X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday Minigeek!!!!!!

My LJ

Comment

Thanks for explaining the US system, Skydiver. In the UK we tend to get actual figures on how many tuned in.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
        Yes, I'm sure that's the only reason. Must be why RDA got the lead when the show started, and why MS didn't get the lead this season.
        I have a small question for the Farscape fans. Everyone keeps saying that Browder was given the lead role because his name was/is more well known than the three original members of Stargate, but I'm curious why people think this. I don't admit to really know much about Farscape. I've only recently begun to watch the show. However, from what I have read, Farscape was originally aired on Scif, so I'm just curious what the ratings were like when Farscape was actually on the air. From what Amanda said about SG-1 on Stargate: True Science...Stargate SG-1 has been on the air now for nine years and is seen by over 20 million people in 80 different countries on a weekly basis. I'm very interested how this compares/compared to Farscape.

I know Farscape may have been very popular with the critics, but I can honestly say that before BB and CB came to Stargate, I had never even heard of the show or the actors. So how can one really say that Browder is more of a name than say Tapping or Shanks or Judge. We are not talking about RDA here, someone who had a hit television show on one of the top three American television channels which was watched by over 10 million Americans on a weekly basis. I don't really mean to be disrespectful to Browder, but honestly, I don't see how anyone can compare RDA, being the lead on MacGuyver for seven years and Browder being the lead on Farscape for four. Honestly, more people watched RDA in the first season of MacGuyver than all four seasons of Farscape combined.

I'm not knocking Browder being added to the show. The show has always been a four member team( Jack may not have been on SG-1 team in season 8, but the show was written to include him as if he were). So in that respect they needed to add another character/actor to the show, but I really feel as if TPTB have done the other members of the cast a real disservice in not pushing Stargate now as a true ensemble cast. The fact that they are going out of their way to push Browder into a lead role as if it's by his name alone that is actually keeping the show alive is very saddening. As happy as I was to finally get our full opening credits back last night, it was very hard not to notice how much they were pushing Browder/Mitchell in the credit clips.

I don't envy Browder. He's coming into a very hard situation where not only is he a new cast member in a long running show, but he's also been forced into the forefront as the new lead of the show and the team and many fans, like myself, are having a difficult time understanding why he's there. I still don't believe the writers have done a very good job at showing us why Mitchell deserved all the praise he recieved in the first Avalon I.

As for FH2, as far as JM's comments about this being a good Sam episode. If this is considered to be a good Sam episode, I'm a little worried about what we should expect in the rest of the season. Sam was little more than a babysitter in this episode, in my opinion. I know I'm in the minority when I say that I can live with Sam not being the leader of SG-1. I may not like it, but I can deal with it. What really bothers me is the fact that Sam appears to be a member of SG-1 in name alone this season. It's like the writers are doing whatever they possibly can to make sure Sam and Mitchell are not together so they don't have to deal with the leadership issue. Mitchell goes off-world with Teal'c and Sam is with Daniel... or Mitchell goes off world with Daniel and SG-whatever and Sam babysits at the SGC while Teal'c is off doing his Jaffa thing. I'm sorry, but when exactly are we going to see some TEAM interaction? I want my SG-1... not SG-Mitchell, or SG-Daniel, or SG-Sam....

I want SG-1. The team. With Sam as a integral member of said team.

The best part of FH2 for me was the scene where Teal'c tells Gerak that he would rather die with freedom than become a slave again to the Ori, and the briefing room scene with Hammond. You could really see a loss/sadness in Daniel and Sam's eyes when they talked to Hammond. It really made me miss what we used to have with him around. And I agree that the writers missed a wonderful opportunity by not mentioning Jack in that scene. This was a perfect episode to mention him and it be perfectly in context with what was going on.

Oh well. Enough of my ranting for one day. I didn't actually dislike FH2. More than anything, I think after the long hiatus, I was just expecting a bit more.
        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 07 January 2006, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
          Thanks for explaining the US system, Skydiver. In the UK we tend to get actual figures on how many tuned in.
          yeah, the neilsons are based on statistics. namely the supposition that if you have a large enough and varied enough sample size you can poll that sample and receive results that are reapresentative of the group as a whole.

it would be nice if everyone could chime in, but not possible given the sheer numbers
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I don't get why people think that Ben is the show's lead? Now that RDA is gone, I see a show with an ensemble cast, not one where there is a male lead and a female lead. I don't think that Ben is anymore the lead over Michael and Chris than Claudia will take the 'female' lead from Amanda next season.

On another topic entirely, I just wanted to invite all the folks here to the
            Gabit thread as well. It's a thread where all those going to Gabit from GW are chatting to each other. The Gabit organisers pop in with news and answer questions there too, so it is a handy place to visit if you don't go to the Gabit forums. The folks there are also organising a GW get together at the con. So lets all meet up!

Come chat Gabit Thread
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
              There must come a point where reduced air time on the show means no more lead role. In SG1 there have in the past been 4 team players - one of which is Sam - High profile - lots of air time. The change in direction of the show is putting more characters into the fore (which I think is bad as it compromises the team based show [but protects the show from another one of the lead cast leaving]) If also there is a move to introduce Vala and lose even more Sam then Sam's role - and Amanda's air time has been reduced dramatically on SG1. Maybe she will get a billing place via contract negotiation, but it is hardly the same as a lot of acting time. Air time on Atlantis just doesn't compensate - and remember not everyone watches both shows anyway.

