No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me, when it comes to the characters and the roles they play, (especially in this thread where we relate most of those relationships to Sam's character), there's really no harm in being honest about the way we're thinking or feeling.

So long as we remember that there are real people involved at both ends. This is just a discussion, at the end of the day, and there's a difference between cruel cattiness and critical debate about an artistic outlet.

I don't think we can truly liken this thread to much more than it is - a fan discussion forum. Most of this thread's participants don't say anything here we wouldn't say to eachother's faces in reality; we're respectful of one another's feelings.

Amanda (I'm sure) has her own feelings with respect to what she feel works and doesn't work artistically with SG-1 right now; be that as it may, it's probably not her very favorite topic for casual discussion - the way it is ours.

Upon a first encounter, I don't think anyone would rush up to an artist in the street and start prattling off a negative diatribe (unless that somebody was a little, shall we say, 'wacko'). But, if one of us spent a great deal of time with said artist, for whatever reason, critical topics might well come up at some point.

We're here to celebrate a fantastic science fiction character; to discuss that character in context with the storylines and the other characters she interacts with. There's no harm in that. Not all of it can be glowingly effusive, but that doesn't mean it has to be disrespectful or rude, either. If you ask me, I think we manage the balance here rather well.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

*throws self on floor and proceeds to pitch a temper tantrum*

I can't get that SG personality quiz to work. Guess that means I'm like no one.
      sigpic
      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

what's going on on this thread is the same thing going on on the shipper thread. we're bored. we don't have any new scenes/eps to *really* talk about. we have little things here and there, but we don't have a real, bona fide sam ep to thrill on. and for shippers, we don't have s/j ship (it's literally getting anti, with all the sam/other stuff popping up).

we're all just anxious and (getting) impatient, waiting for what we USED to get in all the previous seasons.

as long as we don't separate into 'positive only' and 'negative only' sam threads, we'll do fine.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          Yeah, and how sad is that? I don't know, maybe I have a thick skin, but I haven't felt censored when I've posted negatively. Nor positively. In fact, I've found that the people on this thread have been really generous towards me, even when I'm griping and moaning. So maybe I'm not objective because the belittling hasn't really happened to me yet, it may be easier for me to say "lets all just say whatever we feel we want to". I don't see the warzone some of you others see, I still see a community of good people who have been very kind and accepting towards me, even when we disagree on ideas. I regularily have minor (idea-oriented) disagreements with some of the people on this thread whom I respect a great deal and I'm very pleased to consider online buddies. Just yesterday I disagreed with Strix about something. I disagreed with Forever a little while ago, and Ooober not long before that, but I love the heck out of all three ladies, and I have so much fun talking with them online in email and here, I can't imagine ever taking offense to the fact that I disagree with them or that I might like a character they loathe or vice versa.

And I won't even get INTO the stuff I disagree with AD about... But... he's cute, so he can stay, too. I dunno, maybe I just haven't felt censored where others have.
          That sums up my feelings pretty well, too, mini, although AD and I have a frightening amount in common when it comes to our ship preferences. (He even gave me one of his Sam clones some time back...)

I've probably said this before, but I think we're all passionate about SG-1 or we wouldn't be here, and that passion can be reflected in our posts, both positive and negative. We just need to be tolerant and respectful of other people's opinions, remembering that there is a wide range of likes and dislikes on the GW forum and this thread. You know, Sam has a wide fan base; we need to respect our diversity. Be considerate when expressing opinions, keeping in mind that somebody on the thread is probably going to think differently.

I don't want to feel censored in expressing my opinion, and I don't want other people to feel censored, either. But I think it is right to expect and demand civility and respect in any discussion.

We do need to be mindful of staying on topic.

I think one of the places where we tend to stray off topic is when discussing our initial reactions to new episodes. We comment about the entire episode, and don't always limit our comments to Sam's role in the ep. Personally, I'm okay with that, but maybe we need to be mindful about commenting on other people's posts when we start discussing things non-Sam related on this thread. Just a thought.

My LJ

Comment

So, I rewatched THREADS (big surprise there, hey?)

