No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This message goes out to NOWIWILLDESTROYABYDOS.

Why do you have such a scary name...?
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
      Exactly! Just doing my job as Royal Sambassador. It really sucks all around for the actors. TPTB are pullin' all the strings and the actors have to follow if they want to keep their jobs. Never a good thing.
      But what about if she has a very interesting private life? I know she doesn't know us and we don't even know where she lives, but I bet she wouldn't mind if we started dissing her online...Any takers...?
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
        But what about if she has a very interesting private life? I know she doesn't know us and we don't even know where she lives, but I bet she wouldn't mind if we started dissing her online...Any takers...?
        Uh, not me. Never cool to diss ANY actor online, period.

So, map, what's your problem?
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Characters are fair game, real people are not.

Including actors, writers, directors, your fellow forum members, etc.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            Characters are fair game, real people are not.

Including actors, writers, directors, your fellow forum members, etc.
            I agree with Sky. I don't approve of people dissing anywhere. And certainly not here. Hic Comitas Regit.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
              This message goes out to ABYDOS.

Why do you have such a scary name...?
              I don't know the line (from Full circle) was just stuck in my mind the day I created this account.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                I agree with Sky. I don't approve of people dissing anywhere. And certainly not here. Hic Comitas Regit.
                *high 5s deepspace Right on!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                  I don't know the line (from Full circle) was just stuck in my mind the day I created this account.
                  And here I thought it was just "the better to scare" us with.
                  sigpic

Comment

You know what sucks about the Amanda Interview, it's a text interview and not a audio interview. I personally like reading the interview while I'm listening to the interview, like with the David Hewlett interview from last week or so.
                    Remember David did say in the interview he was on the phone with her. Phone interviews do not post well unless you have the software needed to clear up the recording and if there was to much background noise even with good software it can be difficult to get a decent recording to post online.
                    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                      Remember David did say in the interview he was on the phone with her. Phone interviews do not post well unless you have the software needed to clear up the recording and if there was to much background noise even with good software it can be difficult to get a decent recording to post online.
                      I don't remeber David say that, wait did he say it in the AT interview thread.
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't remeber David say that, wait did he say it in the AT interview thread.

First line of the interview

GateWorld: This is David Read and I'm on the phone with the lovely Amanda Tapping. Amanda, it has been too long!
                        My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                          Sorry, but that's just a level of optimism of which I'm not capable. There's been no indication that these plans were changed, and at this point I don't think TPTB could have if they wanted to. Vala's forced inclusion this year came down from Skiffy so late that they had to find some way to write off, or rather write in, CB's pregnancy. By the time fans' feelings on the matter were known, it was far too late to revise the plan. The sprog's as permanent an addition as Vala herself, much to my chagrin.
                          Just to clarify - I am not at all optimistic and I think TPTB are seriously screwed up on this one - I was just wondering if anyone did think they may backtrack on it. Me, personally, the minute the sprog is confirmed I will no longer be a viewer of the show, AT/some AT/or limited AT - sorry. The show has gone so far downhill in quality and class that I'm tired of waiting and the additions of Sprog and cliche will be the final nail in the proverbial coffin, at least for me.

SunKrux: no offense but the fact is I detest Vala and the way TPTB have chosen to write and portray the character and the way they have made the SGC, and many of its members, look like chumps and schmos in the process.
                          Last edited by binkpmmc; 26 December 2005, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                            First line of the interview

GateWorld: This is David Read and I'm on the phone with the lovely Amanda Tapping. Amanda, it has been too long!
                            Oh, I didn't see that.
                            sigpic

Comment

*tongue firmly planted in cheek

Hold the phone! What's the beef? Be nice. Don't go dissin' on my gal Vala! She's not THAT bad. Really. Just cause you don't like her or get her, no need to be so snippy.
                              Oooh, if that only qualifies as snippy, there's still room to go before I hit full-out sarcasm!!!! :rubs palms gleefully while assuring Sky she won't go there: Believe me when I say, I could not only peg, but bury and break the sarcasm meter on my opinion of Vala and what she represents for and does to the Stargate SG-1 universe, and franchise, but, I behaved myself, as much as I could, in the preceding two posts. And, I do believe in the 7 eps in which we've seen her to date, Vala HAS been THAT bad.

Sorry that isn't what you want to hear about her, or how I feel about her, SunKrux, but, it is how I think of her.

