Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binkpmmc
    You know the term the "true SG1" caught my eye because I refer to them the "real SG1" so we are on the same train of thought with that. When I saw the ratings for CD it really pigued my interest in tomorrow's ep. I still hold out that silent hope that the ratings for RE will be big and TPTB will "maybe" start to see the folly of their ways". The 1.7 while not its lowest rated ep this season, but equal to it, has to be a disappointment simply by virtue of the fact that their new "lead" could not pull in the ratings - where were all those FS/BB fans - why such a low score? Their new man doesn't seem to pique the interest of the numbers they thought - it could not even hold the 1.9 and everyone knew it was a Mitchel centric ep where we were supposed to learn so much about him (all the wrong stuff IMO). Why so little interest?

If RE garners a 1.9, or above, (my silent hope) because of its focus on the real SG1 and friends, to me that says people want to see the REAL SG1 as well as the old friends and favorites. I know it's only one ep thus far but it really is telling that it happened to be a Mitchell ep and at a time when so many seemed to be saying he needed more development and we needed to learn more, yadda, yadda, you figure all those people would have been watching - well SOMEONE wasn't watching (I think a .2 represents something like 500,000 plus viewers).

I still say that S7 started the decline (showrunner? the proverbial thorn-in-my-side) and the death of you-know-who really did have an impact on the turn of the show. (BTW does anyone remember what ratings Grace got on its first run showing or know where I could find it?) Anyway, I'm just babbling as I really am surprised with all the hoopla about BB and Mitchell that his ep tanked (I see it as a tank cuz he was so pimped by TPTB).

I am really looking forward to lots of Carter, and lots of our long lost friend and lots of Sam, Daniel and Teal'c - the real SG1 (and I anxiously await the ratings for this one).
    As much as I believe that Carter, Daniel, and Tealc would bring in the viewers with just the three of them and a trying a new team member each trip to add some spark until they found the perfect fit. They would also require some good story lines to go with.Now that would bring in the viewers. They really don't need a ship to get people interest. Sometimes just having good friends is all that is needed. That they truly are it sure seems anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Thanks to AD, I've set a new goal for myself...

I'm going to try to become a squeeing fangirl for Sam/Amanda. I will try not allow myself to become wrapped up in the negative aspects of the show as it leads to nothing but misery on my part. I will spend my days looking at all the positive Sam moments that an episode has to offer me, whether it be Scientist!Sam, or Nurturing!Sam, or I'mTotallyGoingToKickYourA$$!Sam. I'm going to squee my way through the season with the utter joy of knowing Sam will indeed be in Season 10 no matter how pathetic the storylines become.

Sam is a great character!

Sam is an awesome character!

Sam rocks my world!

SQUEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Hey this is making me feel better already.

Wheee! That's they way! Sam Carter roxors my soxors!

Comment

Hmmm, came across this link... http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/con...ominations.xml It's for a Canadian walk of fame - go nominate Amanda now!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          Hmmm, came across this link... http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/con...ominations.xml It's for a Canadian walk of fame - go nominate Amanda now!

Thanks for the link. Just did!

Comment

A friend loaned me the DVDs for the first two seasons of Sliders. In the first episode, there were some familiar faces... Sgt. Harriman and Narim. And Quinn, the brilliant young wormhole hopping hero has a cat named.... yup, you guessed it... Schroedinger.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
              Maybe the writers and PDL are secret fans of the now CANCELLED Farscape, and want their favourite character Chriton back. Wasn't that character OTT too? Maybe someone should remind TPTB that farscape was CANCELLED, and if they keep this up unfortuneately Stargate might be headed down the same road.
              Farscape was cancelled due to financial troubles that the parent companies of (at the time) Jim Henson Productions and SciFi Channel, not due to poor writing/directing. Just wanted to clarify.
              sigpic
              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                I think that RDA’s humor is sadly missed now as well. Over the years, I believe RDA did quite a bit of ad-libbing, until the writers got to the point that they could anticipate some of his humor and write in his “voice.” In other words, they had a blueprint to go by when they wanted to lighten things up. With Mitchell, they haven’t got that, I don’t think. Do we know how much of the humor we’re hearing this season is scripted and how much is ad-libbed? Does anyone know if TPTB for Farscape allowed ad-libbing, and if so, did Ben do much?
                Actually I think Ben and RDA's senses of humor are fairly similar. I know for some here, I've just spoken sacrilage, but that's how I see them.

As for Ben ad-libbing too much on FS, imho, he did not. It's up to the DIRECTOR to rein in any actor who's going OTT. Maybe the director for whatever eps you might be refering too didn't rein Ben in.

As for the humor this season, I see it as a bit of both. From the most recent FS con, Ben mentioned that he's taking things as they come, he's not pushing the envelope with the folks at SG1, cause he knows he's the "new kid" and he needs to learn what the house rules are. I think Ben's doing a fine job of playing by the house rules.

[i](read the sig please...not being defensive...just sharing the way I see it, as you asked)[i]
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                  Great post NC. Don't know a lot about Bens time on Farscape but I have heard he did some ad-libbing on the show. He said at the Farscape Con this year that he was not doing much on Stargate that he was sticking mainly to what was written for him. He did not feel as the new guy it was his right to come into a established show and throw around his ideas (very loose paraphrase). He did say he like any actor has made some suggestions on his character this season but not many. He did write some on Farscape but that was after he was asked to do so - someone asked at the con if he wanted to write/would he be writing for Stargate and he said he had not been asked to do that - but if he was asked in the future he would cross that bridge when it came. I really think after reading interviews with Ben and hearing him at the con that Ben has really tried to make the transition into Stargate as smooth as possible. He said at the con it is the writers job to create the script and his job to act what is written not rewrite it. (again I'm paraphrasing and Sunkrux I'm sure can add more)
                  I did. You pretty much covered most of what Ben said.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                    Yup and the cape always means you're in charge!! No cape = sidekick!

Actually, if you've ever watched "The Incredibles" you'd know that capes= death! <weg> They always get in the way and hung up on stuff or get you sucked into the plane's turbines.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Capes are bad luck for any superhero.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi! Well, it's been another one of those weeks at work, i.e., ( ), so I haven't been around at all! But I would like to say that I (are you ready?) enjoyed both eps Friday night. In fact, I thought SG-1 was the best it's been all year, except for EDM (and no Jack!). I didn't think the discussion of
                      Spoiler:
                      whether Cam should confirm his dying friend's suspicions about the program
                      reflected poorly on Sam at all.....although we had all feared it would.

As to RE, some may disagree with me, but I enjoyed it thoroughly (except for the few seconds when
                      Spoiler:
                      AT was in her bra and kissed Rodney!!!!
                      In fact, I thought AT played it wonderfully! The
                      Spoiler:
                      Sam illusion didn't seem like Sam at all! It seemed more like how Rodney would expect Sam to be.....which makes sense, 'cause it was all in his head!

So, that's my two cents worth. Now, I'm going to go back and read to see what all of you thought! I'll try to get back to the discussion tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                        <snip>
                        As to RE, some may disagree with me, but I enjoyed it thoroughly (except for the few seconds when
                        Spoiler:
                        AT was in her bra and kissed Rodney!!!!
                        In fact, I thought AT played it wonderfully! The
                        Spoiler:
                        Sam illusion didn't seem like Sam at all! It seemed more like how Rodney would expect Sam to be.....which makes sense, 'cause it was all in his head!

So, that's my two cents worth. Now, I'm going to go back and read to see what all of you thought! I'll try to get back to the discussion tonight.
                        I believe you are referring to Grace Under Pressure, not Ripple Effect.
                        SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer
                          As much as I believe that Carter, Daniel, and Tealc would bring in the viewers with just the three of them and a trying a new team member each trip to add some spark until they found the perfect fit. They would also require some good story lines to go with.Now that would bring in the viewers. They really don't need a ship to get people interest. Sometimes just having good friends is all that is needed. That they truly are it sure seems anyway.

Just commenting on my post that you commented on - should have kept my silent hope to myself as the ratings didn't even come close to what I hoped they would - oh well . . . .

Comment

Food for thought for those down on Mitchell and eventually Vala. The way I'm seeing SG1 at the moment is that bringing in the new characters is like the first season of a new show...they have to find their footing and for most shows, the first season is like that. Even with the regulars, they're going to be off for a bit (possibly most of the season if not all of it) until TPTB get their ducks in a row that works for them. I see the newbies and the regulars as kind of a blended family. This is the "first year of marriage" and they are all gonna be out of whack, but does that mean they should give up on the marriage? IMHO, no. It could take years for this blended family to get the kinks worked out, if they get them all worked out.

Granted, I've not watched every single eps or watched as much as most of you have, but I still enjoy the show and am willing to give TPTB the chance to work things out. No I don't know any of the history of how TPTB have done the fans wrong, but there's history like that with ANY show. I simply remind myself that the show is NOT my baby but that it is TPTB's baby and they will know what's best for it, even if I don't agree. Any show whether in it's first season or 8th season is going to go through periods of changes. Some fans are not going to like the changes and leave the show altogether, some fans are not going to like the changes and still stick with the show (trust me, there were changes to FS that I didn't like, but I stuck with it and am glad I did). There are also fans who will like the changes.

I think this new family will work out, guess I'm just a little more patient that I thought I was. Between the agony of FS and TLW (another show I love) being cancelled and eventually getting a wrap up of sorts for FS, I've learned to be more patient with shows I love. It's coming in handy for me right now with SG1.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                              Actually, if you've ever watched "The Incredibles" you'd know that capes= death! <weg> They always get in the way and hung up on stuff or get you sucked into the plane's turbines.
                              Sorry, couldn't resist. Capes are bad luck for any superhero.
                              But...but...what about Superman? and Batman? and and umm and Storm. Yeah Storm! Oooooh oooh, and what about Huntress. They all had capes. Sam looks good in a cape. I bet she'd look really good in a mask too!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                But...but...what about Superman? and Batman? and and umm and Storm. Yeah Storm! Oooooh oooh, and what about Huntress. They all had capes. Sam looks good in a cape. I bet she'd look really good in a mask too!

NO CAPES!! Sam can have a mask though. Masks are cool. Do you really want to see SuperSam sucked into the turbines of a plane? It's not a pretty picture...trust me. Besides, those capes are all for show...they don't really help those supers (well, it helps them get sucked into a plane's engine). SuperSam doesn't need a flashy, showy cape. Least not in this fan's humble opinion.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X