Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
    I recall discussing this on another post a while back. I believe it was a Q&A, or an interview where Amanda said she thought the line a little out of character or unsympathetic. I'll definitely have to scour the posts for the exact wording. Maybe someone who remembers that conversation may have more info.

Just sayin', my take was that (a) she may have wanted him to get angry and tell her off, sort of a just punishment she was willing to undergo. Instead, he let her go. What she preferred to say I don't think was mentioned.
    Yeah, I think Sam was feeling so guilty, she'd have welcomed the telling off. It would have made things easier for her if he'd have got angry. If he'd have gotten really angry, she could have justified the split by saying "I don't want to be with someone who loses his temper like this".
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31

LOL!!! even our geek Sam can't wait i on the other hand have to wait untill Tuesday night to see part two
      ......TARA......

Comment

All Hail Geek Sam
        A life without ship is no life at all.

Comment

Geek!Sam -> AT with special guest star Olivia B!

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
            LOL!!! even our geek Sam can't wait i on the other hand have to wait untill Tuesday night to see part two
            I share your pain to a certain extent, Tara. I'm recording it and I won't be able to watch it until Monday probably.
            If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
            proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
            Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Hey, I saw ALL HAIL GEEK and I got all excited.... and then it said Sam. Dammit.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

majorsal: Found one link that gave AT's feelings on the Pete thing:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=11439

Just sayin', that was an involved discussion on the Sam/Jack ship thread at the beginning of S9. Ironically I did a search and couldn't find my own comments!! But this is at least one reference to how the actress felt about THAT scene. Hope that helps?

NOTE: Still having problems posting due to slow board.
                MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                sigpic
                Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Awww........ Poor Baby!

All Hail MiniGeek
                  A Prior Of Samanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    Yeah, I think Sam was feeling so guilty, she'd have welcomed the telling off. It would have made things easier for her if he'd have got angry. If he'd have gotten really angry, she could have justified the split by saying "I don't want to be with someone who loses his temper like this".
                    Well being someone who has actually been in a relationship where trust and control was an issue, I can empathize with Sam. When I was 21, I was engaged to a man who was eight years my senior. He had a big issue with trust and wanted me to be around all the time. When I went out with my friends, he wanted to either know exactly where I would be or he'd insist upon going with me. On the occassions that I took him along, he would normally start to complain about being bored within the first thirty minutes and we'd end up calling it a night early. The thing was, when we were alone and he had my undivided attention, he was a really great guy. He treated me extremely well. He had a knack at making me laugh. I never had a doubt that he loved me; however, over time it just became an overwhelming, consuming kind of love. I felt as if I was beginning to loose a part of who I was and after being engaged to him for over a year I finally ended the relationship with him. It wasn't that I didn't love him or that I hadn't really tried to make the relationship work, it was just that it came to a point when I felt like he was trying to control my life. He was making decisions for both of us without even consulting me and I was starting to feel as if I was being suffocated. So I could totally relate with Sam with the whole dog and house scene. To come home from work and have someone tell you something like that without even discussing it with you can be really unnerving. We were never really allowed to see a lot of interaction between Sam and Pete so we don't know how often he did this type of thing, but we did see his insecurities and trust issues with her. I know Pete was trying to be sweet when he bought that house, but he totally left her out of the process of buying a home that they would be sharing together. Some people may think it wasn't really a big deal, but I believe otherwise. It would have been one thing if Pete had told Sam "Look, your place really isn't big enough for the both of us and I really can't keep commuting back and forth to Denver. Maybe it's time we start looking for a house together?" and Sam had replied that she didn't really have time to look for a house at the moment, but that she trusted Pete. At least then I would have thought Sam had overreacted, but that wasn't the case here. Sam looked totally shocked by the entire thing and I think it may have been the straw that finally broke the camels back for her.

