Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dani76
    Guys, if you haven't seen it already, there is this great quiz out there where you can determine which character you're most like. Guess what I got:

You can find the quiz here, it was created by Central Gal.

Thanks for the post to the quiz! I am most like Sam Carter as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
      I was watching Smoke and Mirrors tonight, and was reminded of a favorite Sam moment. I'm not sure how much of this should be put into spoiler tags, so I'll just put the whole thing in:

Spoiler:
      It's just after the house blows up, and Barrett ends up on top of Sam:

Sam: What are you doing?
      Barrett: Covering you.
      Sam: Thank you. Get off.

AT's delivery of that was so perfect. It's one of those scenes that has me rewinding over and over because the look on her face, and the tone of her voice just has me laughing out loud.

I loved this moment too! Great delivery by AT on her lines and expresssions!! It was too funny.

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
        *in shock*
        Wow. I just got Sam Carter.
        I actually wasn't expecting that.
        I've done two of these quizzes now, and I always end up as Carter. I think most Samandans probably would, given our inherant - leanings, both personal and professional. I think most of us probably end up on the Carter side of those types of psychology profiles.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I think all of us Sam's should celebrate
          Let's go out, kick some a&& then go to a bar and order some diet coke
          (but not O'Malley's, I don't think we're allowed in there anymore )
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
            I loved this moment too! Great delivery by AT on her lines and expresssions!! It was too funny.
            about as good as the one in desperate measures....her 'very dramatic, thank you'

where, in that case, you kinda get the idea that she was kinda clinging onto her self control by her fingernails and, maybe, had to quip off before she screamed
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              i think...yes the tone of the thread has changed...but the tone of the whole forum has changed as well. we have a lot of new folks here who have brought their own pov's into the mix.

i know it's not as much fun as it used to be...then again we have a lot of folks that have joined us that are having the time of thier lives.

I'm sorry that some folks have left and it'd be great if they came back. however, i don't recall ever seeing - in this thread - or hearing of anyone receiving a pm or e-mail telling them to bugger off for having one opinion or another. I've never heard anyone going 'only those that love s9 are welcome to post here'

I'm sorry that folks don't feel welcome...but, to the best of my knowledge, no one has run them off. they've chosen to leave of thier own free will.

If they truly felt unwelcome then i'm not sure what can be done. we, as the thread, have no control over someone's feelings other than our own.

over the course of the past, way too many years, people have joined and left the fandom as a whole. and this thread is just like that. People come and go
              It's cool. Obviously I am in the minority with my opinion of this subject matter. Perhaps part of my issues lie in the fact that a year ago, we were all discussing how proud we were of this thread because it was truly a safe haven. A place where Amanda could come and pop in from time if she wanted and not deal with all the negative comments she might find on other forums, threads, ect. We even invited her come read the thread if I remember correctly.

And just a few months ago we saw in a Gateworld interview that Amanda has actually taken the time to peruse the forum and she mentioned that some of the things she read was a bit upsetting.

So I ask myself, is an actress who is regularly on the recieving end of a good deal of trashing really going to enjoy reading this thread if she knew other characters on the show were being trashed. Ok, so we aren't actually bashing the actor, but if you ask me, I don't see how we are being any different than the so-called Sam haters on Sony? These are people that Amanda works with every day. Would you really be so eager to vocalizing your discontent with the show if you knew Amanda was reading this thread? I just know for me personally, if I only had a few minutes to chat with her, I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time complaining about all the things I hate about the other characters or how I believe the writers are destroying the show. I would be thanking her for all the wonderful moments she has given me, which I really thought was the whole reason of this thread...to express how we thought Sam was a great character.

If you are happy with the direction this thread is going, then by all means feel free to continue. I do not wish to put an even bigger damper on everyone's mood. I apologize if I made anyone feel as if the thread has become a warzone, that was not my intention. But I must admit that the thread has become much darker since season nine began and the comments about other characters( such as Vala and Mitchell ) tend to get nastier as time goes on.

Just something to think about,
              Kat
              Last edited by ForeverSg1; 31 January 2006, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                It's cool. Obviously I am in the minority with my opinion of this subject matter. Perhaps part of my issues lie in the fact that a year ago, we were all discussing how proud we were of this thread because it was truly a safe haven. A place where Amanda could come and pop in from time if she wanted and not deal with all the negative comments she might find on other forums, threads, ect. We even invited her to pop in from time to time if I remember correctly.

And just a few months ago we saw in a Gateworld interview that Amanda has actually taken the time to peruse the forum and she mentioned that some of the things she read was a bit upsetting.

So I ask myself, is an actress who is regularly on the recieving end of the a good deal of trashing really going to enjoy reading this thread if she knew other characters on the show were being trashed. Ok, so we aren't actually bashing the actor, but if you ask me, I don't see how we are being any different than the so-called Sam haters on Sony? These are people that Amanda works with every day. Would you really be so eager to vocalizing your discontent with the show if you knew Amanda was reading this thread? I just know for me personally, if I only had a few minutes to chat with her, I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time complaining about all the things I hate about the other characters or how I believe the writers are destroying the show. I would be thanking her for all the wonderful moments she has given me, which I really thought was the whole reason of this thread...to express how we thought Sam was a great character.

