Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    ON the AT Directing issue - they have been making excuses (see her interview) not to let her direct. Now do you think that may be because Amanda got nominated for an award for her first direct ever - just how many male noses did that put out of joint eh. They won't let that happen again I can tell you - how - by not letting her direct. The male ego is a very sad thing
    i thikn it could also have something to do with depending so much on her to carry the show. even if they 'don't know what to do with her', they seemed to have a hard time writing an eps that was sam lite the last time she directed. even if they can't write something around sam, tehy know they can depend on her to give 120% so they use her that way...which is good. but it also means that they're depending on her so much to 'be there' that they might be hampering her future a bit.

who knows, maybe if they have vala to deal with they can write a sam-lite eps and let her direct, or let her direct an atlantis eps, finally take a chance to pay her back for all she's done over the years
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
      Sadly no, one of my coworkers is in holidays at this very same moment and we can't get holidays both at the same time. And as we're working on weekends, I'd need holidays to go to GABIT.
      i was in the same boat last year. with gatecon the last weekend of july, my co-worker has a band camp that weekend and since we both couldn't be gone....i stayed home.

it sucks but...you just do what you can

we'll find you another con lys
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
        Is anyone by chance going to the Creation Convention in Vancouver??? Amanda's confirmed for that one as well I believe...

I'm not able to make it to any foreign cons, as usual... come on people, Vancouver is gorgeous, come here!!!
        Yes I'm flying in Thursday and leaving on Monday. Staying at the Hilton - So will you be attending any of the con this year?

Kat - Have you already booked your flight for Vancouver? I waited because when I first started checking everything was in the $500 - 700 price range and this week when I checked again fares had dropped to $275 - 400 for the same flights. I have been able to get Thursday off as well as Friday and the following Monday so I have a more flexible time for departures and booked a flight on United from Fresno, CA for $290.
        Last edited by tsaxlady; 07 January 2006, 04:37 PM.
        My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Back to see yous, hows the Sam loving going

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
            See, that's where I have questions, because the ratings were pretty steady even when RDA didn't play a large role last year. It was quite clear that S7 and S8 were Jack-lite, yet the ratings were still pretty good. They didn't dip anymore significantly than any other cable show - even BSG.

Also, it would seem that this year the ratings haven't so much increased as much as they've flatlined. That's not a bad thing either, imo, because there are soooo many contributing factors to that. But I still don't see how an addition of any actor from any genre series was necessary.

That's a hard thing for me, as a team fan, to swallow. I don't know about Farscape, but I've always viewed SG-1 as a sort of ensemble cast, with four core cast members keeping the show afloat. While RDA is a big name, and his presence was crucial to the continuation of the series after S5, they never really wrote it as The Jack Show, or anything like that - and the fans have never really received it that way either. Really, the motives of the network were clear in bringing in different fans, but the evidence that they've actually succeeded in their endeavors is really hard to measure.

Again, it's hard for me to get this mentality, considering I watched the show solely for the interaction between the team members - including when Sam was the CO of SG-1 last year. I looked forward to seeing how Sam, Daniel and Teal'c made it on their own, and they seemed to be doing just fine - with what little we actually got to see. I miss Jack this season, and I'm glad they wrote him in as much as possible last season. But I can't help but feel like they didn't even give AT, MS and CJ a CHANCE to carry the series on their own, without any "male lead" intervention (read: babysitting). And that's just disturbing. They don't NEED a categorically dubbed "male lead."

These three actors have nine years of experience on their side. They don't NEED anyone to bring in viewers, because the loyalty of the older WORLDWIDE fans has kept them going for this long. If the network would simply advertise and promote the show as much as they have BSG, there wouldn't be any issues. People from the "mainstream" would know about the show, and perhaps would give it a chance. It seems like Sci Fi just got greedy (and worried) and acted accordingly by trying to reconcile with the fanbase they effectively screwed over years ago.

You don't win with this fandom. Just like showing too much Soldier Sam or too much Shippy Sam or too much Brainy Jackson or Action Jackson ticks loads of people off. The fact of the matter remains, for me, that the show was doing OK without any lame attempts at bolstering ratings. And BB/Cameron and CB/Vala, as cool as they are, were not necessary for the continued success of the show.

