Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brihana25
    Sure. As she is right now, I have no respect left for Sam. I lost most of it during the back end of S7, and I lost the rest of it during Threads.

I keep myself from hating her by pretending that she's still the woman she was 2 years ago, when I liked her quite a bit and respected her highly.
    I think we have to be careful to distinguish the difference between Sam Carter and Amanda Tapping. You're talking about Sam but I think this thread is about respect for Amanda
    - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
      Hi All! *Waves*
      Finally finished my exams yesterday and today I had my last day at work for this year. Am leaving with Hubby for our Peru trip on Friday, so now I am busy getting ready for that. Which means that I will miss our big BD party , but I trust, you all will have a great time.

MajorSal, thank you so much for starting this thread
      , I really enjoy coming here and spending time with you all, and I've met the greatest people!

I am definitely going to the Shore Leave con in July and I would love to go to AT2, since I had already planned to go to the first one, which didn't work out. Just have to convince hubby that it's a good idea and not that expensive.
      So definitely Shore Leave, most likely AT2.

Anyways, HUGS for everybody, MERRY CHRISTMAS and A HAPPY NEW YEAR, and I *see* you all next year!
      Bye Dani! Have a great (and SAFE) trip! We'll miss ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
        I guess I'm just not on the same page... I don't know what changed about the character that made you lose your respect of the character?
        Well, that makes sense. I haven't told you yet.

Evolution Part II is what started it. I was completely flabbergasted at her total lack of concern for Daniel, because the Sam I knew at the time would have been beside herself with worry for him. I'm not talking about the scenes on Tartarus, though, because there, she was being herself - she was a military officer in a serious situation, and her head was on the mission. But the scene with Jack, where her only response to his, "I'm going after Daniel," was, "Oh, okay. Good luck."

Grace just made it worse for me - not Grace specifically, but everything that came after. The one scene in Grace that bothers me beyond belief is the scene with HalluciJacob, where Sam comes to the "amazing realization" that she absolutely cannot be happy without a man... which I personally think is a load of sexist crap.

Chimera was okay, because she was happy, and I was thrilled to see her that way. At the time, I was thinking that she'd dealt with her "issues" in Grace and was going to be able to move past them and to live life on her own terms, realizing that she could have a man because she *wanted* him and not because she thought she *needed* him to be fulfilled.

Lost City completely blew that interpretation out of the water, when this same woman - by this point involved in a serious relationship with Pete - chases a dying Jack and takes every possible opportunity to force herself and her "feelings" (the ones she admitted to herself, via HaluciJack in Grace, weren't real) in his face, with no regard for what he was feeling, what he might want, or what he needed... which was, IMO, the love and support of his *friends*, not the soul-baring revelation of a woman who (obviously, to me) still had some pretty serious personal issues.

Threads was the final nail in her metaphorical coffin, for me. The way she treated Pete was beyond abhorent. And she cheated herself out of a man who adored her and would do anything for her, and robbed Jack of what he himself admitted was a great relationship, again because of her emotional neediness and her inability to get past her inappopriate (and, in her case, illegal) crush on her boss.

This season, though, I'm staring to like her again. She's back in her element, storywise - military scientist extraordinaire, strong, self-sufficient and honorable.

And I'm really hoping they let her stay that way this time, because I've has just about enough of the "Sam's Issues" show.
        ~bri~

Comment

Amanda is one of the most genuinely nice people around. The word "nice" tends to be very underrated nowadays, but it means a lot to me. From what I've read about AT, I'm struck by her innate kindness and concern for those around her even when it's not reciprocated. She just genuinely cares about people, whether she knows them personally or not and that's rare in this world. She's beautiful without being conceited, intelligent without lording it over others. She's classy, yet has a wonderfully goofy sense of humor.

Amanda's also a first-class actress. Every role she's done on SG-1, she's thrown herself into wholeheartedly and been completely believable. I know it's her job to be "completely believable", but her gifts as an actor lift her up above just "getting the job done".... And once again, she's so humble about it that I think people may take her acting abilities for granted. She has taken the role of Sam and made it so multi-faceted that it's easy to believe that one woman can be a brilliant scientist, a well-respected and extremely good military officer who saves the Earth on a regular basis yet be totally human when it comes to matters of the heart. AT, from Season 7 on, showed Sam as a human being who wasn't perfectly together when it came to conflicts of the heart, but, imo, this added a depth to Samantha Carter that hadn't been seen before. There are plenty of conflicting opinions out there, but as far as I'm concerned, the whole Sam-in-love development has only added to the character, not detracted from it.

And Amanda Tapping pulled it off beautifully.....

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
            Spoiler:
            This is how I sort of feel about it as well. Sure, it was enjoyable. But there just wasn't anything really to it. I think you could have stuck Amanda Tapping and David Hewlett together in a room, told them to improvise the script entirely, and still come up with something as good as GUP was, storywise. Trust me, I have absolutely no problem with Amanda Tapping strippping down once in a while. But I want that to actually add to the story, not be the basis for the entire story.

And, for as much as I delight in seeing Amanda Tapping appear on anything, I'm not too happy seeing a significant portion of the Atlantis cast absent in order to accomodate it. As others have mentioned, there is only so much time in each episode. I think we can all agree that if Carter does cross over to Atlantis for some episodes next season, then we'd like for her to have at least as big a role as she did in GUP. But, for me, this episode indicates that the writers aren't going to be able to avoid wallpapering the Atlantis cast members when Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks do guest. And that can only lead to bad things.
            I have to say that it's so refreshing to see True!Fans say stuff like this!

