Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    WHAT! That's AWFUL! I mean, Lexa was bound to be on it, being Shanks's wife and star of two Sci-fi shows, but why Teryl and not Amanda?
    I think Amanda was on maternity leave or still pregnant.
    Last edited by ChevronSeven; 04 January 2006, 05:22 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
      WHAT! That's AWFUL! I mean, Lexa was bound to be on it, being Shanks's wife and star of two Sci-fi shows, but why Teryl and not Amanda?
      There's no way to know for sure, but I can't imagine they excluded her on purpose for some machiavellian reason. I bet she wasn't up for the photoshoot (whether she was still pregnant at the time and didn't opt to be part of it, or there was some other reason).

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
        so when you're down like that, what's your favourite Sam ep to pick you up again?

I think I'd go for Ascension. It isn't my favourite Sam ep, but it is the one that reminds me the most about what I like about Sam.
        Thanks for asking! The eps I regularly turn to are:

The Tok'Ra 1&2
        Space Race
        Foothold!!!
        Emancipation
        Ascension
        Nightwalkers

Those are the ones off the top of my head - I'm probably missing a couple.

on edit: In the Line of Duty
        Last edited by WhatFateAlmondRoca; 04 January 2006, 05:52 AM.
        If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
        proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
        Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Some of my favorite Sam episodes are:

Entity
          Foothold
          Emancipation
          Rite of Passage
          Singularity
          sigpic

Comment

Ah Foothold! Yes of course *slaps forehead*. I don't know why I didn't think of that one. It is one of my all time favourite episodes, in my top five.

I don't think there's anything I don't like about it. It has everything. Real gasp on the edge of your seat moments (when she shoots 'Jack' and 'Major Davis'), and I just felt like cheering when she delivered that line to Maybourne "Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week! Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!"

I was totally engrossed in this episode, to the point where I didn't even realise I'd suspended my disbelief. By the time Sam puts on the device so she looks like Daniel, I was watching Sam disguised as Daniel, not Michael Shanks pretending to be Amanda Tapping pretending to be Daniel Jackson! Poor Jack when he has to put his hand down the pretend-Frasier's shirt to get the device.

Yes this is definitely now my remember why Sam is so great episode!

ChevronSeven - funnily enough I never think of Rite of Passage as a Sam episode, more as a Janet episode. I do think of Hathor as a Sam episode though. Now what would they have done if it hadn't been for her then!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gatenv
              Hi,

I've been reading posts here on and off through the holidays. Always felt like someone had covered my opinion by the time I read them. But... I've found a reason for my first post

I've enjoyed Sam as a character. The bad as well as the good should make her a stronger character. If TPTB don't know what to do with the character, maybe they could do an internet search. There are a lot of interesting women in the world.
              gatenv, welcome! , and thanks for making Samanda your very first post! Love the internet search comment!

Just sayin', please stick around, positive thoughts welcome!
              MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
              sigpic
              Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
                gatenv, welcome! , and thanks for making Samanda your very first post! Love the internet search comment!

Just sayin', please stick around, positive thoughts welcome!
                Yeah, they should start their Internet search here on the SAGC thread! I'm not biased.....there's lots of GREAT ideas and observations from members of both genders....

Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                  I liked the idea of Pete, but I'd always hoped Sam's fallback guy would have been her auto mechanic. It just would have tied in so nicely with Sam's own backstory - of which we were always told more than we were shown.<grumbles>

Instead of that silly cafe scene we could have been treated to a grease-smeared Sam&Pete on the garage floor under her Volvo a la Sam&Daniel under the mine in Serpent's Venom. In place of the insipid park scene we could have seen them in leather bike gear, leaning on their Harleys whilst looking out over the mountains where Pete could have popped the question. (I would have definitely still kept in the classy Sam goes dancing scene, though. )

IMO, making Pete a cop was a pitiful plot-prop having nothing to do with Sam.
                  I like this. It would have been really neat to see.

