No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw this pic and just thought So this is what Shroedinger does when Sam's away
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
      sailing an ~12m sloop from Egypt to Norfolk solo
      As in Egypt, Egypt... and Norfolk... as in USA? Cool!

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
        Thanks for agreeing about Dr. Lee. but Zelenka is adorable!!!!!
        Zelenka is kinda cute, but so is Dr. Lee, in that odd way.

And I can't believe Sunny, Kat and tsax are all going to Vancouver this March! Whoo hoo! That's gonna be a blast. You know that's only about a month and a half away, right?

/me so jealous

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          I stand corrected! Stormchasing and Spelunking I'd argue fall in with the science. But I'll definitely give you rollerblading, rapelling and skydiving! My humble apologies, Simha. I guess a lot of scientists really are adrenaline junkies after all.
          Well, I know quite a few female scientists (my mother included), and none of them are adrenaline junkies. Maybe physics attracts the adrenaline junkies, though. I dated a physics major for a while, and he was slightly insane and rode a motorcycle... Wonderful harpist, too. I think it is more likely that it is probably difficult to pigeon-hole female scientists into a single personality type.

I always thought Sam's adrenaline junky streak arose more from her desire to prove herself and push herself than from a need for the adrenaline rush itself. I still have issues with the whole motorcycle/Volvo thing...

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux

That'll just make me want to hug you all the more. Cause I'm just that evil.

I know you, me and tsaxlady are all attending the Vancouver con from this lovely group, who else is going?

So, is it March yet?
            I was going, but now, I don't know.
            On fighting:
            Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
            Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
              I still have issues with the whole motorcycle/Volvo thing...
              What's under the hood of a vintage Volvo in that particular model? That might explain it.

EDIT-> Yup, that's what I thought.
              Originally posted by http://www.vclassics.com/hiperf1.htm
              It quickly became apparent from racing successes that with the right modifications vintage Volvos could be impressive on the street as well. In the early '90s we began offering a small number of performance parts for street use based on our racing developments, thus the name of the company: Vintage Performance Developments. While we felt the 1800 was close to its performance potential on the race track and the racecar would in fact make a great street car, Volvo owners interested in street performance were often disappointed with what they could achieve on the street without unacceptable compromises and/or cost. At some point the idea hit to build a street 1800 that would both be a comfortable daily driver and would have performance similar to my racecar. This would require at least 180 HP with a broad power band and handling to match. This idea has now evolved into an a car with a modern, high tech supercharger. The development and testing of this car will be described in a future article on what will hopefully become the "ultimate vintage Volvo." Besides building one for myself, our plans are to offer supercharger kits for vintage Volvos, assuming successful reliability and performance tests on the prototype, and the expression of sufficient interest.

My racing 1800, with approximately 200 HP pushing 2100 lbs., is a perfectly marvelous sports car. It has achieved over 140 MPH at Road Atlanta at 8000 RPM in 4th gear. In vintage racing it will run with the best. I've even raced it against contemporary cars with success, and have second and third place finishes in the Eastern Motor Racing Association's "Big Bore Class" against current Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Mazdas, Porsches, etc., driven by drivers who were born long after 1800 production ended. It is an easy car to drive, it idles at 1300 RPM, has good torque and a fairly wide power band. With this point of reference, I have dreamed for years of putting an 1800 on the street with similar performance characteristics. (Unfortunately, there is no way to get 200 HP out of a normally-aspirated B20 on street gas -- the race car runs at least 108 octane leaded racing gas with a CR of over 13.5:1. It gets between four and five miles per gallon.) Thus, we began exploring alternative ways to achieve similar performance.

In the next installment, we will discuss choosing supercharging instead of turbocharging or an engine swap, will get into the details of supercharging the B18/B20, and cover other aspects of the "ultimate vintage Volvo" project. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me...

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I still have issues with the whole motorcycle/Volvo thing...
                How so?

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  I believe the best way to describe Sam's interest in McKay is ... Sam tolerates McKay. He flusters Sam, which is good thing. He tends to throw her off-center and makes her really work for his praise. I think she's been around so many people that tend to be in awe of her intelligence and abilities that she needs to occassionally be brought back down to Earth. It keeps her humble to work with men and women who are her intellectual equals and who don't worship the ground she walks on, at least not publically. It's one of the reasons I enjoy seeing Sam work with McKay and Lee. They may or may not find her attractive, but they always keep her on her toes and hide any feelings they may have with snarky, often snide comments.
                  Remember in "The Sentinel" where the rogue colonel says something like "I don't care how good Carter thinks she is...we were just as good."? My first reaction was to say--"in your dreams buddy!" But then again, as brilliant as Sam is, she can't be a one woman band. I think you're right, ForeverSg1, she needs to have a little competetion now and then. Of course, she really *is* the smartest, but still.

Comment

There's a very well written review of GUP on the GW homepage. The breakdown and analysis are quite sharp.

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2/reviews/214.shtml

minigeek
                    (I disagree with a great deal of it where the writing of the episode is concerned, but the review itself is very well articulated!)

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                      Agreed. I don't think she'd admit to liking him. I think she grudgingly respects him, and (at times) she almost sympathises with him, but then he does something totally RODNEY-LIKE and she'll remember quickly why she'd rather be just about anywhere else he isn't. They're very adversarial, and I think she finds him distasteful on a personal level because he's so gauche in his interpersonal skills. I don't know any woman who really responds well to being so overtly hit-on in a fairly disrespectful way, either. Seems like every time they meet Rodney makes a crude comment about his attraction to her, and/or what he's been thinking about in relation to her (personally). That'd turn off anyone.
                      Respecting his skills and respecting him as a scientist, I tihnk she'd probably admit. (Even if she would never go as far as to respect his skills as much as Rodney thinks he deserves.) But respecting him as a person? I don't think so, I think Rodney has a way to go in this area before he ears her respect. I think Sam, with her caring and compassionate side would find it hard to respect someone who sees other people as either in the way, or a something to be trod over to get to whatever end he sees as necessary.

Plus, as you say, the most inappropriate ways he has of expressing desire and interest. I'd be tempted to pour a glass of lemonade on him, myself.

It does make for great viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                        How so?
                        Volvos are traditionally known for their safety features; motorcycles are traditionally known for killing people.

My LJ

Comment

Volvos are traditionally known for their safety features; motorcycles are traditionally known for killing people.
                          Having worked in a an ER, I've seen both...death from auto accidents involving Volvos and deaths from motorcycles, however, when people wore helmets while riding motorcycles, the death and serious injury rate went way down. NO car is truly safe, if the driver is drunk or just plain stupid and reckless. Sorry, but try telling a parent their 16yo is dead..........
                          On fighting:
                          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

OT: traditionally is the word in my Marketing lecture on Monday the guy was saying that they used to push the safety aspect as they didnt used to have many other good points and that things have changed over recent years

gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

Gotcha. It all makes sense now. There's a reason the motor cycle riding is forboden for them all.

Comment

OK, I just took the Personality Test a couple of times so I could cover all the possible answers, and both times it told me...

Hmm, now why do I find that strangely cool...

Comment

Working...
                                X