Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    But even away from that base issue, it reflects her strength of character. She didn't say "screw the regs." She respected it even though it meant personal frustration.

Carter embodies for me true heroism and selflessness. She's a strong female character who isn't two dimensional. She isn't the wimpy character always needing to be rescued. She isn't blatant eye candy with no real purpose other than to "look good for the camera" like so many perceived Anise to be. She isn't the perfect character getting everything right all the time.

She's a flawed and emotional character who does the best she can...acknowledges when she messes up but doesn't wallow in those mistakes because she knows it's a waste of time.

Here's a bit of dialogue that expresses what I'm trying to say:

SAM: Look, Jay...I-I know you feel bad about this.

FELGER: (chuckles lightly) What's to feel bad about? I mean, it probably took the ancients a thousand years to build the 'gate system, and I... (whistles) ...wrecked it in a single day. Not to mention the fact that I've isolated us from all the off-world resources we're going to need to defend ourselves, leaving us sitting ducks for the next Goa'uld attack. But who cares?

SAM: Look...I need you to get past feeling guilty and focus on finding a solution.

FELGER: That's easy for you to say 'cause you never make mistakes.

SAM: I don't?

FELGER: Oh, come on...you're perfect. Everybody knows that.

SAM: Jay...I'm not perfect.

I think the sentence I've bolded really emphasizes what I was trying to say. She makes mistakes and some of those mistakes are doozies and people have suffered because of those mistakes. But she doesn't dwell on it. She does what she can to fix things when she messes up, does her best to learn from her mistakes, doesn't allow herself to be swallowed up by the guilt of her mistakes and focuses on what needs to be done.
    You know what, I find that that seems to be Amanda's philosophy as well. Just dwell, it's happened, learn and put it right. Or if you can't put it right, use it. Make it work for you. If I could just do that and stop wallowing in self pity.... if we all could.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I loved Sam in Singularity especially the elevator scene when she is struggling with following orders or going back to be with Cassie even if it means death, because she promised Cassie she would never leave her. Think what Cassie would be like if Sam had not gone back down.

In Solitudes when she is fighting a losing battle against time to get her and Jack home. She was trying to take care of his injuries and dig out the DHD with limited supplies. There was a huge amount of responsibility on her young shoulders and I think she handled it very well! The last moment when all efforts including plan B failed I think show her courage the most. No water or food to live on. No heat and No way home after several days of trying. There are only so many days you can live on water especially in below zero temps. Did she panic? Did she go crazy? No. She tried to keep both of them warm. She allowed Jack to think she was his wife in his hyperthermic state. She offered him comfort.

The biggest astonished wow moment was probably at the end of Divide and Conquer when she fired the zat a third time at Martouf. He pleaded with her and she had to do the most difficult thing I think the character has had to do. I would have loved for the writers to explore how this affected Sam. She was driven by duty and I think compassion. Why else would she be the one to fire the zat instead of another Tok’ra, a number of SGC personnel or Secrete Service men standing pointing their weapons at him. If anyone ever had doubts about her emotions, feelings getting in the way of her job she just proved them wrong in that heart wrenching moment. It’s what leaders are made of.

Comment

FYI - for any comfort/positive thinking and vibes it may bring; in response to a question on his blog of whether Carter is a member of SG1 in S10 Joe's response was "Yup".

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
          FYI - for any comfort/positive thinking and vibes it may bring; in response to a question on his blog of whether Carter is a member of SG1 in S10 Joe's response was "Yup".
          Whoot!

See.... there's some love to share around.

Comment

Captioned:

AT(thinking to self): I can do this. I'm a professional. I just have to keep my mind on the scene and ignore that fact that mom is watching me make-out with someone...to whom I'm not married. Not a problem at all. Right? Right. What am I doing again? Kissing. That's it. I can do this.

DDL( thinking to self ): This is so cool. I can't believe I get paid to make-out with Amanda. Puker up buddy boy, here it comes.

Comment

Or how about:

Amanda: I really wish I hadn't checked out Gateworld last night. Especially not after watching Toy Story.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                Captioned:

AT(thinking to self): I can do this. I'm a professional. I just have to keep my mind on the scene and ignore that fact that mom is watching me make-out with someone...to whom I'm not married. Not a problem at all. Right? Right. What am I doing again? Kissing. That's it. I can do this.

DDL( thinking to self ): This is so cool. I can't believe I get paid to make-out with Amanda. Puker up buddy boy, here it comes.

