X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These threads go way to fast

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Hi Lys ... "addicted" ... who's addicted?! hehehehe And just why aren't you?!
      Why I'm not addicted ? Well it's quite simple. The blog is a poor excuse for some fans to turn the comments into a warzone and gives a very bad impression of the fans. I don't know what you, Samandans, think about this, but if I was in JM's shoes, I wouldn't give a damn for fans who spend countless hours fighting for the sake of fighting and bashing each other while they could give constructive critics. Granted, there are some constructive comments, but they're drowned in the huge wave of bashing posts.
      There's a forum outside in the Great Negativity Nebula I don't want to visit. It's not to get a deja vu feeling in JM's blog. I can live without that thank you very much.
      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        I agree wit so many of your points, Coley!

It is true that Amanda/Sam is more in the background at this point of season 9, but I can't help but think that this is because of her schedule and maybe they were trying to give her a break. In every interview she comments on how difficult it has been to juggle everything, and how exhausted she feels. I'm disappointed in seeing less of Sam than compared to the first eight seasons, but I think this is expected, given her life situation as a new mom. Now maybe in some of the future episodes, we'll see more of her as usual (say Ripple Effect and Grace Under Pressure). And hopefully, please oh please, when we ever do see a team episode dare I say off-world, she will be right there.

Season 10 is a whole other issue. You make great points about how season 10 COULD be good---I hope the writers do this. Also, I would expect Sam to get her usual air time similar to season 1-8 because I think AT"s schedule may be smoother and she would be less exhausted in season 10 production. The sleep factor (i.e, lack of sleep!) should change by the time production starts again.

Let's hope TPTB do what you suggest! there is great potential here. Also, maybe they'll actually face the leadership issue head on in season 10. JM indicated that this is a possibility. Maybe they'll actually clarify the co-leadership situation. Who knows.

great reply as ever chocdoc

The main worry I have regarding Sam's presence in season 10 is still this crossing over into Atlantis business. I do hope the uproar on Gateworld after GABIT made TPTB sit up a little and have a real good think about this.

Was it James Titchenor who commented that RCC wants to shake things up and rock the boat, but he won't be allowed to do that to the extent that he would like? It is also RCC who is constantly drooling over CB in all the interviews I have read without giving Amanda a mention (unless pressed by a narked interviewer). So we can see where his attentions are focused

All the little snippets of fact we have been given just lead me to the conclusion that there is a creative element who wants Vala to take over from Sam. Maybe after all the uproar on Gateworld after GABIT, there has been some dilution to the original plans.

Though it is not the few on GATEWORLD that hold the key to the shows sucess, I have a general view that all the viewers of Stargate love Stargate because it is different. They have all kept watching for 8 seasons for a reason and have all kept buying the dvd's for a reason. To change the show to the extent it is being changed is a risky affair. I already know 2 males who have commented that if the Vala character is the way Stargate is going they will not bother watching anymore. They don't watch Stargate for that type of character they watch it for the team aspect and it's believability. Some new fans may have been gained, but other fans have been lost as there isn't the increase in veiwing figures (I don't think).

However gone down this route they have and I firmly believe that the male ego of the people making the decisions will prevent a complete turnaround. They will try to ease Vala in to the fore, the dilution of Carter is a means to this end.

I do hope I am very wrong and that the people who are responsible for the show see sense. The show they are now trying to make Stargate into are 10 a penny and the viewers that may start to watch will lack the loyalty of the current batch who have watched for 8 years. I also think this type of fan will be quite fickle and will quickly turn to another show if more or better hot totty/special effects/action is on offer.

In summary I do fear for Sam's role becasue of what is already happening to what was once a credible and intelligent show. It is already more of a boys show now rather than an intelligent show suitable for all age ranges. Don't think the boys have the same spending power when it comes to fandom though. The franchaise should be aware.

Anyway I still hope and pray my favourite character will not be taken away - hey that rhymes

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Hi Lys ... "addicted" ... who's addicted?! hehehehe And just why aren't you?!

Yes, I think we all have to cut Sam some slack for the S9 re-entry to the show, but it won't prohibit me from doing my Judy Garland imitation .... I think those of us who have been watching Sam's evolution from the very first seasons through the somewhat bumpy terrain of S7-8 expected more from the writers/producers re: the handling of her MLA and subsequent return. Many of us are feeling let down. Television needs more, not less, of strong female role models. Sam Carter, as portrayed by Amanda, has been one of the best examples for years.

