Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh...back to the Vala debate, eh???

My first thought was that this was just horrific. What are they doing to my favorite TV show and my favorite character???

Since then, I've realized a few things...

1. Vala, as portrayed in the first few eps of this season, will not be the Vala that we'll see as a regular on the series. Why? Because that level of over-the-toppedness is simply unsustainable long term and would inevitably get really old, really fast. Whereas I didn't appreciate a lot of what they showed us initially Vala-wise, they (tptb) were trying to deal with the loss of RDA and the temporary absence of Amanda. They needed big feet to fill such a massive void and Claudia was their choice. As a Claudia fan, that made me giddy but I cringed at most of the stuff they had on there as it was such a far cry from SG-1 as to be unrecognizable. However, the Vala of TPTB and Beachhead was almost a completely different character. Much more interesting (to me) and not nearly the cliche I had witnessed previously. That Vala I want to see more of and not the "let's make babies" Vala.

2. There is such gold to be mined from a Carter/Vala friendship. I mean, we're talking Fort Knox here. If tptb are smart, they will make use of the fact that they have two stellar actresses, make use of their rapport, make use of the characters' simularities and differences...and use EACH to add more depth to the other. Vala could get Sam to lighten up in certain areas of her life...Sam could help Vala understand the value of honor and responsibility. Also, Sam can handle her snark...heck, she dealt with Jack's for 8 years and McKay's for the two times they've worked together. She took it and dished it right back (with McKay more than Jack because she couldn't snark back at Jack obviously). Further, there's the whole issue of both being made hosts against their will...one suffering as a Goa'uld, the other as a Tok'ra.

3. I could be reading this wrong, but I am starting to feel more comfortable about Amanda's position and therefore Carter's. I don't see a 10/10 split like I feared. I don't see (anytime soon) Vala replacing Sam on SG-1. I see Vala now as more of an antagonistic ally and perhaps unwilling member of the team come Season 10. I have no problems with Vala on SG-1 as long as she isn't there to REPLACE Sam...and that was my primary concern.

And like I said, I think we'll see a snarky Vala, but not an OTT Vala, like before. Snarky Vala + Vala/Sam antagonistic friendship = Snarky Sam...and I love seeing Sam get a little snarky. I love seeing her hold her own with those who underestimate her. Not sure if Vala does...in fact, I don't think either lady knew how to read the other in Beachhead. But given time, they'd both get a sense of each other, which inevitably will be a source of tension...both dramatic and comedic. And that is something to look forward to.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hi, everyone! I'm trying to join back in the fun on a regular basis again, although from reading the last page of posts, it sounds like I've walked into a firestorm. Hope good feelings will return here soon, although I know TPTB are making it hard.

Please cross your fingers for me that the firestorm at work has reached its peak and is now going to be beaten. I've just finished days of family things relating to the holidays. But I just wanted to check in before bedtime to tell you what I got for Christmas. Are you ready? Hubby got me.....

.....all eight seasons of SG-1 on DVD!!!!! Is that a great hubby, or what?

I'm watching S1 in all its DVD glory now!!! Sam, Jack, Daniel & Teal'c.....just as it was intended to be!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Comment

I'm willing to give the writers a chance to turn Vala into a character I really like. If they tone her down, and she's not being brought in full time to slowly phase out Sam, which is probably my biggest concern overall... Right now, she's a character I feel pretty ambivalent about; but she's made me laugh a few times, and I do think CB is a talented actress. Knowing that she's coming back full time, and the writers (at least Joe) have heard numerous complaints about her constant sexual innuendos, I'm reserving final judgement until until I see how she's written in the future.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
          I'm willing to give the writers a chance to turn Vala into a character I really like. If they tone her down, and she's not being brought in full time to slowly phase out Sam, which is probably my biggest concern overall... Right now, she's a character I feel pretty ambivalent about; but she's made me laugh a few times, and I do think CB is a talented actress. Knowing that she's coming back full time, and the writers (at least Joe) have heard numerous complaints about her constant sexual innuendos, I'm reserving final judgement until until I see how she's written in the future.
          out of the entire *new* stargate, the only character i have no probs with is landry.

things i'd ax from the show:

lam's attitude.

mitchell leading.

vala.

the whatever group of thieves that vala introduced us to.

things i'd like to see tweaked:

sam's purpose on the show.

lam's attire. keep it a little more appropriate.

mitchell's one-liners.

teal'c existing on the show.

what's jack up to.

