Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    Hehehe, I always find gen-fic way too dry. You'll probably notice that very few mainstream novels out there don't put a tiny bit of romance into their story arcs too, it spices things up. Not every bit of romance written has to be like a soap-opera.
    Yeah, but some of the best Sam fic I've read has been gen. Gracie's The Hidden One is a perfect example of one

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      Yeah, but some of the best Sam fic I've read has been gen. Gracie's The Hidden One is a perfect example of one
      I haven't read that. If there's sufficient emotional turbulence, I'd probably enjoy it too (even the non romantic kind - especially if it's an introspective piece), but a lot of the gen-fic I've read has been long and action-packed, but lacking in the emotional department, as though the author decided that not including romance meant not including *any* strong character emotions. Few "fanfic" authors I've come across have been of sufficient caliber to keep my attention on the character that way. Which isn't to say it's not possible, I've read a couple of Denise and Strix's pieces that were GEN and I liked them. But I do prefer it when there's some a drip or two of at least an allusion to emotional-character-attachment in my adventure/sci-fi fanfiction-reading (totally my personal preference).

EDIT--> I should also add that,where SG-1 and Sam Carter are concerned, much the same way non-shippers don't enjoy seeing a romo connection between Sam and Jack, I view Sam's feelings for Jack as being a part of her established character. A long introspective story that doesn't acknowledge or at least touch upon those feelings (without necessarily even descending into outright actualization), or a story where those feelings don't exist at all and are pointedly debunked, would (to my mind) be an OOC Sam piece. To me, Sam's feelings for Jack are a small (but important) part of who she has become now, regardless of whether they ever go anywhere with them or not. It's difficult for me to put this into words, I'm sure someone else could do it better, but that's just how I feel.
      Last edited by minigeek; 30 January 2006, 06:03 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

the hidden one is good.

you might want to check out some of Carrie's fic. i think she archives her stuff on stargatefan

she sometimes does have a daniel slant to her fic, but she doesn't do ship

night terrors is good gen. there is a little bit of sam and jack at the end, but it's not the 'undying love' kind more the 'we're close' kind.

the weather outside is also good. it is ust-y but doesn't go beyond janet and her 'i wonder if they'll ever get a clue' kind of comment.

the 'bad' thing about sam fic. most of the anti-ship folks don't write sam much at all. now she'll be IN a fic, but usually goes with teal'c to get help while jack stays with an injured daniel ...so most sam writers are also shippers so the ship slips in there

I've long since resigned myself to the fac that if i want to read sam fic, i gotta have that jack angle in there too
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          night terrors is good gen. there is a little bit of sam and jack at the end, but it's not the 'undying love' kind more the 'we're close' kind.
          I read that one and really enjoyed it too. Because it did at least acknowledge there was more there than an officer/subbordinate relationship between them. Deep friendship, as it were. Works for me too.

Comment

have you tried Doc's fic? probably archived at www.jackfic.com

she writes fic that acknowledges that they have something, but doesn't focus on it

sue corkill's fic, www.sjhw.net (look for Tolerance) also is a shipper, but her gen stuff is friendly gen.

sigpic

Comment

I've long since resigned myself to the fac that if i want to read sam fic, i gotta have that jack angle in there too
              You yourself have written great Samfic with the Jack angle in there too. You'd be one of the great examples I'd highlight of someone who can write great Samfic, which does acknowledge that Sam's human and has deep friendships (some potentially deeper than others) while still maintaining her character's integrity and strength.

That's really my point. No one character or person is a pillar unto themselves, that's what makes SG-1 so compelling for me, the team *needs* eachother and has grown over the years to care for eachother a great deal as a result. I feel that the series has tried to portray that Sam cares for Jack differently than she cares for Daniel and Teal'c (not necessarily 'more', but differently), and there difference there is that her feelings for him are perhaps a little less platonic than they are towards the other boys. I love a good fic that can balance that in with the larger, action storyline, and keep the character's integrity in-tact.

