No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i know the amanda q/a chat thinger takes place tomorrow with the amanda tapping club, but does anyone know 'what time'?

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

18h GMT (That's london time)
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        i know the amanda q/a chat thinger takes place tomorrow with the amanda tapping club, but does anyone know 'what time'?

sally
        Noon CST, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          ChopinGal, this is beautiful, as usual. It captures father and daughter perfectly and brought tears to my eyes.
          In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
          so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
          Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
          Hic Comitas Regit
          Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
          Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

i have a question for you guys. i started a thread called 'are the new characters stealing roles? SPOILERS for s9 (and maybe s10)'. i didn't want the thread to be considered negative, enough though the basic topic has a tinge of negativity to it. so my question is - is that thread anti/negative?

(i ask because it's falling apart and has turned into sam vrs mitchell again. and i'm sure i didn't help with me bring it up so much)

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              i have a question for you guys. i started a thread called 'are the new characters stealing roles? SPOILERS for s9 (and maybe s10)'. i didn't want the thread to be considered negative, enough though the basic topic has a tinge of negativity to it. so my question is - is that thread anti/negative?

(i ask because it's falling apart and has turned into sam vrs mitchell again. and i'm sure i didn't help with me bring it up so much)

sally
              Yup,. that thread is anti/negitive S9 in general it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1

I think the best shows showed the team interacting with each other. Even in Emancipation (which Amanda did a wonderful job on), the teams interaction was just as important as Sam fighting the tribe leader. These early shows showed how the team depended on each other, even when saving the world (I've kinda lost count now) it always took more than one character to pull it off.

this is what i want to bring up for those ppl that say that sam is 'only' to play a scientists' role. by the third ep (emancipation), the writers were *showing* that sam was just as much military as scientist. they've also shown she cares about her military career... and so i keep fretting on why she'd not have probs with her new role as second in command. again. going backwards. oy.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                  Yeah.... although I like to secretly think of her as English. She may have been exported, but she was made in Britain!
                  but she's close to the US, so she's american too!

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                    yes you do! don't ruin my deluded stereotypical imagery of a nation! every one in canada says oot and aboot, everyone in england says more tea vicar, everyone in australia requests the presence of shrimp on a "barbie" and is named either bruce or sheila, and all scottish people wear kilts!

furthermore, all italian people say "mamma mia", and i can back this up because i know an italian who actually does say this. texans say "yee haw", french people wear a string of onions around their necks, and just to back all of this up:

top o' the mornin' to ye!
                    Huh ! string of onion around my neck ! Checking, no onions !
                    I wonder where this one comes from. I thought us French people were wandering around wearing a beret and carrying a french bread. And let's not forget that we always eat frogs legs.
                    Mwahahahaha !
                    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Just bumping Samanda back up tp the top
                      Is anyone going to be in Amanda's "chat" tonight? i can't seem to get past the screen of tecno babble and i've done what it tells me on the screen to do!
                      As this PC lark is still all new to me it's very likely me that's not understanding something lol!
                      ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                        Is anyone going to be in Amanda's "chat" tonight? i can't seem to get past the screen of tecno babble and i've done what it tells me on the screen to do!
                        As this PC lark is still all new to me it's very likely me that's not understanding something lol!
                        lol Tara - I saw you enter the chatroom and quit a few minutes later Do whatever you did before, but dont quit this time

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                          Don't worry too much about it - it really isn't so much and anti-thread it's more a thread to nitpick what they don't like about the character - some of it is actually quite amusing. I have been there and read it (and admit I posted about her behaviour during that wretched pete debacle and I blamed TPTB, where the blame belongs since the character is fictional and they make the decisions) but mostly it has been about the character being too perfect or too smart, etc. It degenerated at one point to being about how she looks to young to have done all the things she did, etc. There are a few things off-the-mark but nothing too bad or even mean (not like sony or OS or anything like that, in fact I first thought as you did but it really is kind of funny what they are complaining about, like she is a cry-baby, and people die yadda, yadda, so I jumped in and, sarcastically, said how she was a cry-baby in Meridien and then the person came back and said oh there are exceptions . . . what a joke).

I also said something to the effect that Carter fans can post in there (when some numbnut challenged me for being there) because, unlike fans of OTHER characters, Carter fans are willing to admit when their character is out of sync, or out of character or when tptb make stupid decisions for the character. It's not so bad over there. I think the originator was hoping to get something else going but it didn't work.

