Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    A story arc such as this would cause huge tears in the fan base, and would hurt too many people. These issues need to be dealt with, yes, but in a more suitable, more prepared arena, like that of drama or soap opera shows, not in an escapist sci-fi arena.
    I can't agree with that, Tracy. I empathize with the intensity of emotion involved. But I don't think sci-fi is an escapist medium. I think it's a realm of conjecture; an expansion of reality with the rare and unlimited potential to tackle virtually any creative trajectory. Even the tough stuff.

I don't watch soap-operas because I find them mauldin and over-dramatized, I think they're way over the top on those sorts of issues.

And I suppose at the end of the day, everyone has their own personal viewing preferences when it comes to the subjective realm of "good sci-fi". Some like it light and some like it dark, some like a mix of both; some want to escape and others want to expand upon the possibilities of reality with a basis in truth (or the potential thereof).

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to want the stories to be told, only a personal preference for whatever we each feel we'd prefer to see. Hence it's so difficult to tell a story that pleases everyone, all of the time. Or one that does not upset some people more than others, when a difficult subjectmatter is tackled.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
      I can't agree with that, Tracy. I empathize with the intensity of emotion involved. But I don't think sci-fi is an escapist medium. I think it's a realm of conjecture; an expansion of reality with the rare and unlimited potential to tackle virtually any creative trajectory. Even the tough stuff...
      I think scifi can be escapist. It is certainly all those things you mention, as well. The idea of Stargate being escapist for me, however, is not that it is scifi, but that that is what Stargate is to me. I don't particularly look at a genre with certain expectations, but once a show is categorized in my mind, I generally look to that show to stay mostly within that arena. It's the show, not the genre, that I categorize as to what I am watching it for. It could stray occasionally, but having Sam be a victim of rape should have such an impact on the character, and those that care about her, that it would color the hue of most of the resultant shows. And that's not what I want from Stargate. Just my opinion, and I'd watch even if they decided to go that route, but from where I stand right now. it's not what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
        It could stray occasionally, but having Sam be a victim of rape should have such an impact on the character, and those that care about her, that it would color the hue of most of the resultant shows. And that's not what I want from Stargate. Just my opinion, and I'd watch even if they decided to go that route, but from where I stand right now. it's not what I want.
        Me neither. I completely agree. And for most of the same reasons you just outlined.

Comment

Im back hows it goin troops

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            you guys have to go and have all this cool convo while i'm asleep, no fair

as to rape on the show. i doubt they'll ever do it, even though it is something that is a very real threat. back in the 'good old days' raping the women was considered a spoil of war. if your side lost and you were female, you hid or you were taken. it was far, far more common than it is now and, i think, a lot in life that most women expected

and since they're exploring 'primitive' planets, then yeah it would be a very real threat, possibly only mitigated by any male having a 'not messing wtih an alien' quirk

but not only do they not deal with it on the show, i really don't want them to. these boys can barely write sam in a functional relationship without turning her into some charicture of a fanboy fantasy, you really think they can tackle the real issues of such a traume?????

like folks have said, emancipation was glossed over, abyss was glossed over, fifth was glossed over, daniel adn replicarter was glossed over, meta was glossed over, etc, etc, etc,

in fact, i think the ONLY nod they've ever had towards dealing wtih trauma was the end if itlod, and that was a bare pittance adn kinda came across as a 'well, we do have a couple of minutes left'

these writers seem to be incapable of adequately dealing with any sort of emotional trauma to the characters, so no, don't let them handle something like this cause they can't.

and i'd rather have them not do it at all than have them do it totally frelled up
            I agree.

Like I said in my earlier post, her mind was raped with Jolinar and Fifth and we saw her come to terms with those events...and how would "compartmentalized/everything in its place" Carter handle something so jarring? We know Amanda could pull the nuances off and be stunning. But could the writers give her good material to work with?

The point of my earlier post was actually that if they did it, this is what I think should be done to be fair and honest and true to the trauma.

But further...and I didn't put this in my post...I don't think they ever would do it. First of all, I don't think they're brave enough to broach such a serious topic...and secondly, I don't think they're savvy enough to know how to write it long term and do it justice. IF they did it, it would be a one off with no long term reprocussions.

Like you said, they'd frell it up.

So I'd rather they didn't try to do this or any other real or meaningful or serious or compelling or traumatic storylines because they don't do them justice. But hey, doesn't Mitchell look hot in his shorts??? And look at our really cool spaceships!!!

Long story short, I don't think they'd do it and I'm glad they won't because they wouldn't do it justice.
            Last edited by Uber; 27 January 2006, 08:46 AM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I think scifi can be escapist.
              Yes, it can be. But my point was that the genre as a whole isn't inherantly mandated to just that one particular purpose. Its potential is much bigger and more diverse than that. If that makes more sense?

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                But further...and I didn't put this in my post...I don't think they ever would do it. First of all, I don't think they're brave enough to broach such a serious topic...and secondly, I don't think they're savvy enough to know how to write it long term and do it justice. IF they did it, it would be a one off with no long term reprocussions.
                That's it, Ooober. Nail, meet head. And for that reason, I think we're safely going to remain in the campy realm of under-developed character angst within SG-1 for the long-term future. Ergo... there'll certainly be no worries about any angst-overload for our favorite characters any time soon. Status-quo, here we go. And where SG-1 is concerned as a series, I'm just fine with that too.

