No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am totally loving te interviews with Amanda on Gateworld. And I adore her for being such a dedicated and wonderful mum, to the point where she's feeding Olivia while talking in the interview. I think she is amazing, for that alone, but there's so much more about her which makes her outstanding.
    This though made me cry:
    AT: It's interesting. I go on GateWorld. It's one of the few sites I visit because I don't go on the Internet a lot. I catch all these things that I shouldn't. I take things way too personally. So when people say disparaging things about the character, disparaging things about myself, it's very painful. I'm human, right? So it hurts. I also read wonderful, inspirational things that people have written about the show and how the show has affected them. The friends that they've made because of it. I think about that, too.
    It's just like her to take anything negative said about her to heart. Part of me had my heart leaping at the thought that she visited Gateworld, and another part feels really sorry for her, because if she's encountered some of the horrid posts that I've encountered on the forum in the past, then...

But I love that she loves her fans.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
      Hey SunKrux - thanks for the post.
      Your welcome and I honestly do mean it!

<snippitydoda> I read the recent blog comment by mallozzi about the chat between she and mitchell as the beginnings of the set-up for the FS fans . . . I think S10 may see some very angry daniel fans when vala starts spending a lot more of her time with mitchell and NOT daniel.
      Actually I hope to high heaven that that NEVER happens. I said it in the "Why does she have to JOIN the team" thread, that FS has been done and that I hope TPTB don't try to do "FS" instead of SG, cause quite frankly (don't hate me people) the writers of SG, IMHO, don't have what it takes to make FS. There I said it. Please don't take that to mean that I think either show is better than the other, it just means that while both shows are of the SciFi genre, they are NOT THE SAME and should NEVER be!

We'll see - well you'll (the people who watch) will see. I'll lurk and if it sounds like I am wrong then maybe I'll watch but anyway - Happy New Year.
      I hope for all concerned things do turn out better than some are specutlating they will. Either way, don't stay away too long, regardless of what happens with the show and whether you like it or not. Just come hang out with your Samanda buds and chill.
      sigpic
      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
        If I might be permitted the indulgence of Samanda to make an observation:

After three weeks of involuntary absence due to work demands, I am back, and I can tell a distinct difference in the tone of the thread. And it's not good. What seems strange to me? It's the number of OT posts, most notably, those singing the praises of the newest full-time member of the SG-1 cast.

I know (and appreciate) that our discussions here have always been very open, and have often gone off-topic to discuss news of interest to the group. However, this is the Sam is a Great Character Thread. I kindly (and without malice) suggest that those who want to regularly praise another character should establish a thread for that purpose and hold their discussions of that character there. I'm not trying to run anyone off, but Sam and AT deserve better than what I've been reading here tonight. It seems it would be more appropriate, and more considerate, for some of this discussion to go to another thread. I'm not criticizing anyone, their likes and dislikes or their beliefs. I'm just saying that Gateworld is a big place, and starting a new thread is easy.

After three weeks away, my initial observance is that the folks who want to discuss Sam are spending most of their time defending her against those who like another character. This is not the thread I remember, and it's because all the positive discussion of Sam is being created in defense of her! I know some people say they like both characters, but it seems that our discussion of Sam has been diminished in the process.

I don't wish to offend anyone, and I certainly don't mean to be unkind. I pondered carefully before making those comments, because I also don't mean to overstep my boundaries as a citizen of Samanda. I simply say that this has always been a happy place, and it is not right now. And I can't believe (given the current GW climate) that some mod (and not Sky, because she is a member here) has not stepped in to make this suggestion.

Feed me cake or send the Replicators after me: your choice. But I just had to get this off my chest. I hope no one will take offense, but will simply consider these ideas.
        Sorry you feel that way. Consider my input here in the lurker mode for now...since is appears to me that I am one of the few to actually discuss something other than Amanda all the time. I was under the impression, that even though this is a thread about Amanda/Sam, that anything was allowed here. My bad and my apologies.
        Last edited by SunKrux; 27 December 2005, 07:30 PM.
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
          Well, if you're trying to make us scratch our heads about the obscurity and sometimes borderline inflammatory nature of some of your posts, you are succeeding (at least in my case).

So, do you just have a very quirky sense of humor, or are you a troll try to... I don't know what... be trollish, I guess?

Cheers,
          Strix
          C'mon! Are you seriously telling me that you wouldn't be in hysterics at the thought of Jonas accidently seducing most of the SGC? (Maybe he doesn't even realise that he's doing it) And O'Neill is the only one (like in the Hathor episode) who see's through it all and tries to save the day.
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Woah, I don't think anyone was blaming anyone here SunKrux...

