Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Thanks to AD, I've set a new goal for myself...

I'm going to try to become a squeeing fangirl for Sam/Amanda. I will try not allow myself to become wrapped up in the negative aspects of the show as it leads to nothing but misery on my part. I will spend my days looking at all the positive Sam moments that an episode has to offer me, whether it be Scientist!Sam, or Nurturing!Sam, or I'mTotallyGoingToKickYourA$$!Sam. I'm going to squee my way through the season with the utter joy of knowing Sam will indeed be in Season 10 no matter how pathetic the storylines become.

Sam is a great character!

Sam is an awesome character!

Sam rocks my world!

SQUEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Hey this is making me feel better already.

Hmmm ... we may have to check with our Royal Pharmacist to see if you have been taking your meds.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian
      All right. I just saw Stronghold, and here is my idea on the episode. Hope I don't get lynched on my thoughts of Mitchell's behavior.

Spoiler:
      I enjoyed it. The idea of Teal'c being brainwashed and tortured again scared me, but it wasn't as descriptive as we used to see in other shows. Even though it hurt as much.

It was great to see Sam planning a rescue mission and leader the expedition. But how did she find time to bring the stuff to the hospital with such an important thing to plan ? Didn't had any sense.

About Mitchell. The entire thing with his friend was to explain to us why he was going to save Teal'c at the end. He wanted to do with Teal'c what his friend did for him. Maybe a way to pay his debt ? And Sam must have known why he was doing this, and why it was important for him. He expected Sam and Daniel to follow him. They're a team. They protect each others back. OK. He could have warned them on the radio, it was a crazy reaction, but the ship was leaving. There was no time to fool around either. And Sam had a duty to her teams on the planet. She was leading them, she had to stay down. No ?

It's filled with holes, luck, and other inconsistensies. But aren't all SG-1's episode filled with those ? How many times did a situation get under control at the last second of the countdown ? How many times did the Asguard beam them, again at just the right moment. How many crazy plans did they come up with ? So it doesn't bother me that much. We've been seing it for 9 years.

Oh ! and One more Ba'al down, how many to go ? :-D
      Ok, raising personal force sheild to prevent to many injuries ;-)
      *wonderful* commentary that's actually making me look at things differently. well done.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
        Wow some great posts from everyone today. My brain is to fuzzy to add much of anything today. I've managed to get the newest bug going around school and having been out of it most of the weekend. A friend braught lunch over to me and he left me his newest isue of "Non-Sport Update", a magazine on trading cards. He figured I would like it since it has an artile on the soon to be released S1 Battlestar Galactica cards and new promo cards for BSG and SG-1.

I will not bore you with the article but here is a pic from the article "The Birth of Trading Card: From Concept to Consumer" Part V:The Consumer

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...lady/AT/SJ.jpg

And for anyone that does collect the cards you may want to get a copy of the magazine while it is still on the new stand because here is the SG-1 S8 P2 card which is available free with the magazine

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...dy/AT/S8P2.jpg
        those cards are *great*!

is that really a sam/jack trading card? if so, what does it say on the back?

and what does it say on the back of sam's trading card?

thanks for sharing!

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
          Many thanks to everyone for the Birthday wishes. 41 - where do they go eh?!

Well I spent the day chauffering 1speed back from his holiday consisting of house hunting, and stone circling on the Isle of Lewis. The former was for me as I went up there for an interview - and got the job - which actually isn't that much of an achievement seeing as I think I was the only one who applied. Anyway in 3 months I shall be relocated in the back of beyond so I have a lot to do.

The stone circling went down well with 1speed I think - he came away with a ton of photo's and there was some heavy male to male bonding going down between he and my dog!!

I have just skimmed the latest posts and there is some interesting comment going on. I'm looking forward to watching ripple effect, but not to season 10!!
          Congratulations to our Royal Accountant on the new job!

When she says "back of beyond", she is not kidding ...
          http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...ishandMoon.jpg

Our dear Coley may be counting stones soon instead of beans! And it's quite a courageous act to pick up and re-settle in a strange new land. I think it's definitely a Sam-Carter kind of move! You go, woman!

Comment

In Stronghold,
            Spoiler:
            did anyone else notice that Carter and Daniel were launching their assault through the Stargate and engaging the enemy without proper headgear? No helmets at all! Again, is there still a USAF advisor about?

My thought was that they wanted to make sure that Sam and Daniel were recognizable among all the extra soldiers running about but I did not like the fact that they weren't properly outfitted for combat. I'm not sure ... did they at least have their protective vests on?

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
              Well, with due respect, most of the fans who adore the Mitchell and Vala characters are Farscape fans. It's much easier to love a new character when they're an old friend. Mitchell and Vala are still Ben and Claudia, and there's no question that the familiarity of their (well developed characters) on Farscape seeps into any Scaper's current view of their new role(s) on SG-1.
              Actually, there are more non FS fans who adore Mitchell and Vala, they just don't happen to post on this thread that often. They are just now going back and watching FS due to Ben and Claudia being on SG1.

