round his shoulders - and telling Hammond (ahhh I so miss Hammond) he was ready to go again.

Amanda portrayed some wonderful expressions - despair, guilt, worry, determination, sadness etc.

I just loved that they got her climbing up out of the crevasse - although I would have preferred the director's to use their noddles a bit more. Sam would have used her and O'Neills combat knives in each hand to dig into the ice and pull up on. I think Amanda was just awesome to do those scenes and I bet the producers realised in season 1 that they had struck gold casting Amanda. She is such an inspiration - ready to try anything physical and as Strix was questioning earlier on, you can see Amanda seeping into Sam right there in front of your eyes. There is no doubt in my mind Amanda has made Sam what she is. I doubt if anyone else could have given Sam the believability of being an intelligent, compassionate scientist and totally capable soldier.

Amanda is such an awesome role model. Women can do!!!
            Well said, Coley! Great post, reminding us of something that's been missing - the team and what they mean to each other. We may get some of that "stranded off-world together" in next week's episode from what the previews are saying. And this week's Ethon had a good team feel to it too.
            Spoiler:
            Daniel's despair in the prison cell was heartfelt just as Teal'c's relief in seeing Sam return.
            So there's hope!

Amanda was so inspiring in Solitudes because there she was, a young actor, doing most of her stunts and enduring the below-freezing discomfort of the set. She has the spunk and spirit to throw herself into whatever she's doing and it shows! No prima-donna mentality and that makes her even more endearing. She and RDA were excellent in this episode ... so believable and such fine acting from both!

Let me share a couple more excerpts from Stepping Through The Stargate, edited by P.N. Elrod and Roxanne Conrad:

"Stargate technology is the ultimate stage of space transportation envisioned in the SF universe. No longer do we have to waste precious story time getting to places of interest - we arrive in an instant. We can concentrate on telling intriguing and mysterious stories about alien civilizations and artifacts. We can even explore distant galaxies with no more effort than adding an eighth or ninth chevron to our addressing. Stargate is, in many ways, the end of the line in science fiction writing. The new 'final frontier' is no longer space and our laborious travels through it in clumsy spaceships. We can now contemplate new worlds in distant galaxies or even other universes ...."

And this, "Each time SG-1 passes through the Stargate we see the four team members working together as equals, respecting each other's unique role and contributions to the mission ... Carter is the quintessential problem-solver whether it be in the arena of microbiology, astrophysics, medicine or tinkering with a time dilator. She is a combat warrior, a quick thinker, a doer, a person who can analyze deep space radar telemetry (Secrets) or provide motherly comfort and save a child (Singularity)."

The best of Stargate! Let's keep looking for these kinds of episodes!
            Last edited by ChopinGal; 05 February 2006, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR

Julia
              I agree with you whole heartedly Julia, eventhough she was playing an astrophysicist again, she was not playing Sam. You could tell the differences between the characters. It wasn't oh she's playing that character again, it will be the same as on Stargate. Eventhough the movie may have been a B movie, Amanda's performance was A+

For those of you who may have wondered, a body double was used for the brief nude scene.(although she did have a mole )

Here's an Amanda Alert for our Canadians on line. Tonight at 7:00 est Amanda's movie The Silken Lauman Story will be on Showcase for those who get the channel Yea something other than football to watch tonight
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Congrats Sally on hitting the big number.

As for me... I don't need an escape from football!! Hehehe!
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian
                  About the team dynamic. You have to remember that there's a new character in the team. It changes things. Ok, it shouldn't have changed things between Sam, Daniel and T, but the new guy is not. It takes time to create that kind of feelings between two and more people. TPTB couldn't have created the same dynamic between the old and the new team. It would have been unrealistic.

Haven't seen Ethon yet, so I can't comment on it ... yet

Oh, and we also had rain today upper up north in Canada. Crazy winter here, let me tell ya. Doesn't feel like February at all. Good for the electric bill though
                  I can't speak for everyone, but I know I don't want TPTB to have created Mitchell with the same dynamic as the rest of the team has. But I think that's sort-of, what they've been trying to do.

I would rather have seen them build Mitchell's characterization and relationships evenly over the course of the last 15 episodes. I would have liked to have seen him building those bonds of trust with the team. I would, in short, like to have seen the Cam-character-moments have been with the team, instead of off on his own.

It's been a weird winter here in northern Ohio too. Very unseasonably warm. And yet, my gas bill was still 200$ last month. Oi.

Comment

Guys, I've just been catching up on the Gateworld headlines and have had an interesting thought. Could Shanks' time off give us more room for Sam orientated storylines, do you think? Or will it just be an opportunity to parade the new girl?

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                      Guys, I've just been catching up on the Gateworld headlines and have had an interesting thought. Could Shanks' time off give us more room for Sam orientated storylines, do you think? Or will it just be an opportunity to parade the new girl?
                      I certainly hope they won't parade the new girl, for one, but with how things have gone, there's part of me that thinks they will.

This post is serving a dual purpose...I'm responding to the question and I finished my first piece of fanfiction the other night. I really didn't like the ending of Ethon with Cam/Daniel, so I took my computer to it. Toasting Friends Contains spoilers for 'Ethon' so be warned!

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
                      My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
                      My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
                      My Stargate Videos
                      It's meant to be!

Comment

Are any of you LiveJournal users? If so I just saw a great bunch of Sam icons you might want to have a look at and/or use. Sam Pretties

I snagged quite a few for my own journal.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                          Are any of you LiveJournal users? If so I just saw a great bunch of Sam icons you might want to have a look at and/or use. Sam Pretties

Hey, thanks Deejay. I only have one icon, which I use to death. But thanks.

Comment

Some nice stuff there - I particularly like:

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            Hey, thanks Deejay. I only have one icon, which I use to death. But thanks.
                            Me too - sueKay has put some really nice ones up recently
                            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

Wow, those are really beautiful. I love looking at all the Sam icons out there. Too bad I really don't have a use for them. Not like I'll ever get to use one on GW anytime soon.

Keep posting all the pretties!

*Kat really wishes she had some of the creativity these people seem to have*bangs head on desk*

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                                Or pretty cool, depending on one's, er, outlook. (Says the woman who esteems those little commuter prop jobs far beyond any passenger jet (though Dash 8's are worthy of something of an honorable mention ) solely for the incredible acceleration that any cowbow of a pilot can produce with them. :dreamy smile

One suspects that if it were a sonic boom, either some jet jockey's self-beloved butt is gonna get blistered, or there's something... interesting... afoot. They're not allowed to go supersonic over populated areas of the continental US without permission or immediate military cause, and doing it in the Terminal Control Area of a major airport like LAX without that permission or cause would get the pilot in truly major trouble.
                                yeah. i live in a capitol city and someon went boom over us last year, so i knomw someone got thier tushes creamed. they cn't go sonic over cities, especially 'important' cities like capitols and the such

it's kinda cool if you know what it is, just a boom, kinda like a thunder boom but it doesn't really echo like thunder does
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X