• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack: Your right Skydiver, Daniel would never fill out that dress
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

My own two cents on the pics are that they should be removed. I'm not of the belief that just because Olivia walked (or was carried) out the front door that she's suddenly fair game for whoever wants to plaster her image all over the web. Amanda's obviously made a decision to exist somewhat in the public eye, but has also kept her daughter out of it thus far. And if RDA did impel reporters to NOT to photograph her, then I'm rather put off by our ignoring that request simply because he hasn't made it directly to us. I'm also put off by the fact that these photos were taken and made available at all, given expressed wishes to the contrary. It's a level of intrusion with which I'm neither comfortable nor happy to see.

Comment

Regarding any star's known or unknown request to remove information regarding their private life, as a fan who respects the actor's right to a private life, I think any references to their private life shouldn't be discussed, period. I don't care that there are photos out on the net from a public event. Sadly some fans (no one here) seem to think that just because an actor attends a charity or big Hollyweird event and photos are taken gives them the right to plaster said photos all over. Gee, you think the fact that the photographer/studio has an image of their logo all over the image would mean something.

Ok, getting back on topic....

Since we know Sam has access to tons of advanced technology, if she could invent one thing using said technology, what do you think she'd invent
        1- something to help save humanity (i.e. -rid the world of all disease)
        2- a time machine to go back and change any mistakes she's made that resulted in someone getting hurt or killed
        3- something to help save the world (i.e - to keep the planet safe from any and all bombs, threats from other planets and from each other)
        4- grab bag (you come up with something)

Have fun kids! I'll be back later with an answer.
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
          Ok, getting back on topic....

Since we know Sam has access to tons of advanced technology, if she could invent one thing using said technology, what do you think she'd invent
          1- something to help save humanity (i.e. -rid the world of all disease)
          2- a time machine to go back and change any mistakes she's made that resulted in someone getting hurt or killed
          3- something to help save the world (i.e - to keep the planet safe from any and all bombs, threats from other planets and from each other)
          4- grab bag (you come up with something)

Have fun kids! I'll be back later with an answer.
          she would go for 1 or 3. never 2. not after how she reacted in moebius when
          Spoiler:
          she wouldn't allow jack & the boys to take on the jaffa to get the time ship back. if she wouldn't do that, thus marooning them in the past, she wouldn't mess with time
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            she would go for 1 or 3. never 2. not after how she reacted in moebius when
            Spoiler:
            she wouldn't allow jack & the boys to take on the jaffa to get the time ship back. if she wouldn't do that, thus marooning them in the past, she wouldn't mess with time
            Yup, yup. I agree completely.

My LJ

Comment

as to the photos issue, i can see it both ways. yes, she's an actress and publicity comes part and parcel with the job. thus, it's to be presumed that folks will be interested in factes of her life outside of the set.

however she has kept olivia low key since the beginning. IIRC, the birth wasn't even announced until a coupel of weeks later, thus insuring that she has as much privacy as possible before making it 'official'

yet we're not talking about someone hanging out across the street from her house and peeping in the windows with a zooom lens. she was ata public even, which had the press there with thier photographers.

thus, if the idea was for no pictures to exist, well then olivia should have been kept somewhere else, out of the 'line of fire' as it is. it'd be teh same if there was a convention and AT brought her out on stage then told folks 'hey no pictures' or 'don't look'.....if the goal is to keep her away from things, then she needs to be kept away from things.

I do wholeheartedly agree with them wanting to protect thier kids. but....just like when rda brought wylie to the set with him when he was on the wayne brady show...and she got on air because she was there, this is kinda the same thing.

I fully support not spreading the pictures around. but i totally understand the interest too. those of us that read interviews have heard her talking about olivia for the better part of a year and are naturally curious.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                i would say kirking is sleeping with aliens, or having sex on an away mission (off world in the case of stargate). getting involved with someone at the drop of...well any article of clothing really, without any real relationship being involved. basically what kirk did on the original star trek, and to a lesser extent the animated series.

but thats just my opinion and interpretation. i think if its just someone having a crush on you it should be called spocking.
                I have to agree. Kirking definitely involves reciprocation on the part of the one doing the "kirking". 8) Sam definitely "spocks", but I have yet to see her "kirk".
                sigpic

Comment

lol, that is a way to put it.

kirking is, well it requires full participation on both parties.
                  coll damaga and epiphany spoilers
                  Spoiler:
                  for example, both cam and shep got some kirking done last friday. they were shagging the natives. jack kirked laira, teal'c certainly kirked sho'nac...sam, well sam's only kirked pete on screen and jonas H by presumption

sigpic

Comment

Sky, rationally what you're saying is true. And certainly from a public/forum freedom of speech POV it's true.

But I think you also have to look at it this way. The actor is the celebrity, they're the ones who "put themselves out there". And yes, every time they show up in public with their family, they run the risk of having added exposure therein. They know that.