things i like about this new season:

the ori.

what i'm looking forward to in season 10:

vala not taking over the show.

sam-vala interactions.

what i 'really' think is going to happen in season 10:

vala will take over the show.

mitchell's new nickname will be 'hawkeye', since all he'll do is wise-crack through the galaxy.

teal'c will be a cardboard cutout.

jack who?

sam will just 'be' there, with no storyarc or purpose other than to be science chick. and love interest for the newest breathing male that comes into view.

on another issue; when was amanda's newest interview actually done? if amanda *still* feels this uneasy about sam's future... maybe the interview was done around the gabit con?

btw, i miss posting here. i lurk but seldom contribute. i just can't find anything positive to say anymore.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              btw, i miss posting here. i lurk but seldom contribute. i just can't find anything positive to say anymore.

sally
              Me too. :makes sad face:

I get this 'if you aren't entirely positive, Simha, you aren't exactly welcome, no matter how you phrase what you say' feeling these days in lots of threads on Gateworld, so, if it's not a fluff post, I really don't have much I feel I can say. And I know I broke that positive barrier last night, so I'll shut up again.

I just wanted to concur that during all the lurking I've been doing recently, and all the threads I read, Samanda is the only thread I truly miss in terms of participation.
              ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think a lot of my misgivings about s10 stem from just how much i trust tptb. I'd love to see them tone down vala and give her some depth. i'd love to look forward to an active female on the show to lighten the load on sam. i'd love to see interactions between them adn i'd love to trust the writers to do it right

but i just don't trust these guys.

I've seen too many examples of them pandering to the lowest common denominator. I've seen too much of an indication that there is a distinct and marked preference for vala over sam. and that preference is filtering over to how the actors are treated. One is taken care of while the other is ignored and put off with a few platitudes.

i keep thinking if they meant for vala to be permnant from the beginning (which seems to be the case given that CB was approached about s10 before her s9 eps even aired. given that the season finale was rewritten to accomodate the actress) then why didn't they make her more paletable from the get go??? If they knew she was joining the show from teh beginning, then why didn't they tone her down from the beginning??

i'd love to see the interactions between them, however since tptb can't/won't even tell AT how much she's going to be in each show, it gives teh impression that they have plans to focus on vala whiel keeping sam in reserve, just in case vala doens't work out.

not a very nice way to treat an actor who's been there since day one. In fact, if things were different, and let's say taht the first 5 eps had been teh cameron and vala show with daniel shoved to the background like cam and teal'c and sam was - for the part that she was there - i'm sure those very same folks who are spamming every site they can find with 'vala is great' would be singing a different tune when every moment of vala's air time didn't have her attached to daniel's hip.

so....yeah, i would love to trust these writers and hold out the hope that they'll make something that i find enjoyable....but given the attiude expressed by some of them - the general, 'we're doing a fantastic job and ifyou can't see it then you're an idiot' tone from some some interviews - and given the new found focus on teh more juvenile aspects of the show, i'm not holding out much hope.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i keep thinking if they meant for vala to be permnant from the beginning (which seems to be the case given that CB was approached about s10 before her s9 eps even aired. given that the season finale was rewritten to accomodate the actress) then why didn't they make her more paletable from the get go??? If they knew she was joining the show from teh beginning, then why didn't they tone her down from the beginning??
                  How do you know CB was approaced before her eps even aired? They aired in July and August and the show wasn't even picked up for S10 until (when?) October? Personally, I don't think they planned on hiring her fulltime. I think they were focused on all the other changes going on. But when they saw how much they liked her, maybe they started thinking that way. And when her eps aired, they saw that she was popular and got a lot of good reviews in the press. Of course, they couldn't have toned her down from the beginning, and to be honest, I don't think she would've been as popular if she'd been toned down. One of the things that's fun about her is the way she'll say whatever she's thinking.

That said, I'm hoping and praying that we don't have the Vala show in S10!

Comment

Good morning, Samanda!

Flyin' through with a post that brought back one of the many things I like about Sam Carter: She's so danged smart! A long article from today's NY Times Science section on Quantum Physics, and they mention SCHROENDINGER'S CAT!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/sc...pagewanted=all

It's techno/geeky but also lighthanded as well. I can just picture Jack's eyes spinning around the third paragraph!

Just sayin', just sharing a Sam Carter moment!
                    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                    sigpic
                    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
                      But what about if she has a very interesting private life? I know she doesn't know us and we don't even know where she lives, but I bet she wouldn't mind if we started dissing her online...Any takers...?
                      This is a joke, right?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                        Sam: Teal'c! Plot hole at 2 O'clock!