I'll give you the fact that as of now, there's not been a role of Claudia's that I've seen that I haven't liked...Ben - he's another story. Sorry BritAngie (and other adoring Ben fans) but I don't see that he has much range as an actor, not like Claudia or Amanda have. But that's just me. Besides, I don't adore Ben...he's too much like one of my brothers.

If Amanda moved on to a new series, many of us would watch that new series and adore her character there because it would really be no different than watching an old friend take the role (a personal friend?). Fans really care about their favorite characters and celebrities, as is evidenced by the sheer number of Farscape fans who came to watch SG-1 (many for the first time) due to Ben and Claudia's re-appareance therein. That doesn't mean their characters are well developed or the stories are well written, it just means that we (as fans) already adore them, therefore it's difficult not to adore them in their new role just as well.
              True enough.

But you probably have watched every episode of Farscape (perhaps more than once?). You've made my point for me. Due respect once more, you'd love anything Ben and Claudia did, because you care for them as artists in addition to caring for the characters they played on Farscape. In fact, they are accomplished artists.
              Just as I'm sure you've watched every SG1 eps (- more than once perhaps?) and adore any given SG1 actor as much as FS fans adore Claudia and Ben? Actually, I have seen Ben in other stuff and I didn't love him. Claudia...even with the sad, pitiful writing (my opinion here) on Beastmaster, she still rocked. So ya, chances are I'll love anything she does, but that's because for me, she has way more talent than Ben does. Don't get me wrong, I like Ben just fine, but I am NOT one of his adoring fans. Never have been. He's a great person, in person, but as an actor...for me (again) he hasn't much range. I prefer actors with more than one range (Ben's, at the moment, is playing the good ol' boy hero, be the hero insane "Crichton" or not "Mitchell").

Which isn't to say that Cameron Mitchell is a character that's been well established in the SG-1 universe thus far. He's not terrible, but neither is he great, and the reason for that is not that there hasn't been any time to write for him yet, it's that the writing which has been done for his character has been mediochre at best.
              That's what my point was, that there really hasn't been time for TPTB to write Mitchell's story properly, but some fans are bound to give up on TPTB and on the character because they are to impatient. It's not the character's fault, it's the writers/PTB. I'm not saying that fans shouldn't give up because they don't like what's happening, I'm just trying to show a different perspective on what's happening with the show.

Adoring John Crighton fans are bound to love Cameron Mitchell, I'd wager any adoring Sam Carter fan would be bound to love whomever Amanda went on to play next as well. That is in no way a negative stab at said fans, I'm just trying to illustrate the point (the fact?) that there is a correlation there, whether we choose to highlight it or not.
              I never said there wasn't a correlation, just that I feel that some fans are being to impatient with the show, imho.
              sigpic
              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                In Stronghold,
                Spoiler:
                did anyone else notice that Carter and Daniel were launching their assault through the Stargate and engaging the enemy without proper headgear? No helmets at all! Again, is there still a USAF advisor about?

My thought was that they wanted to make sure that Sam and Daniel were recognizable among all the extra soldiers running about but I did not like the fact that they weren't properly outfitted for combat. I'm not sure ... did they at least have their protective vests on?
                They haven't worn their helmets since S3 (Rules of Engagement I believe), so it's not like its anything new

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  LOL, you've made some valid points; however, as mini has reminded, your experience of S9 is coming from a former context with the new characters who are not really new to you as a devoted fan. Many of us are open to the new characters but we are also looking for a certain continuity of arc/storylines with our veterans as the foundation that grounds all the newbies. This is not a "new show", just a new season. I don't mind a blended marriage, but, gosh darn, I'm still waiting for the honeymoon to begin! I would like a better transition period between old and new! And I'd like to keep the baby rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater!
                  Actually, the character of Vala is new to me...she is nothing like Aeryn. (Yes, I'll watch just about anything Claudia does. Ben's work, I'm more picky about because for me Ben is not as talented as Claudia.) Mitchell on the other hand is (for the moment - I'm hoping Ben will surprise me) Crichton not quite as insane. Just because I've not watched every eps of SG1 as often as some of you here have, doesn't mean I haven't been a fan of the show for the many years it's been on. I'm slowly catching up on the couple of years I missed when I quit watching SciFi altogether.

Well imho, the baby isn't nearly ready to be tossed out. I just think that due to the rush no one's had time to realize that the baby needs more nurturing and care before it's tossed out with the bathwater due to no one caring.