Did you know that AT's mom was on the set and actually in that scene behind them on the playground. I thought that was cool ... for her mom to be there... not the whole kissing pete thing.
                but you probably already knew that since your caption seems to imply that ... sorry slow day.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane

This week, because I'm so moved and upset by what I read, I want each of you to tell us one moment where AT in her role as Sam (and I mean in character, not in her private life) has changed your life or influenced you for the better.
                  This has to be one of my favorite moments of all time: In the episode Ascension when Orlin tells Sam "That you’re a good person, that your heart is pure, that on the inside your spirit is as beautiful as you are on the outside."

I also think that this describes Amanda.

Comment

Have you seen Amanda Tapping's stance on sci fi
                    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                    love Torri

Comment

here's something for the non-sam/jack fans among us

It's that time of year again! Time for the SG-1 and (for the first
                      time) Atlantis Secondary ship awards - the Isis Awards.

Many of you may remember our awards from last year. Well, this year
                      we're (hopefully) going to be bigger and better, now that we've added
                      the Atlantis secondary ships to the award.

As with last year, this award excludes the primary ship for each
                      show, which we have determined is Sam/Jack for SG-1 and Sheppard/Weir
                      for Atlantis. (I realize some may disagree with the decision to
                      exclude Sheppard/Weir, but as it seems to be the most prevalent het
                      pairing in Atlantis fandom, we're considering it the primary Atlantis
                      ship for now regardless of where canon goes.) This award is to give
                      the authors who write for pairings with lesser followings a chance
                      for their day in the sun.

The site has been moved from last year, so please follow this link to
                      reach the new site - http://isis.worldstowander.com/

Nominations open on January 1, and will remain open for two weeks.
                      Please read the rules before nominating, as we have altered them
                      slightly from last year.

I hope this year's awards go smoothly, and that everybody has a good
                      time nominating, reading, and voting for their favourite fan
                      fictions. Thanks to everybody who participates!

Meg and Azar

so...if you know of any ship fic (i think it's het only, sorry folks) that's not sam/jack you might want to look into nomming it. They do have a point in that those that don't write the popular pairing are often ignored when it comes to awards time
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                        love Torri

Comment

Thanks for posting that, Sky.

Comment

So many great Sam moments! It's hard to fulfill Tracy's challenge.

I love the Sam who was willing to die with Cassie rather than leaving her to die alone in Singularity.

I love the Sam who comforted and protected Jack in the arctic, when they found the second stargate in Solitudes.

I love the Sam who showed a whole society what a woman's worth is in Emancipation.

I love the Sam who helped her father to understand her work and helped save his life in The Tok'ra.

I love the Sam who figured out how to get everyone home in 1969.

I love the Sam who worked so hard to get Jack back in A Hundred Days.

I love the Sam who told Jack to leave her behind in Upgrades (and I love Jack for not doing it!).

I love the Sam who was free to express her love in Beneath the Surface.

I love the Sam who helped Orlin in Ascension.

I love the snarky "secret agent" Sam from Nightwalkers.

I love the brave Sam in Metamorphosis.

I love the adventurous Sam from Space Race.

I love the Sam who tried to come to terms with her life in Grace.

I love the Sam who fought so hard for her life in Death Knell.

I love the Sam who stood up to Fifth in New Order.

I love the Sam who came to terms with her life and her future in Threads.

So, what's not to love?

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn

I love the Sam who was willing to die with Cassie rather than leaving her to die alone in Singularity.

I love the Sam who comforted and protected Jack in the arctic, when they found the second stargate in Solitudes.

I love the Sam who showed a whole society what a woman's worth is in Emancipation.

I love the Sam who helped her father to understand her work and helped save his life in The Tok'ra.

I love the Sam who told Jack to leave her behind in Upgrades (and I love Jack for not doing it!).

So, what's not to love?
                              Indeed, sg-1fanintn and you just about named them all!

I admired Sam when she ordered Teal'c to keep blasting the entities in Message in a Bottle, knowing it was not only causing Jack pain but that it could kill him. Duty first, although she clearly wished it wasn't necessary to save the world.

Just sayin', gotta love her! WHOO-HOOO! Feelin' the love in Samanda!
                              MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                              sigpic
                              Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn

So, what's not to love?

Wonderful list!! I agree with each one. Your list includes a lot of my favorite scenes!

Comment

Working...
                                X