I must admit I don't know for certain if this will be good for her career or not. My perception is not - but then I don't know the industry. If SG1 folds and Atlantis continues and she still has work - then it is good for her career I guess - but in general her not being in the spotlight in SG1 is for me bad news!!
              Well said, Coley! The decision to use Sam in both shows in S10 will have to impact how she is written and just how much quality time remains for her at SG1. I can't help but thinking that the writers/producers were struggling with "what to do with Carter" for S10. That doesn't necessarily bode well for her in either galaxy. Right now, it's all up for grabs.

I know that I want to see Sam in as many scenes as possible because she's what made a Stargate fan of me in the first place! Her acting and stage presence light up the screen for me. Sam, as a real player, is all I'm asking. My worst fear? She becomes a bench warmer and loses what Amanda has worked hard to produce for almost ten years: a viable role model for fans of all ages who respect the integrity of the character.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                I don't get why people think that Ben is the show's lead? Now that RDA is gone, I see a show with an ensemble cast, not one where there is a male lead and a female lead. I don't think that Ben is anymore the lead over Michael and Chris than Claudia will take the 'female' lead from Amanda next season.

On another topic entirely, I just wanted to invite all the folks here to the
                Gabit thread as well. It's a thread where all those going to Gabit from GW are chatting to each other. The Gabit organisers pop in with news and answer questions there too, so it is a handy place to visit if you don't go to the Gabit forums. The folks there are also organising a GW get together at the con. So lets all meet up!

Come chat Gabit Thread
                Yeah, speaking of which, if Lys could dredge up her list to merge with the Gabit thread, it would be useful.
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

For those who might be interested, I have updated my Sam-whumping fanfic list with 14 more stories:

http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/whumping.htm

Sky, the first one, by Siggy, is a short but good Sam/Teal'c piece.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                    SunKrux, is it wrong of me to laugh now when you preceed your posts with disclaimers? Eventually we'll figure out that you're not being defensive. Really!!!
                    No, laugh away. I am...since I think it's funny that I'm having to do it. I've moved it to my sig so I don't have to type it each and every time.

Just because I don't agree with someone's opinion doesn't mean I don't respect their opinion. I've been known (on other fandom boards) to even defend someone I don't agree with's right to share their opinion. Sharing of opinions is a good thing since opinion's are neither right or wrong, they just are.
                    sigpic
                    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      in the case of rda, his name was above the credits because, in the beginning, they needed a 'big name' actor to anchor the show. and that actor was rda. because of that, he got his name first (for many years scili would not give thire approval to another season until they knew that rda signed. his willingness to be a part of it decided whether there was a s6, 7,or 8.

now that scili doesn't feel that an actor is more important than the show so there is no name in front of the credits. if ben were to decide that he didn't want to continue, they'd find another 'well known' actor with a decent sized fan base to take his place, probably someone of the trek fame would be my guess
                      But they will have to but someone (or two people) in front of the credits for season 10 becuase of Claudia's addition to the cast. And I doubt that you can add 6 cast members to the back of the credits with losing some interesting shots. And according to my daydreams (and in my opinion), Ben and Shanks should be put to the front of the credits.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                        For those who might be interested, I have updated my Sam-whumping fanfic list with 14 more stories:

http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/whumping.htm

Sky, the first one, by Siggy, is a short but good Sam/Teal'c piece.
                        oh yeah, that is a good one

thanks for the stories strix.

sigpic

Comment

the ben/claudia fans can also be counterbalancerd by the sam/jack and the jack ones that are no longer watching.

I believe that FS average rating was about a 1, which does have to include folks that also watched stargate (in fact i think that scifi's ratings went up when sg and atl were on hten back down when fs was on...which isn't necessarily a comment on the quality of the show but the fact that a 3 year old show is hard to get into)
                          Don't forget, SciFi did a piss poor job of advertising FS. SG1 had the better advertising in the beginning - before SciLie took it - due to MGM/Showtime (at the time) actually trying to get more viewers and ratings.

given that ratings have gone up a little you could probably assume that if 1000 fs fans have joined the show, they are counterbalanced by 900 jack, sam/jack ones that have left.

there is also the fact that the neilson ratings are horribly unreliable. for the most part they are taken from 5000 house holds. that's it, 5000 out of hte whole us (there is some other methods in bigger cities, but those are just for overnights, not the normal ones)

what are the chances that a good portion of those 5000 folks are stargate fans???? or farscape fans???? not many.

often the success or failure of a show has less to do with its popular appeal than it has appealing to that small group of black box owners
                          EXACTLY!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                            But they will have to but someone (or two people) in front of the credits for season 10 becuase of Claudia's addition to the cast. And I doubt that you can add 6 cast members to the back of the credits with losing some interesting shots. And according to my daydreams (and in my opinion), Ben and Shanks should be put to the front of the credits.
                            i didn't pay attentionlast night. did they do it
                            ben browder in stargate

or

stargate

ben
                            amanda
                            chris, etc.

If ben's name is after the 'stargate' then he's just another actor. the lead actor yes, but just another actor.

sigpic

Comment

i didn't pay attentionlast night. did they do it
                              ben browder in stargate

or

stargate

ben
                              amanda
                              chris, etc.

If ben's name is after the 'stargate' then he's just another actor. the lead actor yes, but just another actor.
                              I think he's after, but I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                                Yeah, speaking of which, if Lys could dredge up her list to merge with the Gabit thread, it would be useful.
                                Here's my last list, please tell me if there are any changes or additions before I post it on the GABIT thread and the Shore Leave thread.

Shore Leave

Skydiver
                                minigeek
                                tsaxlady
                                dancer of spaz
                                Strix Varia
                                Dani 76
                                Lys

GABIT2

Skydiver
                                minigeek
                                Dani 76