No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Seen Ripple Effect, and I think I'll get lynched for what I'm about to say.

Spoiler:
    First up, it was a fantastic episode, very Carter centric, but there were slight problems for me. First of all I don't think we got to see enough AU Sams, only Black Carter... when I say enough, I mean time wise, not number wise. Also the Sam/Janet interaction was missing and that last maternity leave bit was a cop out.

But more than that... did anyone else notice that a lot of the time, Sam looked like a rabbit in the headlights? Just totally sheepish and uncomfortable. Very quiet. I can't place it. It's almost as if the compassion and kindness of our Carter was hightened, with her toughness taken away, to highlight differences between the Sams. I dunno. It's all a bit off for me.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Oh and next week's episode, Stronghold, looks to have some great stuff in it. You can watch the preview here: www.scifi.com/stargate.
      Spoiler:
      From that little preview vid it looks as if Sam is leading the rescue mission to find Teal'c! SOLDIER!SAM. HOOAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        Whee, just watched Ripple Effect again - it's definitely a keeper
        Spoiler:
        And I am totally convinced there was a Sam/Janet reference. Last scene, where Sam ask's Martouf why her AU self was absent from his team, and he defers the answer to Janet with a smile on his face. Maternity Leave... Janet grinning... Sam and Janet hugging... need I say more?
        Then that certainly makes for
        Spoiler:
        an interesting pregancy

Just sayin
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

His theory is
          Spoiler:
          ivf treatment.
          leave him in AD land. It provides much needed entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Whee, just watched Ripple Effect again - it's definitely a keeper
            Spoiler:
            And I am totally convinced there was a Sam/Janet reference. Last scene, where Sam ask's Martouf why her AU self was absent from his team, and he defers the answer to Janet with a smile on his face. Maternity Leave... Janet grinning... Sam and Janet hugging... need I say more?
            Yours is the exact same reaction I had, Agent_Dark!

What is "AD Land"?

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
              Yours is the exact same reaction I had, Agent_Dark!

What is "AD Land"?
              Agent Dark Land. It's a fantasy world only he inhabits. Although it seems the population has increased to two.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76

I also enjoyed "our" Sam a lot this time.
                Spoiler:
                Like the "I got nothin' -- yet" at the very beginning ...

I guess, what I liked the most about this ep was how much AT seemed to enjoy it herself. She seemed just so, I don't know, cheerful, which totally translated onto the screen. If nothing else, I thank JM for giving AT an opportunity to show off her comedic talents, and OMG, this woman is funny. She has perfect timing and it just seemed so natural! I really hope that AT gets to use her comedic talent more in upcoming episodes. Not that I don't like her serious and thoughtful performances like in Grace. But AT has so much talent, it'd be a shame not to use every bit of it.

Anyways, for those of you who haven't seen RE, I think you are in for a real treat, even considering some of the episode's shortcomings as pointed out by others, because it is just such a joy to watch AT perform.
                I've been busy this weekend but skimming all the posts re: RE and, yes Dani, you seem to sum it up quite nicely: this was AT at the top of her game! How wonderful and refreshing to see that again! She was in such fine form: delivery of lines, gestures, nailing all the multiple Sams with just the right touch at the right moment, and, for once, she didn't have to overplay the angst or play backup ... classic Sam Carter! Bring it on! Hope there's more in the writer's bag from where this came from.

I, too, thought the editing wasn't the best. I don't know where you guys found the "deleted scenes" (haven't found them myself) but I can't believe that the initial moment of Sam seeing Janet again was left on the cutting-room floor or never even written/shot! And the continual ambiguous use of Sam's shippy choices (was it Jack?! was it Pete?!) also was a letdown. The writers should be willing and brave enough to just write the logical conclusion that many are expecting without this protracted teasing.

The cast interaction was mostly good and fun to watch as many of you have already written. Teal'c extending the "come back" to Janet at the very end was moving and hopeful. Making Martouf a part of Janet's AU SG team seemed to leave room for him to return also. The "almost kiss" still puzzles me ... and seemed extraneous. More unneeded ambiguity. Sam addressing her regret at having to kill him - yes, that would have been powerful. They addressed Janet's death. This could have been a two-parter ...

I'm happy because I saw a Sam who was both relaxed and self-confident, using her skills well, enjoying the camaraderie of her team and ready to deliver when needed! See Sammy run!!

Comment

No complaints about AT. She did a fantastic job.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    Agent Dark Land. It's a fantasy world only he inhabits. Although it seems the population has increased to two.
                    Yes let's leave AD in fantasy land,
                    Spoiler:
                    I thought the end of the show with Janet referring to maternity leave, making us wonder "Who's your daddy?" Well JACK of course. But TPTB were probably thinking of Cam
                    but that's just MHO
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

No.
                      Spoiler:
                      JM wasn't referring to Cam. He had a gag reflex to that one. JM wrote the script, and he's a J/S shipper. I thought at one point they meant Pete.... especially for the honeymoon bit.

Comment

No.
                        Spoiler:
                        JM wasn't referring to Cam. He had a gag reflex to that one. JM wrote the script, and he's a J/S shipper. I thought at one point they meant Pete.... especially for the honeymoon bit.
                        see, here i was thinking that, since teal'c was gone, he was on paternity leave with sam
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Whatever.

So
                          Spoiler:
                          the Carter in Janet's reality is on maternity leave because she's a child with her base commander. Nice. If that's the case, I'm glad not to have met her.
                          Last edited by DEM; 22 January 2006, 07:26 AM.

Comment

No complaints about AT. She did a fantastic job.
                            yeah, no complaints about her. i still, well if i was editing,
                            Spoiler:
                            i woulda lost all the sam/marty bits and left in the sam/janet/cassie mentions. i mean, sam and marty have been dead in the water for years while janet's demise is recent and fresh and a definite sore spot among fans. instead of stirring things up, why not take this rare opportunity to settle things and 'fix' some of the perceived lapses of the past couple of years
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                              Whatever.

So
                              Spoiler:
                              the Carter in Janet's reality is on maternity leave because she's having her base commander's child. Nice. If that's the case, I'm glad not to have met her.
                              Maybe they have different rules . But I agree that seems like evidence against.

Spoiler:
                              I like Skydivers Teal'c idea .
                              Hey did anyone else get the impression that Janet was in charge of her team, or was that just me?

Also did anyone else notice Carter giving black (faking green) Mitchell orders on the Promie.. Did black Mitchell just assume that Green Mitchell took orders from Carter? Because there was nothing about science in that situation so Mitchell should have been the one deciding the strategic plan of attack and giving the oders in that situation if he was fully in charge, shouldn't he?

Just sayin.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we first practice
                                to pair Sam up with every male in the universe
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X