But it's also an established (if unwritten) rule of the legitimate, respectable press that small children of celebrity icons are (by and large), only to be photographed and placed in exposed situations if the parent(celebrity) approves.

That would be the reason the press core aceeded to RDA's request that photos cease when he and Amanda played with Olivia. (Photos like that, if they are randomly taken and published willy-nilly, can (and sadly often do) lead to the kind of inane tabloid speculation that can end up insinuating false facts about the two of them, while playing with the baby, all manner of false rumors, etc)).

You're right, Sky, it's a celebrity lifestyle and a risk that anyone who enters the proverbial "limelight" takes. But there's a good reason the (respectable) media won't take unsolicited photographs of famous children unless invited to do so.

One has to imagine that it's us in that situation; ourselves or our children whom we'd rather not have pixelated, speculated-upon photography blown up, enhanced, posted and/or linked to running commentaries across the internet or in unsolicited, intrusive articles.

Even the journalists of the world respect that when it comes to small children, their (celebrity) parents should still have the final say about publication shots.

A fan taking unsolicited photos of Olivia (for example) and posting them on the web is really no different than some paprazzi with that telephoto lens you mentioned. Except the fan's intention might be perfectly pure, they may not realize the breach in privacy/etiquette which the professional photojournalists on the scene were honor-bound to hold to.

There's a reason we didn't have magazine photos of Olivia, RDA and AT - because the press at the function was asked not to take them and did not do so.

When it comes to little children, there's a higher code of conduct and morality that simply "is". The parent's wishes come first, celebrity or not, in the eyes of anyone who respects them (as people, beyond the public ICONS they've become due to their professional lives).

mini

as to the photos issue, i can see it both ways. yes, she's an actress and publicity comes part and parcel with the job. thus, it's to be presumed that folks will be interested in factes of her life outside of the set.

however she has kept olivia low key since the beginning. IIRC, the birth wasn't even announced until a coupel of weeks later, thus insuring that she has as much privacy as possible before making it 'official'

yet we're not talking about someone hanging out across the street from her house and peeping in the windows with a zooom lens. she was ata public even, which had the press there with thier photographers.

thus, if the idea was for no pictures to exist, well then olivia should have been kept somewhere else, out of the 'line of fire' as it is. it'd be teh same if there was a convention and AT brought her out on stage then told folks 'hey no pictures' or 'don't look'.....if the goal is to keep her away from things, then she needs to be kept away from things.

I do wholeheartedly agree with them wanting to protect thier kids. but....just like when rda brought wylie to the set with him when he was on the wayne brady show...and she got on air because she was there, this is kinda the same thing.

I fully support not spreading the pictures around. but i totally understand the interest too. those of us that read interviews have heard her talking about olivia for the better part of a year and are naturally curious.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

lol, that is a way to put it.

kirking is, well it requires full participation on both parties.
                      So... I see the evolution of this word already... kirk, to be kirked, kirking... Kirk you!

More amusing... Gosh, I think I've just been spocked. Or does that work?

My LJ

Comment

Guys, I'm going to add my tuppence worth (actually, that seems a little overpriced to me).

The fan in question took these pictures, and she put the logos over them to try and avoid others snurching them. She also stated clearly on the thunk thread that she didn't want links to the photos posting anywhere else, thus maintaining limited privacy. She's seen one of her heroes and it's natural for her to want to share this with her friends.

As for Amanda and Olivia. I've been as curious as the rest of you, genuinely interested in what Olivia looks like and how she's doing. Although to some extent I agree that if Amanda didn't want pictures of her daughter everywhere, she would have kept the angel indoors, you also have to see it from the standpoint that she shouldn't HAVE to keep her daughter indoors. They deserve time together like everyone else.

But, at the end of the day, the press were asked to stay away whilst Rick and Amanda were playing with Olivia, not at other times. It seems that they wanted a little privacy to play in the snow at one point, but the press weren't banned altogether, by the sounds of things, just at that point.

I know everyone here is protective of Amanda and Olivia, but I think banning a link of fan photos is excessive. Were it a notoriously bad tabloid site, or if Amanda had requested for all photos of her little girl to remain private, then I would agree. I don't believe that the pictures should be posted directly on the thread, like our Sam and convention pics, but I don't see the harm in a link.

Perhaps, however, if some fans feel strongly about this, we could remove the links from Samanda and just say "there is a link in the RDA Thunk Thread" which also keeps into account the wishes of the original photographer.

As for "Would Sam Create A Timemachine?" For scientific interest and to look into the quantum physics involved, yes. To use, no. We all saw Moebius.
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                          So... I see the evolution of this word already... kirk, to be kirked, kirking... Kirk you!

More amusing... Gosh, I think I've just been spocked. Or does that work?
                          Actually, on the STAKS thread, I was saying how my friends and I now use "Kirking Hell" as an everyday term.
                          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but I think this issue is serious enough to repeat the requests and statements made and to publicly show my support.