I see Vala as Outrageous!Hot-Body!Barbie, and I don't see a logical need for the Vala-character we've seen so far to exist on Stargate SG-1, other than pandering to someone's perceptions (other than mine) of a ratings-attracting fantasy figure. I don't find her funny, or entertaining. I don't like to look at her, I don't like to listen to her dialogue, and I don't like what she represents to the Stargate universe, the tradition of science fiction and its depiction of women, and the images of women that society holds in real life.

But, I shall be galled by Vala for at least another season, regardless, and so, I tolerate her.

The longer Vala exists, the less I like her, and, at this point, the show would have to supply me a real religious experience to get me to like her. I tolerate her. That's all.

Sure Vala isn't everyone's cup o' tea, but she's got some great stuff going for her. She's moxie and is willing to do anything to get what she wants and if it results in helping the team...all the better. I'm fairly positive that Vala will be toned down a wee bit and we'll get much needed back story on her and even better...we'll get to see lots of Sam and Vala bonding. *looks at Agent Dark then whispers, "Not THAT kind of bonding. Gees, AD, get your mind out of the gutter!"
                              In my opinion, everything that Vala supposedly has going for her, other characters in the Stargate universe already had going for them, including moxie, fun, intensity, sarcasm, 'beauty', intelligence, strength of will, focus, determination, creativity, the will and ability to survive, murky history, unusual knowledge, et cetera. There was no need to collect it in one leather wrapped and strapped package. So far, all Vala's brought to the table that was unique was the knowledge of the Lucian Alliance, and I think that the trite and colorful crime syndicate of the galaxy ought to be swiftly - indeed, immediately - returned to the rag-bag of clichés from which it was foolishly rooted forth.

As I said above, they're going to have to deliver a genuine religious revelation for me to like Vala at this point, since they've spent 7 eps making me detest her and so much non-ep time pushing and pimping her. Toning the character down won't help for me - she'd need an entire, ah, character transplant to become a character I could enjoy. Given the relentless pimping of the character, I fear her interactions with all the characters in the end of season 9 and on into season 10. I fear that everything and anything will be slanted to make Vala look good, the bonding will come at the expense of the other character's integrity as people and as characters, and all things Vala will be geared to and managed specfically to give the audience "More Vala!", a thing I have no desire to know exists, much less actually experience.

At this point, I don't give a fig for Vala's backstory, and look upon the idea of hearing it as something to be dreaded and endured. I would, indeed, be best pleased with the situation, if Vala Mal Duran walked into a third zat blast and Thor, for some Asgard-centric reason, gave the SGC a clone that was physically a duplicate, but had a personality and a storyline that didn't make me wonder if both had been created by a committee of fifteen year old boys reacting to the term 'the hot she-alien's escapades'.

My apologies for my inability to be positive about Vala, but, the 7 eps of her I've seen leave me able to say little that's good about the character. She's intelligent, and a survivor, and she has some small capacity for service to others. However, those few positive characteristics don't mitigate against her negative traits for me, and I can have no faith that the Vala character won't be used against the established characters in the future. The best I can offer is unwilling tolerance.
                              ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                and geek sam was sooooo adorable!!!!

um, don't we have 3 au sam's?

TBFTGOG, POV and Moebius

ooh, and welcome to samanda
                                And don't forget Teal'c's two...count them TWO...imaginary Sams in Changeling...one in SG-1 and one as Firefighter!Sam, producing such gems as...

Imaginary!MajorCarter: You look okay to me. Why don't you try a glass of warm milk?
                                Teal'c: I would prefer not to consume bovine lactose at any temperature.

****and later****

Teal'c: I did not faint, Doctor Fraiser.
                                <snip>
                                Imaginary!MajorCarter: Maybe you were just bored of what I was saying?
                                Sam's smile fades as her humor falls on irked ears and Teal'c just looks at her.
                                Imaginary!MajorCarter: No, fine. On that note, I'll say goodnight.
                                Janet: Night Sam.
                                Imaginary!MajorCarter (a little snarky): Prescribe him some warm milk.

And then as Firefighter!Sam...

Firefighter!Sam: T, get your ass out of there, that's an order!

I love that sequence because even though Chief O'Neill was there and kinda directing things behind the scenes, Firefighter!Sam was on the front lines leading the action. Gives you a little more insight into how Teal'c perceives our favorite gal.

Chief O'Neill: You know, T, maybe Carter's right. You should think
                                about this a little more.
                                Teal'c: What?
                                Chief O'Neill: The whole kidney thing.
                                Teal'c: You're talking about the transplant.
                                Firefighter!Sam: Yeah, T-Man...we're talking about the transplant.

T-Man. *snurkle*

Last edited by Uber; 26 December 2005, 08:43 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X