Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
    I didn't mean to ignite a firestorm my first night back.
    Well, of course not; and anyone who has followed your posts on the thread for a while will realize that. (((SG-1fanintn)))

You know, there's been a lot of change on the show recently, and some people aren't going to like that. Some people will. It will polarize opinions. AT sounds a little insecure about her roll on the show, and so, too are we.

It doesn't take a lot to set people off because we're on edge. We're passionate about the show and this character, and that passion will be reflected in many of our posts. I think we just need to be sensitive to that fact and forgive the occasional rant, even when we don't agree with it. Point, counter-point, just try to keep it civil. Personally, I'd rather see a negative post or two than not see those people post at all. And if it brings about some counter-points, then great.

Hopefully things will settle down once the season starts again, and we can debate more concrete things like the episodes themselves instead of worrying about nebulous things like what might happen in season 10.

My LJ

Comment

Speaking from the point of view of someone who's only seen a couple of episodes of Season9:

I really hope that things do settle down once the episodes can be discussed. I guess that sort of happened last time.

Though meanwhile I really miss members who have left. And I mean REALLY.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
        Well, of course not; and anyone who has followed your posts on the thread for a while will realize that. (((SG-1fanintn)))

You know, there's been a lot of change on the show recently, and some people aren't going to like that. Some people will. It will polarize opinions. AT sounds a little insecure about her roll on the show, and so, too are we.

It doesn't take a lot to set people off because we're on edge. We're passionate about the show and this character, and that passion will be reflected in many of our posts. I think we just need to be sensitive to that fact and forgive the occasional rant, even when we don't agree with it. Point, counter-point, just try to keep it civil. Personally, I'd rather see a negative post or two than not see those people post at all. And if it brings about some counter-points, then great.

Hopefully things will settle down once the season starts again, and we can debate more concrete things like the episodes themselves instead of worrying about nebulous things like what might happen in season 10.

[begin delurk]Let me make this perfectly clear, I am being kind. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit offended at the implications, but I'm not that upset. I'll get over it. Trust me. The problem with the written word is that people can not see what you're doing with your body language or facial expressions. If you all could have seen my body language and facial expressions with most of my recent posts, you'd know that I was in a very good mood and was just trying to have fun and spread the love. Sadly, no one could see it.

The thing is, it's all about perspective. I do not perceive things as most here do and it's apparently got some to thinking that I'm upset or trying to make you all think I am. I'm not, I'm just tired of feeling like I can't share my love of both characters here, were I've felt the most welcome on this site.

I don't perceive things with Amanda as dire as the rest of you do, maybe that's be cause deep in my heart, I am an actor and know that sometimes, as an actor, you don't know what's going to happen with your character from one minute to the next. That's part of the beauty and nightmare of being an actor.

anyhoo...as I said, I'm sorry that so many have perceived my words as they have. Sadly, you all can't see my body language and the expressions on my face when I've posted here. Just as I can't see you all. You all also can't see what kind of day I've had as I can't see what kind of day you might have had.

[end delurk]
        Last edited by SunKrux; 27 December 2005, 08:49 PM.
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

PEACE
          We do have Hic Comitas Regit as our motto for a reason. Let's all try to be kind.
          I'm going offline now. I hope I haven't inflamed the matter with any of my posts. I'll be on again either tonight or tomorrow, and I hope someone's started a game or something by then. We need to play something. Screencaps... captions... anything. Let's have fun for a while, you never know, it might be... fun.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
            I hope people don't go mad at me, but I'm just going to probably cross a lot of lines.

I don't like Vala. However, I don't have a problem with people (who do like her) posting on this thread. It's good to hear different viewpoints. And I don't want anyone dissing any character on this thread, not Vala, not anyone. However, I don't want the people who don't like Vala to be scared off of this thread because they can't say anything positive about Vala.
            I don't want anyone to leave just because they feel they are being too negative (Sal, Coley, and others, I hope you change your minds).
            We've not always been perfect. There've been negative times and positive times, and it's impossible to be either negative or positive forever. So lets all try to be a bit more understanding towards each other.

Though maybe sg-1fanintn is right, if there is a big enough group of people who like Vala, maybe a new thread should be started. That is not to say we don't want you posting here guys! Just, maybe if there weren't so many posts about Vala in the Sam thread, then the Vala/Sam debate wouldn't get so strong. All I'm saying is, it's like trying to avoid the subject of Politics during family meetups. So long as you can steer clear of it, nobody argues about it. As soon as it's mentioned, everyone wants to defend their opinions all over again, and of course, everyone disagrees.

