Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deejay435
    Thank you.

And yes, maybe she does. I have to admit that I, personally, adore Rodney. He's the reason I watch Atlantis. And that's despite the fact that, were I in Sam's shoes, I doubt I would have come quite as far in forgiving him as she seems to have.
    I feel the same. It's not even so much that he's completely unafraid to voice his opinion as it is that he's soo arrogant, he simply can't stop himself from telling everyone exactly what he thinks about everything. I love that.

I read a LJ essay someone wrote about Sam, and the thrill-seeking side of her personality. (Most clearly shown in Space Race.) And it posited that Sam's attraction to the lunatic fringe was an aspect of this side of her, because relationships with the crazier person get the adrenaline going. An interesting thought.
    That is a very interesting idea. I think Sam's thrill-seeking side definitely would play a part in her being attracted to more "dangerous" romantic partners. You don't find a great many thrill-seeking scientists in the world, either (thrill-seeking outside of their scientific area of interest, that is), so it's an interesting character choice to have enmeshed with her persona, too.

It's certain that dealing with Rodney McKay will never be easy, will always be a challenge. (Just keeping one's self from strangling him ten times a day would be a challenge.) And maybe she likes that dance. I'm just not entirely convinced that she likes him, yet.
    Agreed. I don't think she'd admit to liking him. I think she grudgingly respects him, and (at times) she almost sympathises with him, but then he does something totally RODNEY-LIKE and she'll remember quickly why she'd rather be just about anywhere else he isn't. They're very adversarial, and I think she finds him distasteful on a personal level because he's so gauche in his interpersonal skills. I don't know any woman who really responds well to being so overtly hit-on in a fairly disrespectful way, either. Seems like every time they meet Rodney makes a crude comment about his attraction to her, and/or what he's been thinking about in relation to her (personally). That'd turn off anyone.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      Hey minigeek, what station are you watching it on? I'm in Canada, but I don't have the shows ahead of SciFi
      I watch it "uncut and commercial-free in HD" (yeah that's an ad lol) - on THE MOVIE NETWORK (aka TMN). It airs in 720p (or 1080i if you've got it) just exactly the way it looks once the DVD version comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
        The ratings are out for Stronghold and GUP:
        http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...uary27ra.shtml

Atlantis beat SG-1 in the first showing... Does anyone think that shows AT has ratings power? Or is it wishful thinking on my part? SG-1fanintn?
        Thought the same thing, myself. But that doesn't mean it's not wishful thinking on both our parts.

Personally, I think it's mighty telling, but we can hold off on that until we see this week's ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          He tends to throw her off-center and makes her really work for his praise.
          I don't think she cares what he thinks about her. Or that's what I hope, anyway.

Regarding Lee, he still needs a beating for his insolence in "Paradise Lost".

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
            I don't think she cares what he thinks about her. Or that's what I hope, anyway.

Aw, come on, Lee has taken a taken a backseast to Sam for years......and considering his lack of assests, except for his brain, let's be nice, OK? We all know who is the brainiac.....and sadly, so does he. If you were Lee, wouldn't you get just a bit ticked every once in awhile? Now, be honest......
            On fighting:
            Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
            Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

I can see Lee's point. But I can also see Sam's point. To her, if they didn't find Jack that was leaving a man behind and you just don't do that. Jack's also her friend. My shipper part also thought she missed him in a totally different way I give Sam the credit for taking charge and not wanting to go until they found him.
              sigpic

Comment

It's funny how there are different views on this issue between Lee and Sam. I mean, obviously Sam was in charge, and Lee upended the chain of command by going over her head, iirc. And then Sam lost control for a moment and got emotional (something she'd never really done before). To me, it seems like Sam was ticked at herself for losing it - even for a brief moment. The half-look she gave Teal'c, and his own meaningful glance is very telling.

And, in regards to Lee's beating, I think he had all he's ever gonna get in Evolution. His character is meant to be a scientific support for Carter, like Rothman was meant to be an archaeological support for Daniel, and Zelenka, though given much for screen time and development, is meant to be support for Rodney. Those kinds of characters will never be on par with the biggies.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                  That is a very interesting idea. I think Sam's thrill-seeking side definitely would play a part in her being attracted to more "dangerous" romantic partners. You don't find a great many thrill-seeking scientists in the world, either (thrill-seeking outside of their scientific area of interest, that is), so it's an interesting character choice to have enmeshed with her persona, too.
                  Er... Just as someone with a degree in physics, I've seen plenty of thrill-seeking scientists: riding motor cycles, sky diving - flying, period :whistles innocently while thinking of doing rolls in open cockpit Stearman byplane on very first time in an airplane ever: , storm-chasing, caving, rollerblading down the middle of a street with a 30+ degree slope while cars dodged away on either side, playing laser-tag :more innocent whistling:, downhill skiing, fencing, hunting big game, playing paintball shooting games of various ilk :still more innocent whistling:, sailing an ~12m sloop from Egypt to Norfolk solo, driving more than a bit too fast :lots of innocent whistling:, climbing rock faces and rapelling down cliffs, running out of the lab in a cheering pack to dump a gallon of liquid nitrogen down the corridor and watch the dust roll away like the foam on the ghost of wave and the approaching pedestrians go scurrying back the other way just as the wave... vanishes, jumping up and down hands in the air and screaming in delight like perfect maniacs while watching a Saturn V come off the launch pad live and in person...