Juggling motherhood and a fulltime career is not an easy matter ... hats off to Amanda for even taking on such a daunting task! She laughingly speaks of sleep deprivation and moments of self-doubt but, in her last interview, I sensed a more balanced and good-to-go AT who had readjusted to the demands of both worlds and was thrilled that she had the opportunity to do both because Olivia can be on set with her. As Olivia grows a little older, the immediate physical demands may lessen and I think Amanda will be ready for taking on more and more around her character's further development. I was very pleased to read that AT feels strongly about advocating for Sam should the need arise. So S10 should bring more screen time and, hopefully, fuller re-integration of Sam to the world of SGC.

But, truth be told ... Sam in S9 is hurting ... she's not yet come into her own. Will she by end of season? That remains to be seen. I'm hoping that we will be treated to some classic and memorable Sam moments before it all wraps up. She's such a joy to watch!

Here's to the future of one of the best scifi characters ever created ... the writers may have drawn her up but it was Amanda who gave her life and longevity!

Oh Jester - this was so well put - I just love this post - what a wonderful tribute to AT you included whilst stating your fears. I agree wholeheartedly with ever word. Many thanks for this!!

Comment

Just referring back to Lys's point about Sam/Vala interacition. I reckon it should be quality laugh time. I mean, I loved the little bit of Sam/Vala stuff in Beachhead. The Shaft joke.

I personally find that Sam seems to be more relaxed this season, more herself. Although I always pictured Sam being the one with loud music in the basement!
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I saw last night's ep and I thought it was actually very good.
              Spoiler:
              It was well paced and everyone had something to do.

As far as Sam's role in the episode, she didn't have much to do but it made sense that she would be working with Orlin and those scenes were well done. I liked the Sam in command moment in the gateroom where she orders the soldiers to stand down especially as it very much placed her in the base 2IC position. I also noticed in the briefing room scene with Hammond that he never mentions the word command. He congratulates Mitchell on "getting the band back together" and tells him there is no one better to watch his back than Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c but he never says anything about Mitchell being in command. I was glad to see this because it lends credence to the co-lead thing which I had begun to believe was just Joe Malozzi trying to keep fans happy.

My theory on this Carter/Mitchell command mess is that TPTB didn't originally intend to have Mitchell in command because they knew how much trouble it would cause, but SciFi or Sony wanted a male lead or Browder's fan base or both and told them to put him in the lead. The writing of Mitchell as so green is probably representative of their original idea for him and is possibly their form of protest. One thing that doesn't make sense to me, however, is why Sony or SciFi would care so much about a male lead when SciFi's also airing a show like BSG which totally disregards all those old rules and stereotypes and is the best show I've seen in a long time.

One good thing, however, about the co-lead thing is that it frees TPTB up to do a lot of different things with Sam and the position she occupies in the Stargate universe. Maybe with more changes coming and the rumored crossovers with Atlantis they'll do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelSamOneill
                I saw last night's ep and I thought it was actually very good.
                Spoiler:
                It was well paced and everyone had something to do.

As far as Sam's role in the episode, she didn't have much to do but it made sense that she would be working with Orlin and those scenes were well done. I liked the Sam in command moment in the gateroom where she orders the soldiers to stand down especially as it very much placed her in the base 2IC position. I also noticed in the briefing room scene with Hammond that he never mentions the word command. He congratulates Mitchell on "getting the band back together" and tells him there is no one better to watch his back than Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c but he never says anything about Mitchell being in command. I was glad to see this because it lends credence to the co-lead thing which I had begun to believe was just Joe Malozzi trying to keep fans happy.

My theory on this Carter/Mitchell command mess is that TPTB didn't originally intend to have Mitchell in command because they knew how much trouble it would cause, but SciFi or Sony wanted a male lead or Browder's fan base or both and told them to put him in the lead. The writing of Mitchell as so green is probably representative of their original idea for him and is possibly their form of protest. One thing that doesn't make sense to me, however, is why Sony or SciFi would care so much about a male lead when SciFi's also airing a show like BSG which totally disregards all those old rules and stereotypes and is the best show I've seen in a long time.

One good thing, however, about the co-lead thing is that it frees TPTB up to do a lot of different things with Sam and the position she occupies in the Stargate universe. Maybe with more changes coming and the rumored crossovers with Atlantis they'll do just that.

I really like this upbeat post - it balances my fears nicely. I do hope you are right - this is a really nice take on things. However I do feel Sams place is in SG1 -if not the leader a very important part of it. I also think Amanda deserves a lead billing. I am worried that crossing over will dilute her time on SG1 and she will not be a lead player in Atlantis - so she has lost the billing and exposure she rightly deserves after 8 years of class input.

