Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nem2k
    I think we have to be careful to distinguish the difference between Sam Carter and Amanda Tapping. You're talking about Sam but I think this thread is about respect for Amanda
    I do know the difference between Sam Carter and Amanda Tapping, which is why I *did* seperate them in my first post. The one you quoted was in answer to a direction question LordShiva asked of me.

And both the actress and the character are listed in the thread title. Why do you assume that we're only supposed to be talking about one of them?
    ~bri~

Comment

Originally posted by brihana25
      And both the actress and the character are listed in the thread title. Why do you assume that we're only supposed to be talking about one of them?
      because the entire first post is about Amanda, not Sam
      yes both names are in the title, but Sam is in parenthesis being used as reference, so the actual sentence without the brackets is about Amanda

I dont have a problem with people talking about Sam, I just didnt want people confusing the 2 because I can see this thread going to a dark place of degrading characters, which is ok if we're talking about Sam, but its not ok if its directed towards Amanda because 1) its disrespectful and 2) i dont think forum rules allow it

So Im just making sure people here are aware when posts are being made about Sam, and when theyre being made about Amanda. It can be hard sometimes to draw the line between those 2 people so im just trying to save people some flame and hassle
      - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
        Well according to a HUGE Charisma fan friend of mine...it was Joss Whedon who made the Cordy character take a nose dive after Charisma got preggers. Kind of hard to work for someone who doesn't want you there, period.

For me, I think it might have been a little of both Charisma (reacting to the way Joss treated her) and Joss (being a butthead about her preggers state). Shame though...Charisma is AWESOME!! I'm not that crazy about Joss. He is not a "god" in my eyes. Just another sick, twisted executive who thrives on torturing his fans.

There is only so much an actor can do with any given character. If the character is given crappy dialogue and scenerios, it's not their fault - they do what they can to keep things consistent, but ultimately, it's up to the writers/producers/director to make or break a character's story arc.

Well in Amanda's case, I get the sense that the producers et al, are happy for her and with her work and want to keep her around for as long as they can. Seems to me Amanda wants to stay as long as well. In that case, it's a win/win situation for all involved.

I reality there are a lot of paralles of Buffy, Angel and SG-1. In S6 of Buffy, Amber Benson was told that her character wouldn't be coming back in S7 (TR anyone?). Charisma Carpenter was assured that her pregnacy would not be written in to the story arc. (Not even to going touch that).
        And with JW's statement in TV guide that her story arc was over, led to various conflicts on Buffy and Angel BB's and lists.
        And with the one episode " You're Welcome" was so out of place that it equals Jack's S9 appearance.

But this is about AT/Sam, and all I have to say, I'm glad she's still on SG-1.

ETA: Wrong episode title
        Last edited by LaCroix; 14 December 2005, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
          I'm hoping! I mean, I can't guarantee where I'll be, but I'm assuming it'll be Europe. Well, Easyjet accessable, at least.

Quite worried you're glad I'm coming.
          Seriously. Samandans could do some major damage to London and Baltimore, if we would put our minds to it...

Comment

I actually had a dream about Samandans running round the conventions wearing specially co-ordinated Samandan outfits, blowing bubbles a la Grace, and singing the Samandan court anthem. Very strange, but very believeable.
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

yes both names are in the title, but Sam is in parenthesis being used as reference, so the actual sentence without the brackets is about Amanda

I dont have a problem with people talking about Sam, I just didnt want people confusing the 2 because I can see this thread going to a dark place of degrading characters, which is ok if we're talking about Sam, but its not ok if its directed towards Amanda because 1) its disrespectful and 2) i dont think forum rules allow it

So Im just making sure people here are aware when posts are being made about Sam, and when theyre being made about Amanda. It can be hard sometimes to draw the line between those 2 people so im just trying to save people some flame and hassle
              I agree this thread is really about why AT's great & is not really the best place to talk about what we love or hate about Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                Seriously. Samandans could do some major damage to London and Baltimore, if we would put our minds to it...

I'd would really like to lend a hand with the "damage", but I can't afford either one. Wish I could.
                Someone hopefully will share pics tho?

Comment

Of course we'll share pics.

Anyone know what the financial damage for GABIT will be yet?

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                    I reality there are a lot of paralles of Buffy, Angel and SG-1. In S6 of Buffy, Amber Benson was told that her character wouldn't be coming back in S7 (TR anyone?). Charisma Carpenter was assured that her pregnacy would not be written in to the story arc. (Not even to going touch that).
                    And with JW's statement in TV guide that her story arc was over, led to various conflicts on Buffy and Angel BB's and lists.
                    And with the one episode "Thank You" was so out of place that it equals Jack's S9 appearance.
                    Probably, but I'm not that big into Buffy. Angel I usually watch in the a.m. on TNT cause it follows The Lost World. Anyhoo...back to the marvelous Amanda!

But this is about AT/Sam, and all I have to say, I'm glad she's still on SG-1.
                    Yeah, it is about Amanda, but I wanted to clarify that more often than not, actors in series have no control over how their character is written and they have to do the best they can with what's written for them.

Yes, I'm glad that Amanda is going to be back as well. She rocks!
                    sigpic
                    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

No offense, but I believe most of us here don't have a problem seperating Amanda (the actor) from Sam (the character) and sometimes when we talk about Amanda and why we like her, Sam is going to come into it. I appreciate you want to keep this thread on topic, but honestly, it is imho.
                      sigpic
                      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

I've always had a lot of respect for Amanda and found her humourous and friendly, a true entertainer, but a lovely human being.

However, my respect and love multiplied last year, when she told the fans what she'd been through, that she'd had two miscarriages, my heart bled for her. And when I went through my miscarriage, I came to realise what a horrible, painful, draining and truly, truly heart wrenching experience it is.

The fact that she's not only dealt with this (twice), but told her fans what she's been through, that she's willing to share so much of her personal life, it's touching. You can't help but love her.

Comment

maybe we can coordinate colors of shirts or something? we can all wear orange since that's amanda's favorite color
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Anyone thought of making a Samandan logo we could all print onto shirts? Something like
                            ROYAL COURT OF
                            SAMΛNDA

But obviously better centred and stuff. I kinda imagined black shirts with blue or orange writing, so it could be worn with combats as a semi SG uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                              Anyone thought of making a Samandan logo we could all print onto shirts? Something like

ROYAL COURT OF
                              SAMΛNDA

But obviously better centred and stuff. I kinda imagined black shirts with blue or orange writing, so it could be worn with combats as a semi SG uniform.
                              Hey ! That's a cool idea ! Didn't Über mention something like that recently ?
                              Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Tracy Jane, I'm adding you to the list for GABIT2

Shore Leave

Skydiver
                                minigeek
                                tsaxlady
                                dancer of spaz
                                Strix Varia
                                Dani 76
                                Lys

GABIT2

Skydiver
                                minigeek
                                Dani 76