I think we've all got a good idea by now of who detests Vala, who likes Vala, who wants both Vala and Sam on the show, and who doesn't. Aren't we just going around in circles now?

I know everyone wants to discuss the new and upcoming, but could I make a small suggestion? Nobody has to take it up, but...

How about we all talk about season 1-7 for a while. That might cool the air.

And I assure you, it's a heatwave day here in Aus, and the air is hot enough .

I just know that there are too many people leaving because they can't be positive about season 9-10.

Just so we're cool on this.....I hate Jonas.
            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

If it is just a quirky sense of humour, then I apologise for the comment I made to you earlier Map. It really did sound like you were trying to say something cryptically derogatory about other Samandans being too 'holier than thou' or something to that effect.
              Please accept my apologies.
              My sense of humour isn't quirky...It's just abit cool, motivated and makes you wanna say 'Wow, what a guy' towards me. It's okay 'deepspace'.

ALL DEBTS HAVE NOW BEEN REPAID...-I love this line.
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

PEACE
                We do have Hic Comitas Regit as our motto for a reason. Let's all try to be kind.
                I'm going offline now. I hope I haven't inflamed the matter with any of my posts. I'll be on again either tonight or tomorrow, and I hope someone's started a game or something by then. We need to play something. Screencaps... captions... anything. Let's have fun for a while, you never know, it might be... fun.
                Wow I just returned home from a rehearsal and have 3 pages to get caught up on. This is the most posting that has happened here in a few days.

Okay Deepspace how about a caption but from a con picture instead of an episode screencap for something a little different.

Caption This:

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                  Ah, I guess it's just a quirky sense of humor then? As for your question, I suppose it would depend on how well it was written. I think it would have to be very, very clever...
                  No, Not really. Just imagine Jonas Quinn waltzing through the gate one day and announcing that once again trouble has hit home, the SGC take him in and as the episode continues people become helplessly attracted to the poor guy (even Teal'c and master Bratac). The only person who seems to be unaffected by the whole thing is a certain General O'Niell (retired), he is sent in and goes up against all of his old comrades at the SGC.
                  He chases Jonas to the gate room (Jonas is screaming that it's not his fault) and throws Jonas into that deadly 'swoosh' thing that shoots out of the gate before forming the event horizon.

Thus ending the saddest chapter in american history....

sigpic

Comment

Whoa. I see there's been "activity" here and not of the happy, positive kind. I feel the need to take up arms in defense of myself and others who see the potential that Vala has and will bring to the show, especially with regard to Sam (staying on topic).

Let's not fall into the trap of other aspects of fandom. Samandan's gates are open to all who appreciate Sam...even those who *gasp* liked PETE! Let's not get into a tizzy and fall into that same either/or trap that so many others do.

I don't believe that Sam will be lessened by Vala being there. In fact, I believe that just the opposite could occur. We'll get more Sam BECAUSE of Vala. They can bring things out in each other that's buried beneath the surface.

For Vala, I saw that depth in The Powers that Be. It was there. Vala could not cover with her typical routine because she was genuinely moved and disheartened that she couldn't help those people. That one moment made me see she was not the cliche I had written her off to be.

For Sam, she could easily become all focused on her work and shut out everything else. Whatever your feelings for Jack/Sam ship (and you all know I'm in favor of it), her dealings with Jack (shippy and non) brought out aspects of Sam's personality that might otherwise remain dormant. I rewatched 48 Hours tonight and was delighted with the banter between Sam and McKay because he brought out her snarkier side...I think Vala has that same potential.

So this is what would make Mary Beth happy right now and through Season 10:

*SG-1 with Sam continuing as a powerful, brilliant and necessary element
                    *Sam and Vala developing a great friendship based on their similarities and differences
                    *Vala and Sam bringing out a wide variety of traits in each other that will be a delight for me to watch
                    *at least ONE definitive Sam/Jack scene, but I'd settle for 20...something onscreen that continues that arc like maybe one good kiss. Hey, it's my wish list...and one kiss out of the 40 episodes that make up seasons 9 and 10 isn't asking too much now is it???

As for Samanda...I might be only the Royal Videographer and Royal Pain in the Mik'ta and I'm not a mod so, you know, feel free to disregard what I'm saying, but I have strong feelings when our Royal Sambassador (who has pretty thick skin) feels unwanted and unloved. IN SAMANDA. Please tell me that you agree and see this as a problem too.