Comment

Oh there is the other aspect of Sam being a great character SG1 provides the vehicles to show the many facets of her character. What will be on offer if she is taken in a different direction? Most of us on this thread love kick a$$ Carter, Scientist Sam, Sam taking control of things and being in the team watching out for her team members. I just don't want to lose this wonderful character

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    Just referring back to Lys's point about Sam/Vala interacition. I reckon it should be quality laugh time. I mean, I loved the little bit of Sam/Vala stuff in Beachhead. The Shaft joke.

I personally find that Sam seems to be more relaxed this season, more herself. Although I always pictured Sam being the one with loud music in the basement!
                    Maybe as a one off it works, but for me it is not Stargate. I can watch many a show for that type of entertainment. For me Stargate represents a totally different viewing experience.

I don't see Sam as more relaxed at all. She was totally and utterly relaxed in season 6 - well at home with herself and heading for the the lead of SG1. In season 7 things were a little more shakey and in season 8 whoever makes the decisions just bottled out on her being written as the lead of SG1 - we hardly saw any leading at all.

I have just watched the eps back to back and think SAM is not sure where she wants to be. She is and always has been relaxed about the advice she is giving and the conclusions she is drawing - that has always been a great facet of Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                      I really like this upbeat post - it balances my fears nicely. I do hope you are right - this is a really nice take on things. However I do feel Sams place is in SG1 -if not the leader a very important part of it. I also think Amanda deserves a lead billing. I am worried that crossing over will dilute her time on SG1 and she will not be a lead player in Atlantis - so she has lost the billing and exposure she rightly deserves after 8 years of class input.
                      Yeah.... but having said that, she has moved up. It used to be, back in the old days... RDA, MS, AT, CJ, DSD and for the last couple of seasons, AT has been second.
                      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Maybe as a one off it works, but for me it is not Stargate. I can watch many a show for that type of entertainment. For me Stargate represents a totally different viewing experience.

I don't see Sam as more relaxed at all. She was totally and utterly relaxed in season 6 - well at home with herself and heading for the the lead of SG1. In season 7 things were a little more shakey and in season 8 whoever makes the decisions just bottled out on her being written as the lead of SG1 - we hardly saw any leading at all.

I have just watched the eps back to back and think SAM is not sure where she wants to be. She is and always has been relaxed about the advice she is giving and the conclusions she is drawing - that has always been a great facet of Sam.
                        Exactly ! I've never seen Sam more relaxed than in season 6. That's how I'd like to see her again, confident, strong and friendly, without all the doubting part we've seen so much in seasons 7 and 8. Sam, as shown in season 6 was ready for leadership. Remember in Nightwalkers, she was more in charge of the team than she has been in all season 8. We should have seen this part of Sam in season 8.
                        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Oh there is the other aspect of Sam being a great character SG1 provides the vehicles to show the many facets of her character. What will be on offer if she is taken in a different direction? Most of us on this thread love kick a$$ Carter, Scientist Sam, Sam taking control of things and being in the team watching out for her team members. I just don't want to lose this wonderful character
                          Yes I agree completely!! I also agree many of you that have posted today! I don't want to lose one of my favorite characters either. I already lost one in RDA/Jack with no storyline explanation as to why. I worry they will treat AT/Sam the same way. It's disheartening to see her slide into the background! I also know that she is coming off of ML and has a new bundle of joy to keep her awake at odd hours. She seems to be adjusting to motherhood rather nicely from her interviews! She sounds like she grows more in love with her daughter with each interview, which is always wonderful! I just worry the writers will forget about her and give her lines, role, etc. to someone else. So my cure for this less than stellar season is wonderful fanfic that captures the magic and characterization of Sam and the rest of the team that was developed before this "new" show aired.

Comment

I wish we'd seen Sam take Janet for a spin on her motorcycle.

I'd like to see her race Cameron.
                            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                              Yeah.... but having said that, she has moved up. It used to be, back in the old days... RDA, MS, AT, CJ, DSD and for the last couple of seasons, AT has been second.
                              Sorry I didn't make myself clear - my fault. I meant as one of the lead cast. To my mind there are 4 - the members of SG1. If Sam takes a different role and starts to cross over she will lose this lead cast place - especially if she is absent from a number of episodes. That is bad for SG1 - (IMO) and bad for Amanda's career as she doesn't get to be a lead cast member in either show.

Food for thought if you are an AT/Sam fan

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                                Exactly ! I've never seen Sam more relaxed than in season 6. That's how I'd like to see her again, confident, strong and friendly, without all the doubting part we've seen so much in seasons 7 and 8. Sam, as shown in season 6 was ready for leadership. Remember in Nightwalkers, she was more in charge of the team than she has been in all season 8. We should have seen this part of Sam in season 8.
                                I coudn't agree more - and I'm sorry I'm out of green for you!!

Comment

Working...
                                X