Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    You know, I don't really want them to get rid of Mitchell. Despite a brief desire last night to see
    Spoiler:
    the Jaffa blow him away to teach him a lesson about abandoning one's team,
    I just want him to be written as a consistently competent military officer.

I don't want him to be written as SuperMitchell, or frat-boy Mitchell... I want him to be written as someone I might have a little respect for. We've been given glimpses of that person. But they aren't writing him in a consistent fashion at all. Except, maybe, consistently bad. (Is he supposed to be the hero or is he the comedic relief? In most programs, you can usually tell who is who. He just seems to flop around from one extreme to the other, switching personalities between scenes. )

Really, it's like the writers are trying too hard.

There were a lot of redeeming things about Stronghold... Sam in command being one of them. I really don't understand why people argue she can't hold her own in a command position. I thought her scenes were very believable and well played. She sure as heck came across as a better, more responsible leader than Cam did in the battle scene. I truly thought she rocked.
    Maybe the writers and PDL are secret fans of the now CANCELLED Farscape, and want their favourite character Chriton back. Wasn't that character OTT too? Maybe someone should remind TPTB that farscape was CANCELLED, and if they keep this up unfortuneately Stargate might be headed down the same road.
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago when Atlantis started where the writers mentioned the difference between writing O’Neill and writing Sheppard. If I remember correctly, they said something to the effect that RDA didn’t want to be written as the hero, or heroic, but now they could write that type of role for Sheppard. If you think about it, for all those years, Jack was truly a hero without having to do the type of thing that Mitchell did in Stronghold. He did heroic things, but he seemed to be a reluctant hero in a way. He would sacrifice himself before he would allow anyone on his team be hurt, but when he performed a potentially dangerous act, it seemed reasoned, not reckless. That was true of everyone else on the team as well.

As we’ve said before on this thread, RDA’s unselfish attitude made the show into more of a four person ensemble than a star driven vehicle, and allowed MS, AT, and CJ to be more than just wallpaper. If he also advocated a more subtle approach to demonstrating courage and leadership, as demonstrated by O’Neill’s actions over the years, his influence in that regard is sorely missed right now.

I think that RDA’s humor is sadly missed now as well. Over the years, I believe RDA did quite a bit of ad-libbing, until the writers got to the point that they could anticipate some of his humor and write in his “voice.” In other words, they had a blueprint to go by when they wanted to lighten things up. With Mitchell, they haven’t got that, I don’t think. Do we know how much of the humor we’re hearing this season is scripted and how much is ad-libbed? Does anyone know if TPTB for Farscape allowed ad-libbing, and if so, did Ben do much?

NC

Comment

Happy Birthday Coley

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
          I remember reading an article a couple of years ago when Atlantis started where the writers mentioned the difference between writing O’Neill and writing Sheppard. If I remember correctly, they said something to the effect that RDA didn’t want to be written as the hero, or heroic, but now they could write that type of role for Sheppard. If you think about it, for all those years, Jack was truly a hero without having to do the type of thing that Mitchell did in Stronghold. He did heroic things, but he seemed to be a reluctant hero in a way. He would sacrifice himself before he would allow anyone on his team be hurt, but when he performed a potentially dangerous act, it seemed reasoned, not reckless. That was true of everyone else on the team as well.

As we’ve said before on this thread, RDA’s unselfish attitude made the show into more of a four person ensemble than a star driven vehicle, and allowed MS, AT, and CJ to be more than just wallpaper. If he also advocated a more subtle approach to demonstrating courage and leadership, as demonstrated by O’Neill’s actions over the years, his influence in that regard is sorely missed right now.

I think that RDA’s humor is sadly missed now as well. Over the years, I believe RDA did quite a bit of ad-libbing, until the writers got to the point that they could anticipate some of his humor and write in his “voice.” In other words, they had a blueprint to go by when they wanted to lighten things up. With Mitchell, they haven’t got that, I don’t think. Do we know how much of the humor we’re hearing this season is scripted and how much is ad-libbed? Does anyone know if TPTB for Farscape allowed ad-libbing, and if so, did Ben do much?