If you are happy with the direction this thread is going, then by all means feel free to continue. I do not wish to put an even bigger damper on everyone's mood. I apologize if I made anyone feel as if the thread has become a warzone, that was not my intention. But I must admit that the thread has become much darker since season nine began and the comments about other characters( such as Vala and Mitchell ) tend to get nastier as time goes on.

Kat
                I tried to green ya, bit it says I have to spread it around
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

i think it is differing pov's.

i don't think we've seen much of folks discussing BEN or CLAUDIA, but cameron and vala. There is a difference between discussing the character and the actor and i think we've done a decent job in keeping the actors out of things.

we may need to work to make this thread more about sam than other characters, but there will always be some discussion simply because sam exists with these other characters and since they interact, they have an impact on Sam
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It's cool. Obviously I am in the minority with my opinion of this subject matter. Perhaps part of my issues lie in the fact that a year ago, we were all discussing how proud we were of this thread because it was truly a safe haven. A place where Amanda could come and pop in from time if she wanted and not deal with all the negative comments she might find on other forums, threads, ect. We even invited her come read the thread if I remember correctly.

So I ask myself, is an actress who is regularly on the recieving end of a good deal of trashing really going to enjoy reading this thread if she knew other characters on the show were being trashed. Ok, so we aren't actually bashing the actor, but if you ask me, I don't see how we are being any different than the so-called Sam haters on Sony? These are people that Amanda works with every day. Would you really be so eager to vocalizing your discontent with the show if you knew Amanda was reading this thread? I just know for me personally, if I only had a few minutes to chat with her, I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time complaining about all the things I hate about the other characters or how I believe the writers are destroying the show. I would be thanking her for all the wonderful moments she has given me, which I really thought was the whole reason of this thread...to express how we thought Sam was a great character.

Kat

I see what you're saying, and appreciate your sensitivity. I do think, however, we have also had alot of positive comments about the possibility of good interaction between Sam and Vala. We've had discussions about the potential of the relationship between Sam and Vala for season 10 (For me, I just am leary about the writers---can they write this well?) So I think the tone about this has been maybe a bit more positive rather than negative.

As far as Mitchell--I've been really restrained about this--I'm like a yoyo with him because I want to like him and sometimes I do, and then I get frustrated because his behavior makes me crazy. A key theme of this thread that I remember from long long ago is that the majority here wanted Sam to continue to lead SG-1 in season 9. We want to see militarySam and scientist Sam, regardless of all of our varied preferences. Many including me felt that she was not given this chance in season 8 like she should have had. So here comes season 9 and she is at best, co-leading with Mitchell. So, when I see Mitchell making some mistakes, it is difficult for me not to be frustrated. I'm not bashing Mitchell--I'm just frustrated that he is leading when I don't think he shows the signs of a good leader. Discussing Mitchell is bound to come up on this thread because of the leadership issue. (And Maybe AT would not be upset that Sam fans really wanted Sam to lead!!!! ).

Now a number of people have mentioned liking the interactions between Sam and Mitchell, and I'm one of them. I like their friendship, but need to know more about their backstory. They have an ease about them, IMO. This I have enjoyed so far. It's just that darn leadership issue that keeps nagging at me.

Comment

Actually I'm Thor... lol

Originally posted by minigeek
                      I've done two of these quizzes now, and I always end up as Carter. I think most Samandans probably would, given our inherant - leanings, both personal and professional. I think most of us probably end up on the Carter side of those types of psychology profiles.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                        Actually I'm Thor... lol
                        Really ... What characterization did he have? I'm just curious. Thor is my favorite alien behind Teal'c of course.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          i don't watch atlantis (i've said it before). but, i'd watch it if amanda/sam was on. so...

for the atlantis fans here in samanda, how do you think sam will be used on atlantis, seeing as she's supposed to be in an ep or more in season 10? and to help me understand more about the show, tell me how you think the atlantis characters will relate to sam. remember, i really don't know these ppl other than there's the lead dark haired guy (sheppard) that evidently sleeps with a lot of women, and the dark haired woman (weir) that's kinda, in a way, running the base, and... just help me out here.

sally

Good questions! I think others who watch Atlantis faithfully could answer this better than me. I like the interaction between Weir and Sam in New Order. I think they have a mutual respect for one another and their abilities. I would like see them interact much more---I'm imagining them working well together. I think Sam will be great with McKay because she likes him, but there is no romance there on her part. They are two brilliant minds who ruffle each other's feathers. And now that GUP happened---well the interaction with the real Sam should be a treat. Sheppard--I think again one of mutual respect.

I have no idea what they plan to do, but I'm wondering if Sam may be going over for a short arc of some sort in the second half. She would be needed in Atlantis for both military and scientific reasons, and I just think it will be several episodes in a row instead of two or three spread out--I have no idea why I think this. Maybe because it would be less jarring that way than have her pop in and out alot, and therefore be away from SG-1 team here and there. That's all I got at this point!

Comment

Kat
                            {{{Kat}}} You have a very kind spirit. Don't ever change. The world needs more people like you in it.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                              {{{Kat}}} You have a very kind spirit. Don't ever change. The world needs more people like you in it.
                              Ditto that!!! {{{{Kat}}}}} You rock!! Don't ever change!!
                              sigpic
                              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

the following post contains spoilers for ALL seasons

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                about as good as the one in desperate measures....her 'very dramatic, thank you'

where, in that case, you kinda get the idea that she was kinda clinging onto her self control by her fingernails and, maybe, had to quip off before she screamed
                                yeah, i loved that scene! it was one of those scenes i've played over and over, because of amanda's delivery. i totally agree with how you described sam's state of mind at the moment. you could hear it in her voice.

i love those little 'god, that woman can act!' moments. my others are -

'entity', where sam/entity is trying not to blow it's stack when jack is purposely trying to egg it on. the facial ticks amanda put into that scene... awesome, just awesome.

the sam/fifth torture scenes from 'new order'.

geeksam from moebius(s).

the sam/jack hug from heroes. (a note on that scene: notice how it's filmed from sam's pov much, much more than jack's? i loved that)

sam losing it (crying, yelling at the reporter guy) when she came back from the planet in heroes.

various scenes in 'solitudes' & 'in the line of duty'. (i tried very hard to pick just one scene in both... i gave up)

i liked her 'just waking up' bit from 'out of mind'.

sam waking up, with jack's help, after fainting in 'deadman switch'.

sam staring dejectedly through the bars at teal'c in 'demons'.

in 'jolinar's memories', when sam is taken to see bynar(sp?). it's when he's talking to her but she's remembering jolinar being in that room. she looks up and remembers the rings, just as bynar is making some threat. it's that sudden look to bynar... i just liked amanda's timing in that.

in 'urgo', when sam is being followed by urgo and runs into janet and hammond. one of them says to sam, 'i see', and sam replies, 'oh, i wish you did'. LOVED her timing!

the sam/jack behind the forcefield scene in 'divide and conquer'. LOTS of emoting without words.

the look sam gave jack while they were on the ledge in 'beneath the surface'. jack was revealing the truth to the slave dwellers, and sam stared at him with total adoration. again, acting without words.

the sam/jack argument on the beach in 'the light'. it was very fun to see this snarky, pissed off side to sam. (wouldn't mind seeing more of it )

'summit/last stand', where sam is talking to lantash through elliot. it's while they're in the cave and lantash is admitting to loving sam as much as martouf did. it was sam's reaction to it. the lighting was very subdued and the director wouldn't let you completely see sam's face. it added to the melancholy of the moment. amanda played it brilliantly.

'meridian', where sam is trying to heal daniel. it went wrong and sam was *very* uncool/confident in that moment. the doctors came and sam had to literally jump out of the way, with her saying, 'sorry!, sorry!'. loved that moment from amanda.

in 'revelations', the beginning scene of her walking through daniel's office and grieving. then, when she's talking to teal'c later on the tok'ra ship about missing and grieving for daniel, and not feeling that teal'c and jack are their for her to grieve with.

'paradise lost', where she's arguing with dr lee. i LOVED amanda's face during this encounter. wonderful directing too.

waking up after her and jack were knocked out by some ? force in 'lifeboat'. amanda played sam very quiet (i don't even know if she spoke, except for 'janet') and in physical distress (headache from hell, throwing in some lovely nausea).

'grace' is a virtual cavalcade of great amanda/sam moments! (means i can't pick just one scene )

'chimera' where sam's staring at pete adoringly just after she told him the truth about the stargate program.
                                (=shipper)

sam staring death in the face (super soldier) in 'death knell'. he's ready to kill her and sam's spent physically and mentally. amanda played it beautifully. (that look haunted me actually)

sam staring at the frozen jack at the end of 'lost city pt 1. (i can only pick a handful of actors/actresses that can get to me with just their silent emoting)

replicarter. enough said.

sam staring up at a (hopefully to her) ascending orlin at the end of 'ascension'.

in 'ascension', sam trying to prove her point that she is capable of contributing on the mission after fainting. her scenes with hammond and jack showed how eager (with a side of childish stubborness) she was to stay with the mission.

sam looking at jack with a sweet (and almost naive') look after he teased her/joe faxon about asking questions to sam in '2001'.

i will admit that i started off this rundown with just the first scenes that popped into my mind, but i ended up going through the episodes to find more. i'm not picking out my fave eps per se, just particular moments where amanda's acting just got to me. and i'm leaving out a LOT of moments... rundown would become novel

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X