One of the things that makes us different is that we can fuss every once in a while and have strong feelings and concerns, but we don't lower ourselves to bashing. Ever. And if someone feels unwelcome "Where Kindness Reigns," we need to rethink what we're saying to ensure that it's not hurtful or inconsiderate.

While Vala is a fictional character, she means something to people. Just like Sam means something to us. What if we went on another thread about...oh, Jack, let's say...and we identified ourselves as a Jack fan AND a Sam fan and the other posters continued to say things that were negative about Sam even knowing we were there too? It would hurt our feelings, wouldn't it?

So while I'm not saying that we should bite our tongues, I am saying that...well, okay. I'm saying we should bite our tongues. A little. And while I'm not suggesting we censor ourselves and be dishonest, I am suggesting that we give thought to the words that we type with the understanding that our words might be hurtful to others and what they appreciate.

Just give that extra consideration for a second or two before clicking the submit button as to how it would affect our fellow Samandans.

Even Pete fans.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Guys. I think the problem here is that character-hate does not fall far from the tree of actor-hate when it comes to those who feel passionately about their favorite character(s). And really - to the actors themselves.

Look what Amanda's interview expressed just today - actors are human; they're people, and they can feel hurt or take it personally when they read hateful comments about their character (whom they embody) - just as we can take it personally and/or feel passionately when our preferred/favorite characters are maligned as well (case in point the vehement anti-Jonas statement in the post above - I'm not a particular Jonas fan, but I'm using that as an example).

This is exactly how the mean-ness began in the other forum (which I'm not going to name); people starting "anti" character threads and/or popping into one character's pro thread to trash another character.

Is it worth it?

I know no one has asked me (but if ya had) I'd say - no. Hate directed at a person has no place where it can possibly do good. Whether that's character hate or actor hate in this case. "Sam Carter" is indeed a fictional idea, but she is represented and embodied by a person.

Expressing distaste for an idea, a motivator, a plot (in a thoughtful, constructively critical way) is good catharsis if we dislike an idea or even something a character does. But expressing a unilateral "hatred" or "anti(whomever" point of view is bound for nothing but upsetting someone else's notion of moral justice, however you slice it. SOMEONE is going to end up with feelings put out.

And since there are a million and one considerate, constructive ways to (publicly) say "I don't really like or care for...X" without maligning a specific person or an entire character-concept, I think it's safe to say we should probably try our best to consider the way we phrase our public statements on those matters.

In my personal opinion, no one has to end up with hurt feelings, so long as we remember that - no matter what we say - there are real people on the other end of the table reading it.

If you want a great example of how to do just this - read Amanda's latest Gateworld interview where she got across the fact that she REALLY disagreed with (and didn't like) one of the scenes she had to play; without ever once insinuating that any one person should be held responsible for that, or that she thought any less of anyone for the outcome. I think she's a shining example of how to say something publicly critical - constructively - and still respect the integrity of anyyone who might feel they have a stake in the matter.

And since she's supposed to be the proverbial "Queen" 'round these parts...

Just a thought...

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                        Whoa. I see there's been "activity" here and not of the happy, positive kind. I feel the need to take up arms in defense of myself and others who see the potential that Vala has and will bring to the show, especially with regard to Sam (staying on topic).

Let's not fall into the trap of other aspects of fandom. Samandan's gates are open to all who appreciate Sam...even those who *gasp* liked PETE! Let's not get into a tizzy and fall into that same either/or trap that so many others do.

I don't believe that Sam will be lessened by Vala being there. In fact, I believe that just the opposite could occur. We'll get more Sam BECAUSE of Vala. They can bring things out in each other that's buried beneath the surface.

For Vala, I saw that depth in The Powers that Be. It was there. Vala could not cover with her typical routine because she was genuinely moved and disheartened that she couldn't help those people. That one moment made me see she was not the cliche I had written her off to be.

For Sam, she could easily become all focused on her work and shut out everything else. Whatever your feelings for Jack/Sam ship (and you all know I'm in favor of it), her dealings with Jack (shippy and non) brought out aspects of Sam's personality that might otherwise remain dormant. I rewatched 48 Hours tonight and was delighted with the banter between Sam and McKay because he brought out her snarkier side...I think Vala has that same potential.

