Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    I dunno, errr.... who am I replying to.... the Vala Fan.

I basically wanted to know whether Grade school is the equivalent of infant, junior or secondary education.
    What?! I'm a SAM fan as well. Note the sig image. As for infant, I don't know...since in the US (that's where I live) we have grade school (kindergarten through 5th grade) middle school (6th - 8th grade) and then high school (9th - 12th grade)

grade school ages are usually 5 - 10, middle is 11 - 13/14, high school is 14/15 - 17/18

Why the age differences in some? There's a stupid rule some states have that kids have to be 5 by a certain date in the year before they can start school. I don't get it...5 is 5. So what if not all kids are mature at the same age/time...it doesn't change anything by keeping them back when they first start school. They're still immature when they progress to the next grade level.
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Strix!!!!!????!!!!

You're coming to Gabit!!!!

This is so exciting!!!
      My partner gave her blessing on a November trip this morning. I've promised her a trip to England for a long time now (she's never been out of the US).

"So, Kate, there's this Amanda Tapping gathering going on in London in November..."

"Yeah?" (She tolerates my Stargate obsession, but doesn't share it)

"We could do the touristy thing then, but it might be cold, dark, and we may not see the sun the entire time we're there... and many of the tourist places may be closed."

"Sounds good to me!"

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        yes we do. now if we coudl just get soem writers that know how to write real women, not barbie dolls
        From your lips to God's ears!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
          I told Kliggins to add you to the list in the GABIT section of GW, Strix.
          I'm only doing the Shore leave one now, and Kliggins is taking care of the GABIT one.
          Thanks, Lys! I'll miss seeing you at Shore Leave, but I couldn't resist GABIT...

My LJ

Comment

SunKrux I know you're both a Vala and Sam fan, but I stupidly posted without quoting you, and couldn't find the post again to address you. Anyway, you knew who I was talking about

Strix Thanks for the account. I can fully imagine the look on her face when you mentioned those three dreaded words. Amanda. Tapping. Convention.
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              Note that she was also the first to acknowledge that the crew really worked hard for her. "Pulled out all the stops" was the phrase I think she used in the commentary. I get the sense that she's really popular with the crew. I remember reading that Barbara Stanwyck was always very popular with the crew, in part because she really recognized what an important contribution they made and also she was very down to earth. I bet AT is the same way.
              Yes I agree, MGreenburg especailly was there every step of the way for her.

It is however very stange she hasn't been given the opportunity to direct again. And even she reasons in the latest interview that if she could pull of directing Res' in season 7 with a full shooting schedule (and don't forget she was also pregnant) she could do it again - so the "we don't think you'll be able to fit it into your schedule" thing doesn't really hold water.

So thus why are they holding back on letting her Direct. It sounds like it is probably RCC's decision (from how BB described the pecking order relating to writing for the show). So what is his reason?! Amanda got nominated for an award. You would think any production would jump at the chance to have a proven nominated director direct another show. So again what is the real problem? I've just drawn my own very glib conclusion and I admit it is very glib

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                Thanks, Lys! I'll miss seeing you at Shore Leave, but I couldn't resist GABIT...
                Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  air fare to london is running 6-700 or more. we are going to wait. we have several months in which to book

as to getting from seattle to van, may i suggeste renting a car and driving? even if you take greyhound the bus terminal is, well it was nowhere near where the best western was, i have no idea about the new hotel, but i suggest checking out your transport from the bus terminal to the hotel. just so that you dont' get stuck taking a cab.

vancouver is about 3 hours due north of seattle on I5, and seatac is right on the highway. navigating van can be a bit dicey, but if you're used to big city driving, you'll do fine.

if you do drive, if you need something to drink, get it before you cross the border. there's nothing of consequence between bellingham (i think that's the last big town) and vancouver
                  Actually depending on WHAT you want to drink...there is an A&W resturant just before you get to Vancouver. I don't remember the city, but they have good rootbeer!

I'll be driving from Seattle (that's where Plateau Tormented Space is) with a couple of friends Friday after I get off work. So I'll miss anything to do with the con that night, but will be there for Saturday and Sunday!

Be afraid, be very afraid.
                  sigpic

Comment

My partner gave her blessing on a November trip this morning. I've promised her a trip to England for a long time now (she's never been out of the US).

"So, Kate, there's this Amanda Tapping gathering going on in London in November..."

"Yeah?" (She tolerates my Stargate obsession, but doesn't share it)

"We could do the touristy thing then, but it might be cold, dark, and we may not see the sun the entire time we're there... and many of the tourist places may be closed."

"Sounds good to me!"