Comment

I haven't read that. If there's sufficient emotional turbulence, I'd probably enjoy it too (even the non romantic kind - especially if it's an introspective piece), but a lot of the gen-fic I've read has been long and action-packed, but lacking in the emotional department, as though the author decided that not including romance meant not including *any* strong character emotions. Few "fanfic" authors I've come across have been of sufficient caliber to keep my attention on the character that way. Which isn't to say it's not possible, I've read a couple of Denise and Strix's pieces that were GEN and I liked them. But I do prefer it when there's some a drip or two of at least an allusion to emotional-character-attachment in my adventure/sci-fi fanfiction-reading (totally my personal preference).

EDIT--> I should also add that,where SG-1 and Sam Carter are concerned, much the same way non-shippers don't enjoy seeing a romo connection between Sam and Jack, I view Sam's feelings for Jack as being a part of her established character. A long introspective story that doesn't acknowledge or at least touch upon those feelings (without necessarily even descending into outright actualization), or a story where those feelings don't exist at all and are pointedly debunked, would (to my mind) be an OOC Sam piece. To me, Sam's feelings for Jack are a small (but important) part of who she has become now, regardless of whether they ever go anywhere with them or not. It's difficult for me to put this into words, I'm sure someone else could do it better, but that's just how I feel.
                Definitely check out The Hidden One MG, its a cracker of a fic.

And I should point out that I do enjoy introspective fic as much as anyone. I just don't really care to read about Sam/Jack ship introsepctive fic. I've read some really good Sam/Jack FRIENDship fic (as rare as that is ) but I don't really go for shippy stuff. If the fic can acknowledge it, but not go into ship, then thats fine by me.
                Sam/Janet, Sam/Teal'c, Sam/Daniel, Sam/<insert character here> are a different story though

Edit: Also I should point out that I do prefer to read stories that have more of an action/adventure slant to them. I guess I just like Sam blowing **** up

Comment

have you tried Doc's fic? probably archived at www.jackfic.com

she writes fic that acknowledges that they have something, but doesn't focus on it

sue corkill's fic, www.sjhw.net (look for Tolerance) also is a shipper, but her gen stuff is friendly gen.
                  Yes, I adore Doc's fic. She's a master. It's no wonder she went on to write professionally.

I've read Sue's gen stuff too and liked it well.

Astro (SG1-Fanfic on ff.net) is an author who is also really good at writing Samfic, with S/J in it, without going over the top.

-
                  Last edited by minigeek; 30 January 2006, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                    Definitely check out The Hidden One MG, its a cracker of a fic.

And I should point out that I do enjoy introspective fic as much as anyone. I just don't really care to read about Sam/Jack ship introsepctive fic. I've read some really good Sam/Jack FRIENDship fic (as rare as that is ) but I don't really go for shippy stuff. If the fic can acknowledge it, but not go into ship, then thats fine by me.
                    Sam/Janet, Sam/Teal'c, Sam/Daniel, Sam/<insert character here> are a different story though
                    See, I don't get that. Can you explain for me what about Sam/Jack turns you the wrong side of green, when you don't mind Sam with virtually any other warm body? I'm seriously curious. It is just his military rank? Well, but you don't seem to mind the idea of her and Cam too much either so it can't be that.. what is it? He too old? Too "not your type for Sam"? Or does he just squick you for a reason you can't figure out? I could understand that, that's the way I feel about Sam/Daniel fiction, frankly. Just makes me crawly and I can't give a rational explanation for it. Seriously. What's your angle on S/J. Spill.

Comment

You yourself have written great Samfic with the Jack angle in there too. You'd be one of the great examples I'd highlight of someone who can write great Samfic, which does acknowledge that Sam's human and has deep friendships (some potentially deeper than others) while still maintaining her character's integrity and strength.
                      thank you

That's really my point. No one character or person is a pillar unto themselves, that's what makes SG-1 so compelling for me, the team *needs* eachother and has grown over the years to care for eachother a great deal as a result. I feel that the series has tried to portray that Sam cares for Jack differently than she cares for Daniel and Teal'c (not necessarily 'more', but differently), and there difference there is that her feelings for him are perhaps a little less platonic than they are towards the other boys. I love a good fic that can balance that in with the larger, action storyline, and keep the character's integrity in-tact.
                      that's what i like to read. not smooshy wuv, but them acting liek themselves, or at least how i see them on the show. even if you don't like the romance angle, i think a person still has to acknowledge that these folks are friends. they know and care for each other. and, again l eaving romance out of it, there is a bond between a male and female (or males) that goes through the stuff sg1 has gone through. a closeness that, even if it's platonic, is closer than some husbands adn wives