NC
          My understanding is that BB ad-libed a lot.
          But I dont know this for a fact only from his fans.
          Sometimes fans can over exaggerate the amount of ad-libbing their favorite actor does so its hard to tell. I am not sure RDA did all of the adlibing some people give him credit for but who knows.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I think you're absolutely right on all of that NC.

Also I think that RDA's subtle and wry humour cut through gender biases, ship biases, and many other biases.

It's kind of cliche, but you really don't know what you have till you lose it.... and he's very sorely missed, at least by me.

Made this a while back, kind of an expression of that.

NC
            sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday Coley
              "Y'know, I can be as diplomatic and open-minded as anyone."
              Colonel Jack O'Neill

Comment

NC

Great post NC. Don't know a lot about Bens time on Farscape but I have heard he did some ad-libbing on the show. He said at the Farscape Con this year that he was not doing much on Stargate that he was sticking mainly to what was written for him. He did not feel as the new guy it was his right to come into a established show and throw around his ideas (very loose paraphrase). He did say he like any actor has made some suggestions on his character this season but not many. He did write some on Farscape but that was after he was asked to do so - someone asked at the con if he wanted to write/would he be writing for Stargate and he said he had not been asked to do that - but if he was asked in the future he would cross that bridge when it came. I really think after reading interviews with Ben and hearing him at the con that Ben has really tried to make the transition into Stargate as smooth as possible. He said at the con it is the writers job to create the script and his job to act what is written not rewrite it. (again I'm paraphrasing and Sunkrux I'm sure can add more)
                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COLEY!!!
                  My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

NC

Comment

Come on Sam, we're millions of lightyears away from home, I'm sure Jack will never find out.
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1

Come on Sam, we're millions of lightyears away from home, I'm sure Jack will never find out.
                        But Rodney, Hermy will rat us out to Thor.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          Spoiler:

Mitchell? *shakes head in uttter disappointment* It truly saddens me to see what they have done to this character and the worst part is I just think it's going to continue to get worse.

If you look at the spoilers for Arthur's Mantle ....

When he learns of the attack on the Sodan by the treacherous Volnek, Colonel Mitchell himself decides to use his new invisibility -- and invincibility -- to hunt him down.

What happened to the Mitchell I saw in the first half of Avalon? Why are they suddenly making him appear as a hot head who can't control his emotions long enough to think clearly. He obviously was not thinking about his obligations as a leader or the welfare of his team and the many others men and women who were there to offer SG-1 back-up. I truly hope that they don't make him look as badly in AM as they have so far in Prototype and Stronghold, because this is really starting to be very hard to watch. They are making Mitchell out to be a joke and a disgrace to the uniform that he wears. I can not believe that after fourteen episode, we are still trying to figure out why exactly he was given command of SG-1. I would honestly be shocked to know that the show still has USAF support this season after seeing how Mitchell behaved in this last episode.

Kat
                          Spoiler:
                          Yeah, when I first read that I thought that bit you quoted was strange, but honestly just chalked it up to some poorly worded spoilers. Yes, it reads like Mitchell just decides to embark on a mission of personal vengence all on his own, despite his compromised state. But until last night's episode, I never really believed that the story would actually be written that way. I still hope it's not. After all, the big to-do over Carter and Mitchell discussing the secrecy of the SGC in Stronghold was all over nothing. However, I'm a lot more worried about Arthur's Mantle now, and Mitchell's character in general, than I was before last night's episode. Wow, I still can't get over how totally out of character the Mitchell Superhero sequence was for SG-1 the show.

Comment

!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY COLEY!!

many hugs from me, and I hope you have a great day dear Royal Accountant of Samanda.
                            love,
                            deep

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Actually I didnt mind Stronghold
                              Spoiler:
                              Sure the Mitchell Action Hero scene was extremely lame, but the kick arse Soldier!Sam more than made up for it Hooah! Did she rock OR WHAT!

And the Sam/Cam and Teal'c/Cam moments were good too

And I believe you all know my thoughts on Grace Under Pressure already

Comment

NC
                                YES! The definitive Samandan Birthday Cake ... how great to see it again!

Comment

Working...
                                X