I'm OK with them being on the show, because I personally think that they, as actors, add that extra ummph! to an already great ensemble. And I definitely don't blame them for the issues the fandom is facing right now. As long as the show continues to focus mainly on the three original actors and characters - the ones who made the show so popular to begin with - I won't complain. Much. It's my opinion that the show CAN be OK with all of those great actors on its side.

As much as I'm looking forward to the Sam-Cam Action, I'm glad there will be some great team moments later on this season. And, when Vala gets back, I'm sure that trend will continue. After all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it (or break it!).

Fabulous post, spaz. I feel the same way. I do like BB, but to advertize him as the male lead is puzzling to me. I do see what you are saying, Shardsofglass, in regard to bringing in BB's fanbase, but I'm just not convinced that it was necessary. Season 6 made it fine without replacing MS with a "star" and I don't think we had to have a "star" to replace RDA.

The fact the BB is after the Stargate SG-1 title seems to me that this is an ensemble cast. In fact, IMO, because of RDA, it was an ensemble cast in the first 8 seasons. And during seasons 6-8, as spaz pointed out, RDA was in it much less and the ratings just got better and better. I like BB, but as I watch the show with my partner, we scratch our heads wondering why he is the "lead." But I don't hold that against BB---I just don't really see him as any better or more popular than the orgininal cast members. But clearly scifi network thought that they had to bring him in to help replace RDA, and the point about bringing in new fans is probably what they were thinking. The qustion is, did they really need to? Well, a moot question now anyway. We'll never know.

I agree with spaz. As long as the original cast members don't get pushed aside by BB and CB, I'll be okay--- well and as long as the writing gets better again and we get team episodes. I'm almost forgetting what team episodes are?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              See, that's where I have questions, because the ratings were pretty steady even when RDA didn't play a large role last year. It was quite clear that S7 and S8 were Jack-lite, yet the ratings were still pretty good. They didn't dip anymore significantly than any other cable show - even BSG.

Also, it would seem that this year the ratings haven't so much increased as much as they've flatlined. That's not a bad thing either, imo, because there are soooo many contributing factors to that. But I still don't see how an addition of any actor from any genre series was necessary.
              But can you *guarantee* that RDA's absence wouldn't have affected the ratings? He was still there even if his role was less, and to most fans who don't come online, they're just going to be happy to see Jack. If a network and studio are going to put up millions of dollars for a new season, they're going to want to make sure as much as they can that the ratings will stay the same. Bringing in someone like Ben who's a proven lead and who has an existing fanbase seems pretty logical to me.

And I don't see it as a diss at the rest of the cast at all. None of them were demoted. They're still in the same spot in the credits. They just weren't promoted to the lead. When the head of sales left my company, for instance, they didn't replace her with someone from the staff, they brought in someone from outside who already had a lot of experience being the head of sales. <shrug>

That's a hard thing for me, as a team fan, to swallow. I don't know about Farscape, but I've always viewed SG-1 as a sort of ensemble cast, with four core cast members keeping the show afloat. While RDA is a big name, and his presence was crucial to the continuation of the series after S5, they never really wrote it as The Jack Show, or anything like that - and the fans have never really received it that way either. Really, the motives of the network were clear in bringing in different fans, but the evidence that they've actually succeeded in their endeavors is really hard to measure.
              *You* may not have seen it as the Jack show, but it was pretty clear to me that he was the lead. Well I'd say the fact that the show has been picked up for S10 means that the new cast is successful. Whether individual fans like certain characters or not, I can't say, but in general, most fans must like the changes or they would've expressed their displeasure by changing the channel. And that hasn't happened.

Again, it's hard for me to get this mentality, considering I watched the show solely for the interaction between the team members - including when Sam was the CO of SG-1 last year. I looked forward to seeing how Sam, Daniel and Teal'c made it on their own, and they seemed to be doing just fine - with what little we actually got to see. I miss Jack this season, and I'm glad they wrote him in as much as possible last season. But I can't help but feel like they didn't even give AT, MS and CJ a CHANCE to carry the series on their own, without any "male lead" intervention (read: babysitting). And that's just disturbing. They don't NEED a categorically dubbed "male lead."

