Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    I see no reason to bring jonas back just to kill him. If you want to experience story ideas like that, there are plenty of fic out there that exist for the sole purpose to kill the character off
    Here's a good one, Skydiver.

An episode which focuses mainly on the dinnerladies at the SGC, when an incursion occurs and aliens invade Stargate Command it's up to the four dinner ladies to save the day;

Diane - Head Chef (Has a crush on Dr Jackson)
    Mary - Unas cook (only growls as a reply to people)
    Oma Desala - the ascended being (no-one questions her)
    ???? - Still in the works. (um...The experts are still out on this one)
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

well, i am officially 149 pounds in debt

i just booked my gabit tickets
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

not to pry into clauda's personal life, but she said teh reason she timed her pregnancy as she did was because she knew she'd be in s10 and wanted to have things all taken care of and back to normal before they started taping for s10. which meant, given the 9 month time span and the fact that taping starts jan/feb, she knew that she'd be in s10 months and months ago, probably sometime in early 2005, as she was taping the first part of s9 and before there was officialy a s10. so, while part of their decisions may have been based on working with the actress, they can't have been based on fan reaction since that reaction wouldn't be coming until june/july and, again just using math, if she, or anyone, wanted to have the pregnancy come to term and be ready to work by the time taping starts in jan/feb/mar they would have to be working on it nine months earlier, which puts it early spring. before any vala eps aired
        Not that I doubt you, but I swear I've read every CB interview and I don't remember seeing anything about her timing her pregnancy for S10. What's teh source for your information?

Comment

LOL
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
            I think Jonas should return for an episode just so that he and sam get to kiss and a massive shockwave of surprise passes through the SGC, bringing back O'Neill to sort out the problem.

Here are some things I would like to see in the episode;
            -O'Neill hunting down Jonas
            -Jonas is killed as the gate opens and he is disintergrated by the gate's opening shockwave (which forms the event horizon)
            Well, if you're trying to make us scratch our heads about the obscurity and sometimes borderline inflammatory nature of some of your posts, you are succeeding (at least in my case).

So, do you just have a very quirky sense of humor, or are you a troll try to... I don't know what... be trollish, I guess?

Cheers,
            Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
              Not that I doubt you, but I swear I've read every CB interview and I don't remember seeing anything about her timing her pregnancy for S10. What's teh source for your information?
              i can't recall right now, i'm sorry. Maybe it was in a magazine or something? I just remember her saying that she'd timed things to be 'done' by s10 taping, then when they had her back for the end of s9 they had to accomodate her issues

i'll look for it, it's been a few months since i read anything because she has been keeping a very low profile lately

sigpic

Comment

So, I got season 8 DVDs for Christmas (yay!), and I've been watching them again. I know Amanda has talked about her lack of sleep and how tired she's been in season 9 because of the baby, but I think she looked really tired at the beginning of season 8, too, at least during the first 4-5 eps. There's just something slightly off about her appearance or performance, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Am I imagining this?

My LJ

Comment

well, she did say that she had one miscarriage right after the end of s7 and another one soon before she conceived Olivia, so it's possible that she was recovering from, or in the first stages of a pregnancy that terminated

two miscarriages in 14 months is hard on anyone to deal with, both physically and emotionally

sigpic

Comment

Me too.

So that puts me at three cons with Amanda this year.
                    Vancouver in March, Shore Leave in July and Gabit in November.
                    Good lord! What has come over me!

Thank god for American Express gift cards!

Now I just have to figure out a way to come up with some money
                    for plane fares and hotel accomodations and I'll be set! ROFL

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      Me too.

So that puts me at three cons with Amanda this year.
                      Vancouver in March, Shore Leave in July and Gabit in November.
                      Good lord! What has come over me!

Thank god for American Express gift cards!

Now I just have to figure out a way to come up with some money
                      for plane fares and hotel accomodations and I'll be set! ROFL

Kat
                      Me three, and Coley four.

Comment

Well to all those lucky souls that get to go to the cons, keep those of us that have to stay home up to date. We will live vicariously through all of you. I'm sure you all will have a great time!!!

I agree with whoever said AT expressed grace and professionalism in her GW interview. She has nothing but good things to say about the writers and actors. She was honest and still upbeat despite some issues that need clarity (I'm still concerned about this). I share in some of her concerns. I'm sure she is getting flake from the Sam haters. I enjoyed the interview and I look forward to part 2 today.

It sounds like she adore her little girl and motherhood. I'm sure little Olivia had a big Christmas this year. Having spent Christmas with my family which includes three little ones, two of which it's their first Christmas. It was fun watching them learn how to open gifts, play with all their toys. The most fun was just spending time will all of them and eating too much food. I hope everyone enjoyed (or are enjoying) their Holidays and travels safely.
                        Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 27 December 2005, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                          Oooh, if that only qualifies as snippy, there's still room to go before I hit full-out sarcasm!!!! :rubs palms gleefully while assuring Sky she won't go there: Believe me when I say, I could not only peg, but bury and break the sarcasm meter on my opinion of Vala and what she represents for and does to the Stargate SG-1 universe, and franchise, but, I behaved myself, as much as I could, in the preceding two posts. And, I do believe in the 7 eps in which we've seen her to date, Vala HAS been THAT bad.

Sorry that isn't what you want to hear about her, or how I feel about her, SunKrux, but, it is how I think of her.
                          Actually, I don't mind hearing. In case you didn't see it, I did put *tongue firmly planted in cheek meaning I was just teasing you. I'm cool with folks not liking Vala, I just like to make sure that they aren't just dissin' her cause some might think that Vala is the reason things for Sam have changed, as I don't believe that. Call me optimistic, but I have faith that the writers/producers will make things work wonderfully for Amanda (even if she's feeling a bit in the dark atm) and that the dynamic between Sam and Vala will be handle well and will not turn into a "cat fight".