TBH, I agree with sg-1fanintn - there is a fair amount negativity here lately (and btw, I don't think you're responsible for any of that at all SunKrux ). This thread should be about Sam and how awesome she is - not criticisms of other characters. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't express those criticisms, its just that I don't think this particular thread is teh best place to do it. And I know things can get slightly frustrating when we're waiting for new episodes and don't have anything new to talk about, but I still think there's probably other places those concerns should be expressed. By all means, drop me a PM or add my MSN contact (its in my profile) and I'd love to discuss something with you guys, but I think we need to keep this thread Positive and about Sam

And I hope no-one takes any of that personally - It's not a go at anyone Just my views on what should make this thread great

Comment

I hope people don't go mad at me, but I'm just going to probably cross a lot of lines.

I don't like Vala. However, I don't have a problem with people (who do like her) posting on this thread. It's good to hear different viewpoints. And I don't want anyone dissing any character on this thread, not Vala, not anyone. However, I don't want the people who don't like Vala to be scared off of this thread because they can't say anything positive about Vala.
              I don't want anyone to leave just because they feel they are being too negative (Sal, Coley, and others, I hope you change your minds).
              We've not always been perfect. There've been negative times and positive times, and it's impossible to be either negative or positive forever. So lets all try to be a bit more understanding towards each other.

Though maybe sg-1fanintn is right, if there is a big enough group of people who like Vala, maybe a new thread should be started. That is not to say we don't want you posting here guys! Just, maybe if there weren't so many posts about Vala in the Sam thread, then the Vala/Sam debate wouldn't get so strong. All I'm saying is, it's like trying to avoid the subject of Politics during family meetups. So long as you can steer clear of it, nobody argues about it. As soon as it's mentioned, everyone wants to defend their opinions all over again, and of course, everyone disagrees.

I think we've all got a good idea by now of who detests Vala, who likes Vala, who wants both Vala and Sam on the show, and who doesn't. Aren't we just going around in circles now?

I know everyone wants to discuss the new and upcoming, but could I make a small suggestion? Nobody has to take it up, but...

How about we all talk about season 1-7 for a while. That might cool the air.

And I assure you, it's a heatwave day here in Aus, and the air is hot enough .

I just know that there are too many people leaving because they can't be positive about season 9-10.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                You know what...you're right. See ya.

Any other Samandans want to chat with me...I'll be lurking. Seems to me that I'm the one that's causing all the supposed upset and I never meant to do that.

For all concerned. I ask to be taken off the Royal Court list as Sambassador. I'll be hanging in the Vala/Sam thread if anyone wants me.
                It's not any one person, SunKrux. I don't mean to single out anyone, and you're not the only person singing those praises. Also, you're entitled to your likes. It's simply that the tone of the thread is defensive, and there are lots of OT posts praising the new character. I probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't had to be away for awhile. But it was just SO different when I returned that I was shocked by it. As I said, I mean no disrespect to anyone, their opinions or their likes and dislikes. Hic Comitas Regit. I only make an observation.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                  Sorry you feel that way. Consider my input here in the lurker mode for now...since is appears to me that I am one of the few to actually discuss something other than Amanda all the time. I was under the impression, that even though this is a thread about Amanda/Sam, that anything was allowed here. My bad and my apologies.
                  Nah, you don't have anything to apoligies about SK! If it's about Sam/Amanda (or can relate back to Sam/Amanda) and its all positive (which you are) then all is cool. We need more pro Sam/Vala people! Stick around so I can have more Sam/Vala friends

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                    Though maybe sg-1fanintn is right, if there is a big enough group of people who like Vala, maybe a new thread should be started. That is not to say we don't want you posting here guys! Just, maybe if there weren't so many posts about Vala in the Sam thread, then the Vala/Sam debate wouldn't get so strong. All I'm saying is, it's like trying to avoid the subject of Politics during family meetups. So long as you can steer clear of it, nobody argues about it. As soon as it's mentioned, everyone wants to defend their opinions all over again, and of course, everyone disagrees.

I just know that there are too many people leaving because they can't be positive about season 9-10.
                    This is exactly what I was trying to say. deepspace, perhaps you said it better.

Comment

Originally Posted by SunKrux
                      You know what...you're right. See ya.

Any other Samandans want to chat with me...I'll be lurking. Seems to me that I'm the one that's causing all the supposed upset and I never meant to do that.

For all concerned. I ask to be taken off the Royal Court list as Sambassador. I'll be hanging in the Vala/Sam thread if anyone wants me.
                      Oh crap, now we've got people leaving because they like Vala.
                      Sunny, don't take this personally ok. I know you like Vala/Caludia Black, but it doesn't mean you're the target of all this!!!!!!!
                      We would never want to have you driven off because of it.
                      Gosh I wish people would stop leaving.