Comment

Yes, it can be. But my point was that the genre as a whole isn't inherantly mandated to just that one particular purpose. Its potential is much bigger and more diverse than that. If that makes more sense?
                  Yes, it does. I think the only reason I pulled that out of what you said is that escapist is the term I was going to use when I was first trying to assemble my thoughts on the rape subject. I'm sure I over-emphasized the point in my response. Sorry if I misrepresented what you were saying!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                    ... But hey, doesn't Mitchell look hot in his shorts??? ...
                    I realize what you are saying and this wasn't really the point, but it was Mitchell in his shorts...

Comment

Yes, it does. I think the only reason I pulled that out of what you said is that escapist is the term I was going to use when I was first trying to assemble my thoughts on the rape subject. I'm sure I over-emphasized the point in my response. Sorry if I misrepresented what you were saying!
                      Nah.

I get pre-occupied with trying to clarify myself sometimes, too. Half the time I wonder if it cruel of me to even subject people to my rambling thought-spew sessions. lol Ah well...

Comment

LOL - actually...

Spoiler:
                        Taking into account the sheer number of realities we've already seen where Sam and Jack area already snoggin' (including this one!! *g*) - it'd be more likely the scene would go:

Jack: Does that mean that somewhere out there, there's a reality where you and I DIDN'T spend last night ... (he leans over and whispers something inaudible into her ear)
                        Sam: (blushing) Theoretically... (she looks up at him with a sly smile) ... but I doubt it.

minigeek
                        Anti-shipper jckfan runs away screaming.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          i'd like to know the background on their relay too. but i DON'T want it to go shippy for them. i don't think it will actually.

did they meet at the academy together? how long have they known each other?

i'd like it if they were distant cousins or something.

have you ever tried to get yourself excited by something that is burning out for you? and it's burning out because of a lack of tlc for it? stargate used to be prime rib, now it's a nice hamburger combo at mcdonalds.

i tried getting a good convo going for us with 'what are you excited by in an upcoming ep?', but... i don't really think most of us 'are' excited by much because we know the writers aren't going to do their best with sam carter. that is beyond sad.

sally
                          Well with their Dads both being AF, maybe the Dads were in the same command & they met at picnics or something. I don't like the idea of them being related, though it would nix s/cam nicely.

Comment

I'm making my 200th post and I wanted to make sure that I did it on this list. Because while I may not post here all the time, Sam is my favorite character. And AT does an amazing job portraying her. I can't imagine having Stargate without her.

I'm looking forward to tonights SG-1 and Atlantis episode. Two episodes of Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              here's a question for you guys. (and a very top topic too)

would you have wanted to see a sam-rape story on stargate?

my answer: yes. BUT, *only* if it would have been written well (as in a woman writing it) AND it would have had reprocussions to it (as in following up that this event had lasting impressions). too many big things have happened to sam over time that have not been shown to have lasting impacts.

thoughts?
                              sally
                              Although it would be realistic for Sam to have had to face that particular possibility, I don't think I want to go that realistic. And secondly, I doubt they'd get a writer who could handle that storyline well.

Comment

Mainstream television often tends to drop the difficult stuff, or gloss over it. Add that to the fact that the western hemisphere is a society which villifies sexuality (in many regards) and there's a push not to over-dramatize those kinds of issues (either tender or traumatic) too.

I always felt that what Ba'al did to Jack was such a profound kind of torture, it would have scarred him for a very long time. What Sam went through with Jolinar, Daniel's rape (in Hathor) - I agree with you Kat - none of it was "dealt with". And I don't think they ever planned to or wanted to deal with it.

We see so much violence and torture on television these days, it's almost become normal for our viewing habits, to watch someone hurt or maimed in a military situation between 8 and 9 pm prime time (how sad is that?)..
                                Thanks for continuing to discuss your POV mini. It helps us shape our thoughts and opinions. *coughs* and while I sneakingly *cough* extend my lunch by a wee bit ... I popped back in to see what further discussion has gone on...

And in seeing those glossed over generic images it does become easy to become desensitized to the violence and torture in the media. Usually it's not happening to you (the general you), it's not happening to your loved ones, it has no impact on you... until you're personally faced with it in RL or choose to be part of a throught-provoking process that takes you there (a movie, a fictional or factual account...).
                                Carter's character has gone through a great deal in the past decade, and the comment that was raised regarding her no longer seeing things with the same "joy" she once did is, I think, very apt.

By the same token, one wonders, where does a character go from that point? What other road(s) are there to travel which can just as powerfully impact the way they look at their lives and their choices (the growth aspects we need, as viewers, to see). Is there an "end" of the road? And if so, when is it reached?
                                This second paragraph is wonderful. (And I can't green you! I've tried on the other posts & darn thing says I have to spread the lurve before I can! )

It's true, when they're jaded where do they go? Same with us in RL. Where do we go? Do we move on to newer unknown experiences and roads or do we stay stuck in the comfortable known rutted road? Never any endings, just new beginnings.
                                When Sam Carter, Daniel Jackson, Teal'c and Jack have "been there, done that, seen everything, done everything", where can we take them (if we're writing them), in terms of a new direction? If innocence is irrevocably lost, what makes life worth living and discovery worth persuing? Is this the trap that the current writers have fallen into?

Questions, questions. I think about those kinds of things with respect to SG-1 and its characters (especially Carter's character) a great deal while I'm considering the future of her character and the show as a whole. And I wonder. A lot.

mini(more philosophical than usual this morning, I guess)geek
                                I get pre-occupied with trying to clarify myself sometimes, too. Half the time I wonder if it cruel of me to even subject people to my rambling thought-spew sessions. lol Ah well...
                                LOL! And no it's not cruel... it's fun and opens up the door to lots of interesting thought provoking discussion! Thank you! (((mg)))

Now I have to get back to work... No more popping back and forth between this reply box & the RL work in the other window!!!
                                Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                                My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Working...
                                X