So, yes, here we all are ... sitting at the same nuptials, the marriage of old (eight seasons) to the new (S9). Heck, we've all been invited to the wedding. And, generally speaking, we're very well-behaved guests - taking our seats, listening to the Prior preach at the pulpit, admiring the bride and groom. Some of us are sitting on the bride's side of the aisle; others on the groom's. Maybe the courtship was a bit rushed, eh?! We're certainly hoping to get acquainted at the reception and hear TPTB deliver glowing toasts and projections of many years of bliss. But for some of us, watching the couple on the dance floor, they seem oddly out of step at times. We sigh and comfort ourselves as best we can. And then there is that issue of just whose baby it is anyhow ... maybe this was an arranged marriage after all.
                  Ah, but some of those sitting on one side or the other are trying to be kind to the faces of the other side, but under their breathes and behind the backs of the others are saying not so nice things. How is that "kindness regins here" at work? Yes, it might have been rushed or even arranged, but does that make it any less valid that it be given a chance to flourish without the being all down on it? As for the baby...imho, it will always be TPTB's baby. They came up with the idea and stories. I'm just along for the ride, enjoying it while it lasts. Sure there are a few bumps and bruises along the way...but what good ride doesn't that happen to?

Now, in the interest of not wanting to upset the remainder of this thread, should anyone wish to continue discussing this with me, please feel free to PM me. I wouldn't want to have this thread stray too far off the topic of SAM.
                  sigpic
                  I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Here's where I come from with Mitchell - 14 episodes and we have almost nothing of him bonding in any subtsantive way with the TEAM. We have him being captured, beaten up (numerous times, too many, IMO) put in peril (too many times) making bad judgments (too many times) distracting the team when they are on another mission and having to redirect their attention to save his sorry butt, acting irrationally in the field putting the team in danger and jeopardizing the mission, interacting with strangers that the fans have no connection with and no reason to connect with.

His time would have been better spent connecting with the team in different ways, so many wasted opportunities in 14 episodes where it could have solidified him as a member of the team, instead I still see him as separated from the team, as a rogue and as an individual -- NOT as a team member. (I felt Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c were a TEAM right from the get go and Teal'c was an ALIEN!)

The wiriting of Mitchell has been pi$$ poor, IMO. He is too separated from the team with all of this "woe is me crap" and all of this Mitchell in peril nonsense - it is idiotic for TPTB to think that putting him in peril every week will create angst of any sort as we all know they will NOT be killing him off (much to my shagrin especially after his idiotic behaviour in SH - those Jaffa at the rings should have shot him and maybe then he could just learn his damm lesson and grow-up to be a soldier that CAN handle the pressure and learn to leave his bad day, and his bad mood at home so he does not endanger the team again). It might play better with the team being involved as opposed to look at me the big, bad, rash, hot-headed soldier who had a bad day so he storms off - it makes no sense.

TPTB TELL me that he is a supposed great soldier, yadda, yadda, but what they SHOW me is far from that. What I see of him does not, in any way, strike me as a seasoned soldier or a leader and I fear for the team when he is with them. (When I see Carter in charge, or even not in charge but just doing her thing, I have more confidence in her just by the way she carries herself.) Mitchell, to me, needs more experience with off-world combat and off-world situations in general. That ridiculous plot-contrivance pushing the bottons that let the alien guy loose to the little walk-off and quickie with the "hot alien chick of the week" were just a few other examples of judgment disasters, IMO. When he is on a mission, whether it be diplomatic or rescue and combat he needs to be focused on his team and the mission not running off embarrasing the SGC, acting like a twit, or getting his people into trouble because they have to get his a$$ out of trouble. Sam, Daniel and Teal'c have enough to do to fight the enemy, save the world, the universe, the race of the day - they do not need Mitchell's bad judgment and bad moods/bad days getting in the way.

I said before and I'll say again, if he was on my team I would want him to stay as far away from me as possible - he's trouble right now and he needs to "learn from the best" before he goes any further. He needs to step back and regroup - he's a mess, IMO, and after 14 episodes TPTB have done nothing but show me why he should NOT be in co-lead of this SG1 - he does not in any way represent what this team is about (there is no I in team).

IMO the character is going backwards not forwards. This behaviour might work if the character was indeed a Captain or Major (with the obligatory inexperience Mitchell hasbeen written with) who was indeed there to learn from the best - not as Lt. Colonel who is supposedly co-leader of the team. Thank God he was not in charge in SH - picture the leader doing what he did - inexcusable at any level, including in any real life professional capacity, never mind in military ranks and on a rescue mission in the midst of combat - I just don't get it. To me he is a detriment to the team right now and it is his presence that is making the team feel separated and distant -- a round peg in a square hole does not fit.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                      IMO the character is going backwards not forwards. This behaviour might work if the character was indeed a Captain or Major (with the obligatory inexperience Mitchell hasbeen written with) who was indeed there to learn from the best - not as Lt. Colonel who is supposedly co-leader of the team. Thank God he was not in charge in SH - picture the leader doing what he did - inexcusable at any level, including in any real life professional capacity, never mind in military ranks and on a rescue mission in the midst of combat - I just don't get it. To me he is a detriment to the team right now and it is his presence that is making the team feel separated and distant -- a round peg in a square hole does not fit.