I noticed in the boardroom scene when Sam's cell phone rings and she shuts it off, she really looks beyond embarassed; she looked mortified by it. Then when she was called to the actual land-line, I wondered during her brief conversation with Pete, why it was she was so nice to him.

Now, by nice, I mean, not a single shortened consonant or clipped phrase - which I have to admit I'd have let slip in if I was really embarassed by my significant other calling me incessantly at an inopportune time. Hey, I'm human, I'd probably have muttered at him under my breath a little. But ... Sam didn't. And I got to thinking, she's never less than sweet and civil whenever we see her with Pete. Which means ... she is either *really* a lot nicer than me (than any average human female for that matter), or she's still not entirely herself when she's with Pete.

Naturally, another light went off in my head at that point, and I thought, maybe that's yet a new reason she choose to end things with him.

Am I reading too much into that?

Most of the Sam-centric fanfiction I've read has Sam painted with a bit of firey stubborn-ness mixed into her dutiful persona. I really see that about her character, too. In THREADS she was always just a little too polite to him, too careful to smile and it looked like she wasn't very comfortable - which was the point, I know.

So what do you guys think? Is Sam too nice to most people in general - as a bit of a character flaw (we'll set McKay aside for a moment*g*)? Or is she only too nice to people she's trying to prove something to?

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
              *throws self on floor and proceeds to pitch a temper tantrum*

I can't get that SG personality quiz to work. Guess that means I'm like no one.
              That happened to me also, I found out it means your tied between 2 characters. Go back and change a couple of answers
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                That happened to me also, I found out it means your tied between 2 characters. Go back and change a couple of answers
                That's bogus!

Thanks for the tip Mandy!
                sigpic

Comment

So what do you guys think? Is Sam too nice to most people in general - as a bit of a character flaw (we'll set McKay aside for a moment*g*)? Or is she only too nice to people she's trying to prove something to?
                  Awe how can we leave McKay out of it? Some of her best @%#* you scenes have been with McKay However she has had the 'if looks could kill' look for Kinsey many times, don't forget her arguements with Dr. Lee. So I think we have seen a bit of Sam's temper coming through.
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Ok...changed some answers and volia!

I'm Sam.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ok...changed some answers and volia!

I'm Sam.
                      Welcome to the club
                      We're going to go out and kick some a&& then head to the bar for some diet coke
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                        Really ... What characterization did he have? I'm just curious. Thor is my favorite alien behind Teal'c of course.

Originally posted by chocdoc
                        I think Sam will be great with McKay because she likes him
                        Am I the only one who thinks that she doesn't like him? Respects his capability, maybe. Seriously, is Sam allowed to not like someone who isn't an obvious villain?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                          Welcome to the club
                          We're going to go out and kick some a&& then head to the bar for some diet coke
                          i stayed true to who i am, and i ended up jonas. not bad at all.

i *wanted* to be sam, but...

i wonder how *amanda* would have done?...

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

I've done two of these quizzes now, and I always end up as Carter. I think most Samandans probably would, given our inherant - leanings, both personal and professional. I think most of us probably end up on the Carter side of those types of psychology profiles.
                            I'm most like Daniel Jackson, which didn't surprise me a bit. At least, classic Daniel Jackson and I share a very similar personality/temperment.

I'm an INFJ, and I would type him as an INFP...

Sam, I would type as an INTJ.

Vala, incidentally, is Sam's exact opposite, an ESFP.

And if you're curious as to what I'm talking about you can go here or here.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
                              Am I the only one who thinks that she doesn't like him? Respects his capability, maybe. Seriously, is Sam allowed to not like someone who isn't an obvious villain?
                              the mckay that was before atlantis, i'd say sam didn't 'like' him. i agree, respects his scientific brain, but he was a total a$$ to her and others at the sgc.

how would she feel about the mckay of atlantis? i have no idea, because i don't really know that mckay of atlantis.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Ditto that!!! {{{{Kat}}}}} You rock!! Don't ever change!!
                                Working my way through, but a third ditto on that, Kat. I'm saving up a big hug for you in November.

My LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X