I, from my own personal opinion (I can't speak for others) don't want you to go Sunny. I enjoy reading your posts, nomatter what topic. I appreciate your reasons for defending Vala, as I appreciate your reasons for defending Sam.

Why has this all gotten so ugly.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                        I kindly (and without malice) suggest that those who want to regularly praise another character should establish a thread for that purpose and hold their discussions of that character there. I'm not trying to run anyone off, but Sam and AT deserve better than what I've been reading here tonight. It seems it would be more appropriate, and more considerate, for some of this discussion to go to another thread. I'm not criticizing anyone, their likes and dislikes or their beliefs. I'm just saying that Gateworld is a big place, and starting a new thread is easy.

After three weeks away, my initial observance is that the folks who want to discuss Sam are spending most of their time defending her against those who like another character.
                        Eh, just my take on it, but I don't know if that's entirely fair. I haven't really noticed anyone attacking Sam/AT on behalf of Vala (I'm assuming you're talking about Vala, anyway) on this thread, so I don't think anyone has had to "defend" Sam in that respect. Elsewhere on Gateworld, yes, but not on this thread. Most of what I have seen here is people expressing their dislike of Vala, and Vala's fans stepping in to defend her (at least recently).

It could just as easily be argued that people who don't like Vala should take their negative comments to an anti-thread.

Personally, I'm okay with discussion about Vala, both positive and negative, although I agree that it should probably be limited to discourse about how she relates to Sam, since, as you say, this is a Sam thread.

I admit I'm sort of relying on SunKrux to be a fair barometer. If she's offended by what's being said about Vala, she has a right to complain to a mod. And I know if anyone was maliciously and unfairly dissing Sam on this thread, I wouldn't hesitate to do the same.

You may not have been around at the time, SG-1Fanintn, but we have had a visit or two from a mod about this in the recent past. We're not immune from their attention.

Many hugs, and it's good to see you back on the thread!!!! (I really mean that.)

My LJ

Comment

Eh, just my take on it, but I don't know if that's entirely fair. I haven't really noticed anyone attacking Sam/AT on behalf of Vala (I'm assuming you're talking about Vala, anyway) on this thread, so I don't think anyone has had to "defend" Sam in that respect. Elsewhere on Gateworld, yes, but not on this thread. Most of what I have seen here is people expressing their dislike of Vala, and Vala's fans stepping in to defend her (at least recently).
                          What concerned me was the feeling I got that deepspace expressed so well. Positive comments about Vala seem to always bring about a debate, and it all gets tense. So, there goes the happiness.

You may not have been around at the time, SG-1Fanintn, but we have had a visit or two from a mod about this in the recent past. We're not immune from their attention.

Many hugs, and it's good to see you back on the thread!!!! (I really mean that.)
                          Thank you! I didn't mean to ignite a firestorm my first night back.

Comment

Actually I hope to high heaven that that NEVER happens. I said it in the "Why does she have to JOIN the team" thread, that FS has been done and that I hope TPTB don't try to do "FS" instead of SG, cause quite frankly (don't hate me people) the writers of SG, IMHO, don't have what it takes to make FS.

Actually, the writers don't have what it takes to make SG anymore, either!! (For the record, IMO, FS wasn't nearly as good as it's creators thought it was--they became *way* too impressed with themselves--but the SG PTB have adopted the worst aspects of FS, including women with ever-bigger boobs in ever-tighter costumes; the juvenile, H.S. male-locker room humor; the endless sexual innuendos and double-entendres that aren't nearly as funny or clever as the writers think they are; and the like.)

It's amazing that they have no idea what to do with the team's most experienced remaining military member, and its scientific genius. Presumably, Vala isn't suddenly going to develop a high IQ (based on what we've already seen, I can't figure out how she's survived in her chosen profession; she's an idiot.). I guess Daniel's going to do it all now. As the Church Lady would say, "Isn't *that* special?"

J.
                            "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
                              C'mon! Are you seriously telling me that you wouldn't be in hysterics at the thought of Jonas accidently seducing most of the SGC? (Maybe he doesn't even realise that he's doing it) And O'Neill is the only one (like in the Hathor episode) who see's through it all and tries to save the day.
                              Ah, I guess it's just a quirky sense of humor then? As for your question, I suppose it would depend on how well it was written. I think it would have to be very, very clever...

My LJ

Comment

If it is just a quirky sense of humour, then I apologise for the comment I made to you earlier Map. It really did sound like you were trying to say something cryptically derogatory about other Samandans being too 'holier than thou' or something to that effect.
                                Please accept my apologies.
                                Last edited by deepspace; 27 December 2005, 08:17 PM.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X