These three actors have nine years of experience on their side. They don't NEED anyone to bring in viewers, because the loyalty of the older WORLDWIDE fans has kept them going for this long. If the network would simply advertise and promote the show as much as they have BSG, there wouldn't be any issues. People from the "mainstream" would know about the show, and perhaps would give it a chance. It seems like Sci Fi just got greedy (and worried) and acted accordingly by trying to reconcile with the fanbase they effectively screwed over years ago.
              For a show that's been on 8 years, I doubt a lot of advertising will help it. By now, people have either heard of it and rejected it or they're watching it. I don't see Ben as a babysitter at all. In fact, she show has hardly featured him at all so far.

You don't win with this fandom. Just like showing too much Soldier Sam or too much Shippy Sam or too much Brainy Jackson or Action Jackson ticks loads of people off. The fact of the matter remains, for me, that the show was doing OK without any lame attempts at bolstering ratings. And BB/Cameron and CB/Vala, as cool as they are, were not necessary for the continued success of the show.
              BUt can you prove that the ratings wouldn't have gone down without RDA? Seriously, these are your opinions but they're not scientific. THere's no data here. THere aren't any focus group studies. Ben's the reason I'm here, and I see a lot of other FS handles on GW. Maybe the ratings would've been fine without the changes, but that's a big risk to take and this may have been the last season then. Plus, I think new characters bring a lot to a show that's been on the air this long because they'll give the writers new ideas and new relationships to explore.

I'm OK with them being on the show, because I personally think that they, as actors, add that extra ummph! to an already great ensemble. And I definitely don't blame them for the issues the fandom is facing right now. As long as the show continues to focus mainly on the three original actors and characters - the ones who made the show so popular to begin with - I won't complain. Much. It's my opinion that the show CAN be OK with all of those great actors on its side.
              And see, the show will lose me if they only focus on the three original characters. It's not fair to Ben or Claudia or anyone else to be hired for a job and not allowed to do it simply because they're newer.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

The main worry I have regarding Sam's presence in season 10 is still this crossing over into Atlantis business. I do hope the uproar on Gateworld after GABIT made TPTB sit up a little and have a real good think about this.

Was it James Titchenor who commented that RCC wants to shake things up and rock the boat, but he won't be allowed to do that to the extent that he would like? It is also RCC who is constantly drooling over CB in all the interviews I have read without giving Amanda a mention (unless pressed by a narked interviewer). So we can see where his attentions are focused

All the little snippets of fact we have been given just lead me to the conclusion that there is a creative element who wants Vala to take over from Sam. Maybe after all the uproar on Gateworld after GABIT, there has been some dilution to the original plans.

Though it is not the few on GATEWORLD that hold the key to the shows sucess, I have a general view that all the viewers of Stargate love Stargate because it is different. They have all kept watching for 8 seasons for a reason and have all kept buying the dvd's for a reason. To change the show to the extent it is being changed is a risky affair. I already know 2 males who have commented that if the Vala character is the way Stargate is going they will not bother watching anymore. They don't watch Stargate for that type of character they watch it for the team aspect and it's believability. Some new fans may have been gained, but other fans have been lost as there isn't the increase in veiwing figures (I don't think).

However gone down this route they have and I firmly believe that the male ego of the people making the decisions will prevent a complete turnaround. They will try to ease Vala in to the fore, the dilution of Carter is a means to this end.

I do hope I am very wrong and that the people who are responsible for the show see sense. The show they are now trying to make Stargate into are 10 a penny and the viewers that may start to watch will lack the loyalty of the current batch who have watched for 8 years. I also think this type of fan will be quite fickle and will quickly turn to another show if more or better hot totty/special effects/action is on offer.

In summary I do fear for Sam's role becasue of what is already happening to what was once a credible and intelligent show. It is already more of a boys show now rather than an intelligent show suitable for all age ranges. Don't think the boys have the same spending power when it comes to fandom though. The franchaise should be aware.

