Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    sounds like finding excuses for the ptb's writing decisions.
    Originally posted by SunKrux
    Maybe, but can you do better? Considering that all we've heard from the writers/ptb is they are not sure what they are going to do with Sam or where they're going to take her, my explainations seem just as plausible as any anyone else could come up with.
    you know, sun, i could (and have in other posts), but i'm just plain tired/not in the mood to debate sam's merits on the sam's a great character thread right now.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
      Someone had to do it
      With regards to pushing the button that let Anubis II, the 3/5’s ready to Ascend, out of his dormata (dormitory?) and loosed him on the unsuspecting Stargate program, I must disagree. No one had to push the button that let him out and started the actual plot of the ep. All that was needed was the application of a few minutes more thought at the writing stage, and no one would have had to look the fool as poor Mitchell did.

The power in the installation was shown to be, and discussed as, fluctuating. All that was needed was to have it not only fluctuate, but fail, and that failure triggers a failsafe (clever it’s called that, isn’t it? ) routine in the computer system. The failsafe defrosts the valuable specimen / experiment because it’s the only way to save it if the power goes, and voilá! Plot underway, no one looks like an idiot. There's even a bonus in terms of an instant reason to wonder about what’s-his-name, if not to suspect him: why was this human worthy of Anubis creating a failsafe to keep him alive?

Computer systems here on Earth are routinely programmed to execute all sorts of auto-procedures under given circumstances. (The half-hearted UNIX system on which our ERP system at work runs sends e-mails to all the managers in IT if power goes down during business hours – and it phones the CIO, the SysAdmin, the DBA, and the on-call primary and backup if power goes down for more than 60 seconds off hours.)(Not a pleasant experience to be on the receiving end, btw.)

One would think the concept of such a system failsafe would come off as old hat for any being as technologically advanced as Anubis, and it would have been just as easy to write.
      ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        you know, sun, i could (and have in other posts), but i'm just plain tired/not in the mood to debate sam's merits on the sam's a great character thread right now.
        sally
        Well said, Sally. And you're right. Fact is, tptb have no idea what to do with Vala either (as evidenced by Joe even saying that they were all debating how to work her character into season ten AND get her a spot in the SGC that was believable). They probably have even less clue what to do where Vala is concerned than where Sam is concerned (because they were forced to include Vala in season ten - whereas Carter was already an established character, and an instituion on SG-1 - Vala was a network demand). The writing team really has their work cut out for them, and will continue to have their work cut out for them, trying to come up with (believable) plot devices to substantiate the network's ongoing demands regarding character and storyline additions. Should be interesting (if it doesn't end up becoming painful) to watch, in the long-run.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          that woud be funny!!

a bunch of us in 'obey me' hats
          Methinks that it may be difficult for people to decide which of you to obey . Fun idea though.

It sounds like GABIT is really close. When is it going to be? I thought it wouldn't be for another whole year, but you all are making preparations like it's tomorrow!

Well, whoever is going to whichever cons, have FUN!

*deepspace goes back to catching up on posts*
          There have been some great posts everyone, I wish I could think up something to reply to some of them, but I just want to say that the discussions have been really good. It seems like some of the big blowup that occured just before I had to go has blown over, and I even noticed that astro and others I haven't seen in ages dropped by for New Year.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            At the rate this is going, I'll be the only one not going to GABIT
            that would be me too, ad.

i can barely afford to pay for the internet, let alone flying to ? to attend a con.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
              Yes I agree AT seems very excited about directing. Watching behind the scenes on one of the DVD box set she was thrilled about the opportunity and she seemed very focused on the job. She was also very appreciative of everyone that helped her make her directing depute a success. I hope she get to direct more in the future.

I wholeheartedly agree -

I hope and wish that Amanda will get a chance at directing again (and many more),
              especially because she seems so excited about it and obviously enjoyed it very much!!!

P.S. Just an idea I had - unfortunately I don't have enough time right now to make it better!

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                Well said, Sally. And you're right. Fact is, tptb have no idea what to do with Vala either (as evidenced by Joe even saying that they were all debating how to work her character into season ten AND get her a spot in the SGC that was believable). They probably have even less clue what to do where Vala is concerned than where Sam is concerned (because they were forced to include Vala in season ten - whereas Carter was already an established character, and an instituion on SG-1 - Vala was a network demand). The writing team really has their work cut out for them, and will continue to have their work cut out for them, trying to come up with (believable) plot devices to substantiate the network's ongoing demands regarding character and storyline additions. Should be interesting (if it doesn't end up becoming painful) to watch, in the long-run.

mini
                Good post, mini! Only time will tell if all the power suits and writers can work themselves out of the corner they seem to be writing themselves into.

Comment

Simha, I just found your bloglink, and I have to say you write really really well. I'm glad you've found a place to write how you feel without getting into any kind of trouble by posting them here. While I don't agree totally with everything you say, I agree with a hell of a lot of it. Anyway, I just wanted to say, I'll be reading your blog to supplement the posts you write on the forum *smiles*. Your blog doesn't allow anonymous comments, so I thought I'd comment quickly here (hope that's ok).

Oh, and if anyone's wondering why I don't have anything constructive or well thought out to say at the moment, it's because I can't really say much about GABIT or about season9, so sorry if I'm just posting fluff.
                  *tries to think up something worthwhile to post*

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Fluff is always good by me. I know some people come here for heated discussions at times, but I just come here for a little escape from RL and to have some fun. It's all good.

Now that I have all of your attention...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

LOL! That's hilarious!

There's already an industry (and probably also a corporate) schtick that gives any female in a position of great authority the nomer: "She Who Must Be Obeyed"

A lot of female directors and producers end up with that nickname, these days.

mini

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                        any female in a position of great authority the nomer: "She Who Must Be Obeyed"
                        I'll obey anything she says it would be even better if she got Torri as her directing partner
                        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                        love Torri

Comment

Wow - how do you guys keep up with all these posts!

Thanks to those who said welcome. I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment about interesting women on the internet. I agree there are interesting people of both genders... and races and religions and anything else that can be stereotyped. My only reason for commenting on women is because it seems to difficult for people to write female characters. But having just seen Fridays episode, maybe it's all characters.

I wondered why there were no previews last week. I'm thinkin it's because there was really nothin to preview.

Next weeks episode looks to be off-world. Maybe the band is going to play together?

Question: Have there ever stated who Landry's 2IC is, or is that a co-leader thing too?

Still waiting for the band to play together.

Comment

OK, I keep trying to give out green jello to people and it won't let me. Apparently, I have to actually spread some green-love outside of SAmanda, lest my laziness in venturing out of this thread land me in the dubious position of being jello-less for the forseeable future. Darn it, now I have to go out into the rest of gateworld and actually READ THE OTHER THREADS!

mini(the lazy)geek

Comment

caption this

(pssst, I thought she didn't like Thor's little yellow cubes)
                              Last edited by deepspace; 08 January 2006, 08:09 PM.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by gatenv
                                Wow - how do you guys keep up with all these posts!

Question: Have there ever stated who Landry's 2IC is, or is that a co-leader thing too?

Still waiting for the band to play together.
                                Welcome

I used to be able to keep up when I had the time but now I have to skim read

Well in the 4th horseman part 2
                                Spoiler:
                                she seemed incharge when landry was out
                                Originally posted by deepspace
                                caption this
                                *is too busy thunking*
                                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                                love Torri

Comment

Working...
                                X