I see Vala as Outrageous!Hot-Body!Barbie, and I don't see a logical need for the Vala-character we've seen so far to exist on Stargate SG-1, other than pandering to someone's perceptions (other than mine) of a ratings-attracting fantasy figure. I don't find her funny, or entertaining. I don't like to look at her, I don't like to listen to her dialogue, and I don't like what she represents to the Stargate universe, the tradition of science fiction and its depiction of women, and the images of women that society holds in real life.
                          Hey, we are all entitled to our opinons and I will defend your right to share yours, even if I don't agree with it.

Here's hoping that the writer's will give you what you want...a religious experience that will change your mind about Vala.

My apologies for my inability to be positive about Vala, but, the 7 eps of her I've seen leave me able to say little that's good about the character. She's intelligent, and a survivor, and she has some small capacity for service to others. However, those few positive characteristics don't mitigate against her negative traits for me, and I can have no faith that the Vala character won't be used against the established characters in the future. The best I can offer is unwilling tolerance.
                          Hey, it's all good. No need to apologize for sharing your opinion. Unlike some Vala/Claudia fans, I don't mind folks not liking either the character or the actress. It bothers me when folks don't give concrete reasons for why they don't like either the character or actor. You did so very well and I appreciate it and applaud it. Sharing of opinions is a good thing, even if we aren't ever able to change each other's minds. For me, it gives me perspective on what it is about Vala that folks don't like.

Please don't think I was being mean or harsh, I was just being my usual sarcastic, teasing self. Please don't ever feel that because I pip up when folks share their dislike of Vala that you can't come here and share it. I love hearing other peoples viewpoints/opinions. It's what makes this thread so fun, that we can all discuss stuff like this and usually no one gets upset.
                          sigpic
                          I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                            SunKrux: no offense but the fact is I detest Vala and the way TPTB have chosen to write and portray the character and the way they have made the SGC, and many of its members, look like chumps and schmos in the process.
                            None taken, so long as you're not offended by my love of Vala. See my response to Sim just a bit above this one.

I truly never meant to make anyone who dislikes Vala not feel like they can't share their dislike about her, with the folks here. I'm just going to pipe up and share my love for her. It's all good.

I love my Samanda's, even those who don't see eye to eye with me on stuff.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                              Ooh...back to the Vala debate, eh???

My first thought was that this was just horrific. What are they doing to my favorite TV show and my favorite character???

Since then, I've realized a few things...

1. Vala, as portrayed in the first few eps of this season, will not be the Vala that we'll see as a regular on the series. Why? Because that level of over-the-toppedness is simply unsustainable long term and would inevitably get really old, really fast. Whereas I didn't appreciate a lot of what they showed us initially Vala-wise, they (tptb) were trying to deal with the loss of RDA and the temporary absence of Amanda. They needed big feet to fill such a massive void and Claudia was their choice. As a Claudia fan, that made me giddy but I cringed at most of the stuff they had on there as it was such a far cry from SG-1 as to be unrecognizable. However, the Vala of TPTB and Beachhead was almost a completely different character. Much more interesting (to me) and not nearly the cliche I had witnessed previously. That Vala I want to see more of and not the "let's make babies" Vala.

2. There is such gold to be mined from a Carter/Vala friendship. I mean, we're talking Fort Knox here. If tptb are smart, they will make use of the fact that they have two stellar actresses, make use of their rapport, make use of the characters' simularities and differences...and use EACH to add more depth to the other. Vala could get Sam to lighten up in certain areas of her life...Sam could help Vala understand the value of honor and responsibility. Also, Sam can handle her snark...heck, she dealt with Jack's for 8 years and McKay's for the two times they've worked together. She took it and dished it right back (with McKay more than Jack because she couldn't snark back at Jack obviously). Further, there's the whole issue of both being made hosts against their will...one suffering as a Goa'uld, the other as a Tok'ra.

3. I could be reading this wrong, but I am starting to feel more comfortable about Amanda's position and therefore Carter's. I don't see a 10/10 split like I feared. I don't see (anytime soon) Vala replacing Sam on SG-1. I see Vala now as more of an antagonistic ally and perhaps unwilling member of the team come Season 10. I have no problems with Vala on SG-1 as long as she isn't there to REPLACE Sam...and that was my primary concern.

And like I said, I think we'll see a snarky Vala, but not an OTT Vala, like before. Snarky Vala + Vala/Sam antagonistic friendship = Snarky Sam...and I love seeing Sam get a little snarky. I love seeing her hold her own with those who underestimate her. Not sure if Vala does...in fact, I don't think either lady knew how to read the other in Beachhead. But given time, they'd both get a sense of each other, which inevitably will be a source of tension...both dramatic and comedic. And that is something to look forward to.
                              What she said. *high5s Uber
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                                Me too. :makes sad face:

I get this 'if you aren't entirely positive, Simha, you aren't exactly welcome, no matter how you phrase what you say' feeling these days in lots of threads on Gateworld, so, if it's not a fluff post, I really don't have much I feel I can say. And I know I broke that positive barrier last night, so I'll shut up again.

I just wanted to concur that during all the lurking I've been doing recently, and all the threads I read, Samanda is the only thread I truly miss in terms of participation.
                                Please don't think that I feel that way. As I've said and will continue to say, we are all entitled to our opinions and I LOVE to hear the opinions of others, even if I don't agree with them.

(((((((((((((((Simha)))))))))))))

*feels bad that some are thinking they can't come here if they aren't always 100% positive
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X