I've always thought that aspect of Sam's character fit very well with the scientists with whom I studied and the ones I know now. One day in our 300 level lab, we had a discussion about the Thunderbirds performing at a nearby airshow and it turned out that every physics major in the lab harbored a strong desire to go up in an F-16 and do aerobatics. A couple of us, me included, had actually wanted to be Air Force fighter pilots (uncorrectable near-sightedness, unfortunately and I, for one, am still quite annoyed about never being able to so much as try because of my eyesight, even all these years later ). In later discussions, we were all very jealous of an artist one of us had seen, who creates unique, large-scale repousee work in sheet copper by application of surplus military C4 - blowing up things and getting praise for the results... Mmm, sounds good... thought we.

So I can really see Sam having that need for speed, that zest for blowing things up, and that soul deep satisfaction that comes from working, and playing, with the forces and laws that govern the behavior of the whole universe. It's another means by which a scientist expresses their fascination with universe and how it all works - and it's real fun.

One just doesn't get the alumni funding committee, the local constabulary, or the general public to look on you as a worthy, respectable, responsible, intelligent scientist by making a spectacle of yourself channeling Mario Andretti, Chuck Yeager, Verner von Braun, or Wile E. Coyote. So I think that ones that are inclined to adrenalin induction do it quietly after hours and out of sight, in most cases.
                  ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Guess no one agrees with me about Lee....so any other suggestions for a suitable punishement? Beating is just so mundane.....
                    On fighting:

Comment

I stand corrected! Stormchasing and Spelunking I'd argue fall in with the science. But I'll definitely give you rollerblading, rapelling and skydiving! My humble apologies, Simha. I guess a lot of scientists really are adrenaline junkies after all.

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                      Er... Just as someone with a degree in physics, I've seen plenty of thrill-seeking scientists: riding motor cycles, sky diving - flying, period :whistles innocently while thinking of doing rolls in open cockpit Stearman byplane on very first time in an airplane ever: , storm-chasing, caving, rollerblading down the middle of a street with a 30+ degree slope while cars dodged away on either side, playing laser-tag :more innocent whistling:, downhill skiing, fencing, hunting big game, playing paintball shooting games of various ilk :still more innocent whistling:, sailing an ~12m sloop from Egypt to Norfolk solo, driving more than a bit too fast :lots of innocent whistling:, climbing rock faces and rapelling down cliffs, running out of the lab in a cheering pack to dump a gallon of liquid nitrogen down the corridor and watch the dust roll away like the foam on the ghost of wave and the approaching pedestrians go scurrying back the other way just as the wave... vanishes, jumping up and down hands in the air and screaming in delight like perfect maniacs while watching a Saturn V come off the launch pad live and in person...

I've always thought that aspect of Sam's character fit very well with the scientists with whom I studied and the ones I know now. One day in our 300 level lab, we had a discussion about the Thunderbirds performing at a nearby airshow and it turned out that every physics major in the lab harbored a strong desire to go up in an F-16 and do aerobatics. A couple of us, me included, had actually wanted to be Air Force fighter pilots (uncorrectable near-sightedness, unfortunately and I, for one, am still quite annoyed about never being able to so much as try because of my eyesight, even all these years later ). In later discussions, we were all very jealous of an artist one of us had seen, who creates unique, large-scale repousee work in sheet copper by application of surplus military C4 - blowing up things and getting praise for the results... Mmm, sounds good... thought we.

So I can really see Sam having that need for speed, that zest for blowing things up, and that soul deep satisfaction that comes from working, and playing, with the forces and laws that govern the behavior of the whole universe. It's another means by which a scientist expresses their fascination with universe and how it all works - and it's real fun.

One just doesn't get the alumni funding committee, the local constabulary, or the general public to look on you as a worthy, respectable, responsible, intelligent scientist by making a spectacle of yourself channeling Mario Andretti, Chuck Yeager, Verner von Braun, or Wile E. Coyote. So I think that ones that are inclined to adrenalin induction do it quietly after hours and out of sight, in most cases.

Comment

Sim... Are you absolutely sure they didn't base the character of Sam off of you?

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                          I can see Lee's point.
                          Regardless of whether Lee had a point, he was grossly insubordinate.

He should have been shipped off to Shemya Island or other hospitable location. Heck, they did it to McKay!

Comment

Regardless of whether Lee had a point, he was grossly insubordinate.

He should have been shipped off to Shemya Island or other hospitable location. Heck, they did it to McKay!
                            Awww, Dr. Lee's not so bad. He has an odd way of compromising priorities sometimes (a person's life over saving Ancient tech), but all in all he's got a good heart. And when you get right down to it, he's a good character to have. You can't always have the beautiful, talented and heroic SG-1 saving the day on their own. Sometimes - again, like Zelenka - you've gotta have the scaredy cats, the underdogs.

Maybe the next spinoff should star Zelenka and Lee, along with a dozen Red Shirts and SGC scientists.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              Awww, Dr. Lee's not so bad. He has an odd way of compromising priorities sometimes (a person's life over saving Ancient tech), but all in all he's got a good heart. And when you get right down to it, he's a good character to have. You can't always have the beautiful, talented and heroic SG-1 saving the day on their own. Sometimes - again, like Zelenka - you've gotta have the scaredy cats, the underdogs.

Maybe the next spinoff should star Zelenka and Lee, along with a dozen Red Shirts and SGC scientists.

Thanks for agreeing about Dr. Lee. but Zelenka is adorable!!!!!
                              On fighting:

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                ROFL... as long as noone gets offended when I start to squirm a bit, I'm ok with it.

That'll just make me want to hug you all the more. Cause I'm just that evil.

I know you, me and tsaxlady are all attending the Vancouver con from this lovely group, who else is going?

So, is it March yet?
                                sigpic
                                I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X