To me this was not a quick decision for Sam. We don't really know how many times Sam may or may not have contemplated this moment over in her head before her father gave her the courage she needed to finally break it off with Pete. Being the analytical, always thinking person that she is, Sam may have laid awake at night debating with herself whether she should end her relationship with Pete for weeks, if not months. It's not always an easy task choosing between what your heart wants and what your conscience knows to be true. I really believe Sam loved Pete. She may not have loved him the same way he loved her, but I'm sure the idea of turning her back on someone who cared for her was extremely hard for Sam. I also think that the idea of failing at yet another relationship was probably a really big factor for her staying with Pete as long as she did. However, I think when she finally broke it off with Pete, she was feeling extremely guilty and had probably envisioned his reaction to be very different; so it startled her when he didn't react as she had anticipated. She had probably expected Pete to argue or question why. Honestly, after seeing the way Pete reacted after their first night together, I really can't imagine him behaving so calmly when she broke up with him unless he had expected this break-up for quite sometime as well. It was as if he was just buying his time with her, but in his heart he knew their relationship was never really going to end in marriage.

At least that's my how I look at things...

Kat
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 06 January 2006, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Hey Kat. I agree on the trust issue. I know what you mean about all-consuming love and stuff. I had one of those myself, and it's really unsettling.

Comment

Wow. Kat. That was just about the most brilliant analysis of Sam and Pete's relationship I've ever read in a forum. Wish I could green you but, there's a lock on the jello in my fridge for you.

Originally posted by ForeverSG1
                        It's not always an easy task choosing between what your heart wants and what your conscience knows to be true. I really believe Sam loved Pete. She may not have loved him the same way he loved her, but I'm sure the idea of turning her back on someone who cared for her was extremely hard for Sam. I also think that the idea of failing at yet another relationship was probably a really big factor for her staying with Pete as long as she did.
                        I think the fact that Sam loved Pete, but wasn't "in love" with him was always the single biggest factor for her. And I completely agree with you that she probably did lay awake at night, warring between guilt over "wrecking" another relationship - especially one wherein the guy was so devoted and so good to her - and guilt over staying with Pete for the wrong reason(s). And it DID take her dad's passing to give her the courage she needed (and the insight) to make the final decision a reality.

Personally, I also think it would have (and probably did) give her the impetus she needed to talk to Jack as well, and finally lay her position and her feelings on the table with him, whether he "wanted to talk about it" or not. That, in my own head, was one of the reasons that she might have decided to take time in Nevada. For Cassie; but also for some distance, some perspective, and some time to clear her priorities. If I'd been writing it, I'd likely have made Sam's decision to relocate the major catalyst in Jack's decision to move on from the SGC and move to DC for the HHS post at the Pentagon.

Yes, I'm a S/J shipper, so I look at the two decisions as enmeshed. Especially since THREADS painted a portrait where Sam's angst (at every turn) was very clearly tied into her unresolved feelings for Jack. I don't see those decisions as necessarily having been the "final resolution" for either of them, but I do see them as being linked together. Jack placing distance between himself and the command structure of the SGC. Sam placing distance between herself and the SGC period (and all of the things she "thought" for so long had been her whole life; the most important part(s) of her life for so many years).

Sam's priorities changed. And I think Jack (being Jack) backed off to give her space, and to give the spark of whatever they "might have, someday" a real chance to grow into something more - if it was ever meant to do so.

That's how I saw THREADS, and how I rationalized (in my own mind) all of the canon decisions Sam appeared to make subsequently vis-a-vis her career and her life.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          Well being someone who has actually been in a relationship where trust and control was an issue, I can empathize with Sam. When I was 21, I was engaged to a man who was eight years my senior. He had a big issue with trust and wanted me to be around all the time. When I went out with my friends, he wanted to either know exactly where I would be or he'd insist upon going with me. On the occassions that I took him along, he would normally start to complain about being bored within the first thirty minutes and we'd end up calling it a night early. The thing was, when we were alone and he had my undivided attention, he was a really great guy. He treated me extremely well. He had a knack at making me laugh. I never had a doubt that he loved me; however, over time it just became an overwhelming, consuming kind of love. I felt as if I was beginning to loose a part of who I was and after being engaged to him for over a year I finally ended the relationship with him. It wasn't that I didn't love him or that I hadn't really tried to make the relationship work, it was just that it came to a point when I felt like he was trying to control my life. He was making discussions for both of us without even consulting me and I was starting to feel as if I was being suffocated. So I could totally relate with Sam with the whole dog and house scene. To come home from work and have someone tell you something like that without even discussing it with you can be really unnerving. We were never really allowed to see a lot of interaction between Sam and Pete so we don't know how often he did this type of thing, but we did see his insecurities and trust issues with her. I know Pete was trying to be sweet when he bought that house, but he totally left her out of the process of buying a home that they would be sharing together. Some people may think it wasn't really a big deal, but I believe otherwise. It would have been one thing if Pete had told Sam "Look, your place really isn't big enough for the both of us and I really can't keep commuting back and forth to Denver. Maybe it's time we start looking for a house together?" and Sam had replied that she didn't really have time to look for a house at the moment, but that she trusted Pete. At least then I would have thought Sam had overreacted, but that wasn't the case here. Sam looked totally shocked by the entire thing and I think it may have been the straw that finally broke the camels back for her.

To me this was not a quick decision for Sam. We don't really know how many times Sam may or may not have contemplated this moment over in her head before her father gave her the courage she needed to finally break it off with Pete. Being the analytical, always thinking person that she is, Sam may have laid awake at night debating with herself whether she should end her relationship with Pete for weeks, if not months. It's not always an easy task choosing between what your heart wants and what your conscience knows to be true. I really believe Sam loved Pete. She may not have loved him the same way he loved her, but I'm sure the idea of turning her back on someone who cared for her was extremely hard for Sam. I also think that the idea of failing at yet another relationship was probably a really big factor for her staying with Pete as long as she did. However, I think when she finally broke it off with Pete, she was feeling extremely guilty and had probably envisioned his reaction to be very different; so it startled her when he didn't react as she had anticipated. She had probably expected Pete to argue or question why. Honestly, after seeing the way Pete reacted after their first night together, I really can't imagine him behaving so calmly when she broke up with him unless he had expected this break-up for quite sometime as well. It was as if he was just buying his time with her, but in his heart he knew their relationship was never really going to end in marriage.

At least that's my how I look at things...

Kat
                          Wow, Kat. Thanks so much for sharing. I usually just say 'I'm not bitter'. This analysis is spot on. I was in a situation similar to yours. It starts with them ordering your dinner for you, checking up on your background and following you around. The next thing you know they're buying houses! LOL. Seriously, the house thing would have FREAKED ME OUT. Waay over the top. I agree with you, although Pete was trying to be sweet, I think the house thing was a huge deal for Sam. I just watched the ep and the look on her face as she gets out of the vehicle says it all. If he hadn't followed her around and done some of the other things it *might* be different but you are right - the house was 'the proverbial straw' to quote Jack.

p.s. I'm not bitter!
                          If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                          proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                          Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            After trying to make sense of her line for some time now, I've thought maybe it was a case of accidentally saying something out loud that you're thinking. I don't think she realized that *he* knew she was having doubts, so I think she thought he'd be more surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              sun, since you know about ben a lot more than me, i have a question for you. (i hope i can present this correctly)

did ben seem a little... kind of like he was missing some enthusiasm for being on the show now? i've only read one of his interviews before, and i don't know what his personality really is like, but... i wasn't sure if i was picking up on things that weren't really there, but i just felt a bit of a 'downness' in comparison to the last interview i'd read. did you feel that at all?
                              I haven't had a chance to read the interview completely, but when I saw him in November, he was excited about being on the show. Knowing his personality, I'm sure he's still having a ball. I think the guy is just happy to be working and on another fabulous scifi show.
                              sigpic
                              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                                Sorry, but to me, SciLie didn't originate SG1 - that was MGM and Showtime. They just picked it up when Showtime dumped it. That's not original.
                                I wholly agree. Every time I hear that stupid little blurb before the show starts, I cringe (so, that's been about two years now), because I've NEVER thought that it was THEIR original show. Pshaw. Whatever. I guess it's a whole lot easier than saying, "And now, One of SciFi's Most Popularly Acquired Series... Stargate SG-1." Sheesh.

Comment

Working...
                                X