Anyway I still hope and pray my favourite character will not be taken away - hey that rhymes
                I do see what you mean and others too about this situation. I go back and forth on it. If they end up ruining SG-1 for me (and they have started down this path---the stories aren't very compelling compared to other seasons, and the dynamic is changing too much for me to care about the characters), then I'd rather see AT/Sam much more on Atlantis down the road because, even though Atlantis isn't really grabbing me, it isn't as unStargate-like yet, if you know what I mean.

I have no clue what would be good for AT at this point, and she may not either because there is not enough information about the situation. I'm sure she'll do her best to fight for her character, but it seems a bit difficult to do when you don't know what the writers are planning right now. And it is difficult for me as a Sam fan to know what to say or do either. I've given up on the JM thread or blog because his answers just don't mean much---they are empty. I guess I'm in a wait and see mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                  Shore Leave

Skydiver
                  minigeek
                  tsaxlady
                  dancer of spaz
                  Dani 76
                  Lys

GABIT2

Skydiver
                  minigeek
                  Dani 76
                  Tracy Jane
                  Forever SG1

Added ! Anyone else ?
                  Don't know if this has already been answered but Coley and 1speed4Sam have registered for GABIT2 also!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                    Fabulous post, spaz. I feel the same way. I do like BB, but to advertize him as the male lead is puzzling to me. I do see what you are saying, Shardsofglass, in regard to bringing in BB's fanbase, but I'm just not convinced that it was necessary. Season 6 made it fine without replacing MS with a "star" and I don't think we had to have a "star" to replace RDA.

The fact the BB is after the Stargate SG-1 title seems to me that this is an ensemble cast. In fact, IMO, because of RDA, it was an ensemble cast in the first 8 seasons. And during seasons 6-8, as spaz pointed out, RDA was in it much less and the ratings just got better and better. I like BB, but as I watch the show with my partner, we scratch our heads wondering why he is the "lead." But I don't hold that against BB---I just don't really see him as any better or more popular than the orgininal cast members. But clearly scifi network thought that they had to bring him in to help replace RDA, and the point about bringing in new fans is probably what they were thinking. The qustion is, did they really need to? Well, a moot question now anyway. We'll never know.

I agree with spaz. As long as the original cast members don't get pushed aside by BB and CB, I'll be okay--- well and as long as the writing gets better again and we get team episodes. I'm almost forgetting what team episodes are?
                    A true ensemble cast would list the cast alphabetically in the credits, which has never been the case with SG-1. There is definitely an ensemble feel to the show, but there's always been a sort of pecking order as far as who gets the most story time. RDA (until he started cutting back) was involved in almost everything with AT and MS getting not quite as many storylines, and CJ coming in third.

I agree that things are more of an ensemble nature now, but it's still not a true ensemble if the cast is not listed alphabetically. No matter what it seems like, the fact is that one person is listed first and that person is the lead.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                      But can you *guarantee* that RDA's absence wouldn't have affected the ratings? He was still there even if his role was less, and to most fans who don't come online, they're just going to be happy to see Jack. If a network and studio are going to put up millions of dollars for a new season, they're going to want to make sure as much as they can that the ratings will stay the same. Bringing in someone like Ben who's a proven lead and who has an existing fanbase seems pretty logical to me.

And I don't see it as a diss at the rest of the cast at all. None of them were demoted. They're still in the same spot in the credits. They just weren't promoted to the lead. When the head of sales left my company, for instance, they didn't replace her with someone from the staff, they brought in someone from outside who already had a lot of experience being the head of sales. <shrug>

*You* may not have seen it as the Jack show, but it was pretty clear to me that he was the lead. Well I'd say the fact that the show has been picked up for S10 means that the new cast is successful. Whether individual fans like certain characters or not, I can't say, but in general, most fans must like the changes or they would've expressed their displeasure by changing the channel. And that hasn't happened.

But can you prove that the ratings wouldn't have gone down without RDA? Seriously, these are your opinions but they're not scientific. THere's no data here. THere aren't any focus group studies. Ben's the reason I'm here, and I see a lot of other FS handles on GW. Maybe the ratings would've been fine without the changes, but that's a big risk to take and this may have been the last season then. Plus, I think new characters bring a lot to a show that's been on the air this long because they'll give the writers new ideas and new relationships to explore.