Just playin, just sayin', on target, SamFan31, great action cap!
                        MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                        sigpic
                        Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                          How do you know CB was approaced before her eps even aired? They aired in July and August and the show wasn't even picked up for S10 until (when?) October? Personally, I don't think they planned on hiring her fulltime. I think they were focused on all the other changes going on. But when they saw how much they liked her, maybe they started thinking that way. And when her eps aired, they saw that she was popular and got a lot of good reviews in the press. Of course, they couldn't have toned her down from the beginning, and to be honest, I don't think she would've been as popular if she'd been toned down. One of the things that's fun about her is the way she'll say whatever she's thinking.

That said, I'm hoping and praying that we don't have the Vala show in S10!
                          i am afraid, to Vala in s10 for full time. This is no very good for Sam
                          sigpic

Comment

I think Jonas should return for an episode just so that he and sam get to kiss and a massive shockwave of surprise passes through the SGC, bringing back O'Neill to sort out the problem.

Here are some things I would like to see in the episode;
                            -O'Neill hunting down Jonas
                            -Jonas is killed as the gate opens and he is disintergrated by the gate's opening shockwave (which forms the event horizon)
                            - Daniel ascends because he is so incredibly surprised by all of the commotion
                            - Vala also shares a smooch with Jonas
                            - Teal'c also shares a smooch with Jonas
                            - Anubis's son shares a smooch with Jonas in a dream
                            - Lya of the Nox shares a smooch with Jonas
                            - Anthony Head makes a guest appearence as the ATF's commanding officer and shares a smooch with Jonas
                            - Mr T teams up with O'Neill. But turns evil half way through the episode and shares a smooch with Jonas.

Oh yeah, and Sam rules by the way.
                            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                              How do you know CB was approaced before her eps even aired? They aired in July and August and the show wasn't even picked up for S10 until (when?) October? Personally, I don't think they planned on hiring her fulltime. That said, I'm hoping and praying that we don't have the Vala show in S10!
                              not to pry into clauda's personal life, but she said teh reason she timed her pregnancy as she did was because she knew she'd be in s10 and wanted to have things all taken care of and back to normal before they started taping for s10. which meant, given the 9 month time span and the fact that taping starts jan/feb, she knew that she'd be in s10 months and months ago, probably sometime in early 2005, as she was taping the first part of s9 and before there was officialy a s10. so, while part of their decisions may have been based on working with the actress, they can't have been based on fan reaction since that reaction wouldn't be coming until june/july and, again just using math, if she, or anyone, wanted to have the pregnancy come to term and be ready to work by the time taping starts in jan/feb/mar they would have to be working on it nine months earlier, which puts it early spring. before any vala eps aired

it was when they decided that they also wanted her in the s9 finale and that she was already pregnant and would be visibly pregnant at the time of taping that decisions were made to accomodate her real life issues in her character.

so...given that, for the most part, pregnancy isn't just one of those spur of the moment impulse things and that biology dictates that it sometimes takes at least a month or more to suceed, she knew quite a while ago.

I also personally think that s10 was never in doubt. scifi wouldn't miss the chance to have a 'record breaking' show and being able to brag about beating the x-files. s11 however, is very much up in the air. Now that scifi has their record, i doubt they care very much about maintaining it

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
                                I think Jonas should return for an episode just so that he and sam get to kiss and a massive shockwave of surprise passes through the SGC, bringing back O'Neill to sort out the problem.

Here are some things I would like to see in the episode;
                                -O'Neill hunting down Jonas
                                -Jonas is killed as the gate opens and he is disintergrated by the gate's opening shockwave (which forms the event horizon)
                                - Daniel ascends because he is so incredibly surprised by all of the commotion
                                - Vala also shares a smooch with Jonas
                                - Teal'c also shares a smooch with Jonas
                                - Anubis's son shares a smooch with Jonas in a dream
                                - Lya of the Nox shares a smooch with Jonas
                                - Anthony Head makes a guest appearence as the ATF's commanding officer and shares a smooch with Jonas
                                - Mr T teams up with O'Neill. But turns evil half way through the episode and shares a smooch with Jonas.

Oh yeah, and Sam rules by the way.

I see no reason to bring jonas back just to kill him. If you want to experience story ideas like that, there are plenty of fic out there that exist for the sole purpose to kill the character off

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X