Comment

Originally posted by SimilarCadence
              Amanda is one of the most genuinely nice people around. The word "nice" tends to be very underrated nowadays, but it means a lot to me. From what I've read about AT, I'm struck by her innate kindness and concern for those around her even when it's not reciprocated. She just genuinely cares about people, whether she knows them personally or not and that's rare in this world. She's beautiful without being conceited, intelligent without lording it over others. She's classy, yet has a wonderfully goofy sense of humor.
              too right, and im always so honoured whenever I get to be with her in person because she is so kind and generous. She will listen to you with open ears and genuinely care about what you have to say which regardless of whether you're well known or not, is very rare to find in another human being

I am so glad there is someone in this world like her, it brings a smile to my face just knowing that

there are many good actors in the world but I honestly doubt you'll find any of them to be as down to Earth and caring as Amanda is. Of course I havent met every single actor in the world, but just considering her as a human being, well, you really dont find many people like her

I could go on and on about how great she is, but chances are I can't fully express myself with the right words to help you understand the depth of how Im feeling atm anyway, so I shall just shut up
              - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Hhhhm. I love SG1, but crossover episodes should integrate cast members, not be An Evening With AT/MS supported by the Atlantis cast. I'm sure it won't get to that though.
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2K
                  I think we have to be careful to distinguish the difference between Sam Carter and Amanda Tapping. You're talking about Sam but I think this thread is about respect for Amanda
                  Actually this seems to be a site to both, and while I disagree about brihana's statement, she's got a right to her opinions. Personally I beleive Sam Carter is one of the most respectable characters I have ever come across, and she gets more and more distinguished as time goes on (I mean did you see heroes)? But (being a human being) she's made some mistakes. E.g when she allowed replicarter into the alpha site (But who wouldn't be intruiged by a copy of his/herself?). And unlike other people with her beauty and intelligence, she doesn't go around with her head in the cloud and up her @$$, thinking she's better than anyone. I think Agent Dark would agree.
                  1 Year 11mths without using the letter U on the thread: ask Morbo anything

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                    She came back to the show after having her baby, and is continuing to play an important part in the Stargate franchise. I respect that. I was a BIG BIG BIG fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its sister show, Angel - and one of the characters I loved (my favorite, actually) was Cordelia Chase, played by Charisma Carpenter. Lovely woman with a great character (in my opinion) who evolved through the first three seasons of Buffy, and then moved on to Angel to star with the Vampire with a Soul.

My point?

Somewhere during season 3 she got herself pregnant, and the character just took a complete NOSE DIVE. Not only did it take a nosedive, but she was absent for over half a season, and when she returned, her part was just not quite right. Then after playing a role that I didn't enjoy very much, her character just sort of disappeared (well, not literally, but I don't want to give it away if some people haven't seen Angel yet)... and finally in Season 5 she appeared in only ONE episode to finally drop the character and move on.

I have a feeling it was the actress, and that she wanted to go do something else. I guess I shouldn't be upset, but it totally ruined the character for me! Especially the way the character was developing... and the took SUCH a complete nose dive.

I was not very happy.
                    Well according to a HUGE Charisma fan friend of mine...it was Joss Whedon who made the Cordy character take a nose dive after Charisma got preggers. Kind of hard to work for someone who doesn't want you there, period.

For me, I think it might have been a little of both Charisma (reacting to the way Joss treated her) and Joss (being a butthead about her preggers state). Shame though...Charisma is AWESOME!! I'm not that crazy about Joss. He is not a "god" in my eyes. Just another sick, twisted executive who thrives on torturing his fans.

There is only so much an actor can do with any given character. If the character is given crappy dialogue and scenerios, it's not their fault - they do what they can to keep things consistent, but ultimately, it's up to the writers/producers/director to make or break a character's story arc.

THIS is why I like Amanda Tapping and I respect her. She had her baby, and all during that time (before and after) she has been a complete trooper, and her character has remained consistant. I can only see positive things in the future of both actress and character.
                    Well in Amanda's case, I get the sense that the producers et al, are happy for her and with her work and want to keep her around for as long as they can. Seems to me Amanda wants to stay as long as well. In that case, it's a win/win situation for all involved.
                    sigpic
                    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Spoiler:
                      I liked GUP, but I wasn't quite comfortable with the bra scene.

I also wonder how the writers might have a crossover when the SG-1 team is put up on a pedastal, not that I don't do the same myself. I mean, if SG-1 is so cool that they're cooler than the Atlantis team, how would they write a crossover without the Atlantis episode turning into an SG-1 episode?
                      http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/land...nchan2&s=59146
                      Shop through Big Crumbs for your online purchases to receive a little bit of your money back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                        Anyway, managed to pick myself off the floor after the pics. I loved the outfirts generally. Do you think they might be changing the SG1 uniforms to pink anytime soon? With blue bikinis for off world missions? I'm sure they'd suit Mitchell down to the ground

Haaaaa.. Happy bunny.

And, as for conventions. No way I can make the Shore Leave, but put my name down for Gabit AT2!!!
                        woohoo!

another gabiteer!!!
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Love or hate some of the stuff the *character* has done, AT has put her all into it. She is a lead in a successful show and has to be making good money, but by all accounts it hasn't gone to her head one bit. Way to go.

Comment

I haven't read the specific spoilers for GUP, but based on the negative comments I was assuming it was our "comedy" team of Joe & Paul writing the episode. But it wasn't. So maybe that explains the someone positive comments of others. I will have to tune in & check it out next month.(?)

Comment

**Lys** and **SamFan31**, really love your work, so nice to look forward to.

Just sayin', thanks for the uplift!
                              MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                              sigpic
                              Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                woohoo!

another gabiteer!!!
                                I'm hoping! I mean, I can't guarantee where I'll be, but I'm assuming it'll be Europe. Well, Easyjet accessable, at least.

Quite worried you're glad I'm coming.
                                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X