Tracy Jane's post sums up that thread with her use of the word quibble:

"I didn't realise there were enough people around to start an Anti-Carter thread! Sure, I have the odd quibble about the way her character has been dealt with in the past few years, but I wouldn't dare post over there.... I'd feel like such a traitor to Samanda."

Also, I hope no one thinks me a traitor - I have plenty of posts on this forum discussing my problems with how Carter has been written the past few seasons, especially 7 and 8. I think, in all honesty, that is what makes the Carter fans so great - they do not sit back and worship the character to the detriment of the character - when they see something they do not like or that they think is out of character and detrimental to the character they say so. They do not just accept anything the character does and love, love, love it. (AT evgen complains about it sometimes as well - a/la affinity and Gemini). Carter fans are mature enough to admit that the character makes mistakes, unlike other fans of other characters who are willing to watch their character bast**ized without complaint and wax themselves hypocritical in the process.

I guess, after reading the rest of the posts here, the title is harsh but while reading it I posted because the posts are not let's get rid of Carter - they are more like the "quibbles" Tracy Jane mentioned, just like mine - it is a complaint, it is a quibble with the character and what the dolts have done with her since S7 - it is not anti and I really have to say most of the posts are not "anti" in the pure sense of the word like the anti-vala thread is anti for them to get rid of her.
                          No way would we ever consider you a traitor bink. I think it's fairly common knowledge that you have very strong feelings about the way the character of Sam has been treated over the later seasons, some of them quite valid, and you have a right to express them, whether here or in another thread. We are also aware that you express your opinions in a very thoughtful way, and only because you actually care about the character.

I get what you are saying about the anti thread not being that bad, but I suppose it's the very idea of a thread that has the word 'anti' in the title that puts me off. If I didn't particularly like one of the other characters in Stargate, I would never dream of starting up a thread saying anti-so-and-so.
                          I also find what they are discussing, while maybe not that harmful or destructive, is, in my opinion, petty. How can someone dislike a character so much that they can't even come up with something worthwhile to criticise them about, that they have to choose the absolute pettiest of arguments to support their case that a character is bad.
                          But anyway, I shall refrain from commenting on the subject anymore. As so many intelligent people here have written, it is better if we focus our attention on Samanda, and allow those who have a different (if in my eyes wrong) opinion about a character to have their own space to write.
                          The only thing that really upset me was that after reading in the Gateworld interview that Amanda actually visited the forum, I realised that AT probably sees these anti-carter titles, and it hurts to know that.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                            Hey Tara. All I did was go to this page
                            http://www.theamandatappingclub.net/chatroom.html
                            put my name where it says Nickname, checked the window size I wanted and then clicked, enter the chat and it put me right into it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                              Huh ! string of onion around my neck ! Checking, no onions !
                              I wonder where this one comes from. I thought us French people were wandering around wearing a beret and carrying a french bread. And let's not forget that we always eat frogs legs.
                              Mwahahahaha !
                              is it true that frog legs tastes like chicken?

(I am a transplanted Pennsylvanian that speaks with a mixture of pittsburgh, philly, milwuakee and toronto and now austin accent-go figure)
                              Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

For those of you who are interested in joining the live chat with Amanda at www.theamandatappingclub.net

The chat begins at 1PM EST or 6PM GST, whichever is easiest for you to remember.

There is a Java window up on the website that will allow you to join the chatroom. To get there simply hit the link below:

Chatroom

if that doesn't work, go to the website and hit the link for Latest News on the right hand side of the screen, that should point you into the direction of the chatrooms.

To use Java to enter the chatroom, you simply enter a nickname that you wish to use and hit the [enter chatroom] button. I would recommend that you don't try to make the screen bigger as I had a lot of diffculty seeing the entire screen when I did so. But you can play around with it before the chat begins, and perhaps you'll make out better than I did. There is a little note on the website that suggest changes you may need to make to your browser/firewall settings should you experience any difficulties using Java to enter the chat. I'd advise everyone to read this information before the chat to make sure you don't have any issues beforehand.

You may also enter the chatroom via mIRC:

IRC server: irc.chat4all.org
                                Port: 6667
                                Channel name: #atclub

To download Mirc

I know AD wrote up a nice little how-to-use-mirc awhile ago. I'll try to find it if I can. Otherwise, I'll try to throw something together unless someone more informed than myself would be willing to do so.

Hope this helps and that we see you at the chat,
                                Kat

Last edited by ForeverSg1; 16 January 2006, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X