i keep thinking of the battle scene in stronghold...

spoilers for s7's heroes and s9's stronghold

Spoiler:
                      when mitchell ran off to take matters in his own hand... can you imagine, and i mean *really* imagine what the anti sam ppl would have said about her if *she'd* done that?

some of them were barking how when sam ran to help jack when he was hit in 'heroes', it left open the area for that jaffa to get through to kill janet. when i heard that, i thought that was the most ridiculous thing i'd ever heard. EVER heard.

but some of them are defending mitchell going off on his own to be hero, when he put sam and daniel's (and then teal'c's) lives in jeopardy because they had to go after him.

now, mind you, i didn't think what mitchell did was the worst thing ever (because there was another agenda with mitchell going on *redemption*), but when i compare it to how sam would have been roasted and mangled... then it ticks me off.

i really don't know where that came from.

sally

ps - does anyone have a clear picture of the
                      Spoiler:
                      'many' sams
                      from ripple effect?
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Have to agree with you Sal.....but that's way things seem to be going. At least AT/SC has a loving home here.

BTW, I just wanted to stop in an say "Hi!".....I've missed you all and I hope I get to meet alot of you at Gabit.....I still can't believe I got tickets. I haven't been to the UK in years, so this is going to be great...meeting Amanda and seeing old friends in London and meeting many of you. November can't come too quickly for me....
                        On fighting:
                        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          They haven't worn their helmets since S3 (Rules of Engagement I believe), so it's not like its anything new
                          Yes, but they do normally wear some sort of required cover, even if it's just the BDU baseball cap or kepi -- or at least Carter does. I found the complete lack of headgear conspicuous and bothersome; I'd be surprised to find that I've not noticed routine bareheadedness, but now I'm going to keep an eye out for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                            Yes, but they do normally wear some sort of required cover, even if it's just the BDU baseball cap or kepi -- or at least Carter does. I found the complete lack of headgear conspicuous and bothersome; I'd be surprised to find that I've not noticed routine bareheadedness, but now I'm going to keep an eye out for it.
                            Ah the hats lol. It seems to be more to do with who's directing the episode which will determine what headwear they have...

Comment

On the head gear theme, I think it's interesting to refer back to the Prodigy audio commentary. I seem to remember quite a lot of talk about hats and how certain directors don't like them. Plus, and I don't mean this offensively in anyway, but the actors probably don't like wearing them either. There's a police show in the UK called The Bill, and they stopped wearing the police helmets years ago, just wearing soft caps when necessary. Why? Because firstly, it causes unnecessary shadow on the faces, which has to be compensated for, second, most of the audience don't care anyway, so why bother, and thirdly, the actors hate getting hot and sweaty under the hat and getting hat hair.

On that note, I'm gonna leave you. Seeing as I'm around practically 24 hours a day, this is gonna be one hell of a cold turkey session. I should be back saturday/sunday...at any rate, that's when I'll be online. I know I've been a bit temperamental recently, but bear with me, you've been discussing some stuff that's difficult for me to face up to. I'm getting there. And Myrth is helping me with a fic that's gonna help me with some of these issues, which is cool.

Anyway. Need to get going. It's 7am and I have to drive round and pick up all the guys at 9am. I still haven't showered or packed I'll take lots of photos and drink a good few toasts to Samanda! France watch out.... here I come!
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                                On the head gear theme, I think it's interesting to refer back to the Prodigy audio commentary. I seem to remember quite a lot of talk about hats and how certain directors don't like them. Plus, and I don't mean this offensively in anyway, but the actors probably don't like wearing them either. There's a police show in the UK called The Bill, and they stopped wearing the police helmets years ago, just wearing soft caps when necessary. Why? Because firstly, it causes unnecessary shadow on the faces, which has to be compensated for, second, most of the audience don't care anyway, so why bother, and thirdly, the actors hate getting hot and sweaty under the hat and getting hat hair.

On that note, I'm gonna leave you. Seeing as I'm around practically 24 hours a day, this is gonna be one hell of a cold turkey session. I should be back saturday/sunday...at any rate, that's when I'll be online. I know I've been a bit temperamental recently, but bear with me, you've been discussing some stuff that's difficult for me to face up to. I'm getting there. And Myrth is helping me with a fic that's gonna help me with some of these issues, which is cool.

Anyway. Need to get going. It's 7am and I have to drive round and pick up all the guys at 9am. I still haven't showered or packed I'll take lots of photos and drink a good few toasts to Samanda! France watch out.... here I come!
                                Take care TJ!

Comment

Working...
                                X