So this is what would make Mary Beth happy right now and through Season 10:

*SG-1 with Sam continuing as a powerful, brilliant and necessary element
                        *Sam and Vala developing a great friendship based on their similarities and differences
                        *Vala and Sam bringing out a wide variety of traits in each other that will be a delight for me to watch
                        *at least ONE definitive Sam/Jack scene, but I'd settle for 20...something onscreen that continues that arc like maybe one good kiss. Hey, it's my wish list...and one kiss out of the 40 episodes that make up seasons 9 and 10 isn't asking too much now is it???

As for Samanda...I might be only the Royal Videographer and Royal Pain in the Mik'ta and I'm not a mod so, you know, feel free to disregard what I'm saying, but I have strong feelings when our Royal Sambassador (who has pretty thick skin) feels unwanted and unloved. IN SAMANDA. Please tell me that you agree and see this as a problem too.

One of the things that makes us different is that we can fuss every once in a while and have strong feelings and concerns, but we don't lower ourselves to bashing. Ever. And if someone feels unwelcome "Where Kindness Reigns," we need to rethink what we're saying to ensure that it's not hurtful or inconsiderate.

While Vala is a fictional character, she means something to people. Just like Sam means something to us. What if we went on another thread about...oh, Jack, let's say...and we identified ourselves as a Jack fan AND a Sam fan and the other posters continued to say things that were negative about Sam even knowing we were there too? It would hurt our feelings, wouldn't it?

So while I'm not saying that we should bite our tongues, I am saying that...well, okay. I'm saying we should bite our tongues. A little. And while I'm not suggesting we censor ourselves and be dishonest, I am suggesting that we give thought to the words that we type with the understanding that our words might be hurtful to others and what they appreciate.

Just give that extra consideration for a second or two before clicking the submit button as to how it would affect our fellow Samandans.

Even Pete fans.
                        yeah, I get the same feeling. I understand that some people are less than thrilled about the current and future seasons, but quite frankly I'm getting abit frustrated at all the Anti-Vala, Anti-Mitchell, Anti-S9, Anti-10, Anti-PTB (well, ok maybe they deserve that one ) stuff thats going on. I admit that there are a few things I find a little dodgy, but overall I'm optimistic with things.
                        I think we need to remember that Samanda is a place where we're meant to have fun and enjoy ourselves. And I honestly don't think anyone can have fun and enjoy themselves by going into comprehensive detail as to why they don't like they way things are going

Comment

Darn it Uber and Ad, I can't green either of ya but... well said.

Criticism is great. Critical threads and critical essays are necessary and in my opinion, even helpful. But hate threads, hate essays, and mean-spirited jibes - whether towards the actors or towards the characaters they play (to my mind) - are simply not cool.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Hey peeps! Greetings and happy holidays! I've been away on vacation with the family, so I (perhaps thankfully) missed all of the chaos that exploded a few days ago. It appears as if the effects are still lingering, though...

At any rate, I just wanted to give Mary Beth, minigeek and Agent Dark two thumbs up for their posts. I can only imagine how crazy it's been around here and other parts of the fandom lately, but seeing a proactive approach being taken on such a hot topic in Samanda makes me think that we will get through all of the insanity. If only for a little while.

So, take care guys! Hope you guys have a great new year (if you celebrate it on January 1st) and a safe rest of the holiday season!

~ the dancer of spaz
                            Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 27 December 2005, 10:10 PM. Reason: Edited to give the fantastic Agent Dark his props!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              yeah, I get the same feeling. I understand that some people are less than thrilled about the current and future seasons, but quite frankly I'm getting abit frustrated at all the Anti-Vala, Anti-Mitchell, Anti-S9, Anti-10, Anti-PTB (well, ok maybe they deserve that one ) stuff thats going on. I admit that there are a few things I find a little dodgy, but overall I'm optimistic with things.
                              I think we need to remember that Samanda is a place where we're meant to have fun and enjoy ourselves. And I honestly don't think anyone can have fun and enjoy themselves by going into comprehensive detail as to why they don't like they way things are going
                              I agree. With you and minigeek.

Look folks...let's kinda make a pact to be constructively critical of any and all characters but with a very HIGH focus on the fact that there are lots of fans for those characters who post here because they love Sam too. Let's be overtly considerate or we'll lose our licensing rights to "Hic Comitas Regit" okay???

Besides, there are several anti this and that threads (and believe me I've vented over there when needed)...let's keep Samanda a bit more positive.

What say ye???

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hey Über here is a nice shippy picture for you

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2982/sp2cs.jpg
                                Sally this is me playing with Über you may not want to see the picture - it's why I only posted a link and not the pic.
                                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X