Ah yes, but you'll have the delightful company of 1speed, myself and my daft pooch to keep you entertained. We can drench you in Welsh whiskey if necessary to keep the cold damp air out of your bones. Then there's the trip to the chambered Burial Ground (1speed knows how to show us ladies a good time), the obligatory walk up Cadir Idris (what sort of ascent are you up to - 3,000' okay?). And just for you - cause I know you're a twitcher - I'll take you to the area of my caravan for a walk to see if we spot the Red Kite out hunting. At the van you can put bird seed out and get nuthatches, great spotted woodpeckers (er well I've seen 1) Dunnock, tits (blue, great and cole) and even Jays.

Now doesn't that make Wales in November seem quite appealing.

Plus all the sites in London will be open for Kate's great escape from the GABIT crowd!!

On topic? SAM'S A GREAT CHARACTER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      sounds like finding excuses for the ptb's writing decisions.
                      Maybe, but can you do better? Considering that all we've heard from the writers/ptb is they are not sure what they are going to do with Sam or where they're going to take her, my explainations seem just as plausible as any anyone else could come up with.

richard's very successful career started with a leading spot on general hospital for five years. then throw in numerous guest starring spots on network tv shows. then throw in numerous tv movies. then macgyver comes along, with him being the sole lead for seven years. throw in some macgyver tv movies and a few more unfulfilled tv shows... you've got a long and respected career on network television, culminating with him starring on sg1 and being an executive producer as well. in my book, rda earned the right to have his name above the title.
                      AGAIN, RDA has been on more MAIN stream, easy to find and better advertised shows. Ben was on "Grace Under Fire", "Party of Five", did guest spots on a couple of other shows, as well as movies. Again, I think it's all about how pushy one's agent is. Agents play a bigger role in an actors life than most people even realize. Also, keep in mind that RDA is probably older than Ben. He's been alive longer to achieve what he has. Ben's achieved what he has in a shorter time.

the opening credits have ben's name first and then amanda's. fine, i can live with it. but the collection of pics shown 'before' the name stargate is shown is ALL bb/cm. almost feels like ben's name above the title. (maybe this is the real reason why we didn't have opening credits for a while. didn't want to shock the fans with the sudden realization that the newcomer really 'was' the lead of it all???
                      I chalk it up to "Can't please all of the people all of the time". No amount of fans complaining is going to change the new opening credits.
                      sigpic

Comment

Obviously, I don't know AT personally, but from what I've seen of her and read about her, I really feel this is true. She is hard working, but a team player and she gives credit where credit's due. She's never even tried to make out the Resurrection was her deal, she always acknowledges that it was a joint effort from all the crew. She seems such a kind, friendly and fun person, that I can't see how any of the crew *could* dislike her.
                        I don't think any of the crew dislike her at all - well perhaps I wonder about a certain chap in charge!! However I bet a number of the regular directors - like PD'Luise felt a little bit put out when first time directing actor Amanda gets an award nomination. Who would blame them. I'm not suggesting for a moment they would dislike her for it, but be very protective of "their" area of expertise.

Amanda always gives credit to other people - she's a class act.

And I noticed BB did likewise in his current interview. He sounds like a real nice chap. Now any of TPTB who may be lurking - start writing some great stuff which makes mitchell into a believable, mature assertive leader who gels with the rest of the team for this nice chap you've signed - he's giving up a lot to be on the show!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                          I want a green one with pink stars spread all around because it reminds me the colour of THE car in one my favourite movies from my childhood : L'Homme de Rio (That Man from Rio). It was hilarious and was also about a kidnapped damsel in distress. Not that I want to play it 1speed, but first find me that blindfold.
                          OK. I'm sure the Royal Accountant will have something suitably garish tucked away in her wardrobe.

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          Methinks that the Assistant Security Guard, 1speed, may be a bit too forward in meeting the Royal Pharmacist. Talk about having a captive audience!

Ooh, thanks for reminding me, Jester - I'd forgotten all about the leopard-skin restraints off the good ol' Stargate Viewing Settee (TM). They might just come in handy...

Comment

Add me to GABIT2
                            Your on the list Strix in the Gabit thread.
                            sigpic

Comment

Add me to GABIT2
                              Yay, Strix!!!

I'll make sure we have enough Yorkshire Tea to last us the weekend.

Comment

On the Sam not being in charge issue batting 2 and fro at the moment.

my 2 penneth

TPTB did not want Carter to lead the SG1 team. End of story. If they wanted her to be in charge she would be. I'm hugely dismayed astounded and disapointed at this. Carter is the obvious choice as to who should be leading SG1 in the long run. You want the best as lead.

That is my opinion. TPTB have decided not to have CARTER lead SG1 and they have done a poor job of making a credible case for someone other than Sam leading. Sal's analysis would have been better. Cameron as a long serving SG whatever leader with more strategic military experience than Carter in the bag. I still wouldn't have liked it - I'm a female with female bias - I would love to have seen Kick A$$ Carter in charge. However I wouldn't really be able to question the logic of the decision within the realm of the Stargate world. I would only be able to have a miff that my fave character and actor didn't get a chance to shine.

Comment

Working...
                                X