And see, the show will lose me if they only focus on the three original characters. It's not fair to Ben or Claudia or anyone else to be hired for a job and not allowed to do it simply because they're newer.

It is just too difficult to tell who is really watching or why people are watching. There could be many viewers who are kind of bored with the show this season and do not like the changes, yet still watch because they are on a wait and see, and maybe it will get better. They've watched it for so long, they still watch it.

Like you said though---we just don't know and we will never know if the ratings would have stayed the same regardless of bringing in BB or not. The good news is, he seems like a great person, a humble person, and one who is grateful to have this job. And he certainly is putting in his all into the show.

I do think that at this point, even if his name is first, they are writing it as an ensemble show.

Comment

A true ensemble cast would list the cast alphabetically in the credits, which has never been the case with SG-1. There is definitely an ensemble feel to the show, but there's always been a sort of pecking order as far as who gets the most story time. RDA (until he started cutting back) was involved in almost everything with AT and MS getting not quite as many storylines, and CJ coming in third.

I agree that things are more of an ensemble nature now, but it's still not a true ensemble if the cast is not listed alphabetically. No matter what it seems like, the fact is that one person is listed first and that person is the lead.
                        You're right, there really has been a pecking order all along. You can't deny RDA was obviously the Big Name Lead. But also, I s'pose he was one of TPTB as well.
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Well, RDA reduced his time for three seasons, so that gives the regular viewers a long time to watch where RDA is not getting the most storylines. So many fans think of it as an ensemble cast, and I think because it is supposed to be a team show, that even makes more intuitive sense. But yes, RDA was definitely the lead. BB is not quite the same kind of lead as RDA though, at least to me. Actually, I have no idea what a lead is anymore!

And sure, no doubt that BB is first in the credits. I'm not sure what that means practically.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            air fare to london is running 6-700 or more. we are going to wait. we have several months in which to book

as to getting from seattle to van, may i suggeste renting a car and driving? even if you take greyhound the bus terminal is, well it was nowhere near where the best western was, i have no idea about the new hotel, but i suggest checking out your transport from the bus terminal to the hotel. just so that you dont' get stuck taking a cab.

vancouver is about 3 hours due north of seattle on I5, and seatac is right on the highway. navigating van can be a bit dicey, but if you're used to big city driving, you'll do fine.

if you do drive, if you need something to drink, get it before you cross the border. there's nothing of consequence between bellingham (i think that's the last big town) and vancouver
                            Yeah, I lived in the Seattle area for 23years... so I'm pretty familiar with SeaTac, ect. I know there is a Amtrak bus that leaves Tukwila and travels to Vancouver and supposedly from what I have read, the bus terminal is near the Vancouver Sky Train which is suppose to stop right by the hotel; however, I have only looked into this briefly so I'm not really sure how much traveling I'll actually have to end up doing. I just didn't want to make the three hour drive and deal with parking a car ect. I still may drive though.

Comment

Ah, at last.... internet!!!!!
                              Sorry guys, I was only meant to be away a little while. I have been working in country NSW. With the New Year heatwaves and bushfires etc... closing the main highways I ended up staying on an extra week, and have only just got back.

Looks like it might take me a while to catch up here, but I look forward to reading all your posts.

But heck, what on earth happened to all our emoticons. Everything's gone... different. Not sure if I like all the new ones. At first I couldn't find Samanda because it didn't have the old icon!

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                                Of course, the forum had to break down when I wanted to add my 2 cents...hm? Just wanted to share some *bones*

Anyways, a couple of thoughts on Sam's part in this ep:
                                Spoiler:

Finally: "gateroom - Teal'c steps through with Gerak - guns pointed at both of them - Sam takes control and tells I don't know how many soldiers to STAND DOWN!: That was cool, at least a bit of Sam in command (of the whole base???)

first off, poo on gateworld for going screwy last night!

Spoiler:
                                yes, i noticed that scene too! (who exactly *was* in charge while landry was sick?)

the end scene where sam visits orlin at the home was my fave. it was the only part of the ep that i connected with emotionally.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X