I'm not saying that the pictures are wrong, or linking to the pictures is wrong. But think about it. If she has gone out of her way to keep pictures of Olivia out of the public, how would she react to seeing us link to them in a very public place? We're supposed to be her respectful fans, and respectfully, while I don't think she'd freak out to know we were linking to these pics, I still don't think it would be her choice that we do so.

As a member of the Royal Security Guard, I'd ask that we remove the link to these pics from this thread.
                            Good call, Strix.

Originally posted by minigeek
                            But it's also an established (if unwritten) rule of the legitimate, respectable press that small children of celebrity icons are (by and large), only to be photographed and placed in exposed situations if the parent(celebrity) approves.

That would be the reason the press core aceeded to RDA's request that photos cease when he and Amanda played with Olivia. (Photos like that, if they are randomly taken and published willy-nilly, can (and sadly often do) lead to the kind of inane tabloid speculation that can end up insinuating false facts about the two of them, while playing with the baby, all manner of false rumors, etc)).
                            [snip]
                            There's a reason we didn't have magazine photos of Olivia, RDA and AT - because the press at the function was asked not to take them and did not do so.

When it comes to little children, there's a higher code of conduct and morality that simply "is". The parent's wishes come first, celebrity or not, in the eyes of anyone who respects them (as people, beyond the public ICONS they've become due to their professional lives).

mini
                            Well said and explained, mini.

Let's just look at it this way: better safe than sorry!!!

There is a strong possibility that Amanda did not want any pictures of Olivia published, that's at least the feeling I get considering what RDA did. So we would be respecting her wishes. And I think that's the least we can do as her fans.

Plus, like somebody said before, there are others out there who might read this and make use of the pictures in an inappropriate way. I for one rather not see any pictures if that means we can avoid any unwanted consequences. (And having said that, I have to admit that I've seen the pictures and that I was very excited to see them, too. Didn' even think until later when I read what RDA had done to avoid this. )

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                              I know everyone here is protective of Amanda and Olivia, but I think banning a link of fan photos is excessive.
                              Nah, I don't think banning the links is what's being called for. We're just discussing the philosophical theory behind the fact (and it is a fact) that it is each person's individual right to decide whether or how they wish to pass along photographs like this.

Having said that, I just remembered something and thought I'd share it. In early December, I was up in Washington DC for an event. Myself and two colleagues and three children were all sitting on a park-bench at one point in a large, open public area, talking and laughing. We were approached by a woman. She introduced herself as being from the Washington Post and asked us if we'd mind if she took our picture with the children while we were there, telling us it might end up in the Post if we did. We agreed and she took several shots of us, then moved along and continued through the park, I think she approached a few more people as well. My point is, she (being a professional photojournalist) came up to us and she asked before she starting taking shots of us across the park. She didn't have to do that, but she did. And it underscores a greater point. There is a certain integrity or morality behind taking unsolicited shots of anyone; not just the small children of celebrities. Stars forgo that right to a large extend when the enter the industry and opt on such a career; their children do not.

It's not that we should ban photographs like the ones aforementioned, it's whether or not we should choose to assist in their distribution.

I tend to look at it this way. I know enough (so-called) "celebrities" as people, that I find it difficult to see an icon anymore. If I know (in any small way) that something I'm posting could end up being an intrusive thing, I'll hold the same standard to that as I would if I really "knew" the person.

If someone (even a fan) is taking photographs of another person and their children across a large (even public) space without their knowledge or consent, I think the resultant photographs should be kept personally and not necessarily distributed; but that's my own (personal) pov on the matter.

I agree with Strix in that regard, and others. Banning the fan photographs isn't the point. This is a much smaller, more personal issue for each individual person who finds access to those photos. Do you forward the link to all your lists and forums, or do you hold off?

That's all.

minigeek
                              (When I saw those photos at first, I thought she'd actually posed with Olivia for a photo op - that little cherub face is just the cutest; baby adorableness all over it!)
                              Last edited by minigeek; 19 January 2006, 10:41 AM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Me too, 1 speed.

I'm serious, though. All it takes is a few people to follow the links in this thread, saving the pics, posting them to their own websites, and BAM, suddenly pics of Olivia are all over the web. Plus, not everyone who visits this thread are fans of Amanda. Some of them are actively NOT friends of Amanda, as evidenced by posts on Joe's blog.

Maybe I'm blowing this way out of proportion, but I feel very strongly that this just isn't a good thing. Maybe it's not a bad thing, but it's not good, either. We're supposed to be Amanda's fans, but somehow I just don't think she'd appreciate this. Maybe she'd shrug it off as inevitable and no harm done... but shouldn't we be more considerate than that?

Tara, CG, parsifal, please go back and edit your posts to remove the link.

Now I'll shut up about it, and not bother you any more.

Ok Strix i've removed the whole post and i do fully understand where you are coming from, i'm afraid that when i linked to the pics of Amanda, Olivia was the last person i expected to see and i was so suprised that, well i posted here without any thought of Amanda's wishes, anyway sorry.
                                ......TARA......

Comment

Working...
                                X