Another possibility would have been to make Agent Barrett the fallback guy. We already know that he has a crush on Sam. He's aware of the Stargate project, so the "what I do is classified" problem wouldn't come up. He also seems to respect Sam and what she does. And he and Sam look really good together. I really think that was a missed opportunity.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                    I like this. It would have been really neat to see.

Another possibility would have been to make Agent Barrett the fallback guy. We already know that he has a crush on Sam. He's aware of the Stargate project, so the "what I do is classified" problem wouldn't come up. He also seems to respect Sam and what she does. And he and Sam look really good together. I really think that was a missed opportunity.
                    An excellent point! I never thought of putting Barrett in that role....that could have been much better!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                      Oh and I was again appalled by the scene in 4th Horseman last night where
                      Spoiler:
                      Landry brought up Sam's "intimate relationship" with Orlin. nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more....
                      I agree. It was totally out of line. As was
                      Spoiler:
                      the comments he made in the briefing room about the anti-Ori technology. I mean the idea was huge and all he could do was act like the proposal was too difficult for him to understand. Hence Sam's "I get the idea he wasn't too impressed". He should have been, but he wasn't, and he didn't even really try to be. And that's just sad.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                        You totally do Strix! Wish I could green ya, but alas... my jello cup runneth empty.

Hey-who all is going to GABIT2 so far?? As a "flip", I was thinking of doing up a giant, professional poster-sized version of the (full body) Carter-sketch I did a little while back and getting a whole bunch of SAmandans to sign it with like a one or two line well-wish/accolade for AT, and then givin' it to her at AT2, so she gets all of OUR signatures on something one-of-a-kind for a change. Lame idea?

(and by "sign it" I mean, sign a white piece of paper, scan it in to the computer, and send it to me so I can reproduce it on the poster as-is in everyone's own handwriting)

mini(the pondering)geek
                        I think it's a fantastic idea. Do we have to be going to Gabit to sign it?
                        sigpic

Comment

I think it's a fantastic idea. Do we have to be going to Gabit to sign it?
                          i don't think so. i think it's meant to be a 'from sam fans all over' sort of thing.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jafacakes
                            I have about 12 hours of plane and train journeys in the next 2 days , can someone recomend some nice longish fics for me to read ?
                            I'm not choosy but quite like S/J and or Sam humping/angst as long as it has a happy ending .
                            Thanks
                            For long fics I like the Stargate Novel Archive which can be found here

http://www.shahrazad.net/~sgnovels/index.html

Some of my favorites are:

Orpheus Ascending - http://www.shahrazad.net/~sgnovels/s...sascending.txt
                            (a really good S/J 2010 AU fic)

The Return of Ra - http://www.shahrazad.net/~sgnovels/s...returnofra.txt
                            (an excellent action adventure gen fic)

The Hidden One-http://www.shahrazad.net/~sgnovels/storiesh/hiddenone.txt (a great Sam fic)

These are just a few - there are a lot of them on the site - enough to keep you busy for quite awhile. I tend to search by author, because once I find someone who's work I like, I tend to read all of their stuff.
                            sigpic

Comment

i'll second the rec for hidden one. it's dang good. and written by our very own gracie
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I agree. It was totally out of line. As was
                                Spoiler:
                                the comments he made in the briefing room about the anti-Ori technology. I mean the idea was huge and all he could do was act like the proposal was too difficult for him to understand. Hence Sam's "I get the idea he wasn't too impressed". He should have been, but he wasn't, and he didn't even really try to be. And that's just sad.
                                Again, to me BOTH of these things did not bode well for Sam's character IMHO. She is not getting the respect she HAS EARNED. For anyone that was just starting to watch Stargate the Next Generation, this makes Sam look like less than what she has been made to be in the entire cannon of the show. The
                                Spoiler:
                                Orlin thing would just make a new fan be like "ewww Sam is kinda strange" and the dismissal by Landry
                                is less than befitting all that Sam has done for the frellin' galaxy. IMHHHHHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X