let's say that sam and pete or joe were happily married...the husband would still have to accept (and the guys' wives as well) that these four folks would be together in a way that the mates will never accomplish

sigpic

Comment

let's say that sam and pete or joe were happily married...the husband would still have to accept (and the guys' wives as well) that these four folks would be together in a way that the mates will never accomplish
                        Totally. And that's why, so long as the four of them remain close, I don't think any marriage like that could *be* 100% happy for Sam. I think that's part of the reason she broke up with Pete. No spouse will ever be entirely happy knowing that there's a big (emotional) part of the person they love (their "life partner" for lack of a better word) which that partner won't be able to share with them. Recipe for divorce. It's a tragic paradox, almost, when you look at it that way. But I think it's ultimately true for their characters.

Comment

it would definitely be an issue. the mate would have to be very, very understanding, and also secure in the fidelity of thier spouse to trust them...and accept them

which is something that i also think has altered sam's life. ok, so she's a female in the miliary who has a close bond with the guys she serves with.

and if those guys have spouses....how do you think they look at sam? competition. which, in my interpretation, is why sam is socially inept in a lot of ways. i think once she realized that the girlfriends would always look at her 'that way' she curtailed or didn't socialilze with her friends

sigpic

Comment

it would definitely be an issue. the mate would have to be very, very understanding, and also secure in the fidelity of thier spouse to trust them...and accept them

which is something that i also think has altered sam's life. ok, so she's a female in the miliary who has a close bond with the guys she serves with.

and if those guys have spouses....how do you think they look at sam? competition. which, in my interpretation, is why sam is socially inept in a lot of ways. i think once she realized that the girlfriends would always look at her 'that way' she curtailed or didn't socialilze with her friends
                            I think so too. Sam's never had it easy in the emotional department. Which is why I think she's always found it easier to go after the proverbial "bird with the broken wing". Broken-people are people she can not only concentrate on fixing, but also would have less to prove to, because they're already broken in their own right, which means that no matter what her own failings may be, she's not up against someone she feels is more adept (emotionally) than she is. Someone fatally flawed is easier to open up to as well. There's less risk involved.

Comment

No offense to anyone here but I do not understand why discussion of Mitchell and his horribly immature and unprofessional behaviour is not appropriate for this thread. Yes this is Sam's a Great Character thread and I have acknowledged that I am currently, have been and will likely continue to be, very down on this show but when I discuss Mitchell I am also discusisng Carter and the fact that, even if not stated directly, I think she is a hell of a better soldier and leader then Mitchell is as written and I do not know why I should not be able to discuss my opinions on how I think Mitchell's behaviour diminishes him, his teammates and the show. Carter is clearly a better leader and discussion of the Mitchell debacle is related . . .

Well anyway - I am not really sure what I want to say but I do not post as often simply because I am down on the show in general and don't want to bring all of you down but whenever I do post anymore I feel guilty about it so I come even less and I start to restrict myself more to the anti-threads and the episode threads, I guess I just feel that since I am a supporter of Carter (and have been for many years now and it really is one of the few reasons I still watch at all, besides waiting in the vain hope for the TEAM aspect to retrun) I should be able to vent (at least once in awhile) and I should be able to discuss what is wrong, IMO, with Mitchell's character in relation to why Carter is so much better as the leader.

Thats' it - sorry if I have offended anyone - I'm tired, RL is hectic and I just do not like feeling guilty for feeling bad that one of my favorite characters is being made to suffer for such a poorly written, unprofessional, immature character who does not deserve to be co-leader of SG1, he could not touch Carter with a 100 foot pole she is so far ahead of him in so many ways.

Comment

I watched "Nightwalkers" tonight on DVD - what an awesome Sam episode. I'd almost forgotten how great it was. From the scientistSam who sets to work cracking the Goa'uld cypher, to the kick-arseSam who manages *not* to be taken as a host, takes out a whole ROOM full of Goa'uld and then goes after the last two with attitude, on her own (leaving Teal'c and Jonas tied to chairs, I loved that lol). Aw man, I miss that Sam...

AD--I'm sure you also remember that episode for